Kim Jisoo | The Pediatrician

Truth Be Told

 

 

 

 

 

“Jisoo!”

 

 

“Chaeng!” I said back as I turned my head to see the girl. I opened the door to my new office and she helped me carry my things inside.

 

 

“What brings you here?”I asked as I was roaming around. It was my first time seeing the office since I literally begged the surgical department to let me go. Why, if you may ask? This girl; Park Chaeyoung a.k.a. Roseanne Park and me; Kim Jisoo are the ‘famous’ team surgeons dubbed as ‘The Revolutionaries’ of today’s medical era in Seoul.

 

 

Here at Seoul’s most prestigious hospital; Seoul International Medical Center, houses the remarkable doctors in different fields, all literate from known universities worldwide. Chaeyoung studied in Melbourne for her PhD and surgical specialties. She was already famous in her younger years as intern here, having the ‘magic hands’ she demonstrated on an emergency situation that saved the life of the one and only heiress and future CEO of the hospital itself.

 

 

As for me, I took my PhD here in Seoul and my master’s degree in the States. I garnered my internship and probably my gateway as the ‘young intellect’ at the College of Surgeons, New York. When fate brought me back here in Seoul for a timely vacation with my family, the current CEO a.k.a. the father of the heiress personally requested me to lead the team that will perform a cardiac revascularization for a 23-year old girl. I thought at that time, ‘how did a girl who is a year younger than me got such heart disease?’ That alone piqued my interest, and my thirst for challenge just couldn’t reject the opportunity.

 

 

The hospital was well-equipped. I couldn’t deny the similarities in NY, and was actually proud that my hometown can produce such technology. The only one that’s missing is someone who is knowledgeable enough to operate those for several medical techniques, and of course… that someone is yours truly.

 

 

I can’t say it was easy though. I had a hard time working with the team because they were my seniors. First reason was most of them didn’t like the idea of listening to a young girl who just came in to the picture and suddenly leading their team. Second was, no one, and I mean no one had the audacity to perform my technique as it was ‘too risky’ and ‘nearly impossible’ to accomplish.

 

 

Well, not until Chaeyoung happened. The arguments and senseless meetings took its toll for two weeks that even worsened the condition of the patient. We all knew we needed to act. As a lead for the team, I consulted it directly to the CEO that I needed someone who’s bold enough to perform my technique because obviously, I can’t do it alone. Having Chaeyoung as an intern at the hospital already, she was called for an immediate residency to be part of the team.

 

 

I believed Chaeyoung. I don’t know if I was just desperate at that time or that I had this instinct when I first saw her, that I felt light and comfortable with her presence. I didn’t know and I still don’t know. What mattered is that I trusted her and she did the same with me. I instructed and she delivered and hence, the success of ‘The Revolutionaries’.

 

 

It was a two-favorable outcome for CEO Kim Hyunsuk; The life of her daughter, and the life of his business where he just combined two young surgeons who might change the future. Well, at least those were the words from the magazines.

 

 

To cut it short, Chaeyoung right here is my best friend. No doubt about that.

 

 

“Are you sure about this?” She asked for the hundredth time.

 

I chuckled. “Yes Chaeng I am. Could you help me reach that?” I said as I pointed at the shelves.

 

“See? How can you reach things without me?” She said while handing me dusty old documents.

 

“I can always call you.” I smiled widely.

 

“Aish jinjja!”

 

 

I laughed with her cuteness. “I’ll definitely miss our dept. and you Chaengie, but I told you I need to do this. I can’t perform well if I’m always… out of myself.” I looked down, eyes suddenly glued at the floor.

 

The other girl sighed and went closer to me to give me a gentle hug. “I’m sorry if I was a bit pushy. I just… really miss you so much. What’s left with me there are old people.”

 

 

I laughed. “Aish! You rude girl!” I tapped her head playfully and she giggled.

 

 

“Okay, but at least have lunch with me every day!” Chaeyoung demanded.

 

“Seriously? You’re the one to talk huh? You always have lunch with your… princess.” I said teasingly.

 

“What?! My princess?! Yah! I seriously don’t know what to do with that heiress.”

 

 

I laughed again. It’s always fun teasing her. Since after the surgery, CEO Kim demanded one of us to be his daughter’s personal doctor who checks her from time to time, more than necessary if you ask me. And Chaeyoung here, well… she lost the bet in which I was really glad because that heiress is a brat. Who lets a doctor deliver the patient’s food personally? Who lets a doctor massage the patient’s temple or back for no apparent reason? Aish jinjja this poor, poor Chaengie.

 

 

I pouted as sympathy for the girl.

 

 

“Okay fine. Since I have a more flexible schedule, I’ll make sure to check on you on my free time. How does that sound?”

 

 

She didn’t utter any word but shrieked in excitement instead. I laughed and pulled her for an embrace.

 

 

“You’re the best!”

 

 

“Aren’t I?” I said proudly with playful brows and she just laughed at my silliness.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

I sighed in relief.

 

 

“First day huh? Good thing there’s no patient.” I smirked and checked the time once more as it was almost time for consulting hours to be over.

 

 

“A good idea to call Chaeng.” I muttered as I scroll my contacts. When I was about to hit the call button, the door gained few knocks and it slowly opened. I grunted silently. Right timing huh…

 

 

As I slightly peeked to see my visitors while tapping my fingers in curiosity of who my first patient might be, I saw a tall girl all in black with a hoodie on and a face mask. She was with a lady maybe in her thirties who’s in black too, carrying bags. I was waiting for another person who will pop out of the door, a child to be exact. Well, this is the pediatrics department isn’t it? But surprisingly enough, it was just the two of them.

 

 

The tall girl was the first one to walk in but she was hesitant to come closer, so the lady did.

 

 

“Excuse me Doctor, I’m Vivi but you can call me Vi.” She extended her hand and I stood up and shook with her. “Hi. I’m Dr. Kim, Kim Jisoo.”

 

“And this is…” Vivi gestured the tall girl to come closer in which she hesitantly obliged.

 

“Lisa” The girl said. She had a low voice but pleasing to the ears.

 

“Okay then, what can I do for you?”

 

“Well… you see, there aren’t any available doctors to do check-ups at this hour. One of the nurses said they had their early leave and suggested to check here.” Vivi said.

 

“Oh… so the patient is?” I shifted glances between them, figuring out who is who.

 

“Her” Vivi said while pulling Lisa’s wrist to come closer. Is she perhaps… mentally disabled? I wondered because of her odd behavior.

 

 

I gestured for them to sit at the chairs beside my desk as I prepare the blank medical records.

 

 

“Could you please fill these out first?” I was handing it out to Lisa but Vivi reached for it. Oh, maybe she can’t write? My curiosity grew wider with each passing minute.

 

 

Vivi handed out the forms and checked it. Lalisa Manoban, quite an odd name. Oh, she’s from Thailand. Interesting.

 

 

“So… there are no records of anything that could be at risk for health. What exactly is she having trouble with?” I asked Vivi.

 

“Colds and coughs. She’s taking medicines but it has been going on for a week already.”

 

I nodded. “Okay. I’ll have to check.” I stood up and went closer to Lisa.

 

“Um… Could you remove your jacket and mask? I need to check your vitals.” I requested and she just nodded while removing her mask first.

 

 

She had these beautiful lips, and nose, and eyes. I realized that she’s a beauty. Well, I’m fond of swooning over beautiful men or women anyway so it doesn’t bother me much.

 

 

As I checked her, I noticed how nervous she was and she flinched at my every touch and the stethoscope’s cold press. She’s too sensitive.

 

 

I finished and there isn’t anything alarming. It’s just plain coughs and colds, but I needed to be sure. So I talked to Vivi again.

 

 

“Okay… first things first, I needed to ask, does she perhaps have a psychological concern or any-…”

 

“Yah! I’m normal!” Suddenly, Lisa objected that it startled both me and Vivi. Vivi just laughed uncontrollably after few seconds.

 

“I’m sorry Dr. Kim, but Lisa here is just afraid-…”

 

“Yah! I’m not afraid!” Lisa looked at Vivi with much annoyance but the lady just laughed. Lisa then wore her hoodie back on as well as her mask.

 

“I-If there isn’t anything wrong with me, can I go now?”

 

“Yes you may.” I smiled looking at what’s only visible of her; her eyes. It looked innocent, and… in pain. Wait, since when did I become a psychiatrist? I shooed my thoughts away as both of them already stood up.

 

“Thank you Dr. Kim.” Vivi shook hands with me again.

 

“Anytime.”

 

 

While Vivi went for the door, Lisa seemed to freeze on her spot, confused.

 

 

“T-Thanks!” She said awkwardly and extended her hand. I looked at it, a little surprised with her gesture, but I shook it still and gave her a smile. There goes the eyes again, it was so… dark? She was staring at me like she was looking through me, not at me… if that made any sense. As it became a little more awkward, I decided to make the atmosphere much lighter.

 

 

“Oh, and one more thing Lisa.” I searched through my cupboard and got the jar of lollipops and gave her one.

 

“Here, take it.” Lisa just stared at me and then at the candy.

 

“W-What? A-Am I a kid?!” She complained.

 

“Why? I eat candies too.”

 

“I don’t like lollies!”

 

I chuckled. Lollies? What an adorable little kid.

 

 

I put away the jar of ‘lollies’ and reached for my mini fridge to get a little pack of drink.

 

 

“Then, here. How about chocolate milk? This one’s yummy!” I said like I was convincing a 5-year old to take my treat.

 

“Aish jinjja I can’t believe this! Onni she treats me like a kid!” Lisa grunted as she complained to Vivi while pointing at me.

 

“Because you are Lalisa! Hurry up let’s go home!” Vivi demanded, while waiting by the door. Lisa rolled her eyes and I can’t help but smile with the cuteness.

 

“No! I’m not a kid!” She lightly stomped her way to the door but stopped midway and went back to face me. She then hurriedly walk towards me and took the drink from my hand.

 

“Fine, I’ll take it.” She mumbled then both of them exited. I stand frozen in my spot and thought of how odd the girl was. You’re not a kid alright, you’re a baby.

 

“Lalisa Manoban… interesting enough for my first patient as a pedia.” I mumbled to myself as a smile was plastered on my face.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

“Chaeng!” I called for Chaeyoung but this girl was spacing out too much while holding a few sheets of paper on her left hand and her phone on the other.

 

 

“Park Chaeyoung!” Still nothing. What happened to this girl with me gone for just a day?

 

 

I walk closer and thought that I’ll a little. “Yah! Roseanne Park!” I called and she jumped, looking at me with furrowed brows.

 

 

“Whoa there, easy Chaeng.” I said with hand playfully surrendered and I laughed. I always with that name with the tone of the CEO’s daughter, because that heiress always call her like that and I find it really amusing, especially when Chaeyoung gives off this face of hers. I laughed again, this time not containing it.

 

 

“Yah! How could you laugh at me when you left me alone here with all of these stress?!” She retorted.

 

“Alright, alright! I’m sorry. Let me treat you today. Let’s eat!”

 

“Really?!” She said, her reaction switched in an instant. Aigoo… food is really her happiness.

 

“Yeah! Let’s celebrate my first day.” I grinned at her.

 

“Okay. Give me ten minutes!” She said as she returned the papers to the nurse at the counter and ran off.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

“So, how was your first day?” Chaeyoung asked after a drink of her lemon tea.

 

“It was… quite interesting.” I said.

 

“Really? How so?”

 

“I got my first patient.”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes slightly widened in excitement. “Really?! Girl or boy? Was the kid adorable?”

 

I laughed at her questions. Yeah,she was adorable alright…

 

“She... is a healthy 23-year old baby.” Chaeyoung was about to have a mouthful of her pasta but she immediately put it down upon hearing my statement, still open. I laughed harder with her reaction. What a meme queen!

 

 

“Are you serious? She’s about my age!”

 

“Actually, that was my first thought too when I saw her details. Well, she’ll turn a year older in a couple of months so… yeah you two are on the same age.”

 

“But you’re a pedia! Oh wait, was she a special case? Is she mentally ill? That should be on a different department though.” She reasoned.

 

I chuckled before I spoke. “No it’s not like that Chaeng. There wasn’t any available doctors for a walk-in check-up so…”

 

“Oh… I see. So how was it?” She said and continued eating.

 

“It was really interesting. Her condition was nothing serious though, but her personality makes me curious.”

 

“Oh… How so?”

 

“Hmm… I honestly have no idea. She can be innocent then mysterious in a split second. She gives off this cool and dark aura but complained when I offered her candies because she doesn’t like ‘lollies’” I laughed when I remembered the scenario but Chaeyoung looked disgusted.

 

“What a weirdo.”

 

“Yah! You wouldn’t think that once you see her though. She’s really pretty.”

 

“Aish jinjja there you go again checking out girls!”

 

“What’s wrong with that?” I asked, although I already know what she’s going to say next.

 

“Aigoo… a pretty girl like you should get a boyfriend!” She said. This kind of talk kept taking its toll ever since she knew I was into girls same as I am into guys. I’ve accepted that part of me way back on my teenage years though, but Chaeyoung here kept insisting otherwise.

 

“I would if that boyfriend will actually show his face to me.”

 

“Yah! A lot of guys are lining up to you! Want me to mention their names?”

 

“Well none of them are interesting!”

 

“And this patient of yours is interesting?”

 

I gave it a thought. She was interesting, true but I guess it’s too early to judge. Besides, who knows if we’ll see each other again? That could be the first and last. If so, I’m glad enough to have her as my first ever patient as a pedia. I won’t forget that.

 

“Aish whatever Jisoo.” Chaeyoung said, disturbing my thoughts. I just laughed at how she rolled her eyes at me, finding me completely hopeless.

 

“You’re the one to talk huh? I bet you’re going down to business with the CEO’s daughter.” I with a smirk.

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes widened and I couldn’t be more entertained. “Yah Kim Jisoo!”

 

I couldn’t contain my laughter and I was already holding my stomach with too much of it. “Be honest Chaeng! Was it good?” I more when a blush was evident on her cheeks.

 

“I don’t even like one tiny bit about that girl!” She scowled but I just continued laughing.

 

“Calm down! Sheesh!” I said.

 

“Could you not remind me of my misery?!”

 

“Okay, okay! I’m sorry, I just missed you!”

 

 

My smile slowly faltered when Chaeyoung suddenly got serious while she stared at me.

 

 

“I missed you too.” She said as her eyes glistened. Didn’t I say how much of a cry-baby this girl is?

 

“Aish jinjja! There you go again!” I chuckled at her cuteness and pinched her cheeks. “Cutie Chaeyoungie!” I teased.

 

“Y-Yah! S-Stop!” She complained almost inaudibly. I released her cheeks as I laughed.

 

“Yah! You being a pediatrician really do get to you huh?” She said while touching her swollen cheeks.

 

“Of course! I always do that to my little bro-...” I stopped and I unconsciously stared at my hands upon remembering the excruciating reality that my little brother was already gone.

 

 

“I used to do it to Doyoung.” I chuckled a little to avoid any awkwardness. “You know right? You two used to be my Chae-Do-Youngies. When I shout ‘Youngie!’ the both of you will answer.” I added.

 

 

I wasn’t hearing any from Chaeyoung but I saw her hand reached for mine and I lifted my head to look at her. She smiled sweetly before saying any words. “Hey… I’m still your ‘Youngie’ right? I’m still here Jisoo.”

 

 

I smiled back at her. No words can express how much I’m thankful that Chaeyoung came into my life. I think I wouldn’t have even survived the loss of my brother if it weren’t for her. Heck, I wouldn’t even get to operate on the heiress if it weren’t for her. We will always be partners no matter what.

 

 

“So make sure you’ll never leave me okay?” I said playfully.

 

 

“Yah! Who’s the one who left me?!” She retorted but I just laughed at her.

 

 

 

It’s always like this with her and it keeps me sane. Everybody talks like we have our futures settled, and I think I agree. I mean, I know both of us love what we’re doing, we know what we want to achieve and we’re absolutely lucky for that but… we’re just young adults too who feels, have emotions, and struggles with everyday trials such as not having hot water in the pantry for coffee.

 

 

 

Life’s pretty ordinary for us too.