Twelve

Before All The Longings

 

+++++

 

"Oppa."

"Hm?"

"Would you le me work here?"

Joonmyeon looks up from his plate of pancakes and at his little sister that is looking at him with a calm expression. "You... want to work here?"

Sophia nods. "They are still looking for staff and I can work here before I go to the club. And the manager said we can have any of the menu for staff lunch if we want." She swallows, mind imagining those delicious menu she could taste everyday without paying a cent. "I want."

He stares at the younger before looking around the shop. It is full with Harit's friends that cane for the pre-opening before the shop is fully open tomorrow. Jirayu is at the corner near the counter talking with probably his mutual friends with Harit. He helped choosing this particular seating they occupied. The shop has a special place in his heart.

"So, would you let me?"

"Won't it be too tired? You would come home at four and come to work at ten. I think it's a bit too much."

Sophia breathes out, smiling at her older brother. Joonmyeon is still Joonmyeon that would always put his family first, especially her. That is why she was the first to know about the older's secret. He didn't want her to find our from other people that might come with untrue rumors. She promised to be by his side when it's time to tell their parents but the day came unexpectedly and she wasn't prepared. "Oppa."

"Hm?"

"I will be fine. I am a tough girl, don't you know? I am your sister afterall."

The slender arms that are trying to show some muscles in front of him make him smile. He knows his little sister is a tough one, after that one night with the yelling and restraining and all. "Let's ask dad first. If you think you can handle two jobs, then I trust you. But we need to hear dad's opinion first."

"Set!" She stands up, looking down at her brother. "I want to order some more. Do you want anything?"

Joonmyeon glances at his own plate with half eaten strawberry pancakes. "No, thanks. Just go enjoy yourself." He watches as Sophia prancing her way to the station where fresh batches of waffles and pancakes are made to order. His eyes meet with Harit's that is busy attending the other guests and he smiles when the other waves at him.

"Why didn't I think of opening such place?"

The older comes from nowhere and takes a seat across him.

"Dessert shop is so money magnet. Plus, it comes with such beautiful creature of Earth, women."

"Stop saying that with that face or I'm calling the cops." Joonmyeon cuts a small piece of his pancakes and puts it in his mouth. It has cold down a little with he observing people than focusing on eating.

Jirayu twirls the juice in his hand, watching the younger eats. "I heard Sophia is asking to work here. Are you going to let her?"

"If she can handle it, I don't mind. But she needs to tell our father first."

"Have you find out what is she going to do with all that money? She really won't continue her study?"

Joonmyeon lets out a soft sigh, shaking his head. His little sister doesn't even tell their father. He couldn't have known with him not by her side for the past two years. "She said she will think about it when she got enough money. She acts strong but I'm afraid what happened still has impact on her and I really can't say anything about that."

Jirayu nods. He knows about the younger's family as much as Joonmyeon told him and he knows they are just friends but he can't help to worry about the small family. He glances at his watch before facing back to his front. "I got to go. Are you coming to the club tonight?"

"Why would I?"

"Because I will be there?"

"The more reason not to come."

"Tsk!"

He watches as Jirayu walking to Harit before they hug and say goodbye to each other. The seat he is in is the one at the back, the nearest to the restroom and the office and the full view he has of the front entrance is making him on full alert at the two people that just entered. Maybe he should leave too.

"Oh! Joonmyeon!"

He smiles, watching the taller hesitate as Bella approaching his table.

"Are you alone? May we join you?" Bella gets a curt nod and pushes Yifan in as it is easier for her to move around later. Her eyes zoom in at the plate of pancakes in front of the younger before looking around the shop. The smell of freshly made desserts is making her hungry. "Have you seen Mr. Harit?"

Joonmyeon turns to the counter and the male isn't there anymore. "He was just there a moment ago. Maybe he's back in the kitchen."

"Then, I will greet him later. First, I skipped breakfast and lunch for this so..."

He watches as the lady marches straight to the station that prepare the waffle, greeting Sophia that is still hanging out near it as she arrives. Seems like the two are going to be there for a while and he turns slightly to the person being left with him. The taller is busying himself with his phone and he really doesn't want to do this but he has to. "Thank you."

His fingers stop scrolling and Yifan blinks once, making sure what his ears just heard is right before lifting his head to look at the source of the voice where a pair of big eyes is staring at him.

"Thank you for sending Sophia home."

He blinks again at the gratitude. He really doens't expect the male to talk to him less thanking him for a matter that is no big deal. He wanted to stay at the shop as he knew the male will be here but Bella ignored all that and dragged him here anyway. He replies with a nod as he really doesn't want to make any conversation with the male before returning to his device.

Joonmyeon breathes easy. Although he already thanked Bella, his conscience kept saying it wasn't enough. He completely forgot about it the other day at the aiport as something much serious happened but now he can go on with his life.

"Joonmyeon."

Yifan looks up at the voice and sees Harit taking a seat beside the younger, smiling at the male before wiping the corner of the younger's mouth with his thumb. Does that really neccessary?

Harit turns to the Chinese male across him. "Thank you for coming, Mr. Yifan. Where is Miss Bella?" He follows Yifan's line of sight and sees two familiar ladies taking with each other in front of the pancake station. So it was a right decision to put the stations out front. He turns back and notices the empty space in front of Yifan. "Aren't you going to eat anything? You need to pay for it the next time you come, you know."

Yifan forces a smile. "Ah, I am fine. I am just accompanying Bella. I had a big lunch..."

"Nonsense. Your stomach always have room for dessert. I will get some for you." He stands up and looks at Joonmyeon. "Aren't you going to refill your plate?"

Yifan sees a smile, small but genuine, as the empty plate being taken away and the smaller follows Harit from behind, leaving him all alone at the table. He tries to tear his gaze away from the two but he can't get rid of such expression out of his mind. Was it that easy to move on after he had done to him?

"Yifan." Bella steps closer, a plate on each hand, but the male isn't moving or showing any reaction to her presence. She stands by the table and tries to look where Yifan's life of sight is directed at and a male figure peeks out between the small gap of people. She takes a seat with a big smile on her face. So her plan worked.

A bump on his arm makes he turn and sees Bella chewing on her food. When did the woman arrive?

"Stop making tha face and eat." She pushes the plate full of mini puffs and tarts towards the taller, ignoring the puzzled look on the handsome face. "So..."

Yifan picks up one of the cheese tart, putting it in his mouth before returning to his phone he had neglected earlier.

"Are you ready to tell me now?"

He breathes out, ignoring the gaze coming from his side as he focuses on his phone. Bella can never know.

 

+++++

 

"Thank you again for giving me a ride."

Bella nods, glancing over her shoulder at her passenger at the backseat. "It has been a few days like this, isn't it? It would be raining so hard at one place and not a single drop at another."

Joonmyeon smiles as it is true. There wasn't any sign that's going to rain when he entered the restroom after class yesterday and when he got out five minutes later, the surrounding view had became blurry because of the heavy rain. The car turns left at a corner and he can see his house at the distant. Taking a quick look at the driver, he can't believe the male already memorized the way when he only had been here once.

The car stops right in front of a small house with a white compact car parked at its front and Bella opens her door together with the younger and steps outside, looking around the neighborhood. There are street lights but they are dimmer than they should be. "This is an old neighborhood, huh?"

Joonmyeon nods as he opens the front gate. "Old but it is not too bad. You need to walk a bit to reach the main road though." He turns around, facing the older. "So..."

"Can I borrow you toilet?"

He blinks as Bella is smiling at him. His guts tell him she doesn't really want to use the bathroom but not letting her in will make her even more curious. He nods and walks ahead, opening the front door and steps aside, allowing the lady to enter first before following from behind.

"Your house is so cute!"

"Thank you. The bathroom is the second door on the left."

Bella nods, taking one step at a time as her head turning left and right, looking at everything. She steps into the bathroom and the sight of the toilet is making her really want to go, when it was supposed to be just an excuse.

Joonmyeon hears the flush of the toilet before the creak of the bathroom door being opened reaches his ears and he sees the older's head looking around his house again. She won't find the Chinese male's picture here if that is what she is looking for.

"So it is just your dad and Sophia?"

He nods.

"Your mom?"

"She passed away."

The answer is something she had expected but that isn't enough to explain why the older woman isn't in any of the pictures she saw around the house. Bella stares straight into the clear eyes. "When you were little?"

"No, just over six months ago."

She notices the pursed lips and nods, thanking the younger before excusing herself and leaves the house. She sees Yifan leaning against the car and smiles when the male notices her presence. "It wasn't that long so no nagging!"

Yifan sighs as he watches Bella gets into the car before opening the driver's door and slips in himself. He starts the engine and drives away, glancing at the woman once in a while. He can't help to wonder what did Bella find inside the other's house. Connection that could link them together shouldn't be there.

"No." She turns her head fully at the driver, smirking at the furrowed eyebrows. Did the male think she doesn't notice? "I am not going to tell you what I saw in there." She sees the eyeroll and giggles before turning back to her front. "But I will tell you this."

Yifan's ears perk up.

"Something big happened in the past and the family just want to forget about it."

He breathes out. As long as it doesn't have anything to do with the secret between them, then it is none of his business.

 

+++++