Chapter 29: A Life of Responsibilities and Passion

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Half a year passed by swiftly and things got even more heated up. The organisation was confident that they could successfully topple Minister Song as they bought over more of the minister’s men and uncovered even more evidences of his corruption. It had sickened Seungwan how a wrong man placed in power could cause so much damage to a country, it also made Seungwan slightly mad how the Emperor of Bae was blind to his ministers corruptions however this thought, she would have to keep it to herself.

Also, during this time, news of Taeyeon returning to Mongolia had begun to spread through the palace. It was spoken of hushedly as if it was a disgrace, but Seungwan knew better.

Glad at the news that reached her ears, Seungwan had urgently gone to meet her sister. Trying to contain her excitement, Seungwan forced herself to put on a stoic expression.

That stoic expression evaporated the instant she reached her sister’s rooms and closed the door behind her. Taeyeon had also tossed herself into Seungwan’s arms unreservedly.

“The Empress is letting me go back,” Taeyeon exclaimed.

Seungwan smiled gladly at her sister’s jubilee. “Yes, you are. Finally. But… there, there, Princess Taeyeon, you should be feeling regretful instead of happiness, shouldn’t you?”

Both of them burst out into laughter at the mockery before they settled down by the table.

 

“How did you manage to convince the Empress?” Seungwan asked.

Sehun had actually helped Taeyeon expedite the process. The prince had planted fake monks who read out ominous fates about Prince Baekhyun and Taeyeon’s marriage. His course of remedy, was of course for the princess to return to her homeland for an extended period of time to rid of the ill-luck on her. The Empress was later told stories about the shamans of the great plains and how they could either place or lift curses off.

Taeyeon had promised Sehun that she would not tell Seungwan of Sehun’s help. Taeyeon shrugged, “the remedies did not work and temple visits were even more disastrous. The Empress was a believer and so she allowed me to return to recuperate myself or lift any curses on me.”

Seungwan’s jaws opened slightly. “Is that real? Had I known that the Empress was so superstitious, I would have suggested a temple visit earlier.”

“It isn’t that easy. I went twice a week,” Taeyeon scolded her sister lightly.

Seungwan shuddered and Taeyeon could not help but smile. Tucking away a lock of hair behind Seungwan’s ear, Taeyeon said, “our father Khan will likely make up a lot of excuses to keep me there. Perhaps even feign my death.”

Seungwan pressed her lips together and nodded. “Now I see why the temple visits are necessary. Did they predict your death too?”

Taeyeon clucked her tongue and pushed her sister lightly. “You and your sharp tongue.”

Seungwan smiled sheepishly and Taeyeon pulled her younger sister in for another embrace. “What about you, Seungwan? You have got to return back home soon too.”

“They treat me genuinely well here and our countries are at peace. Don’t worry about me, Taeyeon. Sehun is working hard to maintain the peace between our countries. It is all for the good of our people.”

Taeyeon was not so sure about that but she smiled anyway. “Take good care of yourself,” after a pause, she continued, “and Princess Joohyun.”

Seungwan blushed and Taeyeon thought her younger sister never looked cuter. Taeyeon was then reminded of how Seungwan had only been ten when she came into the palace with her, now her sister had already fully grown into a beautiful young lady and tears came into her eyes.

Taeyeon felt rough fingers caressing below her eyes.

“T-Taeyeon, are you crying?” Seungwan asked worriedly.

Denying with a sniffle, Taeyeon Seungwan’s head. “Just tears of joy.”

The concern in her younger sister’s eyes lingered but Seungwan still beamed at her. “Send my regards to Miyoung when you return. I love you sister.”

Seungwan has truly grown up and Taeyeon was having difficulty as she held back from shedding more tears.

“I love you too, Seungwan. Be safe, be healthy and most importantly, be happy.”  

**

After the informal training with the young members at their organisation, Seungwan was perusing through the information they have gathered over the years when her ears picked up soft, almost imperceptible footsteps behind her. Seungwan grabbed the hand that had tried to sneak an attack on her.

The little girl squealed. It was only Yeri.

“Seungwan… what did you do? Why does it hurt so much?” Yeri asked in surprise and massaged her wrist.

“Pressure points. Yeri, if you had cared to read up on the book I had gifted you…” Seungwan said but the little girl feigned a yawn.

Now that there was only the two of them and Yeri knowing that she is Seungwan’s favourite pupil, the girl could behaved really informally with her teacher.

“Yeri, this document that you have intercepted from Minister Song’s man… are there others similar to it?” Seungwan asked.

Yeri nodded. “Of course, that is why I came to see you.”

“You came to see me to sneak an attack on me you mean?” Yeri sniggered and Seungwan bobbed the little girl on the nose.

“I shall ask Taeyong to be stricter on your training lest the rest of the young members accuse me of favouritism.”

“But I am really your favourite!” Yeri whined and Seungwan gave a cursory glance at the girl before returning to the information gathered.

Yeri, despite her young age, had been assigned difficult tasks in the organisation. This time round, it was no different for their final stages of investigation on Minister Song. Yeri had collected and retrieved many important evidences that could be testified against Minister Song.

When Jongdae and Kyungsoo arrived, Seungwan then informed the princes that they were in the last stage which was to prepare expose of Minister Song in court. A highly dangerous move that required the princes to be extremely tactful.

Taeyong and Seulgi were present as well however they merely listened. Their roles were to supplement details during the first few phases of their proposal.

“Whatever it is… don’t let Joohyun be dragged into this. I do not want Minister Song’s men to target her unnecessarily.”

“We might need Joohyun to support our decision before our father Emperor. Do not worry about Joohyun, we will be swift. All the men colluding with Minister Song will be put behind bars quickly and we will trial them later.”

Seungwan shook her head. “No, we cannot ask for Joohyun’s support in this and we cannot assume to have the capabilities to put all of Minister Song’s aides behind bars. If we missed out just even one and something untoward befalls upon Joohyun, she will be left completely unprotected.”

Jongdae was about to retort but Kyungsoo had stopped him. “Jongdae has a point but Seungwan is right as well. Joohyun’s political voice is much louder than ours. However, we cannot be too confident about being able to identify and apprehend all of Minister Song’s accomplices in time. With us occupied in bringing Minister Song’s accomplices to justice, we cannot possibly have enough resources to guard Joohyun. The safest course of action would be to leave our sister out of this prosecution.”

Seungwan nodded her head fiercely and glared in Jongdae’s direction as if in challenge. Throwing up his hands in defeat, Jongdae sighed and said, “fine… I would not want to face both your wraths should anything untoward happen to our sister.”             

Seungwan made her point clear with a resolute nod of her head. “Definitely.”

The rest of their discussions revolved around how to further cement their plans on how they should prosecute and imprison Minister Song in the most riskless way possible.

It was not until then that Seungwan had realised that she must have spoken of Joohyun’s safety excessively and was at risk of evoking the princes’ suspicions about their relationship. She would not relent however, as long as the matter concerned Joohyun, she could not take it lightly.

I will protect you Joohyun, no matter what it takes.

 **

“Seulgi… do you truly not know which guild my sister has been meeting up with?” Sehun had asked.

Seulgi’s eyes darted about for a brief moment before she replied to the prince. “No, Prince Sehun, Princess Seungwan has never told me of their names, much less to speak of their origins, I do not know who Princess Seungwan has been dealing with.”

Sehun in a deep breath but nodded his head. “Very well then. Be sure to keep my younger sister occupied with such… frivolous affairs…”

“What do you mean, Prince Sehun?”

“Surely you know that my sister has been erring on the playful side of the court and I wished for matters to be kept in the same way. Don’t ever let her get involved with Princess Joohyun’s matters.”

Seulgi’s brows furrowed in spite of herself. “Princess Joohyun’s matters?”

“You should know it, Seulgi. Do not pretend with me. Your Princess Joohyun, together with Prince Jondae and Prince Kyungsoo are doing their best to weed out corruption in the court.”

“Is that not a good thing?” Seulgi asked.

Sehun grunted.  “Of course it is good, for the people of Han.”

Seulgi sensed the sarcasm in the prince’s voice and became warier. “Forgive me for stating this, my prince, but why do you not sound h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter