Jennie Kim | Meet Again

Truth Be Told

 

 

"Dr. Park, I believe matters like that are none of you concern." I said, with a little bit of patience left in me.

 

 

"R-Right... I'm sorry."

 

 

Are you really? Or you were so relieved with my answer?

 

 

"You may excuse yourself. I'm planning to stay for a little while." I said. Looking at you makes me want to burn this restaurant along with me.

 

 

"I... I understand. Please take care."

 

 

Take care? Take care my .

 

 

What are you still looking at? What do you still want from me? Affirmation?

 

 

Just go.

 

 

And you did... just like that. No... you don't understand a thing, Roseanne... but how could you? I, myself don't even understand what I'm feeling right now. I didn't know why I expected something more even though I was certain that it would end up like this.

 

 

You're always so easy to read. How could you not do the same for me? How could you not see the pain through my eyes?

 

 

Since that night, I never stopped thinking about it, about you...that I dreamt of you every night and how I feel troubled every time I wake up but realizing later that a smile keeps etching on my face. But now? I think only nightmares will visit me in my slumber.

 

 

I heaved my heaviest sigh but it didn't even release half an ounce the agony I was feeling. I'm a very, very rational person, and the fact that I'm hurting right now, only meant one thing; I already fell for you, Roseanne... and the only one to blame was no one but me.

 

 

I realized this haunting, regrettable fact for a mere five minutes... and I wished the pain lasts the same amount. But of course, it didn't, and it won't.

 

 

I decided to take lumps of water before I call Chahee-onni.

 

 

"Jen? What's up"

 

 

"How are the papers going? How soon can I go?"

 

 

"Jen, I told you it would be hard. As far as I can see it, it will be a couple of months more."

 

 

"Just... do whatever you can to make it sooner. Please, onni?"

 

 

I heard her sigh before answering me. "I can't promise you but I'll do what I can."

 

 

"Thank you... Yeah, see you."

 

 

After the call, knowing I'm stuck here for that long, I heaved another lungful sigh. But... this time it was different. I feel that I needed more than I thought because my hands were already trembling. In the slightest second, I feel them numb and found myself breathing heavily, more like grasping for air.

 

 

I slowly stood up and supported my weight as I grip the edge of the table. I know this feeling so well, and I panic more as I remembered the traumatic details of what it feels like when you die.

 

 

"M-Ma'am! Are you-... Kyle! Call for an emergency!" 

 

 

That was the last thing I heard faintly as I tried to open my eyes still... but I lost.

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

Quiet...but beeping sounds everywhere, the smell of antiseptics, the chill that keeps going through this thin clothing. Without opening my eyes, I clearly know where I am. To be honest, a side thought of mine thinks this is exactly what hell feels like and I don't ever need to open my eyes to some twisted reality.

 

 

But I did open them. I weakly blinked twice because I thought I'm in some dream or nightmare to be more exact. Park Chaeyoung has this quizzical look on her face while looking at my record. I bet she's figuring out the possibilities of why I'm here lying on the hospital bed, when in fact I should be roaming around outside freely.

 

 

I hate to break it to you, Roseanne but you'll never figure it out. Because in this case, you're a pure .

 

 

"Ms. Kim, how are you feeling?" She said upon noticing my awoken state.

 

 

"What does my vitals say?" I ignored her stupid question.

 

 

"It's stable for now, Ms. Kim. May... I know what exactly happened before you fainted?"

 

 

"I don't know either. Can I go home now?"

 

 

"You can't. You need to be observed and-..." 

 

 

"I don't need to. I can handle myself." 

 

 

"That wasn't the case earlier, Ms. Kim." 

 

 

"Why do you even bother?"

 

 

"Because I'm your doctor. It's my duty."

 

 

Really, now huh? I hate you so much, Park Chaeyoung. My anger can't seem to hold it any longer but suddenly, the door opened and revealed the person I hated the most.

 

 

"Dr. Park, how is she?"

 

 

"All vitals are back to normal but I'd suggest we let her rest here for a week to observe. What happened was unusual for her current state, Mr. Kim."

 

 

"Won't she be able to attend the conference tomorrow?"

 

 

Well of course, he cared about the conference. Same old man. 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kim. It's too risky."

 

 

My "Dad" sighed whilst massaging his temples in disappointment. He turned to face me with the same look he always gave. 

 

 

"Did you do this on purpose? You know how your presence is important in that meeting!"

 

 

"You mean I purposely tried to kill myself to avoid facing old, rich, greedy people like you? Wow, thanks Dad, I should really try that some time."

 

 

He was speechless, realizing how dumb his accusations were just because of his temper. 

 

 

"And could you change my doctor? I'm uncomfortable with her." I saw a glimpse of Chaeyoung shotting me a look.

 

 

"Why? She knows your condition best. She's the one who saved your life!"

 

 

"I don't care! I don't want her!"

 

 

"Enough! I don't have time for your childish acts, Jennie! From now on, Dr. Park will be with you whether you're here, at your house, or outside. Everywhere. Do you understand?"

 

 

"What?!" Chaeyoung and I said in unison.

 

 

"Dr. Park, you are relieved from ER duties. I want you to focus on my daughter alone and I want you to make sure that these 'unusual' things to never happen again. Are we clear?"

 

 

"Y-Yes, Mr. Kim" Chaeyoung answered with a bow as my father started walking out of the room.

 

 

"Y-Yah! Father!" I tried to call out to him but of course, I got my stubbornness from that old man. 

 

 

"ing great." I murmured before turning to Chaeyoung. "You don't have to do that. I'll be careful from now on." I assured her.

 

 

"No. I can't do that." 

 

 

"W-What?" I questioned annoyingly. Why do people choose to have me around even though they'll just end up hurting me?

 

 

"You're my responsibility, Ms. Kim... and it was my fault for leaving you." 

 

 

You're really something else, Roseanne. 

 

 

"You're not my bodyguard." 

 

 

"I think that it is just what Mr. Kim ju said."

 

 

"Whatever. Just leave."

 

 

"I'll be back, Ms. Kim." She said with a bow and left. 

 

 

Great. Can this day get any worse?

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

I woke up and checked the time. I only slept for an hour and I think it'll be the same sleep pattern I'll have in the following days.

 

 

I grunted as I find it hard to sit on the bed even with the help of the automated lift. I reached for my phone and bag, closed my eyes and sighed before deciding to escape.

 

 

Good thing I always have spare clothing in this room, so hastily and carefully, I changed and prepared myself to go out. 

 

 

I know for sure that maybe some nurses or doctors will be walking along the aisles but I got that covered with lies. I just needed to avoid Park Chaeyoung herself. 

 

 

Although I got my alibi ready, my escape went smoothly and I was able to get through. I can view the outside already and the only thing to do was to exit the hospital and get a cab. 

 

 

I took few slow steps and when I was about to increase my pace, an odd person walk past me. She wears an overly-sized blueish black hoodie and was covered with a face mask.

 

 

I find her odd, really weird but when our eyes met, I know... I just know at that second that it was her. 

 

 

She kept walking as I was frozen in my spot... But I can't just let this go. I quickly went after her and stopped her, pulling her arm. 

 

 

"Li... Lili“ I didn't know how to address her at first but I called her with utmost confidence that I'm certain it's her. I could never be wrong about those eyes.

 

 

She just looked at me with wide eyes but quickly shifted her head down.

 

 

"Y-You got the wrong person. I-I'm sorry."

 

 

She was trying to pull away from my grip but I didn't allow her. I pull her closer and slowly lifted her face with my other hand. Although she kept resisting, I managed to take off her mask. 

 

 

"Lili." I said again but she kept looking away. 

 

 

"Look at me, please." 

 

 

"J-Jennie onni." She finally stared back at me and spoke but quickly wore her mask back. 

 

 

"S-Sorry I have an appointment." She continued on her tracks, realizing I released her from my grip. 

 

 

"Wait! With who? Why? Are you sick?"

 

 

"I... Onni, p-please just-..." 

 

 

"Ms. Jennie Kim!"

 

 

Both of us shot our heads towards that person screaming my name.

 

 

"Aish... Jinjja!" I wanted to curse at her for being on time, too much for my liking.

 

 

"Yah! Who told you to just roam around-... Wait, are you trying to escape?"

 

 

"Yah! I can do whatever I want and who are you to shout at me, Park Chaeyoung?!"

 

 

"I am your doctor and you are my responsibility! Aish! You're so annoying-..."

 

 

"Yah! What did you just say?! I am annoying?!"

 

 

"Yes I did! So go back to your room, right now or I'll carry you up there!" 

 

 

"What?!"

 

 

This was beyond unbelievable. Is she possessed? No one, and I mean no ing one orders me around!

 

 

"You! You better cut the crap or-... Y-Yah! You put me down! Yah!"

 

 

Seriously! How can she carry like I'm just a sack of rice?! I, Jennie Kim, out of all people?! 

 

 

“Yah! Put me down! Right now!" I complained again, looking stupid...and this girl...this girl just kept her straight face, not bothered by the looks people were giving us. 

 

 

I tried my best to break free from her but she's too strong and tall.

 

 

"Yah! Are you deaf? I said put me down!" 

 

 

 

 

 

"NO." 

 

 

 

 

 

"YAH! PARK CHAEYOUNG, YOU PABO!"