Chapter 9

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day just after the bell for the end of the last lesson went, Sungjae went over to Sooyoung and said, “Hey baby girl, do you want to go buy the food for this Saturday’s party? There’s quite a bit to prepare so I thought we’d better get it done early.”

 

Sooyoung could tell from Sungjae’s tone that he was still feeling apologetic about the way he reacted at dinner the previous day, so she replied, “Yeah sure! Let’s go!” with a bright smile.

 

After they reached the supermarket, both of them each took a basket and started looking for what they wanted. Sungjae headed for the fresh produce section and started choosing the cucumbers and tomatoes, before looking at the chickens that the supermarket was selling.

 

“Sungjae, what are you planning to make with those?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Sandwiches. I think the cucumbers and tomatoes would make a refreshing addition to the chicken patty,” replied Sungjae. “I think we can also get fresh fruit and cut them into small pieces to make a fruit platter.”

 

“Are you going to catch some fish by yourself and make fresh kimbap for the kids as well?” asked Sooyoung sarcastically.

 

Sungjae was so focused on choosing the chicken he felt was best out of what was on display that missed the sarcasm and replied, “No, that would be too much trouble. I think they sell fresh fish here too. If not, we can always try the wet market.”

 

Sooyoung smacked Sungjae on the head with her hand and said, “Yah, Yook Sungjae! Didn’t I tell you before? This is a TREAT for the kids! For heaven’s sake, we should indulge them a little. Stop worrying so much about whether it’s healthy or not!”

 

Sungjae looked a little taken aback but smiled as he recalled what had happened when they had come to this very supermarket to buy the food for the first picnic that they brought the kids out for. Sungjae the scar of Minjae’s bite marks on his hand unconsciously, as he replied, “All right, all right. But we can’t possibly just buy only snacks. We don’t want to burden Mrs. Yang with mass stomachaches and fevers after the party.”

 

“All right. You get the fresh food and I’ll get the snacks,” conceded Sooyoung. “We’ll meet back here in 20 minutes.”

 

20 minutes later, they met back at the cashier and paid for everything. The pair decided to bring the whole load back to Sooyoung’s house where Mrs. Park could help with the food preparation for Saturday. The pair reached Sooyoung’s house after lugging all the food they bought for 15 minutes. Mrs. Park saw them from the window and hurried to open the door for them.

 

“Omo, what’s all this? Are you all stocking up in case of a famine?” asked Mrs. Park.

 

“Anni, eomma. This is for the farewell party at the orphanage this Saturday,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Oh I see. And who’s this?” asked Mrs. Park.

 

Sungjae placed the bags on the kitchen counter and introduced himself with a polite bow, “Annyeonghasaeyo. Yook Sungjae-imnida. I’m Sooyoung’s partner for this project at the orphanage.”

 

“Ah I see. Hope my baby girl hasn’t been giving you too many problems. I know how she can be like,” said Mrs. Park with a sly smile.

 

“Eomma~~!” protested Sooyoung.

 

“Oh not at all,” replied Sungjae as he looked at Sooyoung with a huge grin plastered to his face. “Bab- I mean Sooyoung’s been really easy to work with.”

 

“Oh that’s good,” said Mrs. Park with a smile. “Now, do you all need help with any of this?”

 

“That would be great. Maybe you could show us how to make different snacks out of the fresh produce I bought?” requested Sungjae politely. “I don’t think the kids would be too keen on just eating sandwiches.”

 

Sungjae and Mrs. Park struck up an animated conversation on how to prepare different dishes for the party, which eventually led to Mrs. Park leading Sungjae into the kitchen and showing him what he could do. Sooyoung stood by the side, half-peeved that Sungjae and her eomma had ganged up to and half-amused that Sungjae was showing so much interest in getting the food ready for the party.

 

“Sungjae! I’ll go put the chips and drinks in my room and settle the rest of the admin matters for the party!” called Sooyoung.

 

“Yeah okay, I’ll come over once I’m done here,” replied Sungjae.

 

As Sooyoung entered her room, Sungjae turned back to Mrs. Park who was looking at him with a knowing smile.

 

“Yes, Mrs. Park?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Anni~ It’s nothing. Now, back to what I was saying. Did all these ingredients cost you all a lot? Would you like me to chip in to help you offset the cost a little?” asked Mrs. Park.

 

“Oh no, Mrs. Park. It’s fine. We didn’t spend a lot anyway. It’s great being able to spend time with the kids, so I don’t mind spending a little on them once in a while,” replied Sungjae.

 

“I see that you two bought some stuffed toys for the kids as well,” continued Mrs. Park.

 

“Oh yes! They don’t seem to have too many toys to play with at the orphanage. Sooyoung bought one for each of the four kids previously, so I suggested buying the same animal for them so that it would seem like the two of us were constantly with the kids,” rambled Sungjae.

 

“Oh, so you bought Minjae the monkey for them as well?” asked Mrs. Park not-so-innocently.

 

“Oh no no no, I bought Minjae the monkey for Da-” began Sungjae, before realising what he was saying. Sungjae shut his mouth and stared at Mrs. Park in horror, as he knew what she was thinking of now.

 

“So I was right. You’re the one who left the fried chicken, apple juice and stuffed monkey for Sooyoung,” said Mrs. Park amusedly.

 

“I-I-I’m sorry…” stammered Sungjae.

 

“Why are you apologising?” asked Mrs. Park. “If anything, I’m thankful that you nagged at her to eat her dinner more regularly and to make sure that they’re proper meals. I tried for so many weeks with no success. Then you found out and she started eating her meals obediently. How did you do it?”

 

For once, Sungjae was lost for words. He thought he would be getting into trouble for behaving like a stalker but here was Sooyoung’s mother asking him how he had achieved something that apparently even she couldn’t with Sooyoung.

 

“Erm… Well…” mumbled Sungjae, as he turned to the groceries they bought and started washing the cucumbers. I can’t very well say it’s because I pulled her hair, can I?

 

“Oh well, if you don’t feel comfortable telling me, it’s fine,” said Mrs. Park good-naturedly, seeing that Sungjae was feeling uncomfortable. “So… Does my baby girl know that you like her yet?”

 

The cucumber in Sungjae’s hands slipped out of his hands and fell into the sink, as Sungjae turned slowly to look at Mrs. Park, his face flushed redder than when she found out that he was the one who had given Sooyoung Minjae the monkey.

 

“M-Mrs. Park. What are you saying?” asked Sungjae. Why is she asking me all these questions on our first meeting?

 

“Sungjae-ah, I’m old but I’m not blind. In fact, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter