Jennie Kim | The Heiress

Truth Be Told
REMINDER: I AM NOT A MEDIC OR ANY OF THE SORT. ALL MEDICAL TERMS AND INFORMATION STATED ARE PURELY BASED ON MINIMAL RESEARCH AND THEREFORE, CONSIDERED FICTIONAL. 
PLEASE JUST ENJOY :) 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

"Here are your avocadoes, princess."

 

 

I opened my eyes as soon as I hear the door closed.

 

 

"Well at least you call me something else other than your bland 'Ms. Kim'." 

 

 

I sat up and looked at the bag filled with avocadoes. I sighed and unexpectedly drew a little smile. "...and you're too kind for your own good, Roseanne Park."

 

 

I rested my back on the head board and reached for my laptop under the pillow.

 

 

I opened my e-mail and found the message I was expecting to receive this day. 

 

 

 

 

APPLICATION FOR NEW YORK MEDICAL COLLEGE

 

 

DEAR MS. JENNIE KIM, 

 

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN RECOMMENDED FOR A DIRECT INTERNSHIP AT OUR MEDICAL CENTER FOR SURPASSING A STUDENT-LEVEL AVERAGE ON THE TEST AND INTERVIEW.

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING TO BE PART OF OUR TEAM. WE HOPE TO WORK WITH YOU AS SOON AS WHEN IT IS CONVENIENT FOR YOU. 

 

SINCERELY, 

NYCM - GENERAL SURGEON DEPARTMENT

 

 

 

 

"It's soon as I thought." I muttered with a sigh. "I guess I need that surgery right away." 

 

 

I applied for college for New York because... Well, because it is too much to be here, and if my body fails me anytime soon, at least I'm doing what I love. 

 

 

I graduated here in Seoul, "A promising heiress" as they say. As early as year one, my family said I was already a genius since then. Maybe I am, so what? My father will only use it for his own advantage. 'Run this hospital' my . Me as CEO? Yeah, never going to happen. 

 

 

The only mistake I made was... I played with fire. I pretended that I hated what I love, that I hated med school, that I hated being alongside professional surgeons and watch what they do best. I was lying to everyone else just because I don't want anyone to see me as the future of my father's company.

 

 

I thought that it was only my escape goat but... I just made a fool out of myself. I partied, I drank and smoke until theres nothing left in me... until I got what I deserve; this illness.

 

 

Based on my studies, it's barely a 20% chance for a young adult to have it, and the "lucky" me got that little .

 

 

I accepted the fact that it was all over for me, considering that the residents here can't perform my surgery on a successful rate. How did I know? I was an intern here myself, a year earlier than Roseanne Park.

 

 

Yes, even though I rebelled a lot I still managed to pass. I can't help it, I love what I was doing and studying for. There was even a time when I planned to burn all my books but I ended up crying while hugging them. No, Jennie Kim did not just do that.

 

 

When I was on the verge of actually accepting my fate as a heiress while being an intern, my first mild attack happened, followed by another, and another... until I'm here; bedridden.

 

 

As I was saying, it was a hopeless case for me until that Kim Jisoo came. I can say that her intelligence is on par with mine, that I got a little intimidated. I wanted to learn from her, I wanted to be all nerdy with her. Her techniques were versatile, that I almost didn't believe it. I was in awe every time she spoke, especially with that beauty. I mean, how can a girl be that smart and pretty at the same time? 

 

 

To be honest, I thought I was already falling for her until Roseanne first walked into that door. I didn't see anyone or anything, just her... Just her, looking lovingly at the other doctor. I can't blame her though, Kim Jisoo is beyond perfection. 

 

 

It was too obvious. "Too bad" I thought at that time, but I didn't mind any further. I don't deserve that either anyway. "Love"? What the hell is that? It's just a waste of my time and energy. Though I like getting her attention, but that's just that, nothing more.

 

 

I reached for an avocado in boredom. I was never hungry nor wanted an avocado anyway, but I don't want anyone to eat a single one of what she gave me...so I guess I'll start eating.

 

 

"Why did you buy a bag of it, Roseanne?!" I grunted as I look at the fruit. 

 

 

Knife. I need it. I slowly got off from my bed, but realized it was too difficult. I grunted in defeat and went back to my stance. How am I going to eat this? Should I call her again now? Hmm...maybe a bit later. I want her to miss me, I thought and giggled foolishly. 

 

 

 

 

 

I know that I shouldn't be moving too much but I need to. I missed being healthy. After a few weeks from my first surgery, I got a chance to go out. That was when I took that exam and interview from NY. Unfortunately, my body failed me again. I knew I over-exerted myself. I don't know why I got foolishly stupid as days go by but, maybe I just got desperate. 

 

 

That's why I'm currently under observation if I need another surgery. It's just a minor one compared before but with the internship in NY at hand, I will be needing it. 

 

 

I sighed so hard that I wanted to face palm myself. It's so stupid of me to think that I'm too young to get sick. 

 

 

 

 

To get those thoughts out of my head, I just reached for the remote and the television instead.

 

 

"It's almost time isn't it?" I asked myself while checking the time for that show I make sure to watch every week.

 

 

 

Flashback... 

 

 

"I found you!" I shrieked in excitement as she successfully caught me. I was worried she wouldn't at first but I somehow knew she would... She always does. 

 

 

"Wow! You're very good at this!" I complimented to which she smiled adorably like always. 

 

 

"Aren't you hungry?" I asked and she just nodded. I pulled her hand and we went towards the kitchen. 

 

 

"Jennie!" I halted at the sound of my father's voice. 

 

 

"You're late for lunch again." 

 

 

"We were just playing-..." 

 

 

"I don't care! Leave that girl if you must! This won't happen again, do you understand?" The stern in his voice send chills but to the girl next to me, she was already shaking the moment my father shouted my name.

 

 

"Yes daddy, I'm sorry." I said while looking at the floor as I hold her hand to calm her down. When my father nodded, I quickly pulled her again and we sat at the dining room. 

 

 

"Hey...it's okay, he's just like that. He won't hurt you." I defended. Well, more like hoped for it. She gave me a tight smile just so I won't worry. 

 

 

That's just it. She's always like that. She'll smile and force herself to calm down just to assure everyone she's okay...but she isn't, she never was. I never saw a genuine smile or laughter, I never felt that she was genuinely happy. 

 

 

"Have some more of this spicy noodles! You like this right?" I offered and served some for her. 

 

 

She smiled again as she reached for the bowl. She tasted the soup and her eyes widen. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Mmm! It's delicious! Thank you, Nini!" She said enthusiastically as if I was the one who cooked it for her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Present... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

​​​​​​... AND TO TOP OUR K-CHARTS THIS WEEK, AGAIN... IT IS...

 

 

 

 

 

I looked at the television again with the faint sound of it as it echoes through my drifting mind. 

 

 

 

I smiled, knowing the name of the winner that the MC was going to announce. My smile grew wider when the cameras finally showed her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You've grown up so well..."

 

 

 

 

 

I felt my eyes water for a moment but I quickly wiped it out.

 

 

 

 

 

"You're energetic as ever..."

 

 

 

 

 

I chuckled a little, having a bittersweet feeling in my chest. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"...but you still wear that same smile, Lili."