Chapter 2

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wednesday afternoon seemed to come in no time and Sooyoung found herself looking at her watch every so often after lunch time. At 1.50 pm, Sooyoung hurried out of the school gate and walked towards the café that she and Sungjae had agreed to meet at. To her surprise, she saw Sungjae already standing outside the café and hurried over to him.

 

“Mianheyo, sunbae-nim. Have you been waiting for long?” asked Sooyoung anxiously.

 

“Anni. I’m just early that’s all. Let’s go,” replied Sungjae, as he turned to enter the café with Sooyoung.

 

After they were seated, they ordered drinks and started discussing their project. To Sungjae’s surprise, Sooyoung pulled out a file and started showing and rambling about the plans that she had made.

 

“I was initially thinking that we could maybe first do some simple activities like drawing and playing simple games with them. Then once we get to know them better, we could probably bring them for a picnic or to the zoo…” Sooyoung ranted excitedly for a few minutes.

 

Sungjae watched and listened in silent amusement, impressed at the effort that Sooyoung had devoted to the project. After a few minutes, Sooyoung noticed how Sungjae was looking at her and stopped abruptly.

 

“Ah, mianheyo, sunbae-nim. I shouldn't have rambled on like that,” apologised Sooyoung. “Did you want to say something?”

 

“Anni, kwenchanayo,” replied Sungjae. “I just feel sorry that I didn't bring anything to contribute today. I thought we would be working out the plan for the kids today.”

 

“Ah jinjja mianheyo, sunbae-nim! I… I didn't think about that. I got overexcited and…” Sooyoung started apologising profusely.

 

“Kwenchanayo, Sooyoung-ssi,” said Sungjae. Sungjae hesitated a little before he continued, “Are you very afraid of me, Sooyoung-ssi? You seem very nervous when you talk to me.”

 

“Anni… anniyo,” replied Sooyoung, while looking at her feet.

 

“It’s okay to tell me the truth, Sooyoung-ssi. I promise I won’t get angry with you,” said Sungjae in the kindest tone he could manage.

 

“I… You… You looked rather cold when you introduced yourself the other day and… and you didn’t look too pleased after I rattled on for so long about the project and… and… and… I’m worried that we won’t be able to work well together if we can’t get along… then we won’t be able to do our best for the children we’re taking care of,” mumbled Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae took a moment to take all this in, before he smiled.

 

“Mianheyo, Sooyoung-ssi. A lot of my friends have told me that I look cold when I interact with someone I don't know well and I’ve also been more aware of it, though I didn't know that it would have such a great effect on you,” explained Sungjae. “Please don't think that we won’t get along. I know we haven’t known each other for long but I’m sure we’ll be able to work together.”

 

Sooyoung looked up at Sungjae timidly and saw the sincerity and warmth in his eyes. Her heart warmed a little and she said, “Gomawoyo, sunbae-nim. I’ll do my best for this project.”

 

“Let’s do our best together,” replied Sungjae with a smile. “And let’s stop being so formal with each other. You can call me oppa. Is it all right with you if I just call you Sooyoung-ah?”

 

“Of course, oppa,” said Sooyoung with a smile.

 

“All right then. Thanks to you, I think we have enough when we go to the orphanage this Saturday. We shan’t need much more planning than this. I’ll type it out properly and give this to Mr. Kim,” said Sungjae.

 

“But oppa, wouldn't that be you doing all the work? I can take half of the report so that you won’t have to do everything,” protested Sooyoung.

 

“Anni, this is my fair share. I think you’ve done more than your fair share by coming up with all these ideas. Don't make me a freeloader,” teased Sungjae.

 

“Arassoyo, oppa,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“I said we can drop the formalities with each other. I would like us to have a friendly relationship, especially since we’re going to be working with children. I don't think they'll be able to play comfortably with us if we keep being formal with each other,” said Sungjae firmly.

 

Sooyoung laughed and said, “Arasso, oppa.”

 

Saturday came round soon and the students from Sungjae and Sooyoung’s classes were gathered outside the main gate of Sunflower Orphanage. Mr. Kim was waiting with them, as they saw a woman in her fifties walk out of her office towards the main gate.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo! Aigoo, you all must be the angels that my kids are going to be playing with for the next few months!” exclaimed the woman.

 

“Hi Mrs. Yang, I’m Mr. Kim, the teacher in charge for this class,” said Mr. Kim, as he shook Mrs. Yang’s hand.

 

“Welcome! Please do come in. Leave your shoes on the shoe rack and take a seat in the guest waiting room. It’s next to the main admin office on your right,” said Mrs. Yang.

 

After they had finished with the formalities and a general briefing, the groups split up to be introduced to the children whom they would be taking care of for the next few months. Sungjae and Sooyoung were brought to a group of three children who were waiting eagerly to meet their new hyung and noona.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Sooyoung,” said Sooyoung to the kids with a smile.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Sungjae,” followed Sungjae, as he dug into his pocket for the list of names of the children that had been assigned to them.

 

“Could you tell us your names?” said Sooyoung.

 

“I’m Yoondo,” said the boy.

 

“I’m Yura,” replied the girl with braids.

 

“I’m Eunbi,” said the girl with short hair.

 

“Aren’t there supposed to be four children?” asked Sungjae. “There’s a ‘Park Minjae’ on our list.”

 

The three children started looking a little uncomf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter