Chapter 8

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sungjae-ah, are you free now? I’m so sorry to call you so late on a Friday night but I need your help!” said Mrs. Yang.

 

Sungjae had just completed his Math homework when he received the call from Mrs. Yang asking for his help.

 

“What’s the matter, Mrs. Yang?” asked Sungjae.

 

“It’s Minjae. He’s having a high fever now and crying because he’s feeling so uncomfortable,” said Mrs. Yang. “It’s not a tantrum but he won’t stop crying no matter what I try. I’m at my wits’ end. Do you think you could come down and help me take care of him?”

 

“Of course, Mrs. Yang. I’ll come over right now,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Thank you, Sungjae-ah,” said Mrs. Yang gratefully, as she hung up the phone.

 

Sungjae tried calling Sooyoung but it seemed like Sooyoung had already turned in for the night. Sungjae changed his clothes quickly and took a taxi down to the orphanage. As he walked into the orphanage, Mrs. Yang came running out to meet him.

 

“Thank you so much for coming so quickly. Minjae has been fussing for nearly an hour,” said Mrs. Yang in a distressed voice.

 

“Do you think we need to bring him to a hospital?” asked Sungjae, as he followed Mrs. Yang into the room where Minjae slept with a few other boys.

 

“I think the fever should go down in a while if we keep sponging him, since he’s already taken the medicine. It worked before so I’m quite confident of that. I just can’t get him to settle down and rest because he kept crying for you and Sooyoung,” explained Mrs. Yang.

 

“I see. Well, Sooyoung can’t be reached on her phone, so I think she’s gone to bed. I’ll take care of Minjae tonight,” offered Sungjae.

 

“You don’t have to stay the whole night, Sungjae-ah. I think you can leave once Minjae goes to sleep,” said Mrs. Yang.

 

“Kwenchanayo, Mrs. Yang. He might get fussy again at night if he wakes up,” said Sungjae.

 

“If you insist on staying the night, then I’ll get you a new toothbrush. You can go back in the morning,” said Mrs. Yang.

 

“But tomorrow’s Saturday. Sooyoung and I are supposed to be here for our planned activities,” protested Sungjae.

 

“You can’t possibly stay for two days, silly boy. It’ll tire you out,” chided Mrs. Yang.

 

“Don't worry about that, Mrs. Yang. I promise I’ll leave early if I feel too tired. But Sooyoung will need me around. She can’t possibly tend to four kids on her own for the whole day. Please don’t fight me on this, Mrs. Yang. Minjae needs me now,” insisted Sungjae.

 

Mrs. Yang looked worried but conceded in the end, as she led the way to the room that Minjae was sleeping in that night. Mrs. Yang had moved him out of his usual room as he was disturbing the other children with his fussing. Minjae was tossing and turning in bed as Sungjae and Mrs. Yang walked in. Minjae sat up in bed and shouted, “Appa!”

 

Sungjae ran over to hush him and sat next to him in bed. “Shhhhhh! Minjae-ah, you can’t shout like that at night. Your other friends are trying to sleep!” said Sungjae in a soft but stern voice.

 

“Appa… I’m feeling so uncomfortable,” whined Minjae.

 

“Arasso, arasso. That’s why I’m here. Now be a good boy and settle into bed,” coaxed Sungjae.

 

“Is eomma here too?” asked Minjae.

 

“Your eomma is already asleep. She’ll need her rest if you want her to play with you tomorrow. You’ll also need your rest, otherwise you won’t be able to play with her tomorrow,” warned Sungjae.

 

“But I’m feeling so warm and I can’t sleep, appa,” whined Minjae. “Can you sleep with me tonight to keep me company?”

 

“Arasso. Now be a good boy and go to sleep,” instructed Sungjae firmly, as he squeezed out a wet towel to place over Minjae’s forehead, before doing the same for Minjae’s neck.

 

Minjae laid down obediently and snuggled up next to Sungjae with his eyes closed and a blissful smile stretched across his face. Sungjae smiled and softly Minjae’s back to coax him to sleep. After a few minutes, Sungjae pulled off the two towels and replaced them after soaking them in cold water and squeezing them out.

 

“My appa used to tuck me into bed every night. Now that you’re here, it really feels like I have my appa with me again,” said Minjae in a sleepy voice. “I hope you and Sooyoung-noona will become my real appa and eomma one day.”

 

Sungjae smiled and blushed slightly, before replying, “Neh, that would be nice, wouldn't it?”

 

 

Sooyoung headed down the street that led to the orphanage. As she walked through the main gate, she looked around.

 

Where is he? It’s not like him to be late.

 

Just as Sooyoung took out her phone to call Sungjae, Mrs. Yang stepped out of her office and hurried towards her.

 

“Sooyoung-ah!” called Mrs. Yang.

 

“Oh, Mrs. Yang! Have you seen Sungjae-oppa?” asked Sooyoung. “It’s not like him to be late.”

 

“He’s already here,” replied Mrs. Yang with a smile.

 

“Mwoh? I know he’s always punctual, but it’s not like him to start without me. I received a missed call from him last night but he didn't answer when I tried to call him this morning,” said Sooyoung.

 

“You’ll see why in a minute,” replied Mrs. Yang, as she led Sooyoung to the room where Minjae slept the previous night.

 

As they stepped into the room, Sooyoung gave a slight start of surprise when she saw Minjae sleeping in the room, as this was not his usual bedroom. What surprised her more was Sungjae sleeping on the seat next to Minjae.

 

“What happened, Mrs. Yang? Why are they here?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Minjae came down with a fever last night and wouldn't stop fussing. I tried calling Sungjae and he came down immediately. That missed call from him must have been because he tried to contact you regarding Minjae, though I suppose you had already gone to bed by then. Minjae only quietened down when Sungjae came and tended to him,” explained Mrs. Yang.

 

“Omo! So is Minjae feeling all right now?” asked Sooyoung worriedly.

 

“I think so. He usually fusses when he has a fever but he slept like a baby after Sungjae came last night. I didn't wake either of them because I’m sure both of them slept late last night,” replied Mrs. Yang.

 

“Does oppa need his toothbrush and a change of clothes? Shall I go help him get it?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I’ve already asked Changsub to bring those for him. I’ve left them in the small bathroom that is seldom used by the kids. What would Sungjae’s mother think if you went to ask for those things?” said Mrs. Yang with a teasing smile.

 

Sooyoung blushed and stared at the floor for a while.

 

“Anyway, I’ll leave them to you. If Sungjae is too tired, you’ll have to handle your kids alone today. Or if that’s too overwhelming, you can come back next week,” said Mrs. Yang understandingly.

 

“Don’t worry, Mrs. Yang. We’ll manage,” replied Sooyoung.

 

Mrs. Yang smiled and went back to her office, as Sooyoung stepped into the room and tapped Sungjae lightly on the shoulder. Sungjae fidgeted a little but did not wake up. Sooyoung giggled and tapped him a little harder.

 

“Oppa, wake up,” said Sooyoung softly, trying to wake Sungjae up without waking up Minjae as well.

 

Sungjae gave a slight start and opened his eyes.

 

“Omo! Sooyoung-ah! Why are you here?” asked Sungjae, trying to break past his sleepiness as he saw Sooyoung standing in front of him.

 

“It’s already morning, oppa. Changsub-oppa brought your toothbrush, a towel and a change of clothes for you. Go brush your teeth and shower. I’ll take over Minjae from here,” said Sooyoung. “How is he feeling now?”

 

“I think his fever has gone down. Do you want me to get him ready instead? We’ve got Yoondo and the girls to think of,” said Sungjae.

 

“They’ve been perfectly capable of getting ready on their own for the past few months, oppa. Now, go wash up!” instructed Sooyoung firmly.

 

“But –” began Sungjae, only to be cut off as Sooyoung reached up and pulled Sungjae’s ear, causing him to yelp in pain.

 

“Yook Sungjae-ssi, please don't be stubborn. If you can’t behave like how a sunbae should, then I will have to start treating you like you’re Minjae’s age,” said Sooyoung warningly.

 

“Arasso, arasso!” replied Sungjae hurriedly, pushing Sooyoung’s hand away as he did so. “Aish~ you sound as if you’re my g–”

 

Sungjae caught himself before he finished his sentence. But alas, Sooyoung had heard it.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter