Chapter 19: Of Secret Meetings and Late Nights

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun was playing the zither by the courtyard when Seungwan went to look for her, looking deadbeat. Seulgi looked almost as tired too. Seungwan had told her the day before that she would be riding out into the capital with Seulgi for a shopping trip on her elder sister’s behalf. Joohyun did not buy any of Seungwan’s excuses, not when she had learnt long ago to read the forced smile on the wildling princess’s face which hid things from her.  

Ever since Joohyun was told that Seulgi had martial arts background, Seungwan has been borrowing the palace maid a lot for some reasons. It was not that Joohyun minded but she was genuinely worried about what they, including her royal brothers, were up to. It became really obvious to Joohyun that they were hiding something since Seungwan has also began to train in some form of odd stealth martial arts and with smaller weapons.

“Are you sad, Princess Joohyun? Why are you playing such a tragic melody?” Seungwan asked, her tone as bright as her expression.

Joohyun gave the cheerful sounding wildling princess an ambiguous smile and a small shrug as she continued playing. This prompted Seungwan to do more. Acting nonchalance, Joohyun was actually side-eyeing and taking note of Seungwan’s every move. Holding Joohyun’s hair in place, Seungwan had pulled out a hairpin deftly from her head and replaced it with another. Joohyun stopped playing as she reached for the pin.

Seungwan then put a mirror before Joohyun for her to see. The ornament on the hairpin was exquisite-looking, shaped like a flower and studded with rubies that glittered brilliantly in the evening sun.

“Scarlet dandelion,” Seungwan said as she put her face beside Joohyun’s and observed Joohyun in the mirror as well. “Knew it would look pretty on you.”

Joohyun smiled in spite herself as she over the hairpin. She absolutely loved the hairpin and she was certain that this has become her new favourite gift from Seungwan.

Regardless, Joohyun’s mind returned to how Seungwan has been keeping things from her and spoke snarkily. “Why scarlet of all colours? Because of your horse?”

Seungwan shook her head and with a placating voice, said, “simply because the colour looks pretty on you. I have tried matching several to your skin, scarlet is the most beautiful and outstanding against your milky white skin.

“It will be in my hair though,” Joohyun said with a chuckle.

“Still, scarlet should be your colour,” Seungwan said unflinchingly.

“Yes, whatever Princess Seungwan says. Thank you…” Joohyun said. Despite her sharp words, Joohyun was thoroughly touched and all she wanted to do was to stare at the gift from Seungwan all day long. Instead, Joohyun led Seungwan into her room.

Once they were in, Joohyun stole a kiss from the wildling princess’s lips. They made out for a longer time than usual as Seungwan seemed exceptionally passionate that day. The way Seungwan threaded through her hair with her gentle fingers always made Joohyun felt something more. The elder princess could not help but reach into the wildling princess’s tunic and caress the numerous scars on her young body. Joohyun feared that Seungwan would receive more scars and lament the fact that she could not do anything to stop the wildling princess from gaining them.

After their kiss, Joohyun asked, “what have you been up to recently. Don’t try to avoid the topic this time round, I know you and the princes are cooking up something serious.”

Still, Seungwan stretched and yawned as she made her way towards Joohyun’s bed and collapsed in it. The wildling princess was avoiding the talk again. Joohyun frowned and followed suit, nudging Seungwan harder for an answer.

“I will tell you when the time is ripe,” Seungwan said briefly as she turned over with her back facing Joohyun.

Joohyun pouted, she knew that this was Seungwan’s way of signalling to her to not ask further. Nevertheless, Joohyun still put an arm around Seungwan’s slim waist.

“Make sure you tell me then,” Joohyun whispered into the wildling princess’s ears who hummed in response.

Seungwan then turned herself back and took out Joohyun’s hairpin, smiling as Joohyun’s long silky hair spread itself over the bed. Joohyun smiled too as she held Seungwan’s hand which was holding the hairpin. Feeling sleepy herself, Joohyun took an evening nap with the wildling princess.

 

The two princesses woke up just in time for a feast that night to celebrate the Emperor’s birthday.

Joohyun had dressed herself in a silver and scarlet tunic whilst Seungwan had worn a silver and indigo tunic, intended to match with Joohyun’s outfit. Joohyun spun around playfully, letting the scarlet butterflies along the hem of her tunic flutter as if they were dancing in mid air. The look of enrapture on Seungwan’s face was all she had asked for.

“Pretty.” Seungwan said simply with a crooked smile on her face.

Joohyun teased with a tilt of her head. “Just that?”

Without warning, Seungwan lunged and tugged strongly at Joohyun’s arm and caused her to fall into her waiting arms. “And this,” Seungwan said before she kissed Joohyun on her cheeks.

Tingles spread through the spot where she had been kissed and before long, Joohyun knew she was blushing.  

“You do not need any rouge with this beautiful blush of yours,” Seungwan added and kiss Joohyun on the other side as well.

The tingling sensation spread to the other side as well. “Seungwan, you really need to stop flirting so much.”

“I only do it with you and when we are alone,” Seungwan said cheekily.

Joohyun smiled as she snuggled into Seungwan’s embrace. The couple was later interrupted by a polite nod to their door from Seulgi, reminding them about the Emperor’s birthday banquet. They shared an embarrassed look with one another before regaining their composure. Seungwan refixed the new scarlet dandelion hairpin in Joohyun’s hair as they stepped out of the room.

The Emperor’s birthday banquet was one of the grandest event of every year, almost akin to the Lunar New Year celebration. As they travelled past the imperial kitchen, they saw steam spewing out from the kitchen like a furnace spewing smoke and palace maids hurrying about, carrying gigantic plates of meat, cooked in different styles, braised, steamed, roasted. Sauces were brought out in large urns and soups in large pots. Joohyun heard Seungwan’s stomach growl and she sniggered when she threw an amused look to the wildling princess.

Seungwan rolled her eyes. “Must they make the food look and smell more delicious by the year?”

“Well, can’t blame the chefs for their improving skills right?” Joohyun said. “Let’s proceed forth, I don’t want to be the latest princess.”

Seungwan gave a side nod of her head and they walked, greeting several attending guests.

 

As always, heads turned in their direction when they entered the great feasting hall, most certainly awed by the princesses’ blossoming beauty, both Seungwan and Joohyun. People who passed by them all gave a second glance at the brilliant scarlet hairpin in Joohyun’s hair. Joohyun had often heard remarks about them being a golden pair, two coming-of-age beauty in the palace that everyone beheld their gazes upon. Seungwan, the Mongolian princess had even aroused jealousy amongst the numerous courtly princess. To Joohyun, it was a wonder they questioned the existence of Mongolian’s beauty since Princess Taeyeon was already proof that beauty exists amongst Mongolians and they should not be viewed only as savages who coveted their lands.

Regardless, Seungwan took her place beside her elder sister, Princess Taeyeon, whilst Joohyun stood beside Seungwan. The Eunuch by the Emperor’s side spoke to address the guests and before long, a lion and dragon dance marked the beginning of the ceremony. Joohyun smiled as she felt Seungwan’s steady presence beside her. Joohyun later felt discomfort settling in as the drums and gongs got louder and Seungwan had naturally noticed it, placing her hands over Joohyun’s ears.

Onlookers must only think that the princesses who grew up together have a strong sense of camaraderie but only the two of them know in their own hearts that they were something beyond that.

As the lion and dragon dance performances gave way to the feast, Seungwan was even more gallant, heaping foods that were difficult for Joohyun to reach onto her plate, knowing each and every one of Joohyun’s favourites and dislikes. After the grand meal, the halls were cleared for more elaborate performances and assorted types of wine were served.

Seungwan was finally deemed to be of age to drink along with the rest even though Joohyun knew that the Mongolian princess started drinking way before.    

“As expected, Princess Seungwan is unafraid to drink. The Great Khun’in Khan must be elated to hear that!” The Emperor said suddenly.

Princess Seungwan thanked the Emperor for his praises and gave him a toast, further stoking the Emperor’s joyous mood. Each of the royal children spoke auspicious words and toasted their Father Emperor as well. In return, the Emperor downed a full jar of well-aged nv’er’hong in a single seating. A flush of red appeared across the Emperor’s face.

“Your Majesty, the heavens must have blessed you with the fortune of having all of your royal children strong and healthy as well as having the Great Khan’s children fostered under you to be living in harmony with them,” the Eunuch said slickly.

The Emperor bellowed out in laughter as he first casted a gaze in the direction of Seungwan and Joohyun, giving them wide smiles, then moving along to Princess Taeyeon and Prince Baekhyun.

Princess Taeyeon took this opportunity to smartly recite a few beautiful poems of the gloriousness of Han

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter