Chapter 1

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae drummed his fingers listlessly on his table as Mr. Kim droned on in the lesson. As it was nearing the end of the lesson, Sungjae had already lost all mood to concentrate. His seat next to the window allowed him to overlook the field and glance down at the classrooms on the second floor. A girl sitting next to the window always caught his eye, regardless of whether she was listening to the teacher or falling asleep because the lesson was boring.

 

“All right, class! I have an important announcement to make!” barked Mr. Kim suddenly near the end of the lesson, shaking Sungjae out of his reverie. “For our community outreach project this semester, we will be working with Sunflower Orphanage. It’s located just two streets away from our school, so it should be no problem for all of you.”

 

“Are we working as a whole class, Mr. Kim?” asked Sanghyuk.

 

“Anni, you will be working in pairs but with another class,” replied Mr. Kim, which was followed immediately by a collective groan.

 

“Aw man, seonsaeng-nim! Can’t we just work with our friends in class?” whined Youngmin.

 

“Andwae! We need to pair up with another class because we need to work as a boy-girl pair and the number of boys and girls in each class is different. This is necessary because you will be interacting with both boys and girls in the orphanage,” replied Mr. Kim firmly. “And stop complaining, Youngmin. If anything, I pity the female student who is going to work with you.”

 

The class laughed at Mr. Kim’s burn, as Mr. Kim continued with his announcement. “We still have about ten more minutes to the end of this lesson. I have already made arrangements with Ms. Lee, the homeroom teacher of class 1–2. Both classes will now head over to the gymnasium, where we will draw lots to see who we will be working with.”

 

With much grumbling and muttering under their breath, Sungjae’s class filed out of their class and walked over to the gymnasium. Sungjae was annoyed to find that he was actually feeling nervous. Sungjae had difficulty warming up to people, and people meeting him for the first time usually felt that he was a cold and detached person. However, once he warmed up and grew attached to people, he would become a bubbly and crazy person around them. One of his older friends in his clique, Lee Changsub, had first-hand experience of this trait.

 

While lost in his thoughts, the class had reached the gymnasium. The boys and girls in his class separated and formed two rows in front of Mr. Kim. As he was still daydreaming, Sungjae had to take the last spot in line. Class 1–2 had already formed up next to them.

 

“All right, class 2–5! Everyone will come up and draw a card from the box in front of your line. The name on the front of the card that you draw will be the person from class 1–2 whom you will be working with and the names on the back are the names of the children whom you will be taking care of for this project,” instructed Mr. Kim.

 

Sungjae stepped up to the box after everyone in front of him had gone and picked out the last card inside it.

 

Park Sooyoung

 

Sungjae scratched his head awkwardly, as he had no idea who this girl was. He walked up to Ms. Lee, the homeroom teacher of class 1–2 and asked, “Erm, excuse me, Ms. Lee. May I know who is Park Sooyoung-ssi?”

 

“Sooyoung is the girl standing at the back with the red watch,” replied Ms. Lee, as she pointed at Park Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae turned and saw the girl that Ms. Lee was referring to. To his surprise, he realised the girl that Ms. Lee was referring to was the girl who sat next to the window in the classroom on the lower floor which he could see from his seat. He walked slowly up to her and was about to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter