Two

Before All The Longings

 

+++++

 

"Good morning."

Yifan blinks a couple of times, trying to get rid of the sleepiness from his eyes and making his vision clearer as the person at the door invites herselfr in. "Bella? How did you..." He closes the door and walks back inside to see her picking up his trousers and shirt from the floor. "Bella."

"Didn't I tell you not to drink so much? I know you haven't seen them for a while but still, you should know your limits, Yifan."

He comes closer as Bella puts away the dirty laundry on the chair at the corner of the room and stands behind her. "How come you are here?"

Bella turns around, staring at the sleepy face before bringing her hand up to fix the bed hair. "Grace called me last night. Of course I have to come."

Yifan sighs, grabbing the slender wrist and lowering it down from his head. He reaches for his phone on the bedside table and opens the call log, selecting the first name on the list and lets it ring through.

She takes a seat on the messy bed, watching Yifan wandering around the front door with the phone against his ear. She had expected something like this would happened. It is not like she is a gold digger or a player and even though it was arranged by their parents, Yifan didn't object either. She's not even Yifan's sister, just a cousin. So Grace really doesn't have the right to dislike her.

"She didn't pick up?" A disappointed nod answers her question and she takes awayt the phone, pushing Yifan towards the bathroom. "Get ready, We can go see her after lunch."

"You don't have to do this." Yifan looks down at the towel being shoved to him. "You should go back. I can handle this."

"You can never win against her alone, Besides, I like playing this game too."

The bathroom door closes and he steps inside the shower stall with a heavy heart. Bella might be having fun but he is too tired to be stuck between the two of them anymore. Three years of being told to do this way by one and that way by the other is draining the life out of him.

He turns off the water and wipes himself dry; the hot water didn't wash away the stuffed feeling he has like he had wanted and the sight of Bella packing up his stuff is just making it worst.

She turns around after zipping the suitcase to see Yifan putting on the outfit she had laid out on the bed. The male's exposed upper body makes her take a deep breath before letting it out with a loud sigh, earning a look from the other.

"What?"

"Nothing. Just thinking when will I see the rest of it."

His feet instinctively taking a step back at the answer and he purses his lips at the sight of Bella giggling while looking at him. He moves away when she comes closer only to pass by him and disappears behinf the bathroom door. Yifan quickly puts on the rest of his clothes and walks to the other side of the bed where his watch and wallet where placed, ears still ringing with Bella's words.

They were arranged but there is no push from both sided of their family. Sure they tying the knot will be benificial to the families but it is also because his parents and Bella's are best friends that Bella's parents suggested the idea to his folks and they couldn't agree more. 'Get to know each other first, it is better that way,' quoting his mother, and he said nothing back then. Now that they have known each other, he should say something soon.

 

+++++

 

"Oh, that smells nice. What are you cooking?"

Joonmyeon glances over hsi shoulder and shakes his head before focusing back on his cooking. "Just some fried rice. Why aren't you shower yet? It's almost one in the afternoon."

"Too lazy." She takes a seat at the table. "Dad went out?"

He hums. "He went to meet some friends." Joonmyeon turns off the gas and transfers the fried rice into two plates, taking a seat across his little sister while placing one of the plate in front of her. "Do you have any plans today?"

Sophia shakes her head with full.

"I'm going to the club to work on the project. Want to come?"

She stares at her brother, mouth doesn't stop chewing as she thinks about the invitation. Going to her workplace outside of her shift is weird, right? Some of the other staff already talking behind her back when all she does is staying in the kitchen cleaning the dishes. Yes she got the job thanks to her brother but she isn't her boss' assisstant or anything. Bored people will find anything to gossip to, even about a mere busgirl like her.

"So? Dad said he will be late and I'm planning to stay until dinner. Do you want to stay at home instead?"

"I'll go." She separates the piece of garlic she found to the side of the plate. "Just hope it won't be awkward though."

Joonmyeon smiles as he eats another spoonful of the fried rice. He knows what Sophia meant by that but Jirayu is a cool guy. As long as people do their work and respect each other, he would treat them as his friend, even a new staff like Sophia.

"Oh, oppa!"

He looks up from his plate and at his little sister.

"Did they like my cookies?" Her eyelashes bat as she waits for an answer because she thinks yesterday's batch was the tastiest one she had ever made. She only met them once but she could tell Minseok and Luhan took a very good care of her big brother these past two years and those cookies were a token for that.

"I didn't stay that long. And Luhan hyung got wasted even before the party ends so..." Joonmyeon sees Sophia nod understanding and he takes out his phone from his jeans pocket. "Let me call them and ask."

"What?! No!" Sophia stretches over the dinner table and manages to grab the device from her brother before any embarrassing phone call was made. "Let... let's just wait..." She ignores the small laughter coming from the male. "If they complimented it, tell me. If they didn't, act like nothing happened."

Joonmyeon nods, lips full with smile as he watches his baby sister continue finishing her fried rice. He cooked it just for her but Sophia would have his concern face every time she found out about him skipping his meals so he had to eat with her at time like this. He really does feel full just watching her and their dad eat his food and because the the habit he had developed over the past years doesn't go away that easily.

 

+++++

 

He sees handwaves exchanging a few moments after they stepped into the cafe and Yifan just follows the small back toward one of the tables by the window where a sharp-looking male is standing and waiting for them. Hugs happen between the two and he accepts the handshake being offered to him.

"This is Mr. Lee."

"Yifan." He notices the other's eyes get bigger at his name.

"Oh, I'm finally meeting the infamous fiance. Such a lucky guy, you!"

Yifan fmiles politely as the three of them take a seat. He felt that when he first met her but he is not so sure anymore. The feeling has nothign to do with her, it is just him that couldn't stop complicating himself.

"So, let's us eat first. I am starving!" She raises her hand and starts flipping the menu over after a waitress saw her calling. She loves the food here although not so much with the owner. She looks up at the girl that is ready with her notepad and points at the sandwich set menu. "I'll have this and this..."

Yifan waits as the male in front of him finishes his order before choosing the steak set himself. He nods as a thank you when the waitress collecting back the menu before disappears behind the service counter at the other side of the room. A conversation starts without him and he throws his gaze around the place. He kind of miss eating here.

"Ah, really? You are going to stay here? For how long?"

"Not sure yet, though. Me and Yifan need to find a place first."

Bella's last words get his head turn and he meets with a pair of unwavering eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, of course we could stay with your mum but we shouldn't bother her with our stuff. I found several places that I like but your opinion matters too."

"My apartment complex is nice too. I can give you a tour if you want."

"Oh! That is gre..."

"Stop!" He earns their attention at his burst out. He looks straight at Bella that is sitting beside him and he takes a deep breath. "No. I don't mean about the new place. I am asking about you wanting to stay here. What is that supposed to mean?"

Bella smiles at Yifan's confused face. It is one of the top expressions she likes on him. "Well, you will be staying here, so of course that is include me too."

"I'm here just for a vacation."

"That is not what Grace told me."

He can't help biting his lips at the statement. He loves the older but Grace would make decision for him without consulting him first just to piss off Bella. He has to hold his tongue when the same waitress comes back with their orders and he knows better than trying to have a conversation with her during her meals.

Her ears catch the defeat sigh coming from her side as the corner of her eyes see Yifan start to dig into his food. The only time she is ever thankful to the annoying cousin of the male is at a time like this. She doesn't have to lift a finger when Grace is doing the job of making Yifan dislike her herself. And somehow she could tell that last night's phone call is what will make Yifan finally put an end to this one-sided game that she is winning.

 

+++++

 

The door of the room creaks open and Joonmyeon smiles at the sight of his little sister carrying a tray with a jar of watermelon juice and two glasses. A big piece of the fruit is inside of both glasses and he turns to the person sitting beside him. "Is that a new thing, hyung?"

Jirayu nods eagerly. "You can't get real watermelon juice more than that!" He ignores the younger's scoff before thanking Sophia for her service. "Oh, tell the cook to fry that stuffed onion rings he made yesterday. I know there are leftovers and I won't let him bring htme home."

Joonmyeon sees his sister giggling and nodding at the instruction before she leaves the room and he being left with the owner's place once again. His fingers are busy typing on his laptop as he would like to finish the projct earlier than the dateline given but JIrayu keeps asking him to come to the club with an excuse of 'oversee his work' when he just doesn't like being alone and that is the main reason the project might pass the dateline.

"Joonmyeon."

"Hm?"

"I know final year students are super busy and all and adding the fact that you are doing a side project like this is making you even busier, but would you take another job with this one?" Jirayu watches as the small forehead creases before the sound of the keyboard being hit stops altogether and the younger is sitting straight on the sofa, looking right at him.

"It can't wait until this one finished?" He gets a headshake with a sheepish smile on the sharp face before being poured a glass of the watermelon juice. "Why not?"

"Well, the place wasn't supposed to open for the next three months but something came up and my friend would like to open it by the end of next month."

Joonmyeon's eyes can't help getting bigger at the information as the older trying to distress him by making kicked-puppy face and rubbing his hands. He had planned it all out. After the presentation tomorrow, ha can concentrate on finishing the project and then he can start on his final thesis and everything. Even it is Jirayu, he has to decline.

"Double!"

His mouth closes back at the word.

JIrayu smiles at the attention the younger is giving to him. "He said nothing but I can get you double of what I'm paying you. He's a weak-hearted with golden hands so if I spiced up a little bit, I'm sure I can get even triple the money."

"I am not that greedy, hyung." Joonmyeon pulls his hands from the older's hold. He fixes his gaze at the other. With the payment from his project, he can bring Sophia and their father on a holiday. Adding another payment, possible double, they can go somewhere overseas. "I have final project and thesis to do, hyung."

"I know, I know but my friend asked for my opinion and I mentioned you since I like you the best and he wanted to meet you but I told him I would discuss with you first so here I am, discussing with you and you are about to agree to it, yes?

He is being attacked with that kicked-puppy face again and his eyebags might be reaching the floor after everything is done but a picture of Mickey and Minnie waving at him while standing at the front gate flashes in his mind and he bites down his lower lips, side-eyeing Jirayu. "Double."

"Okay, double! I'm going to call him right now!"

Joonmyeon sighs as his forehead being kissed before the older disappears behind the door with handphone in hand and he sinks into the sofa. Sleepless nights aren't a new thing to him even before becoming a final year student but he has to be careful not to faint in the middle of the hallway this time.

 

+++++

 

"So, let's hear it."

"What?"

"The 'thank you Bella for introducing Mr. Lee to me, we will make a great business partner in the future et cetera et cetera' that regular stuff people say after receiving something from other people."

Grace takes a deep breath as her eyes fixes on the woman in front of her. How did she know she needed someone like tha guy? She never talked about it with Yifan and has been keeping the problem to herself so how?

"It is not like I really want your gratitued but it is basic manners. Or you can show it through Yifan like last time. I perfer that more actually."

Yifan's eyes meet with Bella's round ones before looking down at his thigh that being patted by the small hand. When Grace found out that he managed to get that designer team all because of the other, the older made him pay instead even though he had no involvement in Grace's new project that require the team. Grace told him and it came out between the chats with Bella. He never signed up to be a middleman.

She waits as Grace keeps piercing her with her sharp gaze that never work on her. She has known her as long as she knows Yifan and the woman's first impression was great and the talked they had was nice but then the reason for her and her family were invited to dinner that night being revealed and they never hand a proper conbersation like that again. Not that she misses it or anything. "So, you are going to do it or Yifan again?"

Grace glances at her younger cousin. It was fine last time but the uncomfortable feeling of letting Yifan thanking Bella instead of her this time would eat her up. She doesn't know what made her sit down at the table full with empty plates when she knows the woman never came to her place just to say hi and have lunch. Bella always have something up her sleeves and she can only blame herself when she stayed after that Lee guy introduced himself.

"Bella, I..."

"I will think of something! Don't involve Yifan in this!"

He sighs as he watches Grace stand up and leaving him and Bella alone. Yifan hears the small giggles beside him and he can finally take a breathe before fixing is posture and sitting straight up. His words have never been taken seriously by the two so he doesn't bother to say anything anymore. He glances at his wrist watch that show ten minutes before seven. "Are we done?"

"Yes!" Bella gets up on her feet, flashing a smile at the male. "Since I won, the lunch is on me."

 

+++++