Choices I’ve Made

Artificial Soul

Seulgi’s eyes were hazel but not the kind of shade that's easy to describe. It was almost like they were both brown and gold at the same time, with the colour creeping in around the edges as if it were trying to take over. She blinked and the beauty was momentarily covered by the shield of her eyelashes; naturally long and soft looking compared to the rest of her well structured features. By the time that Seulgi’s eyes opened again, Byul had still not recovered from her intense stare. It was a stare that communicated the former pain, and her wish for Byul to let go and to move on. But she could not move on, just as she could not forget those glaring eyes whose light never faded even in death. 

 

Seulgi’s eyes were giving a glare that was freezing Byul’s bones, like being in the middle of a hailstorm, where every chunk of ice was a frosted dagger cutting into her skin. A full year after Seulgi’s passing the mourning had not run it's course. The heaviness was in Byul’s limbs as much as her mind. Things she used to find funny now only caused a deepening of the pain. The way Seulgi would smile, the way she would laugh to her, even the way her voice echoed in her mind. Seeing Seulgi again broke her like a mirror cracked from years of pain. Byul began to tear up when the window began to close. Seulgi tried running forth as did Byul.

 

“Byul!”~Seulgi cried when the window closed

“Seulgi! SEULGI!”~Byul screamed at the white wall to no avail. Solar looked on as Byul slumped her body against the wall and slowly slid with her back to it, sitting down as tears streamed down her face.

 

“Well well well, look at who must be reconsidering my offer now”~Yongsun said with a chuckle. Byul sat in silence, white knuckles from clenching her fist too hard, and gritted teeth from effort to remain silent, her hunched form exuded an animosity that was like acid - burning, slicing, potent. Her face was red with suppressed rage. Byul gets up and grabs Yongsun by the collar of her dress shirt, pinning her against a nearby wall. Momo and Dayhun quickly hurried out aiming their guns at Byul.

 

“Byul?!”~Solar yelps in surprise at what the detective just did

 

“Now now no need to get violent”~Yongsun said with a smile. Byul wanted to cry as rage filled her very being. She felt her face getting hot. She glares at Yongsun, teeth clenched

 

"HOW DARE YOU?"~Byul snarled

Yongsun sneers at her then laughs only adding fuel to her wrath. 

 

"You think this is funny!?!?" Byul snaps. 

Yongsun glares at her with hatred in her cruel dull eyes. 

 

"Well I made this Seulgi to test the effects of my long term cloning. I made her ten hours ago.”~Yongsun said making Byul back away.

 

“If I receive the formula now I can save her”~Yongsun said to a distraught By

 

“Or you could ditch this synth, and go with a real woman”~Yongsun said gently rubbing Byul’s chin, filling Solar now with anger

 

“I still need the chip either way, So what’s it gonna be Detective? Im waiting”~Yongsun asked making Byul even more angry. Every word stung only fueling the fire that burned inside of her. Every violated phrase was like gasoline to it, her fists began to clench and her jaw rooted. Burning rage hissed through Byul’s body like deathly poison, screeching a demanded release in the form of unwanted violence. It was like a volcano erupting; fury sweeping off her like ferocious waves. The wrath consumed like, engulfing her moralities and destroying the boundaries of loyalty. Solar had never seen Byul like this. Solar had never seen Byul any more vulnerable, any more human. 

 

It is human to feel the light and the dark. It is human to have a full range of emotions - a full "tool kit." All those feelings are normal and useful depending on the situations we find ourselves in. They evolved to have them all, they just have to know when it is appropriate to use them and what to do with unwanted feelings of anger or negativity. Solar thought she understood but she could never understand Byul. The desolation Byul felt was all consuming. Her mind became an icy wasteland, the wind howled in her soul and wrapped icy tentacles around her heart so tightly it almost stopped beating. Byul didn’t know what to do. She felt emotionally bankrupt. The was nothing left to feel, nothing left to say, nothing left but the void that enveloped her mind in swirling blackness. All she is is anger and sadness, every other emotion pushed from her being. Where there was the love, the light, the laughter is an aching hollowness. She had to be honest, truthful with herself. Was bringing Seulgi back right? How could she do this?.......What about Solar.............She looks at Solar with an empty expression.

 

“Byul.....”~Solar murmured making Byul tense up.

 

Cold logic alone brings cruel choices, for in the absence of love the greatest logic is rendered stupid in the worst way. It takes love to bring a smile, from within or another source. Love is the greatest of intelligence, the beauty, the reason to have joy and laughter, giving the ability to sustain herself now and into the future. 

 

Byul walked towards the lockbox with tears in her eyes. She inputed a series of numbers before the box sprung open. Byul rummaged inside looking for something. Inside contained a series of objects but the thing that Yongsun desired, Byul held in her hand. The data chip was betwixt her fingers, the reality of the situation finally setting in. What she held could bring Seulgi back............ Byul walked over slowly toward Dayhun, Momo, and Yongsun, handing Yongsun the chip shocking Solar. She took it with a smile, not noticing what Byul had in her other hand. 

 

“Now was that so hard?”~Yongsun asked walking towards her computer. She began typing away before Byul spoke up.

 

“I dunno, was this....”~Byul said quickly disarming Dayhun and holding her hostage. She slid the gun over to Solar who grabbed it and took aim. Momo raised her gun laughing at Byul.

 

“What are you even doing Byul?”~Momo asked

 

“Buying time......”~Byul murmured revealing what was in her hand, making Momo grunt in anger. Yongsun turned towards the commotion only to see Byul holding in her hand a transponder from her lockbox, broadcasting their location directly to Police Station.

 

“Well we got 10 minutes”~Solar said as the room fell silent.