Thrill Of The Chase

Artificial Soul

 

“Detective Byul on foot pursuit! Suspect headed south past Eunba Park! One Female in Black Clothing!”~Byul screamed into her radio as she chased Dayhun

 

Dahyun had a considerable lead in front of Byul as they ran into the park. Byul felt a raindrop fall against her skin, followed by several others, but she knew she couldn’t slow down for an second. The moon hung full and hazy beneath an eclipse of blazing stars. Her body was hit by the incoming rain, the water making her eyelids heavy. She closed her eyes for a moment, a rattled sigh passing through her parted lips, causing her breath to fog up in front of her, a breath of warm coming into her vision, as she took in the feeling of wet, bruised skin. Byul’s mind is a blur; all she can think of is her legs pedaling below her, pushing her toward Dahyun. Reaching the center of the park, Dahyun sprints into a tunnel. It’s like a cave with nothing but black and mystery beyond it. The gravel under her shoes turns to pavement, which turns to concrete as she races into the tunnel. Before she knows what she is even doing, Byul passes under the arch and enters the arch of darkness.

 

Byul’s heart is moving so fast it wants out of her chest. It wants to beat free of its cage. It pounds like it's going to crack a rib. Her senses are on high alert. Every colour is brighter, every noise louder, every stranger a cause to make my heart beat more fiercely still. She keep her vision absolutely locked on Dahyun as she chases her. They exit the tunnel, Byul slowly catching up. Dahyun pushes the hair out of her face, she skids around a corner entering the market district now, trying to escape Byul in the crowded street.

 

But she keeps coming. When Dahyun turns her head, Dahyun sees that Byul has somehow gained on her.

“STOP!”~Byul yelled as she progressively got more tired. Dahyun completely lost track of where she was. The rain pelted her as she tried to visualize the cityscape in her mind, but she was sweating so much that she thinks it’s gone to her brain. A black sedan screeches to a stop in front of Dahyun as she is pulled in by someone. Byul looks on to see Momo giving her a coy smile, the girl pulling a gun out aiming it towards Byul.

 

“EVERYONE GET DOWN”~Byul screamed as gunshots ringed into the night sky sending the crowd of people into a panic. Byul dived to the pavement avoiding the shots, the car began driving off. Byul began running before her police cruiser, driven by Irene along with Solar, arrived next to her.

 

“Get in!”~Irene commanded as Byul jumped in. The car speeding off following Momo’s vehicle. The city bends into quick flashes while the cars weave in and out of the light traffic. Solar’s eyes glow blue, scanning the black sedan, seeing figures beyond the tinted windows. Momo pops out the sunroof holding a rather large machine gun, mounting it and taking aim. Irene is driving straight on stunned by whats unfolding. Momo begins firing back towards the police cruiser when Byul grabs the wheel pulling it hard, making a sharp right turn onto a parallel street dodging the first barrage of incoming bullets. They swerve back trying to keep chase but Momo is relentless with her weapon. The front windshield exploded, shards like bullets peppering the interior leather. Irene swerved, screaming. 

 

“Where the h*ll did she get one of those!”~Irene yelled trying to avoid the gunfire while driving.

 

The car spun, wheels trailing smoke, around the corner of 5th and D.

“Gas, gas, LEFT!”~Solar said as Byul was looking for a clip to her pistol in the back.

More swearing filled the car. Irene ignored it.

“Right! Swerve! BRAKE!”~Solar instructed when Byul finally loaded her gun. She popped out the side window, readying her weapon.

Gunshots sounded out, Byul returning fire on the criminal’s car. From the tone and volume of the swearing, she wasn’t making much headway.

“Market street and Main! We can cut them off”~Solar said as Irene’s nodded in agreement. The 

Irene yanked the steering wheel. Tires screamed in agony, smoke and burnt rubber filling the air. 

The chase led the two cars to the bayside, the rain crashing against the road and ocean.

“Hold on, hold on, hold on!”~Irene chant-screamed, hoping Byul heard her. Hoping she listened.

Byul looked over her shoulder instead almost falling out of the car. 

“Holy Fu-!”~Byul cried out when Solar reached out and grabbed her by the hem of her jeans, pulling her back in. Byul took aim again, droplets of rain dripping down her face, before shooting 3 shots at Momo’s car. The bullets sailed accurately before finding their target in the back tire of the vehicle, blowing out the tire. The car rolled over, lights swirled like crazy a mini ferris-wheel and the noise of the metal being bashed over the concrete was almost deafening. The police cruiser came to a halt as the three girls got out and hurried over to the wreckage. They see Momo carrying Dahyun over her shoulder when they aim their guns at them.

“FREEZE!”~Irene commanded as the girls stopped in their tracks.

“You three have been quite a nuisance haven’t you?”~Momo said smiling, Dahyun slowly standing up herself.

“You two are under arrest”~Solar said making Momo’s smile widen

“Well that’s funny”~Momo

“And why is that huh?”~Byul 

“You three are outnumbered yourselves”~Dahyun said chuckling under her breath 

“What do you—“~Irene began saying before she was struck from behind, knocking her out unconscious. The commotion made Byul look at Irene, falling to the ground.

“Irene!”~Byul screamed before she was tackled to the ground by Momo and struck across the face sending her into a daze. Solar takes aim, about to take shots at Momo.

“SLR Code 3-4-3-2-5 Lockdown!”~A voice echoed as Solar felt her body get heavy, before completely going numb.

“What.....is......this”~Solar murmured before collapsing to the floor. The woman in white walked forward from behind Byul’s cruiser, following her were tons of women and men in black tactical gear.

“Take all three of them”~The woman said, Byul barely able to register all that was happening as a drop of blood dripped from a cut under her eye. Byul sees them grab Solar and Irene before Momo approaches her, flashing a smile before looking at Byul still conscious enough to look at her.

“Lights out Byulie”~Momo said before winding up a kick, Byul could only remember the darkness that enveloped her as she was knocked out.