Chapter 17

You Complete Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung and Sungjae continued to walk along the Han River. After walking for another 10 minutes, they stopped and turned to gaze at the river. It was amazing how neither of them needed to say anything to know what the other was thinking.

 

What were we waiting for? What was I afraid of? What was she afraid of? Gosh, we were so silly.

 

“Baby girl,” began Sungjae.

 

“Yes?” replied Sooyoung.

 

“I have something for you,” said Sungjae, as he turned to face Sooyoung.

 

“What is it?” asked Sooyoung, looking into Sungjae’s eyes.

 

Sungjae reached into his pocket and fished out a small box.

 

“I know this must be super clichéd, but I bought these a while back,” said Sungjae, as he opened the box. In it were a pair of simple rose gold rings of the same design. Sooyoung’s hand flew to in surprise. Upon looking more closely, Sooyoung saw that they had “성재수영부부” engraved on the outside and one of them had “Baby Girl” engraved on the inside. The other had a simple “6” engraved on it.

 

“Don’t get any ideas, Park Sooyoung. I’m not proposing to you. But I do want to give you a physical form of my commitment to you, baby girl. I’m not a very creative guy, so I could only think of a ring. But I hope you like it,” said Sungjae as he looked at Sooyoung with all the sincerity and love he could muster.

 

Sooyoung covered her face in shyness and turned away from Sungjae. Sungjae felt worried and asked, “What’s wrong, baby girl?”

 

“Anni~ Nothing’s wrong,” replied Sooyoung, still with her back to him.

 

Sungjae smiled at her shyness. Instead of pulling her arm towards him to put the ring on for her, he gave her a back hug and took her left hand into his. With his right hand, he slid the ring that said “6” onto her ring finger.

 

“Shouldn’t I be taking the other one?” asked Sooyoung, as she felt Sungjae’s warmth from her back.

 

“No, you should be taking the “6” one. I want to be by your side all the time,” explained Sungjae. “I really don’t want to lose you again, baby girl. I’m still an idiot. I’m slow at figuring out what you want. I always figure out your feelings too slowly. But despite all that, I really love you so much, baby girl. And I’m sometimes so afraid that I’ll lose you. So please forgive me for being so clingy but you really are my world and I don’t ever want to let you go.”

 

Sooyoung tilted her head backwards and looked at Sungjae lovingly. “I will never leave you, oppa. Unless you choose to leave me,” said Sooyoung.

 

“I will never leave you, Sooyoung. Nothing could ever come between us,” replied Sungjae, as he hugged Sooyoung from the back with his eyes closed.

 

Sooyoung and Sungjae savoured the moment, before Sooyoung glanced down to look at the ring on her finger again.

 

“This looks like “성재수영쀼”, doesn’t it, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Aigoo, you’re right! It didn't occur to me before. Shall I get it changed?” asked Sungjae, as he reached for Sooyoung’s ring.

 

Sooyoung pulled back quickly and replied, “Shiro! This is the one you gave me. You’re not taking it back.”

 

“Arasso, arasso,” replied Sungjae with a laugh. “So we’ll be the Bbyu couple from now on then?”

 

“Hahaha, neh oppa. We will!” said Sooyoung.

 

The couple fell into silence after a while, as they watched the night scene. After a while, Sooyoung suddenly asked, “Do you hate Dohwan-oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae was slightly taken aback by the question but thought for a while, before replying, “No, I don’t, baby girl.”

 

“Jinjja?” teased Sooyoung.

 

“Jinjja,” replied Sungjae seriously. “He helped you realise your true feelings for me while you were in a relationship with him. If anything, I’m grateful that he helped you discover those feelings. So why would I hate someone who brought you closer to me?”

 

Sooyoung smiled at his answer, as she drew Sungjae’s arms more tightly around her.

 

“Gomawo, oppa. I was worrying that you would hate him because of my mistake. I’m really glad you feel this way,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Saranghae, baby girl,” replied Sungjae.

 

After walking for over an hour along the Han River, Sungjae and Sooyoung decided to head home, since it was the first time in a long time that Sungjae had walked for so long. Both wanted the night to last longer if possible and walking slowly helped lengthen the time that they would need to get to Sooyoung’s house.

 

I don’t want this to end. What else could I ask for? She’s by my side.

 

 

Sungjae’s birthday was approaching in a week’s time and Sooyoung wanted to make it a special one, as it would be his first birthday after he stopped using the wheelchair. That weekend, Sooyoung brought the idea up with Seulgi to discuss how best to celebrate Sungjae’s birthday at the café near Seulgi’s house.

 

“Hey unnie, Sungjae’s birthday is coming up soon. I really want to do something special for him, since he’s finally stopped using the wheelchair,” said Sooyoung.

 

“How about throwing a party?” asked Seulgi.

 

“I don’t think Sungjae would like that. He’s never been one to like crowds,” said Sooyoung thoughtfully.

 

“But Hyunsik-ie told me Sungjae likes it when his close friends gather and have fun together,” said Seulgi.

 

“Hyunsik-ie? Since when did you drop the formalities with Hyunsik-sunbae?” asked Sooyoung.

 

Seulgi flushed a deep red and said, “I meant Hyunsik sunbae…”

 

“Aaaaeeeeeee, unnie. Something’s going on! What is it?” teased Sooyoung.

 

“Anni… it’s nothing…” stammered Seulgi.

 

“You two became a couple too?” swooned Sooyoung.

 

Seulgi deliberated for a while, before nodding shyly.

 

“Daebak! Congrats, unnie! But how could you not tell us?” demanded Sooyoung.

 

“I was going to. But so many things have been happening recently that I didn't know how to go about it. You and Sungjae were going through a rough patch. Announcing this news wouldn't have been appropriate, right?” explained Seulgi.

 

Sooyoung blushed a little, before replying, “Arassoyo, unnie. Do the others know yet?”

 

“They don't. But let me tell them in my own time, okay?” begged Seulgi.

 

“Of course, unnie. Oh, I’m so happy for you! You two are the eye-smile couple!” swooned Sooyoung. “Being with him makes you happy, doesn't it?”

 

“Of course it does! He feels so warm when he hugs me,” said Seulgi.

 

“And from what I heard from Sungjae-oppa, I’m sure Hyunsik-ssi having a six pack makes it even nicer when you two hug, right?” teased Sooyoung.

 

“Yah, Park Sooyoung! That’s my business!” ranted Seulgi, as she pretended to hit Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung dodged with a laugh and said, “Arasso, unnie. Now, back to the topic. What should I give Sungjae-oppa for his birthday?”

 

“Why don’t you make something for him?” asked Seulgi. “I’m sure anything you make for him will mean the world to him.”

 

“I’ve thought about that but I don’t know what would be nice for oppa,” pouted Sooyoung.

 

The pair thought hard for a few minutes before Seulgi piped up, “Do you want to try baking cookies for him?”

 

“I can’t cook to save my life, unnie. Sungjae would probably die of food poisoning if I made him anything to eat with my own hands,” replied Sooyoung with a groan.

 

“I can teach you, Sooyoung-ah. I bake for my kids at the orphanage on a regular basis, though I haven’t had time to do it recently cuz of exams,” said Seulgi.

 

“Oh, will you? You’re the best, unnie! I’ll get Minjae to help as well. I think he’ll love to do something for his appa,” said Sooyoung with a smile.

 

“I’m going to have a six-year-old run around in my kitchen? Maybe you should do something else for Sungjae instead,” said Seulgi slyly.

 

“Yah! I’ll make sure Minjae behaves. You don't need to worry about that. I’m sure he’ll be an angel if I tell him to behave,” retorted Sooyoung.

 

“Haha! All right, I believe you. So when do you want to come over?” asked Seulgi.

 

“How about Monday 2pm? I’ll need to check with Mrs. Yang tomorrow whether it’s okay with her if I bring Minjae to my place for a few hours,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Sure! My house will be empty then. I’ll get all the things we need. Hopefully we’ll get everything done in one sitting,” said Seulgi.

 

Sooyoung headed over to the orphanage the following day and knocked on Mrs. Yang’s door.

 

“Annehasaeyo, Mrs. Yang,” greeted Sooyoung.

 

“Oh Sooyoung, you’re here to see the kids today? They’re waking up from their nap soon,” said Mrs. Yang.

 

“No, Mrs. Yang. I’m here to see you. I wanted to ask if I can take Minjae out for a few hours tomorrow. Sungjae’s birthday is coming up and I’m planning to bake cookies for him as a gift. I want Minjae to be part of it as well, so is it all right if I take him out for a few hours?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Sure, Sooyoung! I think that’s a wonderful idea. I’m sure Minjae would enjoy it as well, since he’s doing something for his appa. I think this birthday is going to be a very special one for Sungjae,” said Mrs. Yang with a twinkle in her eye.

 

“Thanks, Mrs. Yang! Could you let Minjae know that I’ll pick him up tomorrow at 1.30pm. I’ll be sure to keep a few cookies for you!” replied Sooyoung with a laugh, as she stepped out of Mrs. Yang’s office.

 

Sooyoung reached the orphanage the following day at 1.20pm to pick up Minjae. Minjae was already waiting excitedly at the door of the orphanage, craning his neck to see if Sooyoung was coming.

 

“Eomma!” shouted Minjae excitedly. “Eomma, are we going to your house today?”

 

“Neh, Minjae-ah,” replied Sooyoung, smiling at Minjae’s excitement.

 

Mrs. Yang walked out of her office and smiled at the duo.

 

“Minjae-ah, make sure you behave yourself today. There are going to be hot things like ovens today. Make sure you listen to what your eomma tells you to do and don’t be too playful, is that clear?” said Mrs. Yang firmly.

 

“Neh, Mrs. Yang. Minjae is always a good boy with eomma,” replied Minjae with a toothy smile.

 

“Good boy. Now hurry along now. Make sure you make nice cookies for your appa today!” said Mrs. Yang.

 

Minjae and Sooyoung waved as they headed to Seulgi’s house. They reached 15 minutes later and Seulgi walked out to welcome them.

 

“Hey, Sooyoung! Hello, Minjae!” greeted Seulgi.

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo. Park Minjae-imnida,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter