Jennie Kim | At First Sight

Truth Be Told

 

 

"You're what?"

 

"I'm staying."

 

"Because?" What the hell is she up to? 

 

"Because who knows when something might happen to you?"

 

I scoffed. Who is she to play doctor now? 

 

"Excuse me? Just who do you think you are-..."

 

"I am your doctor and you are my only patient, as Mr. Kim advised me." Roseanne Park told me sternly. 

 

"Are you for real?" I asked in disbelief. 

 

"Yes. I'm going to get my clothes and come back. Don't even bother to lock your door and go out. I have a duplicate of the complete set of keys and security all around you 24/7. Do you understand that, Ms. Kim?"

 

"W-Wha-..."

 

Before I could even protest, she walked past by me after that threat of hers and walked out the door. I swear she's bipolar. In these times, I am most confused of who you really are, Roseanne. 

 

I walked slowly, towards the tall glass windows of my unit as I collect my thoughts of her effect on me these past few days. 

 

In most times she's the hard-working doctor Park, but sometimes she's a drunken madly-in love Chaeyoung, sometimes she's the innocent, easy-to-fool Roseanne, and sometimes... Or, most of the time... She's... She's my... R-Ro-... 

 

​​​​​​Phone ringing...

 

I heaved a heavy sigh. What the hell was I about to say? I looked at my phone and I almost wanted to thank this person for disturbing my thoughts. 

 

But nevermind. I rolled my eyes when I saw who it was. 

 

"What? Dad.

 

"Jennie, I have a business trip for a month or two. I don't exactly know how long but you'll know. I'm on my way to the airport now."

 

"And this concerns me, how?"

 

"I'm letting you know that I'm leaving you to Dr. Park's care until I'm gone. I already spoke with her and she will report directly to me, so I suggest you don't do reckless things-..."

 

"What?! Are you kidding me-... "

 

"I said what I said, and that's final. Get better, Jennie."

 

I looked at my phone in disbelief as the other line went dead. What's with people today?! Can't they just leave me the alone?! 

 

I grunted and threw my phone on the couch. I stomp my way towards my room and decided to take a shower. 

 

I took long and calm breaths as the warm water runs through my body. I remembered how Chaeyoung taught me to breathe calmly when I feel agitated or stressed. It was just after the operation and she was the first person I saw when I opened my eyes. She was smiling sweetly at me, like she was the happiest when I woke up. I thought back then, I've never seen such beautiful smile and I also thought that I want to wake up everyday just for that. 

 

It's so stupid. 

 

Jennie, you're so stupid. 

 

Just back then you wanted nothing but to just die and forget, and just because of this... Just because of that stupid, stupid smile, you decided you wanted to live? 

 

Pabo... 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

I was drying my hair when I heard the door opened. I heard a luggage being dragged, like maybe two of those, and with how I heard the door locked, I knew it was her. Because she was always like that, "safety first".

​​

​​Before in the hospital, she would always check everything that's connected to me before she leaves for the day; she'll check the IV drip, the machines, the room temperature, and even how dimmed the lights were just how I liked it.

 

No matter how busy she was for the day, she makes sure to check on me on her breaks and even before she goes home. I figured those with how she smells like fresh from the cafeteria, or when she have a bread tucked under her gown, or when she still have crumbs on the side of her lips, or when she always have her hand bag with her and dressed to go out. She was always like that even when I knew Jisoo left her in-charge in the ER. 

 

I looked at myself in the mirror, with those thoughts clouding my being, my senses, my reasoning. I closed my eyes and feel my breathing once more.

 

Breathe in, breathe out... 

 

Once I was composed, I realized reality again. I always say that she's the Roseanne who's so easy to fool but... I am the biggest fool here.

 

I've been fooled by her actions that she would've done for any patient, that she would've done even more of those for Jisoo. 

 

In the end, I'm just as pathetic as before. 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

"Ms. Kim?"

 

Chaeyoung called for me after a few soft knocks. I took my time to answer, thinking about how or why I should. I was about to reply when she tried to open the door but it was locked. 

 

"J-Jennie?" She called a little louder. 

 

I sensed some nervousness in her tone so I stood up and opened the door for her. She looked a bit surprised and I can see she was finding the right key for the room. 

 

"Dr. Park, what's the use of having the full set of keys when you don't even know which is which?"

 

"I... Uh.. I knew. You just happened to open the door first." She reasoned. 

 

"Oh yeah?" I chuckled and walked past by her. 

 

"Do you want to eat dinner? I could prepare some." 

 

"Prepare what exactly? I only have water in my fridge." I said as I was examining her luggages. She brought two huge luggages but neithee of those were really heavy. I also saw bags of groceries and I figured what was she talking about.

 

I sighed and faced her this time. 

 

"Dr. Park, are you playing house with me right now?" I bluntly asked. 

 

"W-What? I was just-..."

 

"Are you going to stay here for months with me?"

 

"Yes."

 

"You were forced to this, right?"

 

"No. It's part of work."

 

"Really? Do you tell that to yourself?"

 

"Look, Jennie... I know you don't want this but you don't have much choice. And if you should know, I am more than willing take care of you because I am your doctor and you are my patient."

 

I raised a brow, showing my disagreement as I stare at her. 

 

"Really? Until when? When I don't have teeth anymore and my hair grew white? Or are you just waiting for me to die young?"

 

"What are you even talking about? I'm here because-..."

 

"Stop." I cut her off along with a hand gesture. 

 

"Whatever, I don't really want to hear it. Just make something to eat already." I said as I make my way towards the couch and the television. 

 

I hear her rummage through the bags and maybe organized it in the fridge. Then she started working in the kitchen; opening the empty cupboards, finding some useful utensils, and finally hearing someone cooking in this apartment for the first time.

 

Somehow it made me feel... Calm. 

 

The thought and feeling of having Roseanne Park here is as sweet as candy, but I know for sure will leave a bitter taste in the end. 

 

This is something I never want to get used to. It'll kill me. 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

"Hmm... This is... Acceptable."

 

Chaeyoung widen her eyes in disbelief. We were sitting on the carpet floor and eating dinner at the center table with the television still on. 

 

"What do mean acceptable?! This is my winning dish!" She protested. 

 

"A fish and some greens is your winning dish?" I chuckled. 

 

"It's salmon! And that's delicalety cooked and simmered in butter with proper-..."

 

"Okay, okay! What a nerd."  I said the last part with almost a whisper. 

 

"What did you say?" She asked innocently. 

 

"Nothing." I smiled at her and left a sarcastic remark. "This is so good!" I teased as I took another taste. 

 

I laughed how she looked displeased and a little offe ded at the same time. 

 

"Just give it to me if you don't want-..." She was taking my plate and of course I have to protect what's mine. 

 

"No! How dare you steal my ​​food?!" I swatted her hand and pulled my plate. 

 

She scoffed, amused. "Your food?"

 

"Yes! Mine! So don't touch it!" I said and rolled my eyes. I get my plate then rested my back on the couch so I would face the television. I placed my plate on my lap and started eating while watching. I heard a faint laugh from her but I didn't mind.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

I put my plate aside to the table once I was done and started looking for other channels or shows. 

 

"So this is the 'acceptable' huh?" Chaeyoung teasingly asked as she gets my plate to clean the table. 

 

"What is it now?" I said, still focused on changing the television channels and doing my best to sound uninterested. 

 

"It's spanking clean, Jennie."

 

"So what? I'm hungry."

 

I just heard her scoffed and she went to the kitchen to wash dishes. Even though I tried hard not to, a smile was still etched in my face. 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"Jennie, I will have to check your vitals."

 

"As long as it doesn't disturb me watching my show."

 

"Alright." I heard her faint giggles as she gets her kits. 

 

 

"I need your arm."

 

I subconsciously held out my arm as I continue watching. This feels like something I'm used to. Maybe because I was in the hospital for too long. But then again, I never had any doctors aside from her. 

 

"You're stable."

 

"Sure am."

 

She chuckled at my remark and settled her equipments in the suitcase she first brought in here. 

 

"Just one more thing." 

 

I looked at her with curiousty, finally paying attention aside from the cartoon. I saw her wear the stethoscope, tapped to check if it was on and working, then she looked at me for approval. 

 

I looked down at my shirt, I figured it was a polo and I needed to a few. I didn't mind so I obliged, but this girl... It amuses me how shy she gets and looked away, like she wasn't the one who ed me with our first. 

 

"Do you get this anxious when patients their shirts for you? It's some you have there, Dr. Park."

 

"W-What? I don't!"

 

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Put it in now."

 

Her eyes widen at my intent of teasing, but my expression remained innocent. 

 

"Are you just gonna stare or what?" I said, sporting a smirk. 

 

"Y-Yes, of course."

 

She slid the cold diaphragm of the stethoscope under the ed part of my shirt and I was startled with the sudden coldness. 

 

"Ah! Just...be gentle."

 

I swear I didn't mean it, but it sounded so . I looked at to see Chaeyoung's face and she was burning red. She then tried to steal a glance of me but caught red-handed. 

 

I can see clearly that she was trying very hard to hold her laughter, and realized so did I. Suddenly, we just broke into fits of laughters and giggles, trying to catch our breaths. 

 

"Aish jinjja! What the hell was that?!"

 

"I-I don't know! Don't you need to make it warm before putting it in?!"

 

"What's with you and putting 'what' in?! It's not even 'putting in'!"

 

"Well, don't you need to rub something with it like a gel or something?"

 

At this point, we were losing it. We laughed with almost no sound and getting teary-eyed from so much laughter. 

 

"Yah! What is this, a ing ultrasound?! Shut up already, you're a doctor too!"

 

"Whatever, Park Chaeyoung!"

 

Just when our laughter died down, we both shot a look to the television when a certain name was mentioned. 

 

We both had gone quiet while we watch the short preview of a music video, until Chaeyoung spoke up. 

 

"She's Jisoo's patient."

 

I was surprised at first but realizing how things connected, like seeing her in the hospital, it made sense. 

 

"Really? Should you be disclosing that kind of information to me?" I said calmly, like it doesn't matter one bit to me. But in all honesty, I wanted to ask why, when and how. 

 

"It wouldn't interest you anyway."

 

"What if it would?"

 

"What do you mean? Do you know her?"

 

With the question, I gave a tight smile before answering. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"She's my sister."

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------

 

Hi! This is a bit embarrassing but I'm really sorry for leaving this story behind for a long time now. I haven't got much time but I'm well and able, just having a hard time coping with all the work ehe. 
 
I hope you guys liked this one though :) 
 
Oh! I have to make a clarification in this story;
 
Jennie said, if you guys remembered from chapter 3, she first saw Chaeyoung walked inside her hospital room but that's really not the first time, it's just many of the times that she was in awe with her smile :) BUT that was also the time she realized that Chaeyoung had something going on for Jisoo, so that's when she started to act like she hates her, and acts all childish and such. 
 
As cliché as it may sound, Jennie doesn't know what love is. No matter what emotion she's feeling, for her those are just "feelings" that will eventually go away when she try hard enough. 
 
It's weird to be explaining like this but, I think I need to haha! Sometimes I just forget to translate what's in my mind for the story, and fail to relay it well. 
 
Thank you so much for commenting, and asking for updates. It really motivates me (and kinda making me feel guilty). 
 
 
Share me your thoughts. :) Let me know if you want some explaining for other characters as well, or other stuff. 
 
 
 
~