Chapter 21: Love on the Horizon

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prince Kyungsoo was pacing around his own yurt, extremely perturbed by what his royal brother had uttered the night before while he was intoxicated.

In his drunken stupor, Prince Jongdae had clearly pronounced that he wanted to pursue Princess Seungwan and marry her and that their marriage would further unify their two countries. It was not the unifying of the countries that put Prince Kyungsoo at ill-ease, it was the marrying of Princess Seungwan because Prince Kyungsoo had the exact intentions of doing so.

Since young, Prince Kyungsoo had been subservient to Prince Jongdae who was his elder and closest brother. However, when it came to matters of heart, Prince Kyungsoo realised that he could not give Seungwan up, even if they had to vie for her hand. Every time Prince Kyungsoo saw a smile drawn across the princess’s face, the prince would find his world lit up too. The prince was certain that Princess Seungwan would be the only person he would ever have feelings for in this lifetime.  

“Kyungsoo, you’re up already?” Prince Jongdae asked sleepily.    

Prince Kyungsoo nodded with a stoic expression.

“My head feels like it is splitting. The Mongolians’ mulled wine is truly potent. Did I do anything foolish the night before?” Prince Jongdae asked.

Prince Kyungsoo gave his brother a tentative look before passing his hungover brother a warm towel.

“Fortunately, we managed to drag you back into the tent before you performed silly acts,” Prince Kyungsoo said dryly.  

Giving a sheepish grin, Prince Jongdae slapped his royal brother with the towel. “Sorry, if I have embarrassed myself. Knew I could count on you.”

Prince Kyungsoo had felt upset initially but upon hearing his brother’s words, he could not help but smile. No matter what, Prince Jongdae was still his blood sibling and since young, they had done every single thing with the other.

“The sun is already so high up? Should we go disturb our royal sister and Princess Seungwan?” Prince Jongdae asked cheekily.

With a sorry smile, Prince Kyungsoo replied, “I have sent men for their tent but they returned with the news that the princesses had gone out early in the morning.”

“Oh dang! They went out to have fun without us!” Prince Jongdae groaned.  

 

The two princesses had been exceptionally quiet when they had returned and it aroused Kyungsoo’s worries. They were in the princes’ tents, chatting, with the princes doing most of the talking.

Prince Kyungsoo had quietly crept up to Princess Seungwan’s side and asked softly. “You look a little upset. Are you feeling unwell?”

Princess Seungwan merely returned a slight smirk and shook her head.

Prince Kyungsoo was about to ask more questions when a messenger came for the princes and princesses.

Im’Run Khan and his eldest son, Prince Chanyeol had arrived to convene with the Great Khan and the Emperor Bae.  

The royal siblings from the Bae court met the news with raised brows and only Princess Seungwan seemed to be excited. They all briefly remembered that Prince Chanyeol had accompanied the young Princess Seungwan on her first visit to the court. Ever since then, nothing much was heard about him. Later, they learnt that the Mongolian prince from the allied tribe of the Great Khan was summoned back by his father Khan and fought in wars with the other wild tribes.

 

Princess Seungwan had not heard from Prince Chanyeol for a long time and was naturally happy to receive news about her childhood friend’s arrival once more. She had been told by her brothers that Chanyeol was fighting off the wild tribes who stole their livestock, murdered men, women and kidnapped the children to become their slaves. It was outrageous. After much discussion between the Great Khan and Im’Run Khan, it was decided that Chanyeol would join his father in pursuing these outlaws.

The sound of horse hooves pounding against the ground was indication that Prince Chanyeol and his entourage had arrived. Princess Seungwan had ran out of the tent eagerly and the rest of them followed her. A cloud of dust was seen from a distance, produced by strong stallions and their fierce riders. They were soon joined by other onlookers which had included Seungwan’s own siblings.

“Ho! Look at that! That pudgy little Chanyeol has grown up into an impressive man indeed!” Prince Donghae exclaimed.

Seungwan got onto Scarlet, clenched her thighs and spurred her steed on to meet the leader of the entourage, Prince Chanyeol.

Seungwan had no fears as she closed in on the entourage. Ignoring all shouts that came after her, the princess continued speeding forth. Prince Chanyeol pulled on his steed sharply and his horse reared. A fierce grin on his face as he beheld Seungwan’s face and admired the same grin on her face. Leaping off his own steed, he strode towards Seungwan, in a confident gait.

He took over and held Seungwan’s reign gallantly and walked to the Great Khan’s camp on foot, a gentlemanly gesture. Seungwan wondered where had Prince Chanyeol learnt all of these from. As Chanyeol tried to carry Seungwan down from Scarlet, the Mongolian princess could not help but noticed the strong knots of muscle in Chanyeol’s arms. Her childhood friend has really grown up to become a fine Mongolian warrior. Seungwan swept away the prince’s hands playfully and jumped down herself.

When Seungwan returned to Joohyun’s side, she noticed the look of discomfort on her face. To dispel of Princess Joohyun’s likely feelings of jealousy, Seungwan held her hands and whispered into her ears.

“He is just a childhood friend.”

Those words had an immediate effect and a bright smile spread across Joohyun’s face.

The Great Khan had exited the tent and greeted Prince Chanyeol with a strong clap on both the prince’s shoulders.

“What a fine boy, what a fine boy! Im’Run Khan has often told me that his son has grown up large and strong and I am glad I finally see you again with my own eyes.”

“It is because of the Great Khan’s generosity to our tribe that we are all fed so well,” Prince Chanyeol replied.

Seungwan’s brothers all took turns to share a hug with Prince Chanyeol who had towered over them. Finally, Prince Chanyeol had approached Seungwan and Seungwan held Joohyun’s hand behind her back. Instead of sharing a hug, Chanyeol had playfully bumped Seungwan on her shoulders instead. With her free hand, Seungwan punched the prince’s biceps forcefully in return.

“Still packed with as much power, princess,” Chanyeol said then added. “Let’s wrestle again some time later.”

Seungwan nodded in agreement of the challenge, happy that despite his appearance, her childhood friend has not changed much.

 

The Mongolian royal family had gathered in the throne room to formally welcome Prince Chanyeol and to relay news from Im’Run Khan.

“We bear joyous news, Great Khan,” Im’Run Khan’s general began, “Im’Run Khan and Prince Chanyeol has successfully subdued the wild tribes and won these men over to our cause. We present ten thousand of these men to your army while keeping the other ten thousand for ourselves.”

The Great Khan roared with laughter and nodded. “That is great to hear and in return for the gift of military men, I shall gift thrice the number of cattle to your tribe.”

“Great Khan, my father Khan and I would not dare to accept such gifts. It is only our duty to tame these wild tribes and we did so using your help over the numerous years. It is us who should be grateful.”

Seungwan nearly rolled her eyes at such pleasantries. If she had been Chanyeol, she would have taken the gifts suavely.

The Great Khan wrinkled his nose and reclined back into his throne chair, surveying Prince Chanyeol with narrowed eyes. “Im’Run Khan and Prince Chanyeol has been subservient to my cause over the years unlike some of the tribes. Your unquestioning loyalty cannot be taken for granted or is it that I should begin to question your loyalty for rejecting my gifts?” 

Prince Chanyeol’s brows furrowed and he knelt before the Great Khan. “Might in numbers, this is what the Great Khan has been teaching me since young. If the Mongolian tribes are scattered, we are weak and susceptible to the Jin’s and Turk’s invasions, but if we unite, we are a force to be reckoned with, Chanyeol remembers them by heart and has been echoing the same ideals to my father Khan.”

Bellowing out in laughter, the Great Khan then spoke. “Of course, you are my foster son, akin to my own blood. You have remembered things well and I was only testing you. Chanyeol, take the cattle, distribute them to families who have lost their sons, husbands or fathers in battle. This is how you truly win the people’s hearts.”

“Chanyeol has learnt another valuable lesson from the Great Khan. On behalf on my father, Im’Run Khan and the families, we thank the Great Khan for the generosity,” Prince Chanyeol said.

The military talk soon turned to a topic that was more light-hearted but of no less importance. One which excited Seungwan.

“My royal children and well as Chanyeol. It is the time of the year again where we hold of annually competition to choose our finest Mongolian warrior. The Emperor of Bae and his princes and princesses will be present. Do not disgrace me if you should participate in the competition.”

The Great Khan glanced longer at his three youngest children, Jongin, Sehun, and Seungwan.

“Heard what father said? Don’t disgrace him, Seungwan,” Sehun poked at his sister’s cheeks as he said.

**

Ensuring that she kept the details of her father’s military strength to herself, Seungwan began narrating to Joohyun and the courtly princes about the upcoming competition that was to be held.

“Competition?! Really?!” Prince Jongdae exclaimed. “Will you be participating then, Princess Seungwan? Or are women not allowed to take part?”

Joohyun, who was beside Seungwan have gone entirely rigid, as if fearing Seungwan’s answer.

Seungwan gave a wry smile at the prince. “I am allowed to take part but I am not going to. My father specifically warned me not to embarrass him.”

Joohyun managed to relax a little but her nervousness was still apparent. “Princess Seungwan, you really would not be participating right?”

Seungwan shook her head. “Our grasslands has too many great warriors who deserves of the title. I shall not even attempt to vie it from them.”

A smile finally emerged on Joohyun’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter