Memory_Log//:First_Date

Artificial Soul

The sushi restaurant was full of life. Byul looked around at the busy tables. An old couple eating side by side, one glass of wine each, studiously bent over their meals. A group of young women in their thirties collapsing with helpless giggles as a stern woman dining alone nearby looked on and frowned. Businessmen in their grey suits lighting up cigars. International tourists, trying to decipher the menu. A family and their teenage children sitting around. It was barely past breakfast and the restaurant was packed. Byul didn’t mind though, as long as she had Solar, she didn’t feel like it was too much. They sat outside around a black marble table next to a line of bushes. Their waiter brought them their drinks, while Solar looked around in awe.

 

“So from what I understand, sushi is raw fish”~Solar said as she looked around the room in awe.

 

“Yes you are correct”~Moonbyul said pouring herself a cup of sake. A sour and vile taste slipped into Byul’s mouth, nullifying her, stealing away reality in favour of fantasy. She came to lust after it like no other, the strong tonic becoming her only “cure.” Solar looked at her with a dissatisfied reaction, shaking her head.

 

“Byul, it’s 10 in the morning”~Solar said looking at  Moonbyul pouring herself another.

 

“Yeah and?”~Moonbyul said drinking her second cup

 

“From the scans I’ve took on you, I don’t think alcohol is good for your liver”~Solar said making Byul stop her drinking.

 

“Ok first question, when did you scan me”~Moonbyul inquired making Solar blush

 

“Well... do you remember the morning when you saw me ”~Solar

 

“Yeah, wait?! You scanned me while I was asleep didn’t you!”~Moonbyul said as Solar laughed.

 

“A little bit, your health seems to not be in the best place”~Solar

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”~Moonbyul

 

“Well your body fat content has a projection to rise over the next few years I estimate a 20kg weight gain from your current diet”~Solar said making Byul squeeze herself

 

“I’m not even fat”~Moonbyul retorted as she gripped her waistline

 

“Also your lack of ual activity has raised your stress levels, do you wish to participate in later”~Solar said making Byul almost choke on her drink.

 

“What else did your “scan” tell about me huh”~Moonbyul asked, drying her spilt drink

 

“You’re allergic to radishes, You’re 162 cm tall, and your cup size is......”~Solar was saying as Byul stopped

 

“OK OK Ok.........Enough, you gotta ask before you scan me now, its common courtesy”~Moonbyul said when their waiter brought over the food. The plates were delicately prepared to perfection, exquisitely made rolls of sushi now lined the table.

 

“So this is sushi, it seems very odd”~Solar said as their waiter handed them a SD card the size of a potato chip.

 

“What’s this?”~Moonbyul asked holding card up

 

“Oh thats a volumetric taste microchip, your friend is an S.L.R. right?”~The waiter said gesturing towards Solar

 

“So this will help her taste?”~Moonbyul asked giving it to Solar. 

 

“I already have a one of these”~Solar said confused. 

 

“It’s a new one, you S.L.R.’s are older synth models right?”~The waiter said making Solar grumble under her breath. She slid the chip into her wrist as her eyes glowed purple.

 

“My name is Solar, I would prefer not being called that”~Solar retorted 

 

“Oh of course M’am”~the waiter said leaving the 2 girls

 

“Ok you ready to try it”~Moonbyul said handing Solar a roll of sushi. The synth girl picked up her chopsticks and began to eat. Her eyes went wide as she tasted it. The rich aroma of the dish wafted into her nose and beckoned her. She could not resist the delightful sensations that whipped up inside her mind at the mere thought of delving teeth deep and fast into the soft texture of the sushi roll. Sauce spread atop in copious amounts and the wide assortment of ingredients sprinkled in the perfect amounts mingle to produce a taste unlike any other: salty, peppery, fishy with a whiff of Japanese cuisine and a tinge of Korean flavor.

 

“This tastes delicious!”~Solar proclaimed as she shoved more into

 

“I knew you’d like it”~Moonbyul said while eating her roll

 

“What is this green paste?”~Solar asked pointing to the pile of wasabi.

 

“It’s wasabi.......”~Moonbyul said before Solar interrupted her

 

“Ok that looks good”~Solar said as she swooped up the entire pile of wasabi, shoving it into . Moonbyul gasped seeing Solar swallow the entire thing.

 

“Ooh this taste very bitter, and........ Aaaah..... aaaaaah!”~Solar said fanning with her hand. The fragrance is strong, with radish and pepper undertones and the taste is hot with a bit of an initial bitterness that burns a bit after. Solar grabs a the bottle of sake, downing it to try and mellow out the spiciness. The alcohol mixed with the wasabi making Solar gag. Her stomach contracted so violently that she had no time to react properly. Chunks of sushi covered in the creamy wasabi from her stomach were propelled into the air and splattered into a nearby bush. She heaved again and once more the bush was sprayed. Byul rushed over and held onto Solar, patting her back to ease her. Now Solar couldn’t look forward without seeing her own puke and she was feeling weak. She sank into her chair and retched until only clear blue liquid was coming up. felt sore from the synthetic stomach acid that was layering it and tasted of vomit. Byul got her a glass of water from a nearby table and helped her drink it. The synthetic stomach-acid stench of vomit filled Solar’s nostrils. She surveyed the mess with watery eyes and her stomach dry-heaved again.

 

“Solar? You ok”~Byul said as she rubbed Solar’s back

 

“I don’t think.... I like...... (bleh)”~Solar murmured, vomiting again. With one violent contraction the congealed contents of her stomach emerged in the again, nothing had a chance to digest. She wiped at , residue forming a shiny patch on her wrist. This lasted for about 10 minutes before Solar felt better again. She was sat in her chair, head slumped over onto the table as she felt nauseous. Byul was with her the entire time comforting her as much as she could. Solar’s feelings are so neutral most of the time. To feel something different there has to be a positive or negative event. It brings her back to when Byul saved her from the collapsing building. As long as Byul was beside her, she felt ok, as if the she was being enveloped in a wave of warmth. She now knows that Byul would be there for her no matter what.

 

“Hey you ok Solar?”~Moonbyul said as she rubbed Solar’s shoulder

 

“Yeah yeah, I’m ok now”~Solar said looking up at Byul, smiling

 

“What? Whats with that look”~Moonbyul said smiling back.

 

“Just glad to have your help”~Solar said as she reached for a hug. Byul snuggled in, embracing Solar closer.

 

“You’re the only person I know that feels this good to hug.”~Solar said, rubbing her face into Byul’s shoulder

 

“Well, love, who else would I rather be with?”~Moonbyul snickered. In that moment her arms squeezed a fraction tighter and Solar breathed more slowly, her body melting into Byul’s as every synthetic muscle lost its tension to the comfort she felt. In that moment of embrace, Byul’s phone rang making her check it.

 

“Hey its Byul”~Byul answered, flicking the phone screen

 

“We have a code 5. Double homicide. Officer down. West side, Pier 14”~Wheein said over the phone making the girls get up from their brunch date.

 

“Back to work I guess”~Solar said as they walked to the car

 

“An officer’s job is never over”~Moonbyul said hopping into the car. Solar briskly followed as a woman watched them from afar. Her purple hair hidden underneath her hood. She sees the two drive off, she giggles to herself.

 

“Oh my, the boss will think that’s interesting”~Dahyun said as she walked away