Bank Job

Artificial Soul

The Bank of YG was one of the biggest banks in all of Seoul. A large glass building, 5 flights tall. Inside there were soft chairs, soft music and soft lighting, yet the bank reception area was utterly soulless. The reception area was quiet and luxurious, looking like a penthouse with a brown marble floor, three elevators to one side, and above the desk, a row of clocks showing the time in every major world city. The advertising posters were of perfect people like most billboards. A group of people enter the bank in unison, 2 men and 2 women, moving in unison like a one being they strategically planted themselves around the lobby as one of the women excitedly prances over to the counter.

 

“What’s your name darling”~The woman asks as the teller looks up

 

“My name is Chol, nice to meet you”~Chol said smiling at the woman

 

“That’s a nice name, My name is Dahyun”~Dahyun said with a bubbly tone. Her eye’s pupils glistening a purplish color.

 

“Hello Dahyun, What brings you to the bank today?”~Chol

 

 “Killing you is first on the list”~Dahyun said giggling.

 

“Excuse me M’am?”~Chol said confused. 

 

“Bang Bang”~Dahyun said as she pulled out a handgun, pointing it at him. The bullet spat out of barrel, sailing through the glass barrier between them. It hit Chol directly in the chest, propelling him backward in an awkward cartwheel. He fell onto his back with a loud thud. For a few seconds he looked up at the ceiling as if trying to admire it one last time. Then the black waves folded over him. Many people started to panic and scream as the others pulled out guns as well. The other 3 individuals started rounding up the people trying to flee. The two men were JB and Mark, while the other woman was Chaeyoung.

 

“GET DOWN!!!”~JB yelled, firing his gun in the air

 

“No one else needs to get hurt”~Mark said as JB began taking hostages to tie up. 

 

“You’re always so dramatic”~Chae said walking over to Dahyun

 

“Oh please, call Momo, tell her we’re in”~Dahyun said reloading her gun. Every alarm sounded, calling out to all nearby police. 

 

Moonbyul and Solar were currently leaving Seulgi’s parents house at that moment. They entered their cruiser as Moonbyul looks affectionately at Solar. She had to be up front with Solar, even if she thought it was strange. It had to be done.

 

“So Solar what did Appa say to you?”~Moonbyul asked nervously

 

“He was just saying how pretty I was and wondered about my eyes”~Solar said giggling

 

“Oh that’s real nice..... you are really beautiful”~Moonbyul said awkwardly 

 

“Thank you Byul, you’ve been real nice lately”~Solar said rubbing Moonbyul’s shoulder, making her quiver

 

“Look Solar, there’s something that I’ve been meaning to ask you”~Moonbyul said anxiously

 

“What is it Byul?”~Solar asked curiously

 

“Well... I was...... just wondering......”~Moonbyul stuttered like a timid schoolgirl

 

“Byul? What is it”~Solar asked bewildered by Moonbyul’s tone

 

“It’s...... um.. just.... did”~Moonbyul stammered, palms growing more and more sweaty

 

“Byul, Your heart rate is unnaturally fast. Are you ok?”~Solar asked with a concerned look

 

“I just.... really..... li....”~Moonbyul tried saying as the radio blared an alarm.

 

“Level 3 Alarm. Hostage Situation. Possible Homicide. Shots heard at 3737 Goji Avenue, Bank of YG”~Hwasa’s voice boomed over the radio

 

“Byul, thats close by”~Solar said as Byul sighed a bit a relief. 

 

“Ain’t no rest is there”~Moonbyul mumbled while revving the cruiser.

 

The girls drive off fast, making their way through mid-day Seoul traffic. Weaving through the long stretches of street, siren blaring loudly. They reached the crime scene as ten other police cruisers lined up in a makeshift barricade. Numerous officers and synths were running around, evacuating people and investigating the immediate area. The girls exited the vehicle and headed over to assess the situation. Moonbyul strolled over to a few officers as Solar walked towards the other synths. Hyolyn, leader of the volatile crimes unit, stood there commanding other officers.

 

“How long you been here?”~Moonbyul asked Hyolyn

 

“We just got here. They killed 3 tellers and took 11 hostages. The incident happened within the last 20 minutes.”~Hyolyn said sternly

 

“How many criminals we got”~Moonbyul asked trying to ascertain the situation 

 

“There’s 4 of them, 2 men 2 women, and we’ve blocked off the entire block, these people are professionals.”~Hyolyn said as Solar walked over.

 

“They killed the cameras. I think I can still access the archived footage.”~Solar stated as her eyes went blue

 

“Okay Solar, What do you mean by professional Hyo”~Moonbyul

 

“They seem like they know what they’re doing, the power only to the first four floors are out, it’s strange”~Hyolyn

 

“Byul, They went up to the 5th floor. They shut down the elevators though”~Solar stated, eyes returning to normal

 

“Transmit that security footage to Hwasa, so we can try and I.D. these guys. Hyolyn, call for backup and begin evacuation protocols.”~Moonbyul ordered as Hyolyn saluted her

 

“Gotcha Byul”~Hyolyn said as she waved over her synth

 

“Me and Solar are heading in, we’ll call if it gets to hairy”~Moonbyul said walking with Solar

 

“You got it.”~Hyolyn said as the girls entered the building

 

“What’s the plan?”~Solar asked with intrigue.

 

“Honestly I’ve got no idea, but we got 5 floors to figure it out.”~Moonbyul said as they began walking up the stairs. On the fifth floor Mark was arming what seemed to be many explosive devices. They weren’t too big, being the size of a carton of milk. JB was searching every hostage as Chaeyoung and Dahyun kept lookout.

 

“Phones now, Hand them over. Stop talking. Hey, hey. I told you, you sit down!”~JB said aiming at the girl who refused his command. She stood in front of him, making him smile at the thought of killing someone. Dahyun walks over smacking JB across the head.

 

“Stop being rude”~Dahyun said as she turned her attention to the girl who stood up to JB.

 

“Hello. What’s your name?”~Dahyun asked in an almost friendly tone, silence was the only response she got. 

 

“Oh, you, you don’t know how to answer that, do you? You’re afraid if you answer, you’ll get hurt, huh?”~Dahyun said placing the barrel of her handgun against the girl’s chest making her shake in fear.

 

“Or you’re one of them brave ones, I can tell you one important thing though. Guns don’t care whether you’re afraid or brave. Now I am going to ask this one more time. What is your name?”~Dahyun said as she pulled the hammer on the pistol, the girl gulped and looked down making Dayhun giggle.

 

“You are a brave one aren’t you? I could tell you that I do this because I'm insane, because I have demons in my head, because I go about my business with a thousand avenging angels conducting a symphony of holy amorality, directing my every move. Because organized crime killed my father, my mother, and tortured my sister, and that they had all this coming to them. That I do this because I like it; because I like to kill, and that I'm no more alive than when I stand there looking down on them, willing the light to go out of their life, staring down at their eyes so that I can watch--so that I can feel them die. Because I revel in it. You’re wouldn’t care if you died but what about these people”~Dahyun murmured waving her gun towards the hostages. 

 

“I’m going to start killing random people in this room. They are all just bundles of nerves ready to be struck with a message to the brain, then the instant tensing of muscles, defensive against the pain, feeling like ice cold acid pouring over the body. The sound of hissing, searing flesh, the smell of burned skin floating in the air. The blood flow cut off by the bubbling of tissue and the pain receptors die, no longer comprehensive, desensitised, the body left to watch itself mutilated, transfixed. Unwilling, and unable to move. Now are you willing to tell me your name or are you going to let people die?”~Dahyun said giving a greedy smile

 

“Jisoo.... it’s Jisoo”~Jisoo said in a shaky voice

 

“Now was that so hard? Why don’t you come and join me, Jisoo.”~Dahyun said wrapping her arm around Jisoo bringing her towards Mark. He sat in front of a laptop typing away, the bombs they placed in the lobby were ready for activation. Jisoo sees the amount they had placed making her gasp in terror.

 

“Yo. We can start now.”~Chaeyoung said, gesturing for Mark to do something.

 

“But Chae, cops are still in the lobby.”~Mark said worriedly

 

“Well, that’s their fault. It’s time to get their attention.”~Chaeyoung said waving her gun with one arm.

 

“Momo and Jihyo wouldn’t approve of this”~Mark stated making Chaeyoung grow angry

 

“Does it look like they’re here dipsh*t, I’m leading this, now do it”~Chaeyoung said as Mark begrudgingly agreed. 

 

“Oh spicy Chae, you’re so bad”~Dahyun said gripping Jisoo by the shoulder as Mark typed a few things into the laptop before the lobby hummed like sound of a car engine. A series of explosions emitted from the main lobby, making officers retreat from the scene. The pillar of fiery smoke and dust, still boiling up from where the bombs had gone, was being violently agitated as a final bomb went off. A series of new flashes broke out, lifting and spreading the shrapnel all throughout the lobby, and then a great gush of flame rose. A synth was destroyed as Officer Hyolyn looked in horror.

“Good God”~Hyolyn said staring at the now decimated lobby. Moonbyul and Solar were in the process of evacuating civilians who hid on the second floor when the explosion happened.

 

“What was that”~Moonbyul asked as she helped a man stand up

 

“Byul there was an explosion set off main lobby, two officers hurt and the area seems very volatile”~Solar said as she guided two women towards the stairwell.

 

“Ok everyone please listen, we need you to keep moving, do not go through the lobby. Go down the stairwell and exit the back of the building.”~Moonbyul said as the civilians nodded in understanding. Moonbyul and Solar continued their ascension through the building. Moonbyul’s phone ringed making her answer it.

 

“Byul here”~Moonbyul answered

 

“Hey it’s Hwasa, What’s you status”~Hwasa said over the phone.

 

“Solar says the building is still structurally sound. There’s damage to the third and fourth emergency exits. The southeast stairwell is also blocked.”~Moonbyul said as they left the second floor.

 

“Byul, do not ascend. Negative. Continue to direct the employees to the emergency exit and go there yourself until we know what we’re dealing with here.”~Hwasa said sternly 

 

“I know what we’re dealing with. The assailants are still in the building. We’re going after them. Buy me some time. You should initiate the protocol. Jam all comm signals coming in and out of the building, cut their communication, and get me some backup.”~Moonbyul said as stopped to continue the call.

 

“Byul, if we jam the signal, comms won’t make it out of the building. We won’t be able to communicate. Leave the building now.”~Hwasa demanded as Byul began to smack the speaker on her phone.

 

“There’s... I can’t... What... do... Do you... Lion”~Moonbyul said as she hung up.

 

“Did you just hang up on Commissioner Hwasa?”~Solar asked confused

 

“Yeah, boring conversation anyway.”~Moonbyul said continuing their walk up

 

“I just love that you wear your insubordination like it’s a virtue.”~Solar said giggling to herself

 

“D*mmit Byul, Did we evacuate the perimeter?”~Hwasa asked Wheein

 

“Per protocol, we expanded it to a three-block radius.”~Wheein said as other officers crowded around Hwasa

 

“Lock down communications.”~Hwasa ordered

 

“Sequence initiated. Okay, signal active. Everyone switch to internal comms.”~Wheein said as all officers nodded. Back up on the 5th floor JB checked his phone, receiving no signal.

 

“They jammed us. All external communications are blocked.”~Mark told Dahyun making her smile.

 

“Law enforcement is nothing if not predictable.”~Dahyun said reloading her gun and gripping Jisoo in hand