Close

Close
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo’s Pad

 

Jisoo came back to his house lifeless, holding few bills in his hands.

 

Seungyoon and Jinwoo were silent when their Hyung walked in. They knew the gravity of the situation. It was clear that Jisoo and Jennie were on the verge of getting back together but was halted when she saw an unfamiliar woman at his house.

 

Who can blame Jennie?

 

And no one even dared to explain.

 

Jisoo cannot. It was the first time he saw that woman.

 

Rika spoke first, “Jisoo, this is Aiko. Aiko please meet Kang Jisoo.”

 

Jisoo bit his lip and spoke, “I hate to be rude, but it’s not nice to meet you, Aiko-chan.”

 

Aiko was embarrassed by how Jisoo reacted initially towards her. She was downright confused but nevertheless, she was attracted to him. The moment he entered his pad, she couldn’t take her eyes off him.

 

Her friend, Yuko was right. Yuko’s boyfriend, Jinwoo was right. Jisoo was more handsome in person. She’d seen him on television in Japanese shows but it’s the first time that they have met face to face. And she’s captivated.

 

Aiko Ishigawa, is a commercial model, seven years older than Jisoo. She too, just like most of Jisoo's ideal types, is beautiful, elegant, classy, reserved and smart. Her parents were both lawyers, and both her older brothers practice the same profession. Despite being the youngest, and having lived as the family’s ‘little princess’ she grew up to be unspoiled and grounded. She was Yuko’s best friend since elementary days.

 

Jinwoo best described Aiko as the cross between Hong Soojoo and Jennie Kim. He said Aiko somewhat resembles the maturity of the model and has some traits and mannerisms but to some extent reminds him of Jennie’s bubbly personality.

 

In other words, she could be the perfect girl.
Jisoo's perfect girl.

 

So when news of the break-up of Jisoo and Jennie reached him, Jinwoo persuaded Seungyoon to connive with him with his plan to set Jisoo up with Aiko.

 

At first, Seungyoon didn’t like the idea. He loves Jennie and he believes that her break-up with Jisoo is just a minor setback. But when Jinwoo reminded him of how Jisoo has this “getting-over” problem, it would probably take ages for him to get over Jennie, Seungyoon gave in. And just in case this is not just a ‘minor setback’ then their Hyung is in trouble again.

 

Jinwoo quickly approached Jisoo and whispered to him on the side, “Hyung, she’s Yuko’s best friend. I know you’re surprised… but can’t you at least pretend?”

 

“What the hell is going on?” Jisoo is pissed; He threw Jinwoo an angry look when he asked.

 

Seungyoon didn’t waste any time and joined the two. “Hyung, we’re just trying to help here. We don’t want another ‘model' in the making. Aiko is here for you to forget Jen—“

 

“ it, Kang Seungyoon!” Jisoo shouted furiously.

 

Kang Jisoo was mad, angry and agitated.

 

The ladies in his house were startled in an instant and became nervous the next second.

 

“No one is trying to forget someone here.” Jisoo followed up. Tears were welling up his eyes. “I was hopelessly and helplessly trying to forget Soojoo Noona ages ago… and now, I am desperately trying to win back Kim Jennie Ruby Jane. There’s a huge difference between the two. And damn it, I was this CLOSE, and you guys ing ruined it all.”

 

Jisoo was cursing again.
There were tears in his eyes.
He admitted he was desperate.
He called Jennie by her complete name, for the first time in front of his friends.

 

Those were things that are so un-Kang Jisoo.

 

Complete in one-blow.

 

Seungyoon and Jinwoo both got scared.
Seungyoon felt like crying.
Jinwoo felt like wetting his pants.

 

BoomBayah.

 

Jisoo sighed deeply and turned to Aiko, “I’m sorry. This isn’t the best time, I guess. I’m Jisoo. Kang Jisoo. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have something important to attend to…”

 

Jisoo got the keys to his car and left. He didn’t look at his dongsaengs who were still unable to move at that point. It was the first time that they saw Jisoo that mad.

 

Few minutes later, he and his Audi were on the road to nowhere.

 

   

SM Entertainment Building

 

“Isn’t this what you guys have waited for all this time?” Lee Soo Man beamed at Jennie. “After this movie, we will announce your relationship. Finally, I don’t owe Jisoo anything anymore.”

 

They will be starring in a movie together.

 

Jisoo and Jennie.

 

The deal was signed knowing they wouldn’t disagree. They are in a relationship after all.

 

They didn’t know they'd broken up. Only their family and closest friends did.

 

Boombayah.

 

“Sajang-nim.” Jennie was touching the hem of her skirt. She doesn’t know where to begin. “I.. I… I…”

 

Jennie was sitting right across Lee Soo Man in his office. The SM CEO called her early in the morning to his office, to announce the good news to her. Lee Soo Man was actually excited to tell her about his plans because he kind of felt guilty that he had a hand in postponing their marriage back then. Jennie had been a good artist, and she’s like a daughter to him. And he had liked Jisoo, and recently, (even publicly now), Lee Soo Man admits his admiration for the Blackpink lead vocalist.

 

“Last week, my wife and I went to this store in Gangnam to buy a suit for her nephew’s wedding.” Lee Soo Man told her smiling. “I couldn’t choose between two suits. But I prefer a navy blue one over a black pinstriped one. Anyway, I think they’re both good.”

 

Jennie listened intently, at least this is a distraction before she tells him, she and Jisoo have broken up.

 

“So I asked my wife which one is better.” Lee Soo Man went on, “She and I decided that the navy blue is better. I said I’d still buy both. She was confused, why would I need to buy both? Then I told her, ‘I’ll wear the black pinstriped on your nephew’s wedding and this navy blue suit on Jennie and Jisoo’s wedding.”

 

Oh dear.

 

Jennie wanted to fall off her seat.

 

“Sajang-nim.” Jennie had to swallow hard. “We’re over. Jisoo and I. We broke up.”

 

Lee Soo Man kept quiet.

 

“Sajang-nim?” Jennie searched for a reaction from his face.

 

“I’m waiting for you to say you’re joking.” Lee Soo Man seriously replied.

 

Jennie shook her head. “No Sir. I’m not.”

 

“Is it because—“ Lee Soo Man wanted to ask if it’s because of him.

 

“It’s us, not because of anyone else.” Jennie answered. She was still holding on to the hem of her skirt. She was still nervous.

 

“I’m sorry…” Lee Soo Man couldn’t look at Jennie, “If I didn’t stop you before, you might…”

 

“Sajang-nim…” Jennie stopped him, “It’s not your fault… Never your fault.”

 

Their conversation ended with more apologies coming from Lee Soo Man. Jennie explained that so many things happened and that none of it was Lee Soo Man’s fault. The SM CEO also called up Jisoo and he heard the same thing. Jisoo even promised to invite him for a drink the next weekend. No worries, Jisoo also assured him. It was between him and Jennie.

 

He was quite relieved that both Jennie and Jisoo did not blame him. But guilt was still hounding him. He even felt guiltier; when they both assured him that the movie will push thru as the deal was signed already. It was still business after all. They were both professionals. He knew they must be hurting. If he was correct, they’re on to five years in their relationship; it must’ve been torture to work together now that they’ve separated.

 

He suddenly had worn the ‘father hat’ this time around. And he is one of the people who felt bad about their separation.

 

 

 

YG Entertainment Building

 

“What happened exactly?” Yang Hyun Suk asked.

 

“It rained.” Jisoo replied, his expression a mixture of desperation and regret.

 

Yang Hyun Suk laughed, “It rained? It must’ve been a storm. You didn’t bring an umbrella?”

 

Jisoo chuckled, “I thought we were strong enough. Well, it did rain for a time… When it stopped, there’s a new thing that we needed to face.”

 

Jisoo continued to smoke while looking into the horizon, that is, the buildings surrounding the area.

 

“Do you still love her?” Yang Hyun Suk asked.

 

“Is Blackpink more popular than Exo?” (I love Exo don’t get me wrong) He smiled evilly at his boss.

 

Of course.
No questions asked.
Hands down.

 

They both laughed arrogantly.

 

“I am still signing up your babies, Jisoo.” Yang Hyun Suk reminded him. “Yours and Jennie’s. Every time I come up here on this rooftop, I remember that… So, don’t you forget.”

 

“Yes, yes.” Jisoo nodded. “Sometimes, I’m actually tempted just to get her pregnant so she doesn’t have any other choice but to marry me, but knowing her, she might just raise my baby alone.”

 

Yang Hyun Suk hit Jisoo in the head, “Pabo! Marry her first. Don’t make her like other women.”

 

“Hyung!” Jisoo complained, “That hurts. Please.”

 

Seems like déjà vu.

 

“Give her sometime.” Yang Hyun Suk suddenly became serious. He suddenly turned into the Hyung, the one that Jisoo is seeking out that windy afternoon. “I’m sure everything’s going to be alright.”

 

“Thanks, Hyung.” Jisoo smiled. “Suddenly, I have gotten into thinking that maybe I’m tiring her out.”

 

Yang Hyun Suk let Jisoo speak. He saw that Jisoo is hurting a lot now. This boy doesn't talk, especially when something’s bothering him; more so if he’s hurting.

 

Now he is talking.
This is bad.

 

“Maybe I am tiring her out.” Jisoo repeated. “I don’t want to hurt her. That’s the last thing I want to do. I’d take all the hurt, all the pain. I’d rather be sad… then see her cry.”

 

Jisoo looked at his Hyung. He was not looking for answers this time around. He was telling him what he feels, what he wants to do and he is stating the obvious: He loves Jennie more than anyone and anything.

 

“I love her, Hyung. I love Jennie so much. You know that, right? I was willing to give up everything for her… When I said everything, I meant everything.” Jennie let out a heavy sigh, and gave Yang Hyun Suk a defeated smile.

 

Jisoo knew that discussing ‘EVERYTHING’ with Yang Hyun Suk was a bit sensitive. Yes, he was his Hyung, and he was his friend. But he was still his boss. Yang Hyun Suk, worked his out for Jisoo to attain his ‘EVERYTHING’.

 

Fame.
Fortune.
Fans.
Music.
His entire career.
His Dreams.
Everything.

 

“I am confused about what went wrong.” Jisoo continued to confide. He lit up another cigarette. “Next thing I know, I was shouting at her and there she was throwing her rings at me. I didn’t know what to do, Hyung. I wanted to just apologize but… I’m hurt too. My mind’s clouded. I feel guilty being jealous but the truth is, I still am… I’m still jealous of D.O.”

 

The Turtle Rabbit is still jealous.
He finally admits it.
But he did try not to.

 

He tried hard.
Really hard.

 

“And I realized that maybe, I’m too hard on her.”

 

“Jisoo…” Yang Hyun Suk tried to console him, “What is it that you really like to do?”

 

“Hyung, you know what I really want.”

 

“What?” His CEO wanted him to say it loud.

 

“I want to start a family with Jennie.” Jisoo didn’t flinch when he said those words. Despite admitting he didn’t know exactly what went wrong, he still knows what he wants to happen.

 

“Then make it happen.” Yang Hyun Suk told him coolly.

 

“She hates me now.” Jisoo showed him her rings on his little finger. “I’m engaged to myself, basically.”

 

Yang Hyun Suk laughed and walked away, he shouted when he was almost at the door near the exit. “Everybody loves Jisoo. I’m sure Jennie still does. I’m sure of it. By the time your movie’s over I’m pretty you guys are back together and soon after will get married, want to bet?”

 

Jisoo shook his head, laughing. “What’s at stake?”

 

“I’m fairly cheap.” Yang Hyun Suk chuckled. “R8.”

 

It’s a top of the line sports car from German Car maker AUDI. Jisoo drives the same expensive car.

 

“Call.” Jisoo smiled back at him.

 

Jisoo felt relieved upon talking to Yang Hyun Suk. He has always been a good hyung. If he was a cool boss, he was even a cooler hyung. He knew right that very moment that he wouldn’t care if he needed to buy him two, three, four cars. He needed to have Jennie back.

 

He wants her and he needs her back.

 

Jisoo needs his Ruby Jane back in his life.
Desperately.

 

 

 

Movie Script Reading

 

“Get out of my life… I don’t need you anymore.” Jennie read her script with so much emotion that the director was so impressed. It was only their first meeting, their first story conference for their movie and Jennie had immersed into her character right away.

 

“But I need you back…” Jisoo replied, without looking at his script.

 

The director had to look at his own copy. He had to wear his glasses just to make sure. Other actors, actresses, writers and staff present had to re-read their scripts to check they read right.

 

Jisoo was supposed to say, “Go ahead and leave… I want you out of my life too.”

 

Im Sang Jin, the director scratched his head. “Jisoo-ssi, you we’re supposed to say ---“

 

Jisoo quickly replied, “I was just joking Director-ssi, everyone is so serious.”
He said that but he never took his eyes off Jennie.

 

He meant it. Those words. And it pierced right through Jennie’s heart.

 

She pretended not to be bothered at all. She laughed when everyone laughed when he said it was just a joke. She was an actress, she was acting even the camera was not rolling.

 

Jisoo and Jennie started shooting their movie.

 

The story was about childhood best friends who at some point in their relationship fell in love with each other.

 

Cliché.

But there's a twist: they’re both taken.


They could not admit their feelings for each other.

 

They were holding back for so long; first, they have their own relationships to think about and protect AND more importantly, the ‘eternal’ friendship that they share.

 

Their characters were forced to finally admit their long-kept feelings when they both woke up next to each other, bodies sore, obviously, something grand happened the night before.

Something that shouldn’t have happened.

That something that should never happen when you’re just friends.
Never, ever when you’re best of friends.

 

So much angst filled the story line. The characters were forced to be together at first, but things didn’t turn out the way they expected. They fought and fought. The scenes and dialogues involved were full of bitterness.

The break-up scene included in the script was a nightmare for both of them.

 

Jennie wanted to back-out. It’s as if relieving their own break-up. When she was studying the script, she thought of suggesting that maybe they could just make the story light, or just let the characters be at ease with each other or maybe lessen the hate and angst.

 

She began to worry. Sleep becomes less for her as days pass by. Jennie studies her role and she immerses herself into her character. It wasn’t too hard.

 

Jisoo had become her best friend for the past years that they’ve dated and now they have parted ways.
But she does not want to go that ordeal of breaking up with him the nasty way, AGAIN.

 

Every time she is reminded of that night in his house, she wants to cry. And she repeats that scene until she jumps into that memory of meeting that unfamiliar Japanese woman in his house.

 

She didn’t ask him anymore about that woman, and he didn’t bother explaining. She was all the way confused too, why Jisoo did not attempt to air his side. They were apart for two months before they saw each other at Eric Moon and Han Ye Seul’s wedding, he might be seeing other girls too. But he looked shocked when he saw that woman.

 

‘But why didn’t you tell me who she is, Jisoo? If she’s nobody, then tell me,’ Jennie asked in her mind. She had questions. She wanted to know why Jisoo never explained anymore. Why he never ran after her anymore.

 

Jennie had questions.
Jisoo never gave his answers.

 

He was jealous.
But he promised her he wouldn’t be anymore.
He was scared that he’s tiring her… and that he’s being too hard on her.

 

… and he’s hurt.
The Turtle Rabbit is hurt.

 

But Jisoo still goes to her house every night to check if she’d arrived. He would check with Jieun, Jennie’s manager for her schedule so he’ll know her trips overseas and her activities. He still kept in touch with her family.

 

At one point, he just couldn’t control himself, he went inside her house and kissed her goodnight.

 

He thought she was asleep. She was not.
Jennie cried good two hours before finally drifting to dreamland.

 

He cried in his car.

 

 

Filming the movie was a bit awkward at first. Fellow cast, staff, crew and the entire production thought Jisoo and Jennie were awkward because of the undying rumours between the two of them. It was a good thing that people on the set happened to be nice that the two warmed up easily and not long after, they began talking to each other. Soon after, some were already teasing Jisoo and Jennie together.

 

“Are those rumours true?” Kim Jung Nan, the actress who plays Jennie’s mother in the movie asked. They were on break on the set. She and Jennie were having coffee.

 

“Mmmm?” Jennie pretended she didn’t hear.

 

“That’s a yes.” Kim Jung Nan smiled and sipped her coffee. “Ah, young love. So, the bed scene wouldn’t be a problem, then.”

 

Bed scene?

 

Jennie almost spit her coffee.

 

Say what?

Bed what?

There was a bed scene?

 

She had read the script so many times now. She never came across the bed scene. Not even once. What is Kim Jung Nan-sunbae talking about?

 

The older actress looked at the surprised Jennie, she too was surprised at her reaction, “What? I’m sure you’ve done it with Jisoo.” She teased, obviously trying to make her admit.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter