Bad Reflection

Artificial Soul

Author’s Note: Bonus Valentine’s Day Chapter

The crowd has a life of its own, the vibrant clothes shine in the morning light and the people move like enchanting shoals of fish. There is chatter between sellers and buyers, old friends catching up, new friends made. It's busy for sure, but the hustle and bustle brings a life to this city Byul wouldn't want to be without. Walking through the beautiful Handong district, Byul and Solar were making their way towards a little flower shop beyond this wall of people. Solar loved this city with every fibre of her being, sure there are thieves in the crowds, but for every one of them there are a hundred angels in the rough. The people that mill with forlorn faces and broken eyes have hearts of pure light within them just waiting for the right circumstances to break loose. It is in their basic human programming to be good, kind and loving, hardcoded into their DNA. Solar and Byul trotted along into the flower shop, Exceed In Dreaming. They walked up to the front desk to be greeted by an old friend of Byul’s

 

“Hey Byul, who’s the new girl”~LE said winking at Solar, making her blush

 

“She’s my partner, we came to see Hani if she’s here”~Byul asked as LE allowed them to go into the back.

 

After making their way through the flower shop they run into the owner, Hani dressed in a blue dress cradling her baby bump. 

 

“Oh Byul, Solar! It’s great seeing you, what are you doing here”~Hani said arching her back a bit

 

“Hey Hani, how you doing?”~Moonbyul said giving Hani a small wave

 

“I’m doing fine, now why are you two doin here?”~Hani asked as Solar gave an uncomfortable look

 

“Well, Miss Hani, Yesterday we caught a criminal Dealer, Park Jihyo.......”~Solar stated making Hani clasp her hands together.

 

“Yes...... and?.....”~Hani stuttered staring at the two girls.

 

“Jihyo was the one who killed Solji”~Moonbyul mumbled as Hani cupped , trying to hold back tears.

 

“Catching Jihyo has proven Solji’s innocence, she was doing her job till the end”~Solar said when Hani leaned forward, her bump rubbing into Solar.

 

“Thank you....thank.. you....”~Hani said through a muffle of tears. Solar reached out and hugged her tightly, her arms as a barrier of comfort, a hug so warm yet so different than a regular embrace. Even though Solar couldn’t feel the actual hug, she felt Hani’s raw emotion. Hani pulled away wiping the tears from her face. Out of complete silence the cry arose. Out of reverence the girls remained still to listen. Like a budding flower it started. Slow and gentle but it rose to a wail that tore at Solar’s heart; only one voice crying out but the sorrow gave feeling to that of an emotional wave of sadness. Every ear in the room stilled to listen, Byul’s heart broke, so heavy so miserable was Hani wale. Solar felt a weight of sorrow press into her chest, as if Hani’s cry gripped her heart. Her mind clouded with pain, her heart grew cold and numb with pent up emotion. She felt clogged with pain, anger, hurt, and fear. All she could do was join the cry. So Solar let out one long mournful cry into Hani’s hair. Solar comforted Hani when Byul joined in on the hug. After a few minutes they separated wiping tears from each other’s face.

 

“I couldn’t thank you both enough”~Hani said composing herself.

 

“No problem just doing our duty”~Solar said bowing her head.

 

“Take care of yourself Hani”~Moonbyul said as she and Solar left the shop. As they made their way to the car Solar took the driver’s seat this time making Byul do a double take.

 

“Um whatcha doing girl?”~Moonbyul asked confused

 

“I’m going to need the cruiser, I need to get a diagnostic from Dr. Wheein”~Solar said when Byul hopped into the passenger seat.

 

“And you’re gonna drop me off at home first?”~Moonbyul said making Solar nod in agreement

 

“You really handled that well”~Moonbyul said as they drove off

 

“Well I just wanted Miss Hani to feel better”~Solar inquired, speeding through the city

 

“I’m proud of you baby girl”~Moonbyul said making Solar look at her coyly

 

“New nickname? I like it”~Solar said making Byul blush

 

“Well gotta mix it up, every once in awhile”~Moonbyul said as the car reached the apartment

 

“Ok I’ll be back in a bit, Byulie”~Solar said giving Byul a wink. She smirks, leaving the car as Solar drives off. She walked up through the building up to her apartment to rest. Byul detaches her arm for repairs and jumps onto her couch looking at the ceiling. Closing her eyes, letting her mind wander she starts thinking of Solar again, that synth girl was always dominating her mind nowadays. Solar permeates her every thought. Byul wondered how to ask Solar for...... more intimacy. Each time she thinks of something she rehearses how to ask Solar in her mind, imagine her reaction, rehearse her response. As Byul thinks about her, Byul’s mind's eye sees how the light plays on her skin. Each time she smiles Byul feels the rush of warmth, the spark of hope for something between them. When she met Solar, Byul already lost her entire world. How did she hang on to something so incomprehensible? How did she keep pouring hate everywhere? But then Solar came into her world. There was something in those brown eyes that was so beautiful, so safe and warm. In just one look Byul felt "wanted." She tried pushing away but Solar reached out and made the connection, and like if it was arranged, She fell for Byul just as hard. That first day they talked, just the two of them, Byul still recalled the conversation, the feeling she gave even if Byul was quick to shoot her down. Solar didn't know it, but that day saved her. Byul can attribute Solar for that and she couldn’t thank her enough. While thinking to herself she hears the doorbell ring. Byul walks to the door, thinking “that was fast.” She opens the door to see Solar, but different. She now wore what seemed to be a white blouse and skirt. Solar’s hair was a light pink, almost like a cherry blossom tree. It was also short but not too short as it still could be wavy. Her soft cheeks and defined features brought a smile to Byul’s face. Solar strolled in gently shutting the door behind her.

 

“What’s with the new....”~Moonbyul tried saying when Solar leapt forward kissing her. As she pulled away Byul gazed at Solar longingly; not a word spoken by either of them. She pushed Byul softly onto the couch. Byul became lost within the breathless paradise of her dreamy eyes and no sooner without any authority Solar clutched her hands unto her hips, leaning Byul in against her body; as a result Byul was weakened by her gentle seductive touch. While pressing Solar’s body against her’s and Byul continued gazing into Solar’s eyes, she begun kissing Byul’s now frail neck which made her even weaker than before. Solar just felt different, almost like she was different. Out of the corner of her eyes Byul sees the front door open again and standing there was........ another Solar? Solar but dressed and looked like how she would regularly look.

 

“Hey Byul, why’s the front door......”~Solar said, stopping when seeing the pink haired Solar on top of Byul.

 

“Look I can explain.....”~Moonbyul began saying as the pink haired Solar gripped Byul by the neck and attempted to attack her. Before she could though, real Solar tackled her to the ground. 

 

“Who are you?! Who sent you?!”~Solar said pinning the pink hair girl to the floor.

 

“I am S.L.R. 34-5, I was sent here to kill your little girlfriend”~The S.L.R. said trying to wriggle out of Solar’s grip

 

“Why?!”~Solar screamed as Byul went to attach her arm.

 

“Oh did I strike a nerve? I just wanted to have a little fun but are you irritated that your little girlfriend was all over me”~SLR teased making Solar angrier

 

“Shut up....”~Solar said with a wavering voice.

 

“Solar we can access her memory when we bring her to to the precinct”~Moonbyul said making SLR snicker

 

“Oooooh, your handler sure is smart, good thing you have such a beautiful one”~SLR said winking at Byul, filling Solar with more rage.

 

“Shut...... Up.....”~Solar said in a louder tone

 

“Makes no difference we probably both feel the same, Detective Byul wouldn’t care which one she had”~SLR teased making Solar more irate

 

“Stop..... Shut Up!”~Solar yelled gripping SLR by her collar

 

“We’re both just little copies, you know that, and I do too. Now be a good little synth and listen to your master”~SLR said making Solar uneasy. It was like a vexing of her emotions, it was twisted and distorted but it was something strong. It burned so bad like fire lacing her mind and creeping through her body, she suddenly felt a desire; a desire to hate. Solar was intoxicated with emotion she had no intention of thinking about her next action. There was stillness in the room. If hatred was visible the air would have been scarlet. Then suddenly, movement, as Solar raised her fist up. 

 

“SHUT UP!”~Solar screamed 

 

“Solar! NO!”~Moonbyul called out trying to stop Solar, but it was too late. Solar brought her fist down straight through the pink haired SLR’s face. Smashing her head into hundreds of pieces of metal and synthetic skin. Solar pulled her hand away from what used to be the face of her other self. Clenching her hand tight as she sees how she obliterated the SLR. Byul tries putting her hand on Solar’s shoulder as she pushes her away.

 

“How could you...... “~Solar muttered as tears streamed down her face. Solar got up and ran out the door leaving Byul in her apartment.

 

“Solar, Wait!!!!!!”~Moonbyul called out as Solar disappeared from sight.