Last Farewell

Artificial Soul

Solar collapsed as she left the warehouse, her vision becoming blurred as the world around her swirled into nothing. She could only hear Byul’s panicked voice as she faded out.

 

“Wheein I need you here now! Solar’s shutting down for some reason”~Byul echoed as Solar’s mind went blank. Everything was cold.  Black.  Nothingness.

 

Solar’s system had crashed from the millions of volts that had flooded her, not that it would have mattered. Crimson oil had drained from her arm during the entire repair.  She’d been beaten to the limit.  She had welcomed that ending.

 

It was better than loneliness. But as she began to fade even further her mind brought up memories of Byul. The way she smiled, the side she parted her hair, and the look that always gave Solar a tingling feeling within her systems............. almost as if she were....... human......

 

When Solar rebooted, she could tell she was lying on a very plush bed with soft sheets. She could tell that some of her parts had been soldered back together; in addition, it was taped tightly--just in case, it seemed.

 

She could hear voices..........

 

Like a groundhog, she shot up from the examining bed, scaring Wheein.

 

“Good Lord! Solar!”~Wheein said stumbling back a bit

 

“I’m sorry Doctor”~Solar apologized 

 

“It’s okay, just try and say something before you spring up next time, and don’t move too much”~Wheein said with a chuckle. Solar noticed that she was attached to some sort of device that was slowly applying skin to her synthetic body. It felt odd but she had never been this damaged before so she just accepted it.

 

“And um Solar?.......how are you feeling?”~Wheein asked coyly

 

“I seem to be rebooted and functioning perfectly”~Solar replied

 

“I mean....... emotionally?”~Wheein asked a confused Solar

 

“Huh? What do you mean?”~Solar inquired

 

“Well I ran multiple diagnostics on you, and it seems you don’t seem to have any baseline programs in you anymore, even the hardwired motherboard you have seems to reject any type of foreign data that tries to command it”~Wheein said making Solar’s eyes go wide

 

“Wait........what are you saying....”~Solar said in a trembled voice

 

“Well it seems that you have achieved something that no synth I have ever seen achieve........ free will”~Wheein said as Solar smiled with glee

 

“I gotta talk to Byul”~Solar said as Wheein shook her head

 

“Not yet missy, you need to be fully repaired and calibrated before I let you off”~Wheein commanded grabbing her clipboard

 

“Okay.......where is Byul though”~Solar asked as Wheein gave a small sigh.

 

“She’s...... She’s saying goodbye”~Wheein said, as Solar looked down at the floor, understanding what she meant

 

As Solar was getting repaired Byul first got her arm overlaid with synthetic skin to make herself more presentable first. She arrived at Seulgi’s room and stood next to the door as a commotion happened within. Seulgi lay in a hospital bed, being examined by many doctors, Irene was in the room talking and comforting Seulgi before Byul came. After what seemed like forever Irene came to the door and talked to Byul.

 

“Doctors say she doesn’t have long, say what you want Unnie, I know I did”~Irene said exiting the room with tears beginning to run down her face. Byul stood there stunned looking at Seulgi, finally mustering up the courage to say something.

 

“Hi......”~Byul said making Seulgi laugh

 

“C’mon I’m not a zombie..... well not technically. Come over sit down”~Seulgi said as Byul pulled up a chair next to her. She extended her hand to Byul, hoping she would take her offer. No words passed between them as time ticked by. Byul studied her, trying to read her thoughts. A smile formed on her lips as she placed her hand in Seulgi’s. Carefully, she lifted her from the chair and wrapped an arm about her waist. She held Seulgi close; her memorable scent filled her senses with a flood of happy memories. Like all the ones before, she wanted this moment to be imprinted – forever. She pulled away to look at Seulgi once more.

 

“Look Seulgi......”~Byul stuttered as Seulgi put her hand on Byul’s thigh

 

“Byul.....I know I dont have long. I’ve come to accept it”~Seulgi said as Byul rested her head on her shoulder. So she let her cry, and said no more, but sat with her cold hand in her warm, easy clasp.

 

“At least I can say goodbye now”~Seulgi said warmly making Byul bring her in close for an embrace. Her clasp was warm, and her slender arms seemed very protective when wrapped around her body. The world around melted away as Byul squeezed her back, not wanting the moment to end. It seemed like when was Seulgi gone she was wordless, like she plucked each vowel and consonant from and left Byul tongue tied, trying to make up a new language just to reach Seulgi. Byul had spent months counting the things she’d done wrong and the stories she had forgotten and all the ways she could say that one word to Seulgi, but it didn’t seem to mean a single thing. 

 

“I’m......sorry.....I couldn’t save you”~Byul cried as she felt Seulgi’s pulse get slower

 

“Do not put that on yourself, don’t be selfish”~Seulgi cried softly

 

“Maybe I wanna be selfish”~Moonbyul laughed a bit through her tear ridden face

 

“Sometimes being selfish makes you feel so good”~Seulgi murmured as she gave a small smile

 

“Just to let you know I approve of Solar, she’s cute.”~Seulgi said making Byul giggle

 

“I could never love as much as I missed you”~Byul 

 

“I missed you too”~Seulgi spoke feeling her chest become more shallow

 

“You know it was never the act of saying goodbye that hurt me”~Byul murmured as more tears streamed down her face

 

“Oh, what was it then Byuli”~Seulgi said in a pained voice

 

“It was the thought of trying to go on in a world without you”~Byul said embracing Seulgi more. Time slowed once more, as if Byul's brain needed a “photograph,” a keepsake to give her strength in the rough times to come. Then, after time unmeasurable, she felt Seulgi’s heart beat slower, bringing Byul back into the moment, as if her heartbeat was the clock, the only time-keeper that mattered. The rythmic sound was a balm to her mind, a seed of nature's peace given so freely.

 

“Goodbye baby......”~Byul said as Seulgi’s hug became looser. Pain clouds Byul’s eyes, like blooming bruises across her vision, and she weeps so gently from the deepest part of her lungs.

 

“Just remember its......”~Seulgi murmured as she went limp, her body falling over as Byul caught her.

 

“Okay......It’s okay. I know....”~Byul said as she lay Seulgi down in her bed. Byul walked out of the room as a few doctors entered to take Seulgi’s body away. Seulgi was gone, permanently this time but Byul felt like she finally got closure for once. She continued in her stride and walked over to the Wheein’s lab as Solar walked out.

 

“Hey Byulie”~Solar said walking out giving Byul a hug, feeling just as warm and inviting as Seulgi’s. Byul brought Solar in tighter as they embraced. The hug is stronger than anything she’d ever known, as if holding her wasn’t quite enough, she’d have to feel every ounce that she was press into every ounce that is Solar. In that moment of feeling her so close Byul felt awoken, more alive than she had been in so very long. For there are times she is a butterfly who yearns for the cocoon, to be safe within comfort, protected. That’s what Byul felt. In that moment she finally realized, she could finally........let go.

 

“What’s with the long hug?”~Solar said making Byul smile.

 

“I just want you remember you don’t have to scared you’re not enough, cause what we’ve got going is good”~Byul said as she went in for a kiss. Solar tilts her head toward Byul’s and without thinking her hand tucks Byul’s hair behind her ear. Then they kiss like there was no choice, kiss like they’re the finest thing they’ll ever taste. Solar kissed Byul harder and the world fell away. It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words would never be. Her hand rested below her ear, her thumb caressing her cheek as their breaths mingled. She ran her fingers down her back, pulling Byul closer until there was no space left between them and she could feel the beating of her synthetic heart against her chest. Solar pulls away looking at Byul’s eyes softly

 

“Also can we lay down a new rule?”~Byul said 

 

“And what would that be?”~Solar asked puzzled

 

“I know you’re but no more choking okay?”~Byul said as Solar elbowed her in the side, making Byul flinch

 

“You greasy hamster”~Solar said making Byul chuckle

 

“C’mon Solar let’s get back to work.”~Byul said taking Solar’s hand, 

 

“Hey Byul, can I actually name myself? You can still call me Solar I just want to try something out”~Solar asked shyly

 

“Oh yeah what’d you have in mind?”~Byul replied

 

“Yong......call me Yong”~Solar said with a smile, Byul returned with a smile of her own

 

“Yong, let’s get back to work”~Byul said as they were walking towards their police cruiser.

                                       ~The End~