Let's Grow Old Together

Close
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Saturday Afternoon Near Irene’s House.   “Let’s stop this, Seul.” Irene said in between sobs, “I’m feeling guilty as it is. Let’s just stop.”   Seulgi and Irene were inside Seulgi’s parked near Irene’s house. The sun is still up but Seulgi’s car is heavily tinted so no one can see them. The two is having a very serious talk and Irene, obviously was crying her heart out.   Seulgi on the other hand, couldn’t understand and was shocked by Irene’s sudden change of heart.   “Why?” he asked, no looking at her.   “I said I’m feeling guilty.” She replied, stuffing a rolled tissue onto her clogged nose.   “When we started this we both knew what we’re doing Irene.” Seulgi reminded her, “We both knew even at the very beginning, is there someone else?”   “There’s no one…” Irene answered, “And even if there is, fidelity could never be an issue for us Seulgi. For goodness sake, we are in an affair.”   Irene was right and Seulgi could not argue with that. Seulgi has a girlfriend, Jena. They have been together for years now. He had loved her, truly. But who is Irene to Seulgi?   She had been a colleague at first. Someone he respected because he finds her talented and she had been the leader of a group just like him. Other than that, she didn’t strike him as someone special.   They met a coordi-noona’s birthday party. It was a former staff of SM who transferred to YG. Since she handled Seulgi, he was nice enough to attend her simple birthday celebration at her house attended by her family and friends. He was surprised to see Irene there as well.   Their ‘special’ friendship then took off from there. They exchange phone numbers and contacted each other frequently. It was not long after that they found out they shared the same interests in food, music, places to travel – just too many things.   Even their personalities matched. Likes and dislikes are almost similar. The chemistry is undeniable. Until they couldn’t contain their feelings anymore that they decided to take their relationship to the next level.   But Seulgi loves Jena. And yet, likes Irene. And Irene likes Seulgi too.   Truth is, Seulgi spends more time with Irene than Jena. Jena is in Japan. He only sees Jena when he flies to Tokyo, other than that, his dating life is mostly spent with Bae Joohyun. Nut now, Red Velvet’s leader wants out, she suddenly feels guilty all of sudden.   “I need valid reason. I know this an affair but.” Seulgi still confused asked, “This couldn’t happen overnight.”   “Break up with Jena.” Irene stopped crying and looked at Seulgi, she was more serious now.   “What?” he turned to face her. He couldn’t believe what he just heard.   “You heard me. Your car isn’t big and there’s just the two of us. Break up with her or we’re over.” With that said, Irene went out of his car, running towards her house.   Irene knew that was something that she knows she wasn’t supposed to do. She was not in the position to make any demands. She was the other woman. But what has gotten into her mind?   Only one thing had led her to it. Bae Joohyun had fallen in love. Bae Joohyun is in love with Kang Seulgi.   Irene was frantic. Seulgi didn’t attempt to call her after six days. No calls, no messages. She couldn’t tell her friends.   This affair was exclusive. For Seulgi and Irene only.   They even have aliases for each other. Seulgi calls her Rene-Hyung. Irene calls him Jiyeon-Unni.   Smart.   Until finally Irene couldn’t hold it any longer that she felt she was going crazy, she told her best friend. She thought she’d take it lightly after all, she’s fating Seulgi’s, Jisoo’s best friend.   She called her and for the first time she had heard the fierce Pink Monster mad.   “Seriously?” Jennie almost shouting, “I need explanation Bae Joohyun. When, how, and why this affair started?”   it was the eve prior Jennie’s flight to Bangkok when she Irene was crying: she and Seulgi had a fight.   “It just happened.” Irene began. “We’re too similar. We just clicked. We met at one party and we talked and that’s it.”   “He has a girlfriend.” Stressed Jennie referring to Jena.   “But she lives in Japan.”   “You are impossible.” Jennie rolled her eyes. “Pack your bags, and come with me to Bangkok!!”   “Jennie… please.” Irene pleaded.   “Does Jisoo know?” Jennie asked.   “No.”   “Only Seulgi and I know.” Irene told her, “And we broke up already, I mean, I think we did. I told him to leave Jena or we’re over. I haven’t heard from him since. So, I guess that’s it for us.”   “Oh Rene.” Jennie’s voice softened.   “Don’t worry about me. I’ve seen this coming. It’s wrong to begin with. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Soooo wrong.” Irene’s voice echoed heartbreak. “I’m going with Rosé to London. Thanks for the invite though. Bangkok? Wait that’s Kai-ssi is from…”   “Long story, Rene.” Jennie told her, “I’m bringing Jisoo with me, don’t worry. And he’s practicing to act ‘gay’, it’s too funny.”   “What?!”   “Kai’s sister told their family Jisoo’s my gay best friend… anyway, they still think Kai and I are still together. Anyhow, let’s keep each other updated, alright.” Jennie sounded worried. “If I just don’t love Kang Jisoo. I’m on my way now to beat the out of his best friend.”   “I love you Jen.” Irene smiled.   “I love you Rene.” Jennie answered back. “Hang on tight… and Rene, you’re ier than Jena. I’m not saying because I’m your best friend, but you are. She looks sooooo plain. I don’t know what Seulgi sees in her, but she’s too damn plain. Even Jisoo thinks so too. Oh well, Jisoo’s got too think every girl’s plain except me.”   “You !” laughed Irene.   Jennie laughed too. “Call me, Irene.”   “Yup, I will. And don’t tell Jisoo yet.”   “Okay, I won’t. bye.”   “Bye. Take care, have fun in Bangkok.” Irene ended the call.   Thank goodness for best friends. Thank goodness for Jennie.   She made her feel better.   Obviously now she knew Seulgi made his choice. She didn’t have high expectations anyway; all she had was a little hope.   But that little hope slowly vanishes as days pass by without any call from Seulgi.    

 

Bangkok, Thailand Hotel Sofitel So Bangkok Park Society Rooftop Restaurant Saturday 6pm   The Kim clan (Kai’s maternal side) is expecting their more than 300 guest to completely arrive by now and grace the 65th wedding anniversary of Kai grandparents.   The celebration is being held at Park Society restaurant, at the rooftop of Hotel Sofitel So in Bangkok with a Parisian theme selected by the couple’s grandchildren. The place was so elegant, overlooking the city light of Bangkok and ambience was intimate enough to celebrate such momentous occasion. The weather was even perfect – it wasn’t a hot day in Bangkok.   The old couple sat by the entrance of the rooftop, greetings everyone who came to celebrate with them. They were so happy. All of their six children were there, even those living overseas came home. Their grandchildren, 24 in total, great-grandchildren- five were all present.   Kai came down from the 23rd floor with his arms linked with Ms. Jennie Kim. All eyes on them. Donning an all-black suit, Kai looked every inch of a Thai prince, with a very beautiful princess by his side.   Jennie, wearing a shirt pink one-shoulder dress looked stunning as ever. She looked like a bride. Her hair and make-up were done as if she was getting married.   They were perfect together. Well, almost.   Because someone behind them made the princely Kai look just ordinary. And that someone actually looks more perfect with Jennie.   Dressed in a tuxedo, Jisoo followed the ‘couple’ but kept his distance. He plastered a fake smile on his face, a smile that would make him more handsome. The one that would make Jennie go all weak.   “Oh there they are!” Kai’s mom exclaimed.   “Sawasdee ka.” Jennie greeted Kai’s family   kai greeted just the same, “Sawasdee Krup.”   And he kissed everyone. Jennie panicked and kissed everyone too, much to the family’s delight. They have truly liked her. Kai’s mom have endlessly told her son how she wanted Jennie to be her daughter-in-law in the future and she had never kept this a secret. She had told the family and her friends alike.   “Oh by the way, this is my best friend, Kang Jisoo.” Jennie introduced Jisoo.   Jisoo bowed and clasp his hands (he did the traditional of greeting someone.) “Sawasdee krup.”   “Roop ngaam (handsome)” grandma said, who stood up, touching Jisoo’s face.   “Mama.” One of her daughters stopped her, quite embarrassed by what she did, but she translated it for Jisoo. “She said you are handsome.”   Jennie smiled at grandma’s action. Even grandma thinks her Jisoo is handsome.   “Kob Khun Krap (thank you.” Jisoo said in broken Thai, he smiled at the old lady. “Happy anniversary Grandma.”   “So handsome.” Grandma continued to adore Jisoo.   One point for me. Jisoo thought.   They went inside, with Jennie still holding on to Kai. Kai’s cousins were whispering to each other upon seeing Jisoo.   “I can’t believe he’s gay!” Aum said. One of Kai’s cousins and a Blackpink fan. “I just won’t accept. I am betting that he and Jennie are the ones dating and the ‘gay’ thing’s a cover up.”   Chereen, Kai’s sister who was in the same table was quiet. What has she done? She couldn’t tell them the truth and mess everything up.   “You made a point.” Chai, another cousin agreed, “And why is Krystal here then? She and Kai must be up to something. And geez, lot at Jisoo, oh my goodness. Those y eyes. And look at Jennie, she’s with Kai but she never, for once, kept her eyes off Jisoo.”   I can’t be obvious; I can’t be obvious. Chereen thought.   Chereen decided that she couldn’t be obvious so she joined the conversation. “I might as well ask my brother. As far as I know, Jen and him are solid as rock.”   “And what? They’re best friends? C’mon! gimme a break. That’s so lame. They’re probably banging each other. Jisoo is here because he won’t allow his girlfriend to be with her ex. It’s that simple and of course, it’s their chance to get away.” Added an older cousin Ratana, who was drinking wine very early at the party. “By the way, they’re an unlikely couple. But, they’re hot.”   Wisdom really does come with age. Ratana being the oldest had nailed it.   Nobody’s buying that Jisoo was gay. And everyone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter