Chapter 5

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung walked into class on Monday with a nagging sense of apprehension and worry, as she thought about what Sungjae had said the other night. She could barely pay attention in class and didn't even hear Yeri calling out to her as she walked out of school at the end of the day.

 

“Unnie! This is the third time I’m calling you!” screamed Yeri.

 

Sooyoung shook herself out of her thoughts and turned to look at Yeri.

 

“Ah, mianhe,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“What are you thinking so deeply about, unnie?” asked Yeri.

 

“Nothing…” said Sooyoung.

 

“Then what made you so preoccupied with your thoughts?” asked Yeri.

 

“Sungjae-oppa said he would turn me into a joke today for pressing on his wound. I’ve just been worried about what he’s going to do,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Oh… well then stop worrying. Seulgi-unnie asked me to go try out the new fried chicken store that just opened down the street. Want to come along? It’s your favourite!” said Yeri.

 

“Anni, I think I’ll just head home,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Arasso. I’ll wait for Seulgi-unnie then. See you tomorrow then, unnie,” replied Yeri.

 

As Sooyoung walked out of school, Sungjae jumped out from behind the bush that he was hiding in and shouted, “PARK SOOYOUNG!”

 

Sooyoung screamed and nearly fell over, before catching herself in time. “Oppa! Is this your idea of turning me into a joke?”

 

“Not really,” replied Sungjae. “Though based on what I saw just now, you certainly seemed to look like one.”

 

“Oppa!” replied Sooyoung with a pout. “So what was all this about turning me into a joke?”

 

“You’ve been a joke the whole day, haven’t you realised?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Mwoh? Did you stick something on my back or something?” asked Sooyoung incredulously, as she tried looking over her back.

 

“You’ve been worrying about how I was going to turn you into a joke for the whole day, haven’t you?” asked Sungjae with a chortle. “I think that’s being a big enough joke by my standards.”

 

“Yah! Yook Sungjae!” shouted Sooyoung, as she rushed towards him to smack him. Sungjae’s reflexes helped him dodge out of the way and catch hold of Sooyoung’s raised arm.

 

“Yah, Park Sooyoung! Is this how you talk to a sunbae?” asked Sungjae.

 

Sooyoung stuck her tongue out at him and stepped as hard as she could on his foot, causing him to yelp in pain and let go of Sooyoung’s arm.

 

“YAH! Park Sooyoung!” shouted Sungjae, as he gripped his foot and hopped around on one leg.

 

Sooyoung giggled and ran off down the road, as she shouted, “I’ll see you on Wednesday afternoon to discuss what we’re going to do on Saturday, oppa!”

 

Sungjae watched her run off with a peeved expression, before it slowly relaxed into a smile of resignation.

 

 

Sooyoung and Sungjae met on Wednesday afternoon as promised to discuss their plans for that Saturday. As they talked, Sungjae suddenly noticed the faint dark circles around Sooyoung’s eyes.

 

“Hey Sooyoung, have you been getting enough sleep recently?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Why do you ask?” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Because you’re starting to look like a panda,” teased Sungjae. “And I noticed you’ve been looking lethargic in class. Have you been getting enough rest and eating enough?”

 

“Yah, that’s my personal life, oppa. Who are you to check on me?” retorted Sooyoung in secret amusement, as she turned away from him. To her surprise, she felt a sharp tug on the side of her head, as Sungjae grabbed a handful of her hair and pulled her closer towards him.

 

“Park Sooyoung! Your health is not to be joked around with. If you fall sick, the kids at the orphanage are going to be worried, Mrs. Yang is going to be worried and I’m going to be worried!” said Sungjae sternly. “Now tell me, how much sleep have you been getting and have you been having regular meals?”

 

Sooyoung was about to push Sungjae away when she saw the expression on his face and knew that he meant business.

 

“Well… I’ve been sleeping about f-four hours a night,” replied Sooyoung stammeringly.

 

“4 hours a night? No wonder you’re getting dark circles!” exclaimed Sungjae. “And what about your meals?

 

“Well… It’s not really importa- AHHHHH!!!” Sooyoung yelped as Sungjae gave her hair another sharp tug.

 

“On the contrary, it is very important. Now tell me, have you been having your meals regularly and have they been proper meals?” demanded Sungjae.

 

“Ok, ok, I’ll tell you. But can you let go of my hair first? I’m starting to get a muscle cramp in my side,” complained Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae let go of her hair reluctantly and allowed Sooyoung to straighten up.

 

“So?” Sungjae was not going to let this go easily.

 

“I-I sometimes skip lunch,” stammered Sooyoung.

 

“And?” said Sungjae expectantly.

 

“You think there’s more?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Yes, I can tell that there’s more. Now spill!” demanded Sungjae.

 

“I sometimes just settle for instant noodles for dinner or just d-drink a packet of s-soy milk,” stammered Sooyoung.

 

“How long has this been going on for?” asked Sungjae.

 

“About a month after we started working for our project at the orphanage,” replied Sooyoung with her eyes down. “I can’t help it. I think of the kids we’re in charge of and I can’t help but want to do everything I can for them! Especially since Minjae is st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter