Seven

Before All The Longings

 

+++++

 

It's his first time coming to this side of the town. He missed a couple of turns and even went up to the wrong building. He checked twice before pressing the floor number and stared at the three digits above the bell for a solid five seconds before ringing it. Did he still get the address wrong again?

"Yifan, who... Oh! You are Sophia's brother, right? Come in! Come in!"

Joonmyeon smiles weakly, his eyes catching the Chinese male opening the front door wider as he steps aside, allowing him to enter. The lady has returned to mingle with her friends and he is standing at the entryway, feeling the taller's presence on his back.

Yifan purses his lips and tears his gaze away from the small back. Bella told him about what happened at the club and he was introduced to the girl as she is one of the kitchen staff that came with the chef from the club. So she is his sister.

The presence moves to his side and he watches as the taller walking towards the small group of people in the living room. Their father is working and he's going out later so he just came by to drop the car for Sophia. Never in his life would he imagined the awesome lady that hired Jirayu's cook is related to the Chinese male somehow.

"Oppa."

He smiles as his little sister in a waitress outfit coming closer to him. "You look cute."

Sophia blushes. Bella said the same thing too and she can't help feeling pretty. "Where are you going? When will dad get back?"

"I'm going to visit the shop with Harit hyung. Dad said he will be back before seven but he just want to be safe. The house key is in the car." He hands over the car key and earns a nod. "Then, I'll be going."

"Oh, leaving already, Sophia's brother?"

Joonmyeon's eyes zero at the beautiful woman that appeared from Sophia's back. He was so dumfounded earlier that he didn't notice how beautiful and soft the red dress is on her, making her even more beautiful. "It's Joonmyeon."

Bella playfully hits her forehead at her forgetfulness, earning a giggle from Sophia before scanning the older brother in front of her. The siblings' face both has this calming aura around them and for a man, Joonmyeon's complexion is no joke. "Won't you be staying?"

"I..."

"The food is delicious, you know. I had totally a different person I was going to hire for today but then the fried seafood platter the club offered was so good I just..."

Joonmyeon smiles as he nods. He knows.

"Oppa is friend with Mr. Jirayu."

Bella side-eyes the male. "Really?"

"I did some work for him."

"If I had known the girl I saved is the sister of someone that friend with the club owner, I would be using that for a discount! Your friend gave me a hard bargain." The male smiles again and Bella feels at ease. She really likes his smile. "So, you are staying?"

"Please, oppa?"

Joonmyeon purses his lips at Sophia's begging face and the woman's smiley one. He takes a quick glance at the clock and nods, promising to stay for a little bit. He smiles when the lady excuses herself and decides to follow his little sister to the kitchen as he doesn't know any of the guests.

"Bella unnie is so cool." Sophia hands an empty plate to her borther before returning back to the island counter and continues her work. "You know that dress the wears? She made it herself!"

Joonmyeon bites one end of the spring roll as he remembers. Not only she's beautiful, her name is also pretty and she is that talented. Such a perfect person does exist. He breathes out as one thing pops up in his mind. "Is that tall guy her husband?"

"Ah, Mr. Yifan isn't her husband. Well, not yet." She puts the pastry in the oven. "I hope they will marry soon, though. They look great together."

He has nothing to say to that. He knows nothing about Bella and with the Chinese male isn't much different either. He and the taller both managed to hide it so well that as if what happened 'that' night never happened.

"Oh? Joonmyeon?"

He turns at the call of his name to see Minseok standing by the kitchen entrance. He smiles as the older hugs him. How can he forget about Minseok.

"I didn't know you're coming. Did Yifan invite you?" Minseok gets a headshake as his junior mouthes Bella's name. "Oh, you guys know each other?"

Joonmyeon smiles awkwardly. "It's an interesting story."

He nods. He doesn't think they are close enough for Yifan to invite the younger. The two would only see each other when the taller's with him and after Yifan moved out, the meeting's even lesser. "What are you doing in the kitchen? Did you just arrived?"

"I don't know anyone out there so... And my little sister is here helping with the food." He watches as the two greet each other before a thought flashes. "Oh, hyung."

Minseok looks at the younger.

"How was those cookies I gave you?"

He tries to remember the confection Joonmyeon talked about and nods. "It was delicious! They didn't look store-bought. You made them?"

He shakes his head, looking over at his little sister that is in panic mode while waiting for his next words. "She did." He finds it funny as Sophia tries not to blush at the compliments Minseok is giving her. She deserves it. Those cookies were delicious.

"Joonmyeon, there is someone here to see you."

Bella's soft voice makes him turns his head towards its direction and he can't help to be suprised at the person's presence. "Harit hyung! What are you... I thought we're going to meet at the shop?"

"Well, when you said you need to drop off the car to your sister first, I thought why not I pick you up, so I asked Jirayu for the address."

"Ah, sorry you had to come all over here."

"Nah, I want to. Shall we go?" Harit earns a nod as Joonmyeon putting his plate down and wiping his fingers, saying goodbye to Sophia and some male he doesn't know.

"You won't be staying?"

He smiles, declining the offer. "We have some work to do."

"Then let me walk you guys to the door." Bella leads the two and heads towards the door, smiling as Joonmyeon and his friend say their goodbye before closing the door. She turns around and spots Yifan staring at her with an expression she doesn't recognize. She walks over to the male as Yifan still has his eyes towards the direction of the front door.

"Someone left?"

She nods when the taller looks at her. "Joonmyeon's friend came to pick him up. I didn't get to ask him name, though." She tries to read Yifan's face as he sips his drink. It was really short but Joonmyeon's friend was being a gentleman and she couldn't help smiling all the short way to the door. She looks at Yifan again. Was that jealousy?

"I'm gonna get some more." Yifan earns a nod and leaves Bella to refill his glass. It is also an excuse to get away from the female as he knows how perceptive Bella can be. He has been keeping it buried as soon as it started. He won't let Bella found out about it now.

"Yifan."

He smiles as Minseok steps closer. "Are you enjoying the party?"

Minseok nods. "I barely know anyone here but the food is nice so..."

"Yeah, most of them are Bella's acquaintances and friends. I recognize their faces but not the name. You and Luhan are probably the only friends I have here." He frowns at the lacking of someone beside Minseok. "Is Luhan still in the toilet?"

"He is. I reminded him about your party but he said just a few glasses and he kept throwing up this morning. Well, deserves him right not listening to me." He sees his friend agreeing with his words. He can always count on Yifan. "Oh."

Yifan's ears perk up.

"Joonmyeon was here. Did you see him?"

He nods.

"I was suprised seeing him here but the thought of you that might be the one invited him puzzled me more. I was like, 'Yifan and Joonmyeon are this close? Why didn't I know? I was their middleman' but then he said he knows Bella because of his little sister and things make sense more. Bella is that friendly."

Yifan smiles weakly. He hopes they will forever be this distant.

 

+++++

 

Joonmyeon can't stop staring at the small shop in front of him. There are still unfinished work with the lettering of the shop's sign but the outside wall has this soft green color painted on them and it looks so cute. Just perfect for a dessert shop.

"Are you already satisfied? You don't need to go inside? We can go home?" Harit lets a small laugh when Joonmyeon pulls his arm to stop him from walking towards the car and he turns around, leading the small male to the front door of the shop and opens it.

The giant waffle painting on the back wall catches his eyes first and Joonmyeon feels like he can taste it if he stares at it long enough. It looks so real and delicious and he never thought a painting could make him so hungry.

"That is where the other money went. Now you know why."

His mind recalls the conversation they had when they first met and he nods. Totally understandable. "You made the right choice, hyung. No one can resist ordering something when they see it." He sees a couple of workers coming from the backroom and watches Harit greet them, smiling towards them when the older points at him.

Harit signals Joonmyeon to come to him and starts walking beside the younger. "They are working on the kitchen but this room is finished." He opens the main office door and lets Joonmyeon enter while he watches from behind. The way the male admiring at everything in the furniture-less room just make him smile.

"Where did you get this, hyung?" Joonmyeon looks upwards at the grandfather clock in front of him. The room only has two plastic chairs without any other furniture so the clock really stands out. "It looks old."

"This place was a watch shop." He stands beside the younger. "The owner loved it but couldn't take it with him so he sold it to me. You like it?"

Joonmyeon nods before looking around the room. "But it's too big for the room, hyung. I think you should place it outside. It is too pretty keeping it inside like this."

"Do you think so?"

"I am sure." He gets a smile as the older accepts his idea and will be doing that after everything is finished. He follows Harit and exits the room, taking a quick peek at the kitchen where there workers are busy putting tiles on the walls. He looks at his left and right as he walks across the empty space of the shop's front to the door. He can't wait to see it finished.

"Joonmyeon."

"Hm?"

Harit holds the door as the yonger exits his shop and follows suit, standing right in front of him. "If you don't mind I am asking, when do you think you can finish the system?"

Joonmyeon looks up at the taller. "I just finished Jirayu hyung's system so I can concentrate fully on yours now. Do you need it soon?"

"No, I am not rushing you or anything. I just want to know. I'm afraid that you would finished it sooner when my shop still not so... Just take your time."

He smiles as he looks around the neighborhood. He doesn't come here as often since it is full with luxury and high-end shops but he likes the atmosphere.

"Now that you have seen the shop, you can help me choose the tables for it, right?"

Joonmyeon stares at the older before nodding. He did promise that.

 

+++++

 

"Yifan. Yifan."

He looks at his side before lowering himself a little, allowing Grace to whisper to his ear.

"That waitress girl looks familiar. Have we met her before?"

Yifan glances at the front door as Bella bids goodbye to the cook and helpers from the club, with the girl she saved is the last one to leave. "No. I just met her today."

"Really? I am so sure I have seen her before with you. Or, you weren't there with me?"

He shrugs. He admits there are some resemblance between the siblings but not the kind that one would mistake one for the other.

"That was a success, I would say." Bella stands before the two cousins. She looks at Grace. "So, you can take it out now. Is it in your car? You want me and Yifan to help you carrying it?"

Grace can't help herself form frowning as she doesn't understand the meaning behind those words. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, people always give plants when someone just moved to a new house so..."

Grace looks down at the held out hands. Is she being serious?

"Bella." Yifan earns a pout before watching Bella walking towards the kitchen.

"No housewarming gift, no custard pudding for you."

He sees Grace rushing to follow Bella. The dessert have many leftovers even when it being the most favourite among the guests. A ring on the door pauses him from gong to the bedroom for some rest and he heads towards the door, puzzles when that young girl is standing behind it.

"Ah, hello. Sorry to interrupt you but I think I left my keys in the kitchen. Would you mind if I look for it?"

Yifan gives her a curt nod and opens the door wider, watching the girl putting down the stainless steel drink container she was carrying by the shoerack before letting herself in. He follows from behind and hears greeting being exchanged before seeing the girl looking around the kitchen counter.

"I don't think it is here, Sophia." Bella closes back the drawer near the stove, looking at the young girl as she helps her find her keys. The mixed look of dejected and awkwardness breaks the heart and she pats Sophia on her shoulder. "Why don't you go home first? Maybe you misplaced it somewhere else and when I found it, I will return it to you."

Sophia nods with a heavy heart. She was pretty sure she put it inside her pocket immediately after receiving it from Joonmyeon. She walks back to the front door and puts on her shoes, lifting the drink container before earning a frown from Bella that is watching her with Yifan.

"Are you carrying that home?"

She nods.

"While riding a bus?" Bella earns a nod again before looking at Yifan. "Let Yifan drive you home."

Yifan's neck snaps from turning to the side that fast and purses his lips when Bella is smiling. "Shouldn't you send her?"

"Ah, it is fine, unnie. I..."

"It is not fine. Wait here."

Yifan watches as Bella runs to her bedroom and comes out moments later with ragged breath and takes his hand.

"Here." She puts her car key in the male's hand. "You send her since I can't let that woman finish my custard pudding." She turns to Sophia, smilling. "Get home safely, okay. I will look for your keys. Bye."

Sophia watches as Bella disappears from her sight and behind the kitchen walls before hearing a sigh coming from her front. She purses her lips, gathering her courage. "It is fine, Mr. Yifan. I can get home by myself."

Yifan puts on his shoes and opens the door, turning slightly to look at the girl. "She won't stop remindming me if I let you do that."

 

+++++