Park Chaeyoung | The Surgeon

Truth Be Told

 

 

 

 

 

“So make sure you’ll never leave me okay?” Jisoo said.

 

 

“Yah! Who’s the one who left me?!” I once again complained, but she just laughed. To be honest, I live for those laughs of hers. It has been only four months since her little brother died. He was just seven years old. The worst part is, he died in Jisoo’s arms.

 

 

 

Flashback…

 

 

 

Jisoo and I were on a day off when the accident happened. Doyoung was hit by a car that was driven by a drunk driver. It was too late when the driver realized he went pass the red light and unfortunately, Doyoung was one of the pedestrian. Some witnesses said that another pedestrian pulled him back but it wasn’t enough to save him from the disaster.

 

 

He was in a critical condition that needed an urgent operation. We were an hour away from the hospital when Jisoo got the emergency call. I didn’t let her drive of course, but I can feel each second ticking past us, every second counted. The both of us were informed of the medical information about the operation that will be performed on Doyoung and both of us knew that it was a hard one. Both of us knew that we’re the only ones that could perform that on a successful rate.

 

 

Jisoo was anxious. Who wouldn’t be? She kept calling the head surgeon and although her methods were simplified and instructions were so précised, I know it was still hard to execute… and she knew that too.

 

 

“Yes Doctor. You have to be careful when you execute that; it’s near an artery. I-I know it’s difficult, but please, at least keep him… k-keep him around until we get there.”

 

Her voice was the same when she gives instructions but this was probably the first time that I actually hear her stutter.

 

 

“Chae, can you drive f-faster?” It wasn’t an order but more like a plea… and it wasn’t for me to just drive faster, but to drive faster and operate on her little brother ourselves. Doyoung needed us.

 

 

But… like fate tricked us, we didn’t make it. It was like a scene from a drama where we witnessed doctors rushing to him and performing CPR, where we witnessed him having a flat line as the sound of it resonates in my ears.

 

 

Everything fell quiet and my heart broke into pieces when I witnessed Jisoo in too much pain like her whole world came down crashing right in front of her, when she ran and held her brother in her arms. It was the first time that I saw her cry.

 

 

 

 

Present…

 

 

 

 

From that day, I made sure that I’ll make her smile whenever possible. It was hard. There was even a time when she didn’t want to see me anymore and although the words that came out from her were very hurtful, I know she didn’t mean every single one of it… because I saw the glint of guilt in her eyes, I saw how she regretted it the moment she spoke of those words. Maybe she did want me to go, but I know she needs me to stay.

 

 

She blamed herself too much that it destroyed her. It was painful to witness; she neither eats nor sleep, I would find her in her room breaking down all of the sudden or worse; in different places on the city. I was just too lucky that I always find her but to be honest, there was nothing more that I could do. All I could do was to stay and wished that I could take all of her pain.

 

 

 

 

Right now, I’m just so proud of her; that she came standing back up, she’s being silly again, she’s smiling again, she’s teasing me again, and I hear her dorky laugh again.

 

 

 

 

“I love you, Chaeyoungie!” Jisoo suddenly blurted out and gave me a side hug as we went out from the café.

 

 

“I love you too.” I said back gently as I return the hug. This is something normal for us. Jisoo will say it very randomly like a little sister who showers love for her onni, although she’s older which I find very, very cute.

 

 

 

 

“Sister”

 

 

 

 

Of course… what do I expect? That she’ll love me back the way I do? Romantically, I mean. Yes she’s the confident gay, yes I’m still not out in the closet, and yes I force her to date guys instead.

 

 

 

 

Why?

 

 

 

 

I don’t deserve her.

 

 

I only want what’s best for her… and that’s not me. I want her to marry, to have kids of her own, to grow old with someone to take care of her; I want her to have a family.

 

 

 

 

I can’t possibly give her that, right?

 

 

 

 

I clenched my fist at the thought; thoughts that have been continuously running on my mind ever since… well, I don’t know when I started having these feelings I wish I didn’t have… but what’s important is her; as long as she’s happy and smiling, it is enough for me. I love her that much.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

“Doctor Park…”

 

 

I closed my eyes with much annoyance. My back was already facing her and she still has the sass of calling me once more. I looked at the door and thought of how near I am into escaping this lair, and yet my luck had disappointed me… again.

 

 

So near yet so far… my beloved escape.

 

 

I inhaled deeply before turning back around to give my custom-made smile for the very own heiress of this beloved hospital.

 

 

“Yes Miss Kim?”

 

 

She groaned. “I told you to just call me by my name. Is that so hard to do?”

 

 

“I’m sorry Miss Kim, but that would be inappropriate.” I said. And no, of course I don’t want to call you that, you brat.

 

 

“Whatever.” She said as she rolled her eyes at me. I felt my eyebrow flinched a bit. She takes too much of my energy. I can’t-… ­­

 

 

and she can even cut me off with my thoughts.

 

 

“I don’t want this apple.” She pushed away the poor sliced apple from her tray.

 

 

So what? Then don’t eat it!

 

 

“Why? You need fruits to keep you healthy, Miss Kim.”

 

 

She gave a flinch of annoyance when I kept calling her that way and I find it absolutely entertaining. “Hmm… I want avocadoes instead.” She then said with a hopeful voice same as a child’s.

 

 

What? Who eats that… mushy stuff?!

 

 

“I’ll check if there’s any at their kitchen.” I said and hurried a little towards the door. Please let me escape. Please… just a little more-…

 

 

“Oh, and Doctor Park?”

 

 

Aish jinjja! What now?!

 

 

“Yes, Miss Kim?” I said as I turn to face her.

 

 

“If… there aren’t any avocadoes in their kitchen…” She trailed off, first giving a playful smile then giving that deathly stare like a cat’s.

 

 

“… Do. Something. About. It.” She finished. Of course, she is THE princess. If this girl finally runs this hospital, I swear I’m quitting… and I’m taking Jisoo with me.

 

 

“I’ll see what I can do, Miss Kim.”

 

 

I hurried towards the door once more and finally got out. I grunted till the ends of the earth, no one knows where. I don’t know how I can survive with that brat, especially that I can’t see Jisoo more often.

 

 

I heaved a sigh as I press the elevator’s button weakly. How can I love a ‘Kim’ so much and hate another?! How ing ironic.

 

 

As the doors of elevator opened, my life gets more ironic when I see the Kim of all Kims.

 

 

“Mr. Kim…” I bowed to the CEO and moved aside as I was expecting him to come out on this floor.

 

 

“Hop in, Doctor Park.”

 

 

I just smiled awkwardly and stepped inside. Does he ever visit his own daughter?

 

 

“How’s Jennie?”

 

 

Why don’t you check for yourself?

 

 

I cleared my throat a little before answering. “Her condition is improving each day, Mr. Kim.” Well, the way your daughter treats me, she should be.

 

 

“Good… I know she’s in good hands.”

 

 

No… please keep her away from me.

 

 

I gave a tight smile and just nodded awkwardly. This man is just too intimidating. I don’t know how Jisoo can talk to him so casually though. She teases this man just like how he plays around with her family; she even sings her greetings to him! Goodness… there’s really something wrong with that girl.

 

 

“And about Doctor Kim…”

 

 

I jolted with the sudden topic because I was just thinking of her. I need to tone down with coffee, I thought.

 

 

“…have you talked her out about coming back to the Surgeon Department?”

 

 

“N-Not yet, Mr. Kim. I think she really needs a time off.” I defended.

 

 

He sighed and massaged his temple a little. “I need her back on the team. I’m counting on you to bring her back, Doctor Park.” He said and went out to the second floor. Everyone knows he has matters to attend to when he goes to this floor, and I know very well that this time it involved Jisoo leaving the department.

 

 

Great… from avocadoes to this. Everyone’s counting on me huh?

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

Here I am pressing the elevator button again with a bag of avocadoes in my hand. Of course there’s not even a single piece of this fruit in their kitchen. Wait… is this a fruit or a vegetable? Ugh… whatever, why do I even care?! Aish! What a handful. To think I’ve got a lot of paper works to do.

 

 

 

 

I opened the door and saw the princess sleeping soundly. I went closer and put the bag of avocadoes on the desk alongside her bed. Should I serve some for her already? I picked up one while hesitating doing it. Hmm maybe later. She’ll call for me for sure anyway. I put the avocado back in the bag. I sighed and checked her I.V. drip, adjusting it lightly.

 

 

Just like my senses were on automatic, I also checked her status from the equipments, her written record, her bed height, her pillow, her blanket-…

 

 

Wait.

 

 

Just wait Park Chaeyoung... too much checking. Damn, I must really love my job, I thought sarcastically.

 

 

As I was busy mocking myself, I can’t help but notice the details of how pretty the girl is. Yes, her attitude is really something else but she is no doubt, very beautiful; the way her eyes shaped like wavy almonds and her fluffy mandu cheeks… Okay. No. I can’t possibly think like this. Is this how Jisoo check out girls?

 

 

Wait, what? Okay… I really need some rest… and probably food, I said to myself as I try to shoo away those ridiculous thoughts.

 

 

 

 

“Here are your avocadoes, Princess.” I muttered. I know she’s sleeping but I don’t want to be loud. The beast in her might wake up and I don’t want to test my luck any further today. I walked out from the room and at long last, I’m free from the heiress. Well… at least for now.