Dread In the Air

Artificial Soul

 

 

“Hello? Are you there?”~Jennie spoke over her phone

 

“I’m right here, Jennie.”~Moonbyul said switching her earpiece back to the call

 

“Is anyone coming?”~Jennie requested hopefully 

 

“You just hang tight. We’re gonna be with you real soon.”~Solar said as she and Moonbyul exited the third floor

 

“Did you hear the drone call?”~Jennie asked hiding deeper into the utility closets

 

“Yeah, I did. Can you tell me how many hostages they’ve got up there?”~Moonbyul 

 

“10 or so. At least in this room. It’s hard for me to see.”~Jennie said trying to make out everyone in the room

 

“You’re doing great, Jennie. How’s your girlfriend?”~Solar said with reassurance 

 

“This is all my fault. She wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for me. She’s visiting from out of town. She just stopped by to have lunch, and now they have her.”~Jennie said growing more and more anxious 

 

“Jennie, can you tell me what kind of weapons they have?”~Moonbyul asked as they reached the fourth floor.

 

“They keep coming and going, moving around; I don’t know. I’m sorry, I can’t do this. I’m so scared.”~Jennie muttered as she began hyperventilating and crying. The paralyzing fear spread through her body like icy, liquid metal. She clenched her fists as she hesitantly stood in the closet. She felt her very own feet tremble. Her legs twitched, fighting the impulse to collapse.

 

“Calm down Jennie, breathe....... you ever been fishing?”~Moonbyul asked trying to calm her down

 

“No.”~Jennie retorted confused

 

“When I was 11 years old, my dad took me fishing at Yedang Reservoir. We were coming back, and all of a sudden the boat toppled, and I went right under. I couldn’t see. I couldn’t breathe. I thought I was gonna die. The water was so cold, it was like thousands of needles stinging every part of my body. And then my dad jumped in, and he grabbed me and started dragging me back to shore.”~Moonbyul said, Solar looking at her perplexed

 

“What you getting at, Byul”~Solar questioned

 

“And even though we were still in a lot of danger, I felt safe. I felt like, everything was gonna be okay, because I wasn’t alone. Jennie, you’re not alone. I’m with you. Everything is gonna be okay. Do you believe me?”~Moonbyul said with a calm, soothing voice.

 

“Yeah, I do.”~Jennie said, voice strengthening in tone

 

“All right, good girl. You just hang in there.”~Moonbyul said as she and Solar made their way through the fourth floor offices.

 

“Oh god!”~Jennie cried through the microphone, Dahyun grabbed Jisoo by the hair dragging her towards Chaeyoung.

 

“Hey they’re taking to long, Imma kill this one”~Dahyun said as Jisoo’s eyes went wide into a panic.

 

“Be my guest”~Chaeyoung said handing Dahyun a knife.

 

“What is it Jennie?!”~Moonbyul called out through the phone.

 

“Detective Byul, Solar? I’m going out there. They’re going to hurt Jisoo!.”~Jennie said trying to find the will to do it

 

“Jennie, that’s a bad idea. We’re one floor away.”~Solar warned

 

“She needs me. I need her. I can’t just sit back...  ...I want to be with her.”~Jennie said as she exited the closet

 

“Jennie, just stay where you are!”~Moonbyul advised as she sped up with Solar

 

“I’ll leave my phone open. You’ll be able to hear what’s going on.”~Jennie said crawling over to a nearby table.

 

“Please Jennie, it’s too risky. Listen to me, just stay put.”~Moonbyul urged, reaching the fifth floor stair case.

 

“I have to.”~Jennie said leaving the phone on a nearby table

 

“Jennie, please, just listen to me. Jennie. Jennie, are you there? Jennie D*mmit!”~Moonbyul cursed storming up the stairs fast.

 

“Please!!!!”~Jennie screamed running into view of the four assailants.

 

“Looks like you missed one JB”~Mark teased as JB punched him

 

“Don’t hurt her please!”~Jennie said, making Dahyun smile

 

“Ooooh, so this is your squeeze”~Dahyun said letting go of the bound Jisoo. Jisoo tried screaming “No” but to no avail, the gag in prevented her.

 

“You’ll be way more fun to kill”~Dahyun said grabbing Jennie by the arm. She flashed the knife around Jennie’s neck making her quiver. Dragging the cold flat end over her skin giving her goosebumps.

 

“Do know why I like knives? I mean just look at it. Isn’t it a beauty? You’ll see it has an eight inch blade with a cross piece and a ribbed center on both sides. It is designed to fit exactly into the palm of your hand...this is still the greatest murder weapon ever invented. Guns are noisy. Guns can jam. But the knife is a true friend. It will do its job instantly and it will never let you down.”~Dahyun said as she brought Jennie in close.

 

Moonbyul  and Solar made it to the fifth floor door and carefully got on either side. They pulled out their guns and looked at each other.

 

“Solar, flash breach, switch on your reflectors”~Moonbyul said, putting on her special blue tinted sunglasses. Solar nodded, the white part of her eyes went blue forming an almost reflective surface. Byul pulled out a small circular ball from her coat pocket. She clicked a button on the ball and rolled it under the doorway, as it made a rumbling noise. It rolled and rolled making its way to the center of the room. Mark walked over to it and picked it up in his hand.

 

“What the is this”~Mark said as the door was kicked open. Moonbyul and Solar burst in taking aim. The ball exploded in a flash of light, making Mark reel in pain, as he curled up on the floor grabbing his eyes. Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and JB were blinded as well. Moonbyul grabbed JB by the neck, as Solar did the same to Chaeyoung. Dahyun quickly grabbed Jennie in the confusion using her as a human shield. JB escaped in the commotion, leaving the three women in a hostage standoff. 

 

“Drop your guns!”~Dahyun yelled, exchanging her aim between Solar and Moonbyul.

 

“You’re out numbered, surrender now”~Moonbyul ordered as she cocked her gun

 

“I’m not going to jail”~Dahyun said shooting 3 shots at them, wounding Chaeyoung in her abdomen. Byul shot back hitting Dahyun in the arm. She flinched in pain as she tossed Jennie towards out the window, Byul threw JB down as she ran to the window catching Jennie as she almost fell out. Chaeyoung ran to Mark’s laptop hitting the keyboard. The explosives set earlier chimed as the screen showed ‘Charges Armed 2:00’. Dahyun ran for the emergency exit along with Mark and Chaeyoung following closely behind. Moonbyul pulled Jennie in and ran over towards the hostages untying all of them.

 

“Get out now! Down the staircases hurry”~Moonbyul said as all the hostages started evacuating. Byul ran to the laptop, trying to deactivate the bombs, but to no benefit.

 

“D*amn its locked, Ok we gotta leave Solar”~Moonbyul said as she turned towards Solar. She started towards the exit as she noticed Solar stagger a bit grabbing her side. Moonbyul ran over to her and saw that Solar was shot through her abdomen. Her synthetic flesh was torn apart showing mechanical pipes and wires. A blue fluid slowly dripped from the wound as Solar almost collapsed. Byul reached out and caught her, hoisting Solar’s arm over her shoulder.

 

“My internal systems...... are compromised Byul”~Solar stuttered

 

“C’mon, we’ll patch you up”~Moonbyul said as they began their escape.

 

“Byul..... I am heavily damaged......”~Solar groaned in agony

 

“Yeah I can see that”~Moonbyul said as they descended the stairs

 

“Byul.... leave me... You’re higher priority”~Solar uttered as her internal systems slowed

 

“Stop talking like that, Your synth is showing”~Moonbyul said as they rounded the second floor.

 

“There’s..... that word again”~Solar said as her voice began to grow staticky. They moved as one unit through the building reaching the lobby. The bombs on the fifth floor detonated sending out an enormous explosion. It was as though wave of a yellow inferno had decided to crash it’s way out of the main complex. All the windows from the top 3 floors shattered. Ripples of fiery clouds rushed out from the fifth floor. Millions of pieces of glass and steel, a deadly rainfall, showered down making officers take cover. Alarms - shrill and deafening- erupted. A huge bite had been taken out of the side and the roof of the building. The violent tremor knocked Byul and Solar to the ground. Byul gets up stunned as she looks at the main door in defeat. A large metal girder had fallen against the door, blocking the exit. Byul ran up to it and started trying to move it. Using all her strength and synthetic arm she tried pulling it away. She exerted herself so much her arm began tearing blood vessels. A wave of pain suddenly washed over her as Solar looked on; For Byul it was the worst burning sensation she had ever felt, even worse than actually being burned. Adrenaline had masked the jagged injury for at least a little while, but then it started biting.  Byul collapsed, falling backwards onto the floor next to Solar. The building rumbled slowly from the now weakened foundation.

 

“Byul, my servos are heavily damaged, save yourself, you can crawl through the rubble.......It’s OK”~Solar said making Byul shake with anger

 

“No! NOT AGAIN!”~Moonbyul yelled as she got up, trying the door again. She nudged it a little but not enough for a person to go through yet. For a second she felt too weak too continue, her head fell onto her shoulder her eyes flickered. Eventually, the pain settled into a sort of sharp throbbing that kept time with her heart, like someone was poking it repeatedly with a burning stick. Another pair of hands suddenly grabbed the other side of the girder, helping Moonbyul throw it to the side. It was Jennie and Jisoo standing in the doorway. Jisoo assisted Byul and Jennie helped Solar as the ceiling and pillars began collapsing in. The girls made it out at the very last second. The lobby now was now a pile ruined concrete. Byul composed herself and bowed to Jennie and Jisoo. 

 

“Thank you for saving us”~Moonbyul said, giving them a hug.

 

“Just returning the favor”~Jennie said smiling

 

“I couldn’t thank you two enough”~Jisoo said as she walked away with Jennie. Moonbyul walked over to Hwasa as she gave her a pat on the back. 

 

“All hostages are safe, but that was reckless Byul”~Hwasa said turning her attention towards Byul.

 

“Just saving lives, boss”~Moonbyul groaned, while massaging her hurt arm

 

“It’s going to be a paperwork nightmare.”~Hwasa stated 

 

“And I thought you had come down here to thank me.”~Moonbyul sarcastically said

 

“For what? Doing your job? Just for the record, I did tell you to get out of the building, right?”~Hwasa said

 

“I swear, all I heard was static.”~Moonbyul mumbled as she walked away. Byul walked towards Solar who now had a metallic band around her wound. Wheein finished her diagnostic and then was off to help the others. Solar sat atop the step of the bank looking around for Byul. She sees Byul walking up, making her smile. 

 

“Thank you for what you did back there.”~Solar said as Byul sat next to her

 

“Don’t mention it. Besides, no one messes with my girl.”~Moonbyul said making Solar look at her

 

“Hey, Byul, you know that story you told Jennie, when you fell through into the lake as a kid? When I was shot, I felt something similar. I... I didn’t want to die. I know it’s not the same with me, but...”~Solar said with a raspiness 

 

“Hey, dead is dead.”~Byul 

 

“Yeah. I suppose so.”~Solar said looking down at her feet. Byul’s palm caressed her cheek, the lines on her hand catching Solar’s attention. They swirled on her hand like an unfinished drawing. Byul’s fingers were her cheek, making her feel warm.

 

“Byul.... what are... “~Solar said as Byul grabbed her hand. Byul’s left hand was sweaty and intertwine in her’s. Her hand fixed perfectly in Solar’s, Byul’s long and thin fingers, completing the space left in between. Solar scanned Byul up and down, seeing the sincerity in her face. Her hands bore the innocence of a young girl; soft and delicate. Her hands were like the missing puzzle piece to Solar’s. Byul’s a tiny palm had long, thin fingers, she could be a pianist. Solar looked deeply into Byul’s eyes, trying to look down.

 

“I’m a synth...... This wouldn’t work Byul”~Solar muttered as Moonbyul grabbed her by the chin

 

“There’s that word again”~Moonbyul said leaning in towards Solar. Tilting her head, Solar looks at Byul from the corner of her eye. Byul kisses her cheek and Solar spins to face her, wrapping her arms around Byul’s waist. The world around Solar blurs as she looks into Byul’s eyes. Her arms reach up and tangle around Byul’s neck. Solar breathes in sharply and kisses Byul delicately, her arms encircling Solar’s waist drawing her in, Byul’s lips hungry for more. Solar felt something she never thought she’d feel ever. An entire ocean of ink wouldn’t be enough to describe them. They were a starburst of light amongst the darkening day. They were all the stars in the sky condensed into a single point. They were everything and nothing at the same time. Together, they were both a beautiful dream and an unlikely pair. 

 

“I dont know how this will work but we will”~Byul said smiling at Solar

 

[Later That Day, Somewhere in Busan]

 

Dahyun walks into a darkened warehouse gripping her injured arm as Chaeyoung, JB, and Mark were sitting down on around a table.

 

“Can’t believe you shot me”~Chaeyoung said as she was dressing her wound

 

“You’re alive aren’t you?”~Dahyun said sitting down at the table

 

“Boss is gonna be mad”~Mark said as she sees a black SUV pulls up. Out steps Momo, Jihyo, and a woman in white. Momo leads her towards the table as the everyone gets up to bow to her. 

 

“To be fair boss It wasn’t my fault”~JB said as the woman in white pulled out a short revolver, pointing it at him.

 

“And you ran away cause......”~The Woman stated cocking her gun

 

“The plan was already gone when that detective stormed in!”~JB said making the woman sneer

 

“And you weren’t there to help”~The Woman said as JB backed up

 

“Woah Woah Boss! Please! You cant kill me!”~JB said putting his hands up.

 

“Well you’re right”~She said putting away her revolver, giving JB a moment of relief.

 

“I already did this week, Jihyo!”~The woman said as Jihyo grabbed JB by the neck choking him. JB struggled until the moment where Jihyo snapped his neck, making him go limp. Jihyo always hated it when they didn’t struggle for too long, it never satisfied her when they died so fast. JB slumped in his chair dead as Momo dragged him away. The woman in white looked at her other henchmen, Dahyun noticeably looking nervous.

 

“Now I want that detective gone”~The Woman said as she clasped her hands together.