Twenty-Two

Before All The Longings

 

+++++

 

"Joonmyeon!"

Joonmyeon stops his track, looking around for the surce of the voice calling his name before he sees a lady coming towards him from his left with one hand keeps waving at him.

"What is she doing here?"

He glances at Chanyeol that is next to him. He wanted to ask the same question too.

"Hey! I've finally found you. I'm glad I decided to check the cafeteria again. You are Joonmyeon's friend from last time, right?"

Chanyeol nods as he scans the pretty lady. He was introduced to her last time by Joonmyeon but he didn't ask anything more after that since he felt no need to do so. But now, the lady is even looking for Joonmyeon at the university and apparently has been searching for him for a while. What business does she have with Joonmyeon for her to be doing this?

"Did you guys just finish lunch? I was hoping to have some with you and arrived early but I got lost."

Joonmyeon smiles at the sheepish grin on the older's face but he can't help wonder what brings Bella to see him. And why she went so far as searching for him. "Why didn't you call me? I could meet up with you."

"I left my phone in the car and was afraid I would miss you if I went to go get it so I just searched around the area." Bella stares at the younger's face. She wanted to bring Sophia but she can't let Yifan or her staff see her. "Do you have class after this? I want to take you somewhere."

He stares at the older's happy face that doesn't give him the same feeling while looking at it. His last class for the day is later in the afternoon as he was planning to stay at the library right after this but somehow he feels that if he said he is free now but has to come back later, that smile would disappear completely. There is something going on with Bella today that he would feel guilty turning down her invitation more than lying to her. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere pretty. And you, Joonmyeon's friend. Do you want to come too? The more the merrier!"

Chanyeol looks down at the senior beside him, wondering if he should skip his class or not because he can tell Joonmyeon also is thinkng that something doesn't add up with the lady standing in front of them. "I..."

"He has class after this. This lecturer has been giving him a hard time too. We shouldn't bother him."

Bella nods, understanding. "I had that kind of professor too. Everyone failed her exam that one semester and had to take the same class again. Luckily it wasn't her teaching the next semester or we would be taking the class for the third time!" She looks at Joonmyeon. "So, are we walking your friend to his class or we can go now?"

Chanyeol meets with the shining eyes before unconsciously raises his hand, waving a little as a rejection to the suggestion. "It's fine. My class is at the other campus." He sees the lady frown before Joonmyeon explains about his major.

"Oh, really? That is quite far. He always come here to eat lunch with you?"

"Almost every day, I guess." Joonmyeon's brows knit as he watches Bella nodding while scanning the younger from head to toe. "I think we should get going, noona."

"Oh, right! Yes! We should." Bella reaches out and grabs Joonmyeon's hand, pulling the younger to her side before looking at the tall friend. "Then, I am borrowing you hyung today. Study hard, okay?" She smiles at the handsome face and turns around, walking with Joonmyeon by her side, arms locking together.

Joonmyeon follows without saying a word, silently listening to the hum Bella is making as a familiar car with a horse logo slowly comes to view. The cars that parked on each side aren't that cheap either but both still look inferior when comparing to the older's car. The car beeps and his hand being let go before being told to get in.

Bella starts driving, exiting the university ground within minutes and heads towards today's destination. She glances at the passenger seat and hums alongside the music coming out from the radio. She doesn't know why she chose the younger. She could have bring Grace since it is a girl's thing and their relationship is much better now but the older is Yifan's cousin. She might tell the male about today without thinking and she can't have that. Today's plan must be perfect.

Joonmyeon looks around as the car turns into a corner where the neighborhood is still unfamiliar to him. Rows of branded shops lined neatly on each side of the road and he turns to Bella as the car slows down befor the handbrake being pulled up, stopping in front of a three-storey building. He follows the older out of the car and sess the car key being given to a male in a suit vest and walks around the car when Bella tells him to come to her side.

"Are you ready?"

He already being pulled forward before he could answer and he can only smile when a lady welcomes them, leading them towards the elevator and stops when they arrived at the second floor. The door opens and he tries to figure out what is happening as his view being filled with wedding dresses as far as his eyes can see. "Noona..."

"Yes, we are trying wedding dresses today!" Bella tightens the hook she has on the other's arm as they follow the lady to a private room, passing a big hall where the other wedding dresses that are not being displayed are kept.

"We already picked a few from our newest collection that we think would suit you. Would you like to try them first or choose some yourself in the dress room?"

She eyes the four dresses hanging by the wall before turning to her side where a confused look being plastered on a small face. "Hey, stop being so suprised already." She giggles when the younger looks at her. "What?"

The wedding is in two weeks and he is pretty sure that Sophia told him about the wedding dress Bella shown her a few weeks ago. "Didn't you already have a wedding dress?"

"Yes but I changed my mind. I found this place and it has a lot more pretty dresses than that other place, right, May?"

He turns to the lady and sees her smiling at Bella's words. So they already familiar with each other. He watches as Bella walks to the dresses with May beside her and he leans back to the sofa. It was shocking and to be truthful, it is still shocked him that he being brought here to this 'somewhere pretty' place but the older looks so happy talking about the dresses' design with May that he can't wait to see her in them.

"Joonmyeon. Go with May and choose some dresses for me. I'm going to try one of these first." Bella smiles at the knitted brows.

"But I... don't know..."

"Just pick something you want to see Sophia in it. You bought clothes for her before, right? It will be fine. Just go and choose some."

Joonmyeon nods dumbly as he follows May exiting the room and into the dress room, eyes blinking in disbelief as he stares at the beautiful wedding dresses in front of him. Of course he bought clothes for Sophia before, a few dresses as well, but they were all simple sundresses. They were cute and affordable so it was easy to make a decision. Nothing was too fancy or expensive, the total opposite of the white dresses in the room.

"That one has a corset-like back that would compliment the lady's waist."

He watches as May unhooks the dress he unconsciously had his hand on and turns it around, showing the corset back. He looks closely at the design of the dress. Unlike some that have flowy bottom, this one drops just around the ankle. The shoulder straps are from beautiful laces, the same one decorating the area around the chest. If this dress was in another color, it would look just like a regular sundress, but the super expensive kind. His eyes catch another unusual design and May smiles at him, taking that dress too before they both return to their private room.

"How is it?" Bella twirls in her wedding dress as soon as she sees the younger stepping in, smiling at the other's reaction that just standing by the door with widened eyes. The ball-gown type of skirt isn't her favorite but it is still a pretty piece and she just had to try it.

Joonmyeon walks in daze and sits down in daze. Bella looks so pretty in white and her hair that has been styled up loosely makes her look even more beautiful. That husband-to-be of her is so lucky. "You look beautiful, noona."

"Yes, I am. Hohoho. Have you fallen in love with me yet?"

"I am."

"But I am off-limits." She winks at the younger, smiling as she supresses the invisible hand that is crushing her heart. She didn't ask Yifan that question the last time she tried wedding dresses with him. Maybe it wouldn't be that hurt if she found out the truth back then. "I'm going to change to your chosen dress next!"

Joonmyeon nods as the older steps backwards and the curtain being pulled around the small platform for Bella to change. The talking about the wedding has been going around for a month now and Sophia never fail to mention to him whenever Bella told her about the progress but only right now that one thought popped up inside his mind. Someday his little sister too will be standing on that platform trying on wedding dresses for her wedding and he doesn't know how he will fee about that.

"Joonmyeon!"

"Hm?"

"That friend of yours I met earlier..."

Chanyeol's face flashes and he nods before realizing Bella can't see it with her being on the other side of the thick curtain. "Chanyeol?"

"Ah, right! Chanyeol. I knew his name rhymes with 'chance'!"

"What about him?"

"You guys are dating, right?" Bella swipes open the curtain, revealing herself as she looks straight at the younger's face. She wants to see the mix of Joonmyeon's reaction of the queston and on the dress and that knitted eyebrows with blinking eyes plus that loopsided smile are totally on the spot. "You should see the face you are making right now."

Small laughs enter his ears and short skirt wedding dress fills his view while his head is still processing the question he being suddenly asked when the curtain was opened. Everything has something to be commented on but he doesn't know which one he should start with.

"So?"

Joonmyeon blinks a few times before nodding. "You look like a punk rock bride."

Bella looks down at the dress. Soft lace is layered over an extra-flared skirt that just comes over mid-thigh with asymmetrical top. A punk rock bride indeed and she loves it. "Not the dress. The dating part." The fair face is staring at her with a smile as May fixes her dress properly on her.

"I am not dating Chanyeol. We are just friends."

"Really? You guys look so close like a couple. I met you with him before and you were with him today too. Are you sure you are not dating him?"

"Yes. We are just best friends. There was another friend before but he has a boyfriend now so it only leaves the two of us. He helped me a lot before so we are that close." Joonmyeon sees Bella side-eyeing him, being suspicious about his relationship with Chanyeol. The Chinese male thought the same thing too but he also thought he was dating Joss. Did he give such impression to everyone that sees him with tall guys since this never happen when he is with Baekhyun?

The younger seems to be telling the truth and Bella turns around to face the big mirror when May has finished fitting her up. The dress makes her look pretty and rebellious at the same time, which is what she has been feeling since that night when her heart got broken. She smiles at her reflection. She can do this.

 

+++++

 

Luhan follows silently from behind, hoping the person that his best friend is trying to reach finally pick up her phone and explain what exactly is happening. He watches fingers entering the passcode in a hurry and held breath being huffed in a low voice as they enter the house, the phone is off the ear and being crushed inside the large hand.

"Bella!" Yifan marches straight towards the bedroom that is adjacent to the living room and opens the door without knocking. Standing by the door, he scans the dim room and purses his lips at the empty bed. He switches on the light and looks around once more before his eyes stop at the clear surface of the vanity table.

"Yifan?" Luhan peeks his head inside and sees the taller opening the giant dresser in the room. He walks closer as his sight fixes at the empty space that is supposd to be full with clothes. So the people at the bakery was telling the truth. They didn't have a reason to lie to his best friend in the first place anyway because saying Bella had cancelled the wedding cake a few days ago as a joke is not funny. "Yifan..."

"You try calling her again."

He watches the taller head to the bathroom before doing as he told, scrolling the names in his contact before pressing the telephone symbole on that one name. He listens as the same information being relayed to him before hanging up, shaking his head at his best friend across the room. He has never seen the taller being so dejected and confused and he doesn't understand why would Bella doing something like this.

Yifan stares blankly at the carpeted floor, feeling the space beside him on the edge of the bed dip a little as a pair of small feet comes into view. The cake was in his charge as it was the same place where Luhan got his. The smaller wanted to suprise Minseok without any reason and he agreed to come along. It still has two weeks left and he just wanted to know about the progress.

Luhan looks around the room. If he didn't know someone lived here before, he would have guess this is the guest room. All that being left are regular things; anything that supposed to reflect Bella's strong and cheerful personality are all gone.

Yifan stares at the handphone in his hand. The numbers for the caterer, the person in charge of the wedding hall and other people that involved in making the wedding possible were given to him so that he wouldn't think that he being forced to marry her and that he could check the progress whenever he wants. Bella said she would handle everything as they are rushing but trust him completely with the cake and his own tuxedo; he doesn't see the need to give him these bunch of numbers as he trusts her as well. Who knows the one time he decided to check on the progress would be the last time he would use those numbers again.

"Yifan, is there something you are not telling me? I don't know her well but I know she wouldn't just suddenly left like this. She looked so excited that night talking about the wedding. What happened between you two?"

He doesn't need to recall what happened that night as it never left his mind. In front of people, Bella would act like her happy self, like such cruel thing never happened. It distracted them from realizing that she doesn't get intimate with him like before anymore. It is when they were alone at the house that the happy face disappear and no words came out from her if it wasn't necessary. She would be cooped up in her room as soon as she arrived home, only coming out in the middle of the night looking for something to eat or going out to buy some with the sound he heard coming from the kitchen and closed door. He sighs. She didn't go out to buy food, did she? "I... couldn't love her..."

Luhan stares at his best friend. He got no answer when he asked Yifan if he loves Bella that time months ago and found it amusing when he saw Yifan being affectionate towards Bella in recent weeks. It looked awkward in his eyes but just like Minseok, he was glad too that their best friend finally came around and Bella got treated as how he was by her. "What do you mean?"

"I tried, I tried doing everything but... sitll I... disappoint her..."

"Are you in love with someone else?"

Yifan's breath hitches at the question as he purses his lips. He gave a long thought about the matter after hurting Bella as he felt it was unfair for her being rejected like that without a solid reason considering their past and the time that they had been together. He tried to think a reason why would he love the other male but all that came up was how he hated him for what happened that night two years ago, even though nothing actually happened between them. How could something like that led up to him being in love with the male?

Luhan breathes out as he watches this friend of his battling with himself; how the large hand fisted into a ball and turned white from the force before it slowly relaxed and loosened. It is unfortunate what happened between the taller and Bella but for what reason would Yifan be acting this way? You can't stop yourself from falling in love so it's not his fault that he loves someone else and not Bella so why is it so difficult for him to admit it?

"Luhan."

"Hm?"

"That party two years ago..." Yifan turns to face his best friend that has a puzzled expression from his words. "...you never ask me to explain anything after the rumor broke out. Why?"

Luhan blinks one, digesting the taller's words as he stares at the stoic face. He doesn't understand why would Yifan mentioned about soemthing that happened two years ago at such time but the question has being asked and he should answer. "Because I felt guilty. I was the one invited you to the paty but left without even meeting you. I don't know how the rumor started but as soon as I heard your name being mentioned among the few that were involved, I thought I should have pulled you out with me when I left. I was afraid you would flip out and get mad at me. It was my fault so I didn't have the rights to ask why."

"I was caught using drugs. You decided to believe the rumor instead of asking me to explain myself?"

He nods. "It was way later when I found out about the spiked drinks but the way your father handled it right after the rumor broke out made me believe it was true. He made it died down so fast that your name stopped being mentioned even while it was still spreading. With your father having that much power, just think what would he do to me if he found out I was the cause of it. I probably would be wiped out from Minseok's memory as he throw me into the sea."

Yifan sighs. "My father is not a mafia."

"He himself is not but I heard his friends are."

He stares at the small face that has an expression of asking for confirmation about his father's friends. He takes a deep breath before turning back to the front, staring down at his feet. It was a few days after the party that the rumor reached him. He was still messed up as the fact that he slept with a man never left his mind and thought that that would spread too but students around the campus were only talking about the drug and not the other part. With mixed feelings, he decided that people thinking him doing drugs is better than thinking he slept with a man and said nothing about it. "And you."

"Hm? I what?"

"Where were you? You said you left early. How early?"

Luhan backs away a little a the commanding tone. "Like, half an hour later? I really wanted to call and look for you but I got a text from Minseok and I forgot everything." He lets out a deep sigh as he remembers that night and gives Yifan a crooked smile when he sees the taller's brows knit at his behavior. "You were not the only person I left at the party for Minseok."

Yifan swallows the lump in his throat. He has been thinking how to mention abou the Korean male to Luhan without getting a look from him but he couldn't come up with anything. Now that Luhan was the one who brought it up, he can find out the other's side of the story without holding back. "What do you mean?"

"With your case, I was afraid you would beat me up. That was why I didn't say anything. But with Joonmyeon, I..."

"Joonmyeon was there too?" He feigns ignorance when Luhan looks up at him, smiling that crooked smile again. For this carefree Luhan to show this expression, whatever happened to the younger that night must have been worst than what happend to him. He was mad at the Korean male for what he thought happened in the room but he couldn't vent it out to anyone and those sketchbooks and drawings became the victim, not knowing Bella was watching the whole thing before she came inside and he had to force himself to calm down, his back facing the fireplace. It was probably then when Bella hid the rest of the sketches until she showed him a few months ago.

"He was feeling down for a few days already, something about telling his parents a secret of something, so I dragged him with me to the party. I was just trying to cheer him up. At the very least, he could forget about his problem for a moment. But, I made his life fall apart instead."

He blinks at the last sentence. It is such a serious expression to be used for being caught of using drugs since while he knew he wasn't the only one being mentioned in those rumors, nothing big really happened to the others either. He never heard the Korean male's name being mentioned anywhere, not even from Minseok and Luhan, and the two, especially Minseok, wouldn't do nothing if they knew the junior's life was falling apart. "I... never heard anything about him..."

Luhan nods, chuckling at himself. "It is understandable. You were dealing with your own problem and your campus was quite a distance away. Plus, this terrible senior was trying to keep everything about it from ever reaching Minseok that was busy helping you too so of course you didn't know about it." He sees the taller's eyes widen at his revelation. "Bet you never thought I was this horrible, huh? I know I shouldn't have done that but the guilt was already heavy whenever I saw you and when I heard what happened to Joonmyeon, I just... I didn't want to even think about it. So I ignored it."

"What happened to him?"

"He..."

The doorbell ring cuts Luhan's word and Yifan blinks, staring at the smaller before something clicks in his mind. He rushes out from Bella's bedroom and heads towards the front door as the doorbell ring for the second time before he stops right in front of the door, realization dawns upon him. Bella wouldn't ring the doorbell of her own house. She was the one that set the passcode.

Luhan walks cautiously as he watches Yifan open the door, a bit disappointed seeing it's a man standing outside instead of Bella. He stands beside his friend, examining this familiar male he sure he had seen him somewhere.

"Harit. What are you doing here?" Yifan stares at the man before him as Harit brings up a lunch box from the paper bag he was holding and offers him to take it. It belongs to Bella as she started using it for take-aways whenever she was too busy preapring for the wedding and couldn't visit the dessert shop.

"Bella asked me to give this to you."

Yifan's grip on the box tightens, eyes staring straight at the male. "You met her today?! When? Did she tell you where she's going?"

"No. She gave this to me a few days ago, asking me to deliver it to you today."

Luhan purses his lips, eyes fix at the lunch box as Yifan opens it. A small velvet box slide downwards as the box being tilted and he looks up at his best friend's face, they both well aware of the content of the velvet box without the need to open it. He puts a hand on the large back. The wedding is really off.

 

+++++