Chapter 13

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung sat by Sungjae’s side in the hospital ward. She had been coming to see Sungjae every day since he was admitted, usually clocking 14-hour days in the hospital before Joohyun or Changsub convinced her to leave. It amazed and worried Joohyun and Changsub how she was able to sit there for hours on end looking at Sungjae, all the while patiently waiting and hoping that Sungjae would show some sign of waking up. She would have conversations with Sungjae, sharing with him all the love that she had for him. Sometimes, she would hold his hand, as she spoke to him. It eventually became a habit for her to rub her fingers over the scar that Minjae had left on his hand. She would smile when she looked at it and recalled the episode that had caused this scar. She had not cried since the day Sungjae was admitted. She had told herself that she was not going to be weak anymore. Sungjae might wake up at any time and she was going to make sure that the baby girl he saw was going to be one who was strong and worthy of his love. She was going to tell him that she wanted to be his baby girl forever. She was going to help him become an even better Yook Sungjae. She refused to be a damsel in distress. From here on, she was going to be a queen fighting by her king’s side.

 

“Mrs. Yang, where is appa?” Sooyoung heard a familiar voice outside the ward and looked up.

 

“He’s here, Minjae-ah,” said Mrs. Yang, as she pushed the door of the ward open and brought Minjae in.

 

“Eomma!” shouted Minjae happily and ran over to hug her.

 

“Omo, Minjae-ah. Why are you here?” exclaimed Sooyoung.

 

“I’m sorry, Sooyoung. He wouldn’t stop insisting that he wanted to see Sungjae, so I had to bring him here,” replied Mrs. Yang apologetically.

 

“It’s okay, Mrs. Yang,” smiled Sooyoung.

 

Minjae walked over to Sungjae side and patted him gently on the shoulder and said, “Appa, Minjae is here to see you. Appa, wake up.” But Sungjae gave no response.

 

Tears threatened to wet Sooyoung’s eyes again but she forced them down determinedly. No more tears!

 

“Minjae-ah! Your appa is sleeping. Don’t disturb him. You promised me that you would behave,” chided Mrs. Yang.

 

“Neh…” replied Minjae apologetically, as he stopped patting Sungjae on the shoulder.

 

“Minjae-ah, your appa probably won’t wake up today. He’s sick now and needs lots of rest. You can sit with him if you want but don’t disturb him. Is that all right?” placated Sooyoung.

 

“Neh~ Minjae will be a good boy today,” replied Minjae with a toothy smile.

 

“Good boy. Your appa and I might not be able to visit you for some time, as your appa needs time to rest. You also can’t be screaming for the both of us all the time. Mrs. Yang will tell me whether you have been a good boy or not,” said Sooyoung in a mock-threatening tone.

 

Minjae smiled and replied, “Neh eomma. Minjae won’t cause any trouble for Mrs. Yang. But can Minjae come and visit with Yoondo and the others some time?”

 

“Of course you can. But you must remember that your appa might not be able to play or talk to you all when you all visit. Is that clear?” said Sooyoung.

 

“Arasso, eomma. I want to sit with appa today,” replied Minjae happily, as he pulled a chair up to Sungjae’s side and sat next to Sungjae.

 

Sooyoung smiled and motioned for Mrs. Yang to step out of the ward with her. Once outside, Mrs. Yang asked, “Sooyoung-ah, Changsub told me everything. Has Sungjae shown any response?”

 

“Not yet,” replied Sooyoung sadly. “The doctors can’t confirm when he’ll wake up, if he ever wakes up at all. But I’m sure he will. Oppa won’t go down that easily.”

 

“What about you, Sooyoung?” asked Mrs. Yang. “It looks to me like you haven’t been eating or resting well. And look at those panda eyes of yours. Don’t tire yourself out just to stay by Sungjae’s side. I’m sure when Sungjae wakes up it would break his heart to see you in this state.”

 

Mrs. Yang’s words cut through Sooyoung more than she knew. “Funny you should mention that, Mrs. Yang. I broke Sungjae’s heart just before he became like this. It’s really my fault that he’s in this state now,” said Sooyoung.

 

“What makes you say that, dear?” asked Mrs. Yang. “How could him being in a coma ever be your fault? And what’s this about you breaking his heart?”

 

“Sungjae confessed his feelings to me a week before his brain aneurysm ruptured. I rejected him because I thought Yeri still had feelings for him,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Does she? I always thought she would be with Youngmin, given how they always squabble like an old couple,” replied Mrs. Yang in surprise.

 

Despite herself, Sooyoung chuckled and replied, “I know right. Yeri kept it very quiet. But she told me that she’s already given up on Sungjae and wanted me to accept Sungjae.”

 

“You love Sungjae, Sooyoung-ah,” said Mrs. Yang. It wasn’t a question. “I can tell.”

 

Sooyoung looked down at her shoes and replied, “Yes, I do. That’s why I can’t forgive myself for causing Sungjae to be in this state now. I accepted Dohwan’s confession to me just to convince Sungjae that I didn’t love him, so that Yeri would have a chance. I’m such a fool, Mrs. Yang. In the end, he entered this state believing that I don’t love him. By the time I figured out my own feelings, it was too late.”

 

“You didn’t cause him to be in this state, Sooyoung. How could any of us have known that Sungjae had a brain aneurysm? Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for the both of you. And it definitely isn’t too late. If you feel that you have let Sungjae down, now is the time to make it up to him. And the best way to make it up to him now is to take good care of yourself. Have you looked in the mirror recently, Sooyoung? How is torturing yourself like this going to make things any better? Have you been eating regularly?” asked Mrs. Yang.

 

Sooyoung smiled at the familiar question and replied, “Sungjae used to check on me all the time to make sure I was eating regular and proper meals. But you’re right, I haven’t been eating or sleeping well since he was admitted.”

 

“Promise me you’ll take care of yourself, Sooyoung. If not for yourself, then for Sungjae, for Minjae and the other kids. I think Minjae won’t be able to take it if his eomma falls sick as well,” coaxed Mrs. Yang.

 

“That reminds me, Mrs. Yang. Please don’t ever tell Minjae that Sungjae is in a coma. Just let him think that Sungjae is resting,” urged Sooyoung.

 

“You don’t have to tell me that. I can’t imagine what would happen if Minjae ever found out,” replied Mrs. Yang, as she kept a sharp eye on the ward door, in case Minjae came out suddenly.

 

Sooyoung and Mrs. Yang ended their conversation and went back into the ward. Minjae was still sitting beside his appa, chattering away brightly about his day and recent happenings. Mrs. Yang saw him and called out, “Minjae-ah. Didn't I tell you not to disturb your appa?

 

“Anni, Mrs. Yang. I’m not disturbing. I’m just sharing with appa what happened recently. It’s okay if he’s not awake. I just want to tell him,” replied Minjae.

 

Sooyoung smiled and said,” Arasso, Minjae-ah. Now, it’s time for you and Mrs. Yang to go home. You can come and see your appa another day.”

 

“Arasso, eomma. Anniyo, appa,” said Minjae, as he reached up to kiss Sungjae on his cheek before walking out of the ward.

 

 

White mist swirled around Sungjae. For some reason, it calmed him. He looked down and saw that he was clothed in a white robe but had no footwear. He started to walk, though in which direction, he had no idea. He felt a calmness that he had not experienced in a long time. His head did not hurt, his vision was clear and his heart was steady.

 

Am I dead? Is this what death is? The last thing I remember was my blinding headache before everything went black.

 

Sungjae continued to walk. His feet did not ache nor did he feel any form of fatigue. How long he walked, he did not know. After what felt like an eternity, he suddenly wished for a place to sit. As he took a few more steps, a park bench materialised from behind the mist and he sat down.

 

“Sungjae-ah,” a familiar voice called from behind him. Sungjae turned and saw Mr. Kim.

 

“Oh, seonsaeng-nim,” Sungjae hurried to stand and bowed. “Why are you here?”

 

“I’m not really here. But I’m here to guide you,” replied Mr. Kim.

 

“What do you mean, seonsaeng-nim?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Are you enjoying your stay here so far?” asked Mr. Kim, as he sat down on the park bench and beckoned for Sungjae to do the same.

 

“Well…” Sungjae sat next to Mr. Kim and thought for a while before continuing. “I guess so. I’ve never felt so at peace with myself. I feel no pain, no hunger, no fatigue and no distress.”

 

“Feels good, doesn’t it?” asked Mr. Kim. “What else have you noticed?”

 

“Nothing much. Just a lot of white mist and the fact that I don’t feel anything negative,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Is that all?” continued Mr. Kim.

 

“What do you mean?” asked Sungjae.

 

“You don’t feel anything negative? What else?” probed Mr. Kim.

 

“I don’t feel… I don’t feel… That’s it! I don’t feel!” replied Sungjae in a rush of realisation.

 

Mr. Kim smiled. “Technically, that answer is incomplete. But you’ll find out the full answer later. You have the chance to choose, Sungjae-ah. You’re lucky. Not many people do.”

 

“What do you mean, Mr. Kim?” asked Sungjae.

 

“When people come here, they follow the light. But for you, you’ve been wandering here for some time, haven’t you?” asked Mr. Kim. “And everywhere looks the same, no matter where you walk.”

 

“Yes, it does. What does that mean, seonsaeng-nim?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Why don’t you tell me? How did you make this park bench appear?” asked Mr. Kim.

 

“I was walking and suddenly felt like sitting down,” began Sung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter