For Real

Close
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene’ House

7a.m.

Irene received a bouquet of flowers early that morning. She wasn’t feeling too great that morning and she was quite surprised at the sight of the pink and yellow daisies flowers from a delivery boy when she opened her door. She immediately got hold of the bouquet and opened the card attached to it.

 

For my Irene.

 

The card didn’t say from whom it came from.

 

She was thinking it was from Seulgi but he was not the type to do those things.

Maybe Suho, she thought.

But he must be mad at her right now.

 

He had caught them for sure.

Irene knew he followed her and Seulgi to Hong Kong. She already confirmed with Sehun. But Suho never confronted her or anything. He’s acting as if nothing happened at all. He was pretty good at pretending nonchalant.

 

Irene was too nervous about everything. Now, she felt like she was being followed everywhere she goes. She told Seulgi that they should cool down for the time being and not see each other. Seulgi shrugged off the idea and told her that she was just being paranoid. He told her that if Suho was onto them, he would have done something the day they’ve come back from Hong Kong, but he didn’t do anything. But still, Irene wasn’t feeling at peace. Not at all.

 

Everyday, Irene would receive flowers. Different kind each day.

The next week, the flowers came with chocolates, and cute little teddy bears. The gifts bore same white card, with same note:

 

For my Irene.

 

Those gifts made Irene's days. It made her smile. A bit creepy at first but clearly those were from an admirer and not a stalker. Soon after, those gifts made her heart flutter and didn’t make Irene uneasy like it used to. Obviously, it wasn’t from Suho because when one time he was at her house, he looked flushed when he saw those flowers and chocolates.

 

He looked sad when he glanced at Irene hurriedly fixing her daily supply of bouquet and chocolates and cutesy stuff.

 

Irene had a feeling it was Seulgi sending these stuff to her. It’s got to be from him. Since their meetings weren’t as frequent as before, she had a feeling he was making up for it. Irene couldn’t just admit it, but it’s more of like she misses Seulgi more than ever now. She knows, despite being in the wrong, she is not feeling that guilty anymore.

 

They were having breakfast that one morning. Irene stood up to get another carton of milk from the fridge when she didn’t notice Suho got her phone. She returned to her seat afterwards.

 

“So, Oppa are you saying that Siwon really had a thing with Jennie back then?” Irene munched on her egg sandwich. “I knew it.”

 

Suho was busy reading something from the mobile phone. Her mobile phone.

 

“But come to think of it.” Irene continued, “He didn’t really pursue her, did he?”

 

Suho sullenly looked up to her, “Someone sent you a message.”


Bae Irene almost fell of her seat when she read Seulgi's message.

 

Didn’t I say I wanted to start for real? I wanted this affair to end, Hyunnie. Erase Seyeon-Unni from your contacts. Save my number as Seulgi. I will be Seulgi from now on. I love you.

 

Seulgi just said ‘I love you’.

 

Irene wanted to faint that very moment, because Suho read the message first before handing the phone to her.

 

“Seulgi.” Suho said, his eyes downcast. Irene could not read him. “Kang Seulgi.”

 

“Oppa.” Irene was catching her breath. Her heart’s beating really fast.

 

“Since when Irene?” He asked. Suho looked as if he’s going to eat her alive.

 

“Oppa…” Her voice almost begging.

 

“I asked you a question… when did it start? Answer me!” His voice has become scarier. He slammed the glass of orange juice that he’s holding. The glass shattered, cutting his hand. “When did start, Bae Irene?!?”

 

Suho was raging mad. He had become a raging mad monster.

 

“Long ago.” Irene began crying. “Even before we got together… Oppa, I’m sorry.”

 

“ it, Irene.” Suho cursed, “ you and Kang Seulgi!!! You liars! You cheaters! I knew it, I followed you in Hong Kong, I saw it with my two eyes, how you waited for him. How you guys embraced and kissed! How you smiled when you saw him.”

 

Irene could only cry while she listened to him talk. Suho was crying when he was shouting. His hand was bleeding too. Irene tried to touch him but he pushed her away.

 

“And there I was, looking like an absolute idiot witnessing the whole thing…” He continued painfully. “I have to beg for everything from you Irene. I felt like you were too far from me. I need to work hard for your feelings, for your attention, for your love. If you didn’t love me, if you didn’t care for me at all, you should’ve told me. You didn’t have to make a fool out of me.”

 

Suho was right.
If he didn’t have place in Irene's heart, she should’ve told him.
She cheated on him, used him and broke him.

 

“Is that too hard to do?” Suho wipe his tears, “Is saying, ‘Oppa, you , I don’t really like you, get out my sight, get out of my life’ too hard to do, Irene? What did I do to you for me to deserve all this? All I did was to love you. That’s all I did.”

 

“Oppa…” Irene is still crying. She couldn’t contest what he’s saying. He was right. “I’m sorry…”

 

“You’re sorry?” Suho laughed. “You’re sorry? Don’t make me laugh, Irene.”

 

“I am.” Irene couldn’t look at him.

 

“If you are, leave Kang Seulgi.” Suho stopped crying now. His face was stern. “Leave that son-of-a , good for nothing and be with me.”

 

Irene could not answer. Now she was in the crossroads.

 

“What? You couldn’t?” Suho shook his head. “Funny right? You don’t love your boyfriend but you’re in love with someone you have an affair with. it.”

 

“No.” Irene protested.

 

“Tell me, Irene.” Suho come up to Irene and held her chin. “Tell straight to my face you don’t love Seulgi. Tell me you don’t love Kang Seulgi. Tell me!!!”

 

His grip on her face became tighter. She closed her eyes, as she was hurt.

 

“I don’t.” Irene replied with her eyes closed. She was obviously lying when she answered.

 

She loves Seulgi.
Ever since.

 

Suho pulled her for a hug. “I am willing to forget everything Irene, everything. I will just ask one thing…”

 

“I’m sorry Oppa…” Irene cried in his arms, “I really am.”

 

“You don’t even have to apologize anymore.” Suho's voice turned soft, “Forget Seyeon-Unni ever existed. Forget Seulgi, Irene. And I’m willing to forget.”

 

Suho was a bit fast to decide. Because he came up with his decision a long time ago since he knew of their affair way back. It was Irene who needed to decide quickly.

 

Irene hugged him even tighter.

 

Can she forget Seulgi?

She cried even harder.

 

 

Seulgi started to worry. Irene was not picking up his calls. She didn’t respond to any of his messages too. He was about to go to her house when his phone rang. It was from an unregistered number but he answered it anyway.

 

It was Suho.

 

He wanted to meet.

 

 

JJ Money

Itaewon, Seoul

7 p.m.

 

They agreed to see each at JJ Mahoney’s at Itaewon next weekend. Seulgi sensed there was something wrong. He said there’s no use waiting, he told Suho they can meet now. The Suho leader realized that they should get over the issue with Irene the soonest too. The two guys were in a hurry facing each other. And when they did, they knew what they were up to.

 

 

JJ Mahoney is the most popular and most expensive hangout place in Itaewon. It’s housed in the Grand Hyatt hotel in the foot of Namsan and has a great view of the entire Itaewon and Han River.

 

The place is peaceful during the entire day but literally jam-packed the whole night. And since, the joint is extremely well known, the food and the drinks’ are pricey.

 

“You know why we’re here right?” Suho began.

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

“Irene is not coming back to you.” Suho informed him.

 

“You are not Irene for you to tell me.” Seulgi sarcastically reminded him.

 

“She is mine.” Suho retorted. “She’s my girlfriend.”

 

“She doesn’t love you.” Seulgi told him as if he knew it as a common knowledge, that Irene does not love Suho.

 

“But that doesn’t make her love you.” It was Suho's turn to be sarcastic.

 

“Then you should’ve asked her.” Smirked Seulgi.

 

“I did.” Suho smiled. “You probably created your answer in your crazy little mind that’s why you’re acting all mighty and arrogant.”

 

Seulgi stayed silent. Irene could’ve denied her feelings, most likely.

 

Suho took a sip of his drink, like a boss. “No matter what you do, or you attempt to do, I won’t give her up.”

 

“Neither would I.” Seulgi was firm.

 

“Kang Seulgi…” Suho said, “Look at you, no offense. You look like a piece of . I am always amazed why people consider that as fashion… I mean, what you’re wearing…you look like you just came out of trash and just got whatever you can from the pile. You change your hair colour, what? Every other day? Your piercings and tattoos? How many have you got? Two thousand? C’mon, man.”

 

Suho was obviously insulting Seulgi in the worst possible way there is. That was below the belt. Seulgi did always have a different taste in fashion, and he didn’t care whether people are going to like it or not. And it’s not everyday that it’s too much… but well, there are days…

 

Suho still went on and this time his insults are accompanied with sarcastic laughter.

 

“Imagine, if you and Irene did get married later on, what will your kids tell their friends? ‘Mommy is a beautiful famous singer… Daddy is a singer too who looks like trash…”

 

Seulgi felt enraged. He felt like punching Suho in the face but he kept his cool.

 

“Hyung.” Suho spoke after emptying his glass. “In this web of lies, allow me to speak truth if I may… There was me in Irene's life before you.”

 

Suho's eyes spoke anger, and Seulgi saw it.

 

Seulgi continued which Suho dreaded to hear. “I love her. And I won’t give her up.”

 

Suho placed down his glass, “Too bad for you Seulgi, she is mine.”

 

“Too bad for you, Hyung.” Seulgi flashed him a smile, “She loves me.”

 

Suho didn’t respond. He knew fighting that issue was a hopeless case. Seulgi knew Irene loves him. And he knew that Suho knows that as well. All that Suho can capitalize is, is how Seulgi looks disastrously dressed next to Irene (or even alone).

 

“I am a man Kang Seulgi. I honour my words and I accept defeat.” Suho extended his hand, “May the best man win.”

 

Seulgi shook his hand and beamed, “Or in this case, as you have put it, may the best trash win.”

 

The two left the bar with the same feelings: they were both unsure if they could win Bae Irene's heart.

 

Suho knows that Irene loves Seulgi but he was hanging on to that tiny hope that in situations like this, Irene will choose to become a good girl.

 

Seulgi knows that Irene has always been a good girl but he was hanging on to that tiny hope that in situations like this, Irene will consider her feelings for him.

 

The night ended with the two leaders of South Korea’s biggest boy groups continuing to drink separately in different bars.

 

Both lost and nervous.

 

 

 

Irene’s House.

Tuesday

7 a.m.

 

Irene was feeding her cat, Lulu. She was of course excited waiting for her new flowers to arrive this morning.

 

It has been her daily routine.

Wake up
Freshen up
Feed her cat
And any minute from now hear her doorbell ring.

 

“What is it going to be today, Lulu?” Irene talked to her cat, “It’s roses. I’m sure of it.”

 

Ding-dong.

 

Just in time.

 

But it wasn’t the delivery service boy this time.

 

It was Seulgi.

 

And YES, Irene was right, the flowers, chocolates and stuffed toys were from him.

 

Lulu was from Seulgi too.
At first, Irene thought Lulu was a stuffed toy, but then it started moving.

 

“Hi.” Seulgi greeted him, a bouquet of violet roses in his hands. “For you.”

 

“Seulgi?” Irene rubbed her eyes.

 

Twice.

 

“Why... why do you look so... so... neat… and clean?” Irene couldn’t believe her eyes.

 

Right in front of her is Kang Seulgi dressed in casual light blue polo shirt, jeans and Sperry Top-Sider blue-and-white shoes. His hair cut short, back in its natural jet-black colour, now neatly combed in place. No earrings and any accessories attached in whatever part of his body except a silver Tag Heuer Aqua racer watch. And he smelled right out of the shower too and not like his usual strong perfume.

 

Irene thought he was more handsome this time.
Boy-next-door handsome.

 

Seulgi repeated and offered the flowers again to Irene, who was still in shock. “For you.”

 

“Oh, thank you.” She blushed, got the flowers, still unmoving from where she was standing.

 

“Can I come in?” Seulgi asked, smiling.

 

“Please…” This time Irene had moved to the side to let Seulgi in.

 

“Seulgi…” Irene called out to him when he was on his way to the living room. “Suho-oppa…”

 

“We talked…” Seulgi turned to her. “And it’s me against him, Irene. It’s all out in the open now. And just so you know, I am doing everything to have you. Everything. Even this.”

 

He was referring to his outfit and the change in him.

 

Irene smiled. She was touched. It was indeed effort on his part to be dressing up like that. For some, it may be a simple effort but it was hard for Seulgi.

 

Dressing up like he used to is an expression of himself. That is who he is. And to be restricting himself and be going against what he wants, is sacrifice.

 

All for Bae Joohyun.

 

“Honestly, I feel like wearing this.” He admitted shyly. “But he called me trash. And that I wouldn’t look good next to you…”

 

“Oh Seulgi…”

 

“My fans are going to hate this.” He shook his head. “The Kang Seulgi has become a Baby Bear. I should be called Seulgom instead.”

 

Irene laughed out loud. “Come here, Baby-Bear. I missed you.”

 

Seulgi wasted no time and hugged Irene tight. It’s true that they haven’t seen each other for so long. They kept distance because of Irene's request since Suho was on to them.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter