Chapter 19

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A big notice was pasted on the notice board the following day. Seulgi pulled Sooyoung and Yeri to look at it together during their break, though they had a bit of difficulty doing so, as a crowd had formed in front of it.

 

STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAMME

 

This is an announcement for all second and third year students. Our annual student exchange programme is a semester-long programme where students will be able to spend a semester overseas studying in another high school. Students may indicate their preferences online via the student portal. Selected applicants will be notified for interviews and successful applicants will then be notified by email.

 

Sooyoung did not finish reading the post, as she fished out her handphone to text Sungjae excitedly.

 

SY: Oppa! Did you see the notice regarding the student exchange programme?

 

SJ: Yeah I did! It sounds really exciting, doesn't it? Shall we apply together?

 

SY: Of course!

 

Sooyoung and Sungjae both applied to go to the same university in the US for their exchange. Two weeks after their interview, the emails containing the results of their application arrived. Sooyoung and Sungjae had agreed to open their emails together at lunch. Both had their fingers crossed as they looked earnestly at their laptops. Sooyoung saw her application results and squealed in delight, “Oppa! I got it! I got it!!!!!”

 

“That’s great, baby girl!” smiled Sungjae.

 

“What about you?” asked Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae smiled and pushed his laptop towards Sooyoung. Sooyoung saw, to her dismay, that Sungjae had been given his third choice for his exchange, instead of his first. Although Sungjae’s assigned university was also in the US, the two states were much too far away from each other for them to meet on a regular basis.

 

“Ottoke, oppa,” said Sooyoung sadly.

 

“Don’t worry, baby girl. We’ll find a way,” replied Sungjae comfortingly.

 

“Anyway, Sungjae, I wanted to talk to you about something,” said Sooyoung hesitantly.

 

“What is it?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Oppa, I–” began Sooyoung, when Sungjae’s phone suddenly rang. From the caller ID, Sooyoung saw that it was Sohyun.

 

“Please don’t answer it, oppa. I really need to talk to you about something,” begged Sooyoung.

 

“I’m sorry, baby girl. This will only take a minute,” said Sungjae, as he answered his phone. “Yeobseyo? What is it, Sohyun?”

 

Sungjae listened for a few more seconds, before replying, “All right, I’ll be right over.”

 

Sungjae turned to Sooyoung and said, “I’m sorry, baby girl. I’ve got to go. We’ll talk the next time we meet, all right?”

 

Sungjae did not wait for Sooyoung’s reply, as he grabbed his bag and ran off.

 

“No, it’s not all right, oppa,” muttered Sooyoung sadly under her breath.

 

 

Sooyoung felt the distance between her and Sungjae grow wider and wider as the semester progressed. Sungjae’s replies grew shorter and colder. All her attempts to get him to sit down and talk were of no avail. Even talking to Changsub didn’t help, despite Changsub being Sungjae’s best friend. Sooyoung was bitterly disappointed when all Changsub could say was, “There’s nothing I can do, Sooyoung.”

 

In an attempt to cope with her feelings, Sooyoung went back to the orphanage three weeks after they received their results for their overseas exchange to talk to Minjae, hoping that it would improve her mood. Minjae saw her and came running out, as he always did.

 

“Eomma! I haven’t seen you for so long!” said Minjae excitedly.

 

“Aigoo, Minjae-ah. Have you been a good boy recently?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Of course! Minjae missed eomma so much,” replied Minjae. “Why didn’t you come with appa last week?”

 

This was news to Sooyoung. She had no idea that Sungjae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter