Lisa Manoban | Doubting the Comfort

Truth Be Told

I never thought Jennie onni still have body guards...and she's a doctor too. I know somehow I'll bump into her like that. This is their hospital anyway. This was why I was so against going here, I don't know why Manager Onni still chose this when she knows everything. 

 

Still...no matter how many times I imagine meeting her again, I knew I would still be in awe.

 

"I really like Lisa, Mom! I wanna see her and I-..." I heard a kid nagging her mom about seeing...well, me. I didn't hear much of it as we were in separating ways. They just went out from Jisoo's clinic.

 

Finally, after all the commotion, I opened the door only to find Jisoo standing while watching something on the television in her office lobby. I can't picture her facial expression. What in the world is she watching?

 

To my surprise, the full time nerd was watching...well, me.

 

When she noticed that I was about to enter, her eyes widen even more and she shifted her look on me, then on the screen, then me, and so on until she broke her own confusion. 

 

"Y-You..."

 

"Me?"

 

"Y-You...what the hell are you doing in my TV?"

 

I snorted, went inside, and closed the door.

 

"It's magic!" I said. She just rolled her eyes and gave me a serious look.

 

"A kid was even dancing to your song!" she motioned her hands as if the kid was still there. 

 

"Oh...like this?" I danced to my own song, and I can't help but laugh at her surprised face. I don't know if she's amazed or terrified, or both. Either way, it was hilarious. 

 

"Y-Yah! Why didn't you tell me?!"

 

"What? I did say I work for an entertainment industry."

 

"Oh..." her face turned serious again. She was just looking at me for too long, like she was questioning my whole existence.

 

Will..everything change?

 

She took a step closer, with the same look on her face. Like a prey, I cautiously took a step back. 

 

"So.. Let me ask you a question, Lisa." she said my name sternly. I thought she's a fluff ball? Why is she being scary?

 

"I-uh... What is it?" I stuttered.

 

"Let me guess..."

 

"W-What?"

 

"... you haven't experienced any street food, haven't you?"

 

What? What kind of question is that? But whatever, I'll just answer. 

 

"Uh.. No?"

 

With that answer, her face beamed which I don't have the slightest clue what about.

 

"We are going somewhere! Wait, I'll go change!"

 

Huh?

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"Yah! Paboya! What are those legs for? Walk faster!"

 

Jisoo was literally dragging me through stalls and people like a mom who drags their kid to a grocery shop. 

 

"Wait! And can you stop calling me that? I have a name!"

 

"A famous name!" Jisoo whispered annoyingly to which I just rolled my eyes, but with a smile never ceasing to exist.

 

Well... With my built and thoroughly covered face, a cap, glasses, and mask on, her screaming my name would be awfully disastrous. 

 

"Here... Try this!"

 

She handed me an odd looking thing in a stick. It looks like a thin sponge that was cooked in soup. Is this even edible? I was looking at it with full curiosity and with a little disgust, until Jisoo got impatient and scolded me again. 

 

"Yah... That's for eating, and it actually goes through your mouth." She gave me a sly remark with a hint of excitement in her eyes. How can I say no?

 

With all doubts, I slid down my mask under my chin and ate the street food she gave. 

 

With a taste, my eyes widen and looked at Jisoo like she's some heaven-sent food goddess. 

 

"J-Jisoo-ya..."

 

She just stared at me, wearing a smirk on those lips. 

 

"Give me five more!" I asked Jisoo but I took from the cart myself. How can I ever miss this? How?!

 

"Yah! Stop that! There's more to try!" She said after she paid for the food and dragged me again to a different stall.

 

"What is this called?" I asked while I'm still munching some while we walked.

 

"That... Paboya, is called fish sticks." 

 

"Oh... It's my new favorite food!" She laughed at my remark like it was the most hilarious thing she have heard. 

 

We continued to walk but instead of dragging me by the wrist like earlier, she suddenly but gently slid her hand down to grab mine and it felt like it's the only hand that will fit perfectly. 

 

I looked at our hands for a while, and I thought that maybe intertwining them would be better... 

 

And so I did. I slowly loosen the grip and locked my fingers with hers. She looked back and stared at it. At first she looked curious...or maybe a little afraid that I wanted to let go for a second but I saw her face at eased when she realized what I intended to do. 

 

She then looked at me with a very comforting and warm smile. Comfort. That's all there was... No more doubts. 

 

And I was wrong though. It wasn't better... 

 

It was more than perfect. 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

After an hour and a half, it were all pretty much the same scenario; Jisoo taking me to a different food stall, eyes widening with every first bite, and saying it's my favorite thing in the whole world.

 

With this day alone, it felt like I filled half of my lifetime already. Never in my life that I imagined having hundreds of favorites in a day.

 

"Aish jinjja... Who would've thought you would eat too much!" Jisoo said. We are now settled in my car after hitting our last stop with some soju. 

 

"Me? Just how may chicken skewers did you eat?!"

 

"Yah! That's an exception."

 

I laughed. It's cute how she can be that childish. 

 

"Did you just say I'm cute?"

 

"W-What?" She can read minds now?

 

"Yah... You just said 'kiyowo' like how you would say it to a new born baby."

 

I just stared at her in awe, mouthing excuses that were never spoken. Jisoo chuckled at my state. A very sweet one, I might add.

 

"Paboya, it's okay. I get that a lot. Let's just go." She ended her statement with a chuckle.

 

"Aish, what a flirt..." I whispered as I maneuvered through the parking space. 

 

"What did you just say?"

 

"Nothing!" I said, and laughed to my heart's content.

 

"Yah! Paboya!" She retorted and playfully hit my shoulder.

 

"Yah! We're alone now. Why don't you call me by my name?!"

 

"Lisa Paboya!"

 

"Aish... Jinjja!"

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"Yah... Where are you taking me?" Twenty minutes passed by easily with our banters and Jisoo just asked me that question that made me dumbfounded. Why the am I going home?! 

 

"Oh, shoot! I'm sorry, I'm going home out of habit! "

 

"What?" Jisoo said in disbelief.

 

"I-I..." She cut me off with a laugh.

 

"Is this your way of bringing a girl home?"

 

"W-What?! A-Aniya..." I stopped in front of my garage. 

 

"So... Are you going to make me take the bus home?" 

 

Actually, I could easily make a u-turn and take her to her home but there's this strong feeling that I just don't want to end this day, atleast not yet. 

 

"Ani... Then, w-would you like to stay for the night? It's pretty late too and..." I paused. 

 

"And?" 

 

"There's a lot of dessert in my room?"

 

Jisoo's eyes widen and I just know she was going to have fits of laughter upon realizing what she was thinking. 

 

"N-No! It's not what I meant, really! I-" 

 

"Arasso! I get it, Paboya! Let's just go." She said, never stopping her annoyingly cute laugh. 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"You do have a lot of desserts."  Jisoo said, checking out my console of pure snacks and desserts.

 

"I do! I told you-..." I stopped when I looked at her in my pajamas.

 

"Y-You..." I can't even continue because of the sight.

 

"What?" She turned her whole body at me and I even laughed more and louder.

 

"Yah! Where are your hands and feet?!"

 

"Pabo! It's not my fault you're a ing giant!" She stomped her foot as she complained and I never seen any sight more adorable than that. Damn it, I just want to go get her and squish everything-... Wait. That doesn't sound right. 

 

I stopped laughing at the thought and felt my cheeks warm. Few seconds to my dumb state, I felt her beside me. Before I turn my face to look at her, she poked my cheek. 

 

"Amazing. I'm witnessing an idiot in deep thought." 

 

"Y-Yah!" I caught her hand to a pull and with that, she leaned a little closer. I saw her breath hitched with the dangerously close contact. 

 

I don't know why I'm looking at those perfect heart-shaped lips. 

 

What is this feeling? I'm holding her hand, looking at her intently as she does the same...like I want to do something more. I want to indulge at the feeling but it terrifies me. It terrifies me like my first stage, my first interview, or me ordering through the fast-food counter. I want it badly but doing so makes my heart move so erratically that I'm afraid it might combust. 

 

But why am I even being poetic right now? 

 

I need action!

 

"J-Jisoo-ya..." I whispered, making sure she feels the warmth of my breath. 

 

 

"Y-Yeah?"

 

 

"You... Your breath stinks."

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

My eyes opened abruptly like I just had a horrific nightmare. 

 

A dream in which a very cute midget turned into this cold, evil being that slapped the life out of me in one single blow. I touched my cheek and I could still feel the tragic end that of Lalisa Manoban.

 

I slowy turned to my back, very slowly while holding to my dear life. 

 

Then all worries turned back to the same comfort she always make me feel. I just don't understand how someone could be this beautiful. 

 

Jisoo was still sleeping soundly with her cheek rested on her hands. With just the right sunlight seeping through the curtains, I was fully mesmerized by this scene alone.

 

It was as if my hand was foolishly acting on its own, I fixed some hair that was gracefully falling, touching that perfect nose of hers. As I put it safely at the back of her ear, my thumb found its way to caress her cheek. Jisoo moved a little with the contact but my hand was glued as it was.

 

Surprisingly, instead of being a like last night, I moved closer and my lips found its way to her forehead. The kiss felt like I wanted to give my all to her, to this stranger that lured me into street food and chicken skewers.

 

But...nothing's ever that easy, never it was how I imagined things to be. 

 

I wish I could just feel the comfort, the warmth, this...happiness?

 

But what if I wanted more? Would it bring me more doubts than comfort?

 

I wish I could stay out of this.

 

But could I?

 

I... I'll never know unless I try, while I still think I can. If I go any further than this, I might keep wanting it...whatever you call this thing that you make me feel, Jisoo-ya.

 

I always go for something I want, but it never involves people.. and I'm afraid I might do something foolish regardless.

 

I moved away slowly, along with my wavering thoughts but suddenly, like she was reading my mind, she pulled herself to me and put her arm to my back, engulfing me to a half embrace as she rested her head on my shoulder.

 

I pulled her closer too and caressed her head. It was like familiarity, like we have been living under the same roof for years, like we were used to holding each other this way.

 

It was as if she was telling me not to let go.

 

 

But... Maybe I'm just romanticizing everything that's happening with her. It's just my creative imagination. This is not real. It couldn't be. 

 

 

"Because this is too good to be true, Jisoo-ya." I whispered under my breath, as I hold her gently... like it'll be the last.