Kim Jisoo | Hope

Truth Be Told

 

I woke up to a comfortable silence and a familiar scent lingering on the sheets but Lisa is not beside me anymore.

 

I sat up slowly and searched for my phone to which I'm having trouble to find. 

 

"Where the hell is it?" I muttered under my breath while searching under the pillows.

 

"Um.. Hey. If it's your phone, I charged it. Just there on my side table." Lisa said as she points the location. I presume she just went out from the walk-in closet, all dressed up casually.

 

She might have noticed my confusion so she explained;

 

"I heard calls, like about four times but you're not even moving one bit until your phone died. I didn't want to wake you. Who knows what will I wake up out of you." She ended it with a sweet giggle.

 

I just smiled it away like a lovestruck teenager. What the hell is wrong with you, Kim Jisoo? ​​​​​​

 

"I... Uh.. Thanks." I smiled again, trying to hide the embarrassing stuttering state. "You going somewhere?" I asked.

 

"Actually, it's still my day off but it's my thing to just.. Be prepared to go out even if I'm not..really..going out?" She answered shyly.

 

I laughed, partly because that's really weird and another part is because I find it adorable.

 

"Well.. Let's not waste your efforts here. Wanna go somewhere fun?" I suggested and she grinned with the idea.

 

"Sure! Um.. Do you mind if I'm the one who's taking you this time?"

 

"Not at all. I'll just.. Uh.. Meet you in two hours? I'll just have a quick go at home and.." I can't seem to fix my stuttering mouth and she noticed so she cut me off.

 

"Yeah, totally. I'll.. I'm.." She says, as she was a stuttering mess as I was. Seriously, what's wrong with us? Last night we were bantering, loudly I might add and there were no gaps of silence even for a second. The thought made my smile stay as it is. 

 

"Okay, okay." She finally settles herself. "Since you don't have your car, I'll drive you to your home and maybe just wait for you? You know.. If you don't mi-.."

 

"N-No.. That's sounds really good." I said as I face palmed myself internally. Do I have to say "really good"? Ugh, that's so lame.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

As Lisa drove, I heard my phone ring and suddenly remembered that I haven't checked those calls yet. 

 

Chaeyoung. , I totally forgot to tell my little sleep over. She might have been worried.

 

"Chaeng! Hey-.." 

 

"Yah! Why aren't you answering my calls? You got me so worried I-.." 

 

"Hey hey, calm down already." I chuckled. "I'm fine, Chaeng. I just woke up late." 

 

"Why?" 

 

"You know how I get over excited when it's my off the next day and go around anywhere and sleep late." I said, half truth and half not-really-telling-the-whole-story. 

 

"Oh. Then prep up, I'm on my way for breakfast." 

 

"W-wait. Where exactly are you?" 

 

"I'm here at G's, lining up to order. Should I get you the usual?" 

 

"Uh.. Yea, about today.. Chae-.."

 

"What? You okay?" 

 

"Yeah I am. It's just that.. I.. I have company." I gave Lisa a look, asking if it was fine to tell and she nodded with a little smile of assurance. 

 

"Oh.. I thought you just woke up? W-wait Jis, don't tell me you-.." 

 

"Oh my god, Chaeng. No! I hang out with a friend, then it got a little late and I didn't bring my car so I had a sleep over at her's. We're on our way to my house now." I said, faster than normal. 

 

"Oh." She laughs. "Then I should get an extra order. Same as yours?" 

 

"W-wait.. I'll ask her." 

 

"Better make that fast. I'm next." 

 

I pressed mute for a while and asked Lisa. "Hey, is it okay if we have breakfast with my best friend? I mean, it's..kinda our thing in mornings and I forgot to tell her about what happened. If..you d-don't want to-.." 

 

"Hey, it's okay." She laughs, assuringly.

 

"So is it fine if I'll get you-.." 

 

"Same as yours.. As long as it doesn't have peanuts." 

 

"Right." I nodded and told Chaeyoung quickly. 

 

"Got it. See you in a bit." 

 

"Thanks, Chaeng!" 

 

"Um.. Hey, we're at yout block. I don't-.." 

 

"Oh, yeah sorry. That house with a bushy front. Just pull over at the back. Yup, you got it." I said as we arrive. 

 

"It is bushy. Too lazy to clean, I suppose?" Lisa said with a laugh. 

 

"Heh- I like it that way."

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

"So.. You're telling me Jisoo, that your friend here is the Lalisa Manoban?" Chaeyoung said in utter shock as we laid out our food on the table. Lisa just smiled shyly.

 

"Uh.. Yes..?" I answered.

 

"Cool! I'm Park Chaeyoung." She reached for a handshake and Lisa took it heartily. I noticed her at ease when Chaeyoung didn't make a big deal out of it. I know she wouldn't.

 

"So how did you two met? If you don't mind me asking." She was asking Lisa but I felt obliged to answer.

 

"She.. is actually my patient. Yeah, long story short, that time we ran out of doctors in duty for check-ups so.. She winded up in the pedia's."

 

"Oh.. That's unlikely." 

 

"I know, right? Oh.. Lisa, I forgot to introduce to you, this person right here is the best surgeon here in Korea."

 

"Woah.. I'm glad I'm meeting such a person!" Lisa's innocence came through and both Chaeyoung and I chuckled.

 

"Hey, don't be amazed. You're the celebrity here!" Chaeyoung said as we all laughed.

 

"Do you know though, Jisoo's a world-renowned surgeon before she became a pediatrician?"

 

"What? I didn't know! Seriously?!"

 

"Yeah! New York Times and all."

 

"Oh , sorry for calling you a midget." Lisa teases and I gave her a knowing look. 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

By this time, I can't believe these two giants are still on it with the teasing. How could they team up against the poor me?!

 

"-and then, Jisoo was wearing my pajamas! I'm telling you, it was such a-.." 

 

"Alright, alright!" I cut them off. "I'm gonna take a bath and please, don't talk about me behind my back!"

 

"Sure, Jis." Chaeyoung said with that smile that I-know-so-well smile with a hint of mischief. When I turn to Lisa, she was smiling exactly the same. Aish, these blondes.. Are they lost twins, or what?!

 

"Ugh!" I rolled my eyes and stomped off to my room. I can still hear faint stories and hearing my name from them. 

 

"Yah! I can still hear you guys, you know!"

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

"You two going somewhere?"

 

"Yeah, do you.. Wanna come?" Lisa offered.

 

"Yeah, Chaeng. You should, oh you know.. Gang up on me again and-" Chaeyoung and Lisa cut me of with fits of laughter.

 

"Now that's fun. Sure! But just for a while, I guess."

 

"Why?" I asked.

 

"Oh, now you're asking, huh?" Chaeyoung gave a chuckle before continuing. "You know, duties."

 

"On your day off?"

 

"Special duties, more like a freakin' body guard."

 

"Oh, you mean for your agasshi​​​​​​?" I teased.

 

"Ugh. Don't even start, Kim Jisoo! Now c'mon, let's go!"

 

"C'mon Chaeng, fill us in!" I teased more as we walk out of the house to Lisa's car. Since Chaeyoung brought hers, she'll be tailgaiting to wherever Lisa takes us. 

 

"What's that about?" Lisa asked.

 

"Oh, you know.. Chaeng here has a-.." 

 

"Shut up!"

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

We arrived at a studio. Not surprisingly enough, I might say.. Because this is where my little brother, Doyoung was having his piano lesson before. This is where I pick him up every evening and have dinner at our folks' or treat him out. This was his favorite place.. And just outside of this building, that wide pedestrian crossing, is where he had that accident.

 

Chaeyoung looked at me with worried eyes but I offered a tight smile to let her know I'm fine. I didn't want to be rude towards Lisa's kind gesture.

 

"So.. This is it. Since Jisoo showed me a place I never thought I've ever seen or experienced, I want you guys to.. experiece my second home." Lisa said.

 

"I never thought this place has a large cafeteria. This is like.. An aiport's" I said. I just went inside once to talk with Doyoung's teacher. I never really got to have a look. 

 

Doyoung said this place was like fancy land or something, and the cafeteria was his favorite. It put a sad smile on my face. I was relieved that he got to enjoy these things. 

 

"This. Is. Awesome!" Chaeyoung spurted. I laughed imagining those two getting excited on little things like before.

 

"Um.. Hey, can you show us those studios with a piano?" I asked in sudden repulse. Chaeyoung gave me a look, then nodded when she saw me smiling with plead.

 

"Sure! You play?" Lisa asked.

 

"Yeah, a little.. but it was my little brother who's really fond of playing."

 

I saw Lisa, a bit surprised with the mention of Doyoung but she just gave a smile, understanding my request. 

 

After the elevator ride, we walked past a few studios, and finally, the one with the piano. 

 

I didn't want to be emotional, so I forced a calm composure even though it's breaking me, imagining how happy Doyoung while doing his favorite thing in the world. 

 

"So.. Here it is, wide and a solo piano." Lisa laughed weakly. "Do you.. Wanna play?" She asked with uncertainty.

 

"Uh.. How about you.. Play a little? For us?" I requested. I'm worried that hearing a few notes might break my composure but I didn't care much. This is how I long for my baby brother.

 

"Yeah, sure." Lisa carefully sat and opened the piano. She touched the keys like they were the most delicate pieces in the world. Then, she started playing.

 

In about the third line of notes, a tear escaped from my eye and I quickly wiped it off. It was because Lisa was playing my favorite piano piece that I always request to Doyoung when we were at home.

 

It was titled Kiss The Rain by Yurima. It was a sad piece, for me at least.. But it was calm. It was like the feeling in finding calm beneath the sadness. This piece was the last thing I want to hear, but Lisa was like saying "you needed this, this is what you need the most." 

 

I closed my eyes, like I used to when he plays it. It was pure nostalgia. I feel like I'm in our living room, and Doyoung was just a few feet away.. But when I opened my eyes, it was a new sight. It wasn't the slightest bit of disappointment, not at all.. It was.. Acceptance and hope.

 

In the moment, Chaeyoung's phone rang and echoed same as the sound of the instrument which made Lisa stop. 

 

"Oh shoot, I'm sorry. Please go on." Chaeyoung excused herself briefly and honestly, I don't know what to say to Lisa at this point. 

 

"Um.. Wanna sit and try?" Lisa asked, finally breaking the silence.

 

My mind went blank and just followed her. When I sat down beside her, I didn't know what to do so I just stared at the keys more blankly than I ever was.

 

"How about.. Um.. You play and sing for me?" The request was unlike me at all. I don't even know if I wanted it. It was purely out of the blue.

 

"Okay." Lisa just said softly with the sweetest smile I've seen of her. Then she started playing the notes..

 

 

 

There's a song that's inside of my soul

 

It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again

 

I'm awake in the infinite cold

 

But you sing to me over and over and over again.. 

 

 

 

Did I say I didn't know if I wanted it? No, I needed it.. Because when she started singing, my world stopped. Don't get me wrong, I never wanted to be poetic nor cliché, but the hell with it.

 

Minutes ago, she took me back to somewhere painful in my life and now, it feels like she's rescuing me from it. ​​Just.. Why do I feel safe when I'm with you? For the first time, there was nothing over or beneath any emotions. It was just pure calmness, like I'm in the safest place. 

 

 

 

​​​​​​...and I lift my hands and pray

 

To be only yours I pray

 

To be only yours, I know now you're my only hope.. 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------

 

Hey! A bit late on an update but it's my thanks to those who reached out a hand to my self-sabotaging state (heh)
And I have to say, forgive me if I've been a little cliché on this chapter but it's my dream that Lisa would sing Only Hope.. So congratulate me when she does haha :))

 

Thank you again for keeping interest. Have a nice day!