Chapter 15

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae bawled and cried into Changsub’s shoulder for nearly an hour in the ward. Changsub didn’t mind. If anything, he was thankful and relieved that his best friend had finally stopped bottling up his feelings. Changsub could not and did not say anything but just let Sungjae cry until his tears ran dry. When Sungjae finally exhausted himself with all the crying, Changsub helped him back on the bed where Sungjae slept off his fatigue.

 

“Did he say anything?” asked Joohyun, as she watched Sungjae sleep.

 

“No,” replied Changsub. “I didn’t want to push him to say anything either. Him crying it out is the first step. I think we can try talking to him about Sooyoung from now on without him clamming up.”

 

“I certainly hope so. We really need to find out the real reason why he’s treating her like that. I really don’t believe it’s because she rejected him,” said Joohyun.

 

“Well, I guess we’ll find out soon,” commented Changsub.

 

“But I’m really amazed by that Park Minjae. He didn’t even flinch when Sungjae shouted at him,” said Joohyun in awe.

 

“I know right. Let’s hope Sungjae will say what he’s really thinking now,” said Changsub.

 

 

Sungjae woke up with a splitting headache, though this time he was certain it was due to his dehydration from all his tears. He saw Changsub dozing off next to him and called him, “Yah, Changsub-hyung. You’re going to twist your neck soon.”

 

Changsub awoke with a start and looked at him. “Oh, you’re awake. How are you feeling?”

 

“My head’s splitting apart after all that crying. Can you get me some water?” requested Sungjae.

 

Changsub reached out for the small tumbler on the bedside table and poured out a glass of water for Sungjae. As he passed it to Sungjae, Changsub asked, “So will you now finally tell me why you’ve been treating Sooyoung this way?”

 

Sungjae took another gulp of water before looking at Changsub and saying, “Before I say anything, can you tell me what made Minjae say all those things to me?”

 

“It was Mrs. Yang’s idea. Joohyun and I were worried that you were never going to tear down your wall regarding Sooyoung. So we went to her for advice and she suggested asking Minjae to talk to you because you seem to have no resistance against him,” replied Changsub with a grin.

 

“Yah! How could you guys do that? What if he had a meltdown or threw a tantrum again?” said Sungjae half in worry and half in anger.

 

“We were initially worried about that but Minjae was remarkably loving and brave. In fact, from what we could see outside, he didn’t even bat an eyelid. Maybe you should adopt him, given how attached he is to you and Sooyoung,” said Changsub half-jokingly.

 

Sungjae’s heart clenched at the mention of Sooyoung’s name but this time round he did not clam up. He knew that Changsub was concerned about his attitude towards Sooyoung and, thanks to Minjae, he felt that he was finally ready to face the issue.

 

“Even if I adopt him, he wouldn’t be happy without his eomma,” replied Sungjae.

 

“So why are you pushing his eomma away?” asked Changsub.

 

Sungjae stared into space for a long while. “I…” began Sungjae, as he held the cup of water to his lips again. But, to his surprise, Changsub reached out and took the cup from him.

 

“No, you’re not drinking anything until you tell me everything that you’ve been bottling up,” stated Changsub. “I know once you drink something, you’ll swallow whatever you want to say along with the water.”

 

Sungjae did not protest but continued staring blankly ahead. Changsub knew not to break the silence, as Sungjae’s walls regarding his feelings towards Sooyoung had clearly collapsed and he would make progress today.

 

“I still love my baby girl,” said Sungjae quaveringly. “So much.”

 

Changsub made no response but continued to look at him.

 

“But when she was around me after I woke up, all I felt from her was pity and regret. I really don’t want her pity and regret, Changsub-ah. I don’t want her to love me because she pities me or feels regretful because she thinks that she somehow caused my brain aneurysm to rupture. I don’t want that kind of love, Changsub,” said Sungjae.

 

“How can you be sure it was just pity and regret? Pity and regret doesn’t drive people to stay by your bedside for 14 hours a day, talking and looking at you, hoping without faltering for a single second for you to wake up. Love does. She loves you so much, Sungjae-ah. The kind of tears one sheds when a person feels pity is totally different from the kind of tears shed when one feels love. A person feeling pity could never cry the way she did outside the operation theatre that day. I know she did you wrong when she tried to push you away for Yeri’s sake. But the way I see it, she’s more than made up for it. She’s realised her mistake, Sungjae-ah. Stop being stubborn and stop pushing her away. Give her the happiness she deserves,” ranted Changsub.

 

“How can I give her the happiness she deserves? I can’t even walk! It’s better for me to drive her away. I’d rather she hate me and eventually forget about me. She doesn’t need me to burden her in her life. Hyung, can you help me convince her not to break up with Dohwan? Or ask Joohyun to help convince her. If he loves her, I’m sure she will grow to accept and love him too. I never should have confessed to her,” ranted Sungjae.

 

“Yook Sungjae, if you weren’t a patient I would punch the living daylights out of you this very moment!” said Changsub, trying to control his anger as he clenched his fists. “You actually thought Sooyoung can just hate you and leave your life? You honestly thought it would be that simple? Do you have ANY idea what you’ve put her through since you had that conversation with her? You claim that you don’t want to be a burden on her. What makes you think that you’re a burden to Sooyoung? Did you honestly think that by pushing her away, you’re setting her free?”

 

Sungjae listened to Changsub rant in silence. He didn’t even know what he was feeling. Guilt? Anger? Sadness? Pain? A mixture of all?

 

“She’s better off without me, hyung,” repeated Sungjae stubbornly.

 

Changsub couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “She’s like a living corpse now, Sungjae. Ever since that conversation you had with her, she hasn’t been living. She’s merely been existing. Her mother, Joohyun and I are all worried sick that she might sink into depression. She ran home that day after that conversation and has been locking herself in her room since. Nobody can get her to talk. I never thought I’d hear myself saying this but she’s apparently even more stubborn than you are. Can’t you see how much you mean to her, Sungjae?” asked Changsub in frustration. “Even if you don’t care about her, spare a thought for Minjae! How do you think he’s going to feel when he sees Sooyoung in that state?”

 

“I’m sure Minjae will make her see sense,” said Sungjae feebly.

 

“So you’re going to let a 6-year old do your dirty work for you?” asked Changsub disbelievingly.

 

“Anni~” protested Sungjae.

 

“Even if Minjae could get Sooyoung to open up, you know you still hold the key to her emotional recovery, Yook Sungjae. Stop trying to deny it. Bring out that love you have for her and help her get back on her feet. I don’t know why you guys like causing such pain to yourselves and to each other. She rejected you but tried to make up for it when you were in a coma. Now’s your turn to repair the damage you’ve caused her,” ranted Changsub, as he fished a ball of paper out of his pocket. “This is the poem that you wrote for Sooyoung. I saw it on the floor and figured you might regret it if it really got thrown away. I’ll leave this with you. You decide on what you should do with it.”

 

Changsub stuffed the paper ball into Sungjae’s right hand and walked out of the ward. Sungjae held up the paper ball and tried to smooth it out with one hand. Although the words were his own, they still wrenched at his heart. Guilt coursed through him as he recalled the words he had used on Sooyoung in their last conversation and what Changsub had just told him.

 

Look at the amount of pain you’ve caused her. If you really love her, then make it up to her!

 

 

Joohyun, Changsub, Mrs. Yang and Minjae found themselves outside of Sooyoung’s house on the following Saturday morning, all of them feeling apprehensive. Sungjae had been functional before Minjae tried making Sungjae open up about his feelings. But they were worried about how Sooyoung would react, if she would react at all. Sooyoung had pretty much shut down after that fateful conversation with Sungjae. Changsub knocked tentatively and waited. Mrs. Park answered the door a few moments later and looked slightly surprised.

 

“Omo! What are you all doing here?” asked Mrs. Park.

 

“So sorry to disturb you, Mrs. Park. But we brought Minjae here today to try to talk to Sooyoung. Is she home?” asked Changsub.

 

“Minjae? The kid she used to take care of at the orphanage?” asked Mrs. Park, as she turned to look at Minjae.

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo! Park Minjae-imnida,” greeted Minjae politely. “Halmonni, is eomma at home?”

 

“Eomma? Who’s your eomma?” asked Mrs. Park.

 

“Sooyoung is his eomma, Mrs. Park,” explained Joohyun. “Minjae started calling Sungjae and Sooyoung his appa and eomma after they managed to get through to Minjae. We were hoping to get Minjae to try to tal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter