Chapter 17: Hidden Truths and Wandering Spirits

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Standing before them was a young maid, fourteen of age, slim of build and with rather sharp and beautiful features. Seulgi was her name and Seungwan thought that it suited her really well. Despite her head constantly hanging low, Seungwan could see a certain quality of intelligence reflected behind the young maid’s canted eyes.

When Seungwan was first introduced to Joohyun’s new young palace maid, Seulgi, she felt a strange sort of connection. It was neither romantic nor of camaraderie, just a certain sense that this palace maid was of the same kind as her. Regardless, Seungwan decided to place her senses aside as she introduced herself to the new palace maid.

“I am Princess Seungwan from Mongolia, living from across your Princess Joohyun’s quarters.”

“I am S-Seulgi. I have entered the palace since the age of twelve,” the palace maid stuttered a little and Seungwan found her rather adorable as well.

However, something felt different about Seulgi as compared with the other palace maids but Seungwan could not put a finger to what exactly the difference was.   

“Hello Seulgi, I first came into this palace even earlier, at the age of ten, as Princess Joohyun’s companion. Do treat Princess Joohyun well, I will be watching,” Seungwan added the last words menacingly and saw the new maid flinch a little.

“Don’t you scare my new maid off. No maids would dare come to my quarters if you do that,” Joohyun said sharply and took Seulgi by her arms.

Seungwan returned a slanted smile and a half shrug to the maid who in turn gave Seungwan a meek smile and a tiny nod of her head before she went to join the rest of the palace maids.

“Princess Joohyun, I am going out with my brothers to view the city, would you like to come along?” Seungwan asked gallantly with an outstretched hand.

Joohyun’s body jerked in surprise. “You are asking me to go along with your brothers?”

“Yea… this is your country but I bet you have not even seen much of your own capital, right? It will be a good excuse for you to see your own capital since you are coming along with my brothers and I. Besides, we are all good at martial arts, so you don’t have to worry about attacks, we will protect you.”

“I am not worried about attacks,” Joohyun said defensively.

Befuddled, Seungwan asked in return, “then why do you look so surprise.”

“Y-You’ve never asked me to accompany you with your royal siblings before.” Joohyun spoke in a very soft tone but Seungwan caught what she said nonetheless.

A low laughter escaped from Seungwan’s lips as she beckoned with her hand again. Joohyun took it slightly hesitantly. “My royal siblings don’t even come to the palace often. Let’s go, I already told them that you would be coming along.”

More surprise was reflected in Joohyun’s eyes but in it, there was joy too. Seungwan took it as a good sign.

 

The Mongolian royal siblings were like what Joohyun had imagined them to be. Harsher with words, fiercer in their actions, and louder when they speak but just as loving and they made Joohyun feel warmer. They had departed from their palace with their Mongolia entourage, their guards intentionally wearing furs and animal skins to distinguish themselves. It was also a message for the rebels to not come close to them. This was the first time in many years that Joohyun had ridden an open carriage but felt utterly safe as she sat alongside Seungwan.

Princess Taeyeon and Adviser Miyoung were in another carriage whilst Prince Jongin and Prince Sehun rode their steeds, keeping pace beside them. The civilians parted way without much hassle for the royal entourage to pass through and Joohyun smiled, sincerely at the civilians. Some of them waved back with happy faces whilst some wore scornful looks. Seungwan gave her a look to remind Joohyun to pay no mind to the unpleasant attitudes.

The princes had big appetites and they halted at almost every food stall to patronise them. Joohyun watched as food were bought in such large bags that it seemed almost impossible to finish and passed amongst the siblings and the royal guards like a big family. Joohyun felt so stuffed with food that she had threatened to vomit if Seungwan had forced to make her eat another lotus paste bun.

“My brothers are big eaters and it is not often they get to try out street food in your capital. They were also too busy cooped up in your palace and building up political connections with your ministers.”

Joohyun nodded understandingly. Almost forgetting that they were in public, Joohyun had wanted to clasp Seungwan’s hand and scolded herself internally for her lack of restrain.

Joohyun had rarely got to appreciate her own capital city of Jing’Yuan, they had entered streets that were bustling with people, with street artists showing off their talents, and with teahouses on either sides of them beckoning their patronage. They had winded down quieter lanes which sold crafts, accessories and other arts. They had crossed the famed bridge built over a river that flows from one city to another and witnessed longtail boats pass under them. Joohyun wondered why were there so many flower decorations along the bridge and they had spied more than dozens of couple spending time along the river banks.

Even though she was boggled, Joohyun was too embarrassed to ask the Mongolian royal siblings about the happenings in her own capital. Later, Joohyun realised that the royal entourage was exploring and they were good explorers, as though they had already mapped out the city of Jing’Yuan before they had set out.

“Are you tired?” Seungwan asked suddenly.

Joohyun was in fact feeling fatigue seeping in but she had wanted to see more, with Seungwan. This was Jing’Yuan, her own capital city, it felt a pity that Joohyun had not properly seen its beauty. Joohyun shook her head.

“I want to go around to see more places.”

Seungwan flashed that lopsided smile of hers again. They were almost near the edge of the city of Jing’Yuan and Joohyun knew because she could see the city walls looming up before them. Then, she caught a glimpse of what she dreaded to see most; beggars and homeless people. They loitered around the city walls, going up to any man that look wealthy enough to be a merchant, for food or to employ them. Prince Jongin and Prince Sehun had ridden up to them.

“Reminds me of the time when we veered into the alley four years ago, except that this time round, it seems less contained,” Prince Sehun said with disgust.

Seungwan shot him a warning glare but Joohyun asked anyway. “What alley?”

Prince Sehun raised a brow. “Princess Joohyun, you do not know? You know… the alley full of people living in rags?”

Enlightenment struck Joohyun. Of course she knew, four years ago, Seungwan and herself had gotten themselves into their greatest quarrel and it all began with the mentioning of that alleyway.

Prince Sehun’s mention of the place has piqued Joohyun’s curiosity.

“I have only heard tales of it but I would most certainly like to see the place in person. Could we go to that mentioned place?”

Prince Sehun smiled widely, showing all his pearly white teeth. “Really, Princess Joohyun? You want to go to that place? Fair warning, it is really not a pretty sight to behold, especially not for a courtly princess like you.”

“Oh, Princess Joohyun has initiated and participated in several relief programs in smaller towns and villages, brother, I am certain she would be able to withstand it,” Seungwan countered fiercely.

Prince Jongin had intervened, “I would advise against going to that alley not because I underestimate Princess Joohyun’s tolerance but because it is dangerous. From what I have gathered, it is where most rebel activities take place at. Children who grew up in the alley tend to take up arms with the rebel group and whatnot, there is too much risk. Princess Joohyun, we cannot have you visit that alley now, not on our guard.”

Joohyun looked to Seungwan and saw her nodding to Prince Jongin’s words. “Brother, we shall not go to that alley then, safety is of utmost importance.”

Prince Sehun cocked a brow. “Talk about safety coming from our Princess Seungwan? Have you really grown up?”

Prince Jongin stifled a laughter but Joohyun could not hold hers in and had to shield her face as she laughed.

“Did we miss something? Why have we stopped for so long?” Princess Taeyeon then called out from their carriage.

“No, sister, you did not miss anything. Okay! Where to next?!” Seungwan shouted as she tried to hide her embarrassment.

They rested at a large teahouse and Joohyun further realised that they would be staying out longer because there would be the Qixi celebration at night. A celebration for couples which would make their large party look odd. However, the siblings were keen to see the fireworks and Joohyun did not regret waiting.

Numerous times, Joohyun has seen fireworks from within the palace, often from her courtyard. but they were not half as spectacular as these ones that were set over the river; with couples milling about the bridge, boats rowing under them, and Seungwan right by her side. Every time the firework shot up and exploded in the night sky like a blooming flower, Joohyun’s body would jerk from fright involuntarily. Seungwan had noticed it right from the beginning and laughed heartily yet not forgetting to offer her comfort as she wound her arm around her waist, discreetly.   

Joohyun knew her cheeks must be flushed red now but fortunately it was at night and no one else would see. Everyone’s attention was on the fireworks but she felt Seungwan’s attention on her and it made her heart feel so warm. It all felt so surreal, it felt as though Joohyun had a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter