Seventeen

Before All The Longings

 

+++++

 

Joonmyeon can't hide his suprised face when he steps outside the classroom of his last class of the day. The tall figure that he hasn't seen for a while is standing right across the door and is looking at him with an expression he can't read. He only manages to take a step forward when the younger suddenly turns around, leaving him baffled as he continues to walk without looking back at him. "Chanyeol!"

He ignores the call of his name as he keeps shuffling his feet, making his way through the other students that just finished their classes, doesn't really have a destination in mind. He turns a corner but his bag is yanked from behind before he can go any further and immediately being turned around to face the other.

Joonmyeon looks up at the younger that he can't deny he has been missing him all these times. Hanging out with Baekhyun and Joss is fun but being a third-wheeler isn't that much. "What are you doing here?" He gets no answer but Chanyeol just keep their eye contact in place. He purses his lips before sighing, releasing his grip on the toned wrist he was holding and walks by the younger. So, everything is still the same.

"So I am not your friend anymore?"

The words stop him in his track before he turns around to see Chanyeol that is a few steps away has balled his hands into fists. It is small but he still can see the fists trembling as the younger stands still in his place.

"You are not even going to try?! Is that Medic hyung a better friend than me? What did I do that was so wrong that you stopped talking to me altogether?" The other students that are passing by is looking at him but he doesn't care. He needs to know what is so good about that senior that Joonmyeon didn't even bother to look for him anymore.

"Chanyeol."

"It was always me that came looking for you. Am I the only one that think we are still friends?"

Realization hits him as the younger's words enter his ears. He walks closer and takes the big hand, leading him to the park right in front of the building and stops at one of the many empty benches under the trees, away from other people. Chanyeol is still staring at him but unlike earlier, he now can see the loneliness and disappoinment in his gaze.

Chanyeol breathes out when the older steps forwards, leaving only inches between them before he puts his arms around his body, hugging him with his head against his chest.

"I'm sorry."

He feels the little squeeze as Joonmyeon tightens the hug and he purses his lips. He misses this. He would get this when he managed to do or get something that Joonmyeon wanted, like that one premier ticket to that play from a nearby college. It always sold out and the older was so happy when he showed it, hugging and squeezing him in gratitude. But now, the hug is the same but the feeling is different. "Was it that horrible, I didn't hang out with Baekhyun anymore?"

Joonmyeon lets go the younger from his embrace and pulls him to seat on the stone bench. He looks at those big eyes that used to be full with mischievous and sighs. Chanyeol's words made him realized something so obvious but he chose to ignore as he only focused on the new relationship without taking a second glance at the unchangable friendship.

Chanyeol keeps his eyes fixated at this other best friend of his. He tried to make everything like before. He went to see Baekhyun at his school the day after he had breakfast with Joonmyeon. He tried so hard to meet the other's eyes but he just couldn't. He apologized and finally looked up after explaining everything. The unbelievable eyes and pursed lips made him stepped closer, hugging his best friend one last time before leaving him by himself. "I tried... really..."

Joonmyeon reaches for the fisted hands before nodding. Even without the younger telling him anything, he can guess what happened between him and Baekhyun. The tension and looks the two best friends had before might have been jealousy because the feelings they had for each other but it wasn't a romantic one. Maybe it was him that was reading too much into it. He looks at the younger. "Are you hungry? Do you want to get something to eat?"

"I don't have the mood."

"Nonsense. You need something sweet after all that crying."

Chanyeol's eyes widen at the accusation, hands trying to get rid of the evidence quickly. "Who was crying?! What are you talking about?" He ignores the smirk on the older's face as he slings his back ober his shoulder, stading up and preparing to leave. "I am not hungry and definitely wasn't crying and you are the one that insisting to go eat so you are paying for it."

"Yeah, sure."

He waits as Joonmyeon collects his things and walks with him side by side as they head to the parking lot. He glances at the older that has a smile on his face. He misses that smile. After the news broke out two years ago, he and Baekhyun would see a pale and soulless face from afar but the older would immediately has this smile on him the moment their presence was noticed. He hated that smile so much as he hated that person that was causing the smile being forced to appear. "Hyung."

"Hm?"

"Just so you know, my offer two years ago still stans. Just say the word and I..."

Joonmyeon blinks as he tries to make sense what is Chanyeol talking about before he breathes out, looking over his shoulder as the younger has stopped walking and is standing behind him. 'I will beat that person into pulp.' He smiles, thanking the younger inside. "It is fine. It is no use anyway. Now hurry up. We are gonna miss Sophia's shift if we're late."

 

+++++

 

"Who was that guy with Joonmyeon?"

Yifan flips another page of the menu, trying to tune out Bella's curiosity about the relationship of the pair of guys that walked with Sophia almost ten minutes ago. The three were already a few meters away when they reached the front of the shop and if it wasn't for Sophia's familiar figure, he wouldn't recognise the shorter male that acting so closed with the taller one, which he knows that isn't that 'Joss' guy.

"Chanyeol. A friend, he said." Harit smiles as he pours the batter on the waffle iron. He was curious too when he saw the taler was teasing and joking with Sophia when he stepped out of his office. He really doesn't know Joonmyeon't other friends other than Jirayu so to see a friend of the male that is even Sophia is closed too made him want to know more.

Bella takes a whiff at her pancake that Harit has switched to and is cooking on the other side of the counter before staring up at the male. Her stomach is hungry for the food and her brain is hungry for more information about the guy. The smile Harit has on him doesn't really convince her. "Are you sure they are just friends? They looked so... like, super close."

"Well, Joonmyeon said he is a friend, so I believe him."

"Then, it is a good news for you!"

Yifan keeps his eyes on the menu that a server left him even after he had placed his orders. He just now have to find a way to use it to cover his ears from hearing anymore about that male without being conspicuous.

"What do you mean?" Harits stares at the pretty face in front of him. The woman is looking at him with sparkly eyes.

"You should tell him how you feel before any more 'friend' pop up unannouned." Bella watches the suprised face disappear as soon as it appear. A small smile form on those thin lips as a pair of hands busy finishing her pancake order.

"It is that obvious, huh?'

Yifan glances silently at the male as he sips his water. It is so obvious that the only reason other people never mention it probably because they are pretty sure the other perty knows it too. He watches from the corner of his eyes as the two people hold the gaze between them.

"Do you want my help?"

Harit places the lady's pancake in front of her, the smile never left his face. "You are late, though." The confuse face doesn't make Bella less prettier and he stares straight at her. Even with anyone's help, he already didn't have a chance.

"You already confessed to him?"

"Not exactly. I just can tell by the way he treat and look at me that I can never be more than just his friend. My stance according to him probably the same as that Chanyeol guy and I am fine with that."

His order of a plate of waffles is being placed in front of him and Yifan mouths a quiet than you to the server and starts eating in silence, ears picking up every words that are coming from the two people about that certain Korean male. How one is saying the other should really tell him his feeling while the other replaying with how his guts telling him the person already has someone he likes.

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Well, maybe like sixty, sixty-five percents? I just can sense it from him."

He takes another bite of his waffles, his brain is busy working to process everything. So, they weren't together in the first place and it is just one-sided love on his part. Does he know about Baekhyun?

"I wonder who that is. Maybe I can ask him later." Bella cuts a small piece of the fluffy pancake and puts it into , smiling at Harit that is looking at her. "It is delicious like always!"

"Why, thank you."

"Do you do events and stuff because I would love to have this at my wedding."

"I have never thought about that..." Harit blinks repeatedly as he watches the lady enjoying his food and her previous words finally sink in. "You are going to get married?!" He earns a big nod and turns to the Chinese male that is almost finished his waffles. "Congratulation!"

Yifan glances at the direction of the voice and gives the male a curt nod when their eyes meet. He and Bella are going to get married and it is a good thing. It will be a good thing.

"When is the date? For you, I think I can try catering for a wedding. It will be a new experience!"

"We haven't found a good date yet but probably in these couple of months. Our parents leave everything to us and if it's according to me, we probably already married yesterday but Yifan has a saying in this too so we are taking it slowly. Right, dear?" Bella turns to see the male's expression and the small smile and nod that being directed at no one doesn't really satisfy her but it is better than that night at the family dinner.

"If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask. Oh, are you going to make your own wedding dress?"

"I thought about that but I might rushing it and it would turn out ad so the answer is no. I found a few shops but Yifan hasn't found one for his suit."

"I can ask around if you want."

"Oh, that would be great, right, Yifan?"

Yifan looks at the two pairs of eyes that are waiting for his answer. He sees an expecting expresstion on the male's face before glancing towards the hopeful smile on Bella's. The wedding has occupied his mind and he hasn't been thinking about the Korean male because of it. He gives the two the most sincere smile he could manage and nods at the suggestion. The wedding will solve everything.

 

+++++

 

Joonmyeon smiles softly as he takes a seat beside Minseok, ignoring Luhan's pouty face as he was patting the empty space beside him telling him to sit with him. He glances slightly to see the other Chinese male in the room and holds their gazes before the taller looks away seconds later. He has been trying to find a reason to meet him and a call from Luhan earlier told him he couldn't find a better time.

"So, since Joonmyeon is finally here, let's get the bachelor party started!"

He watches as Luhan twirls around a the front of the room before walking towards his husband, pulling him up and lead both of them back to the front, handling the cordless mic to Minseok.

"Here, please say a few words to your best friend that will be ending his single, miserable life to start a beautiful and cheerful one in a few months! I hope."

Minseok giggles at the you-are-dead look Yifan is giving Luhan before clearing his throat, eyes meeting with his best friend. "I'm going to save the heart-touching ones for the wedding so tonight, I just want to congratulate you for the wedding. I was shocked when I first heard about Bella but you guys have been holding on for almost three years so I am really happy about this. Please treat her well or I will come for you, and it won't be pretty."

Joonmyeon looks from the corner of his eyes and sees a big smile on the taller's face, the kind of smile he would see every time he and Minseok are together. He had doubt before, as he watched how the taller treat Minseok, but then news about the arranged married broke out and he saw the love the Chinese male has for his best friend is just that of a friend to another. He was wrong about them before and now he was wrong about Chanyeol and Baekhyun too. He should just stop guessing other people's love life.

"Now I..."

"Okay, thank you. I really appreciate it." Yifan cuts his friend's words and starts pressing numbers on the square remote, smiling cheekily as a song starts and Luhan can't continue his speech. It probably was full with diss too so it is way better this way. "Now, sing!"

Luhan turns around towards the big screen television and sees a girl group at the back of the title track. It is his song but only the drunk him can nailed the dance perfectly and Yifan knows this. He grits his teeth looking at Yifan. He barely had a glass but he knows the taller won't move on before he is satisfied. "Cursees you, Yifan!"

Yifan smiles as Luhan starts singing with Minseok accompanying him. He watches as the two lovebirds goofing around before letting out a sigh. He had convinced himself that the wedding will make everything better and telling his friends about it is the first step before everything else. He had expected them throwing him this kind of party considering Luhan being who he is but definitely not this soon, a few hours later after the call about the wedding. He purses his lips. And definitely not expecting the Korean male would be joining too.

"This is for Bella! 'You could do so much better~ Just kick him to the curb and find another~'"

Minseok smacks Luhan's arm lightly before leaving his husband as he continues singing and returning to the sofa, taking a seat on the empty side of it. He pours a shot and slides over to his junior that is watching Luhan with amusement. "Joonmyeon."

The off-pitch voice coming from his front lets him hear the soft voice calling his name clearly and Joonmyeon turns to face his senior, eyes following the older's arm down until he sees the small glass of shot.

"It is a happy occasion. Let's celebrate it. You too, Yifan."

He watches as Minseok offering the same glass of shot to the Chinese male before he takes it and holds it in the air. He sees Minseok doing the same thing too and he lifts up his own shot glass when Minseok gesturing him to follow along. Three glasses bump against each other and he takes a big gulp of the alcohol. It burns his inside a little as he really doesn't drink such a strong liqour but like Minseok said, it is a happy occasion so he can make an exception.

"Why are you guys toasting without me?!" Luhan lunges himself towards his junior and pushes Joonmyeon to the side, pouring everyone's shot glass with another drink before lifting his own in the air. He meets with his husband's pretty eyes and smiles when Minseok raises his glass too. "To Yifan!"

"To Yifan!"

"To Yifan."

"To me!" Yifan drinks and swallows hard before letting out a big satisfied sigh, hooded eyes watching Luhan giving the mic to the youngest person in the room and pushing him to go to the front and sing. He takes a deep breath as he tries to get rid of the little buzziness that is started to occupy his mind and focuses at the small male that is standing between the big screen and the table. The title isn't familiar to him but he had heard the melody before and rolling his eyes at Luhan that is dancing beside Minseok.

"You up next!"

He shakes his head at Luhan's suggestion but Minseok is pulling him up to stand before locking their arms together, fingers punching in numbers on the giant remote and cutting short the previous performance. The sly look on his best friends face as the screen loads the new song is making him nervous and his fear comes true when a bunch of pink sharks appeareee before him. "No way!"

"Yes way!" Luhan smiles evilly as he helps his husband pushing their tall friend to the frot, gesturing to Joonmyeon to give the microphone to Yifan as he holds him in place. "You are not going anywhere!"

Joonmyeon steps back and settles himself on the empty sofa, watching in amaze at the three friends wrestling with each other with the children song as the background music. Luhan has his arms around the long legs and Minseok keeps bringing the microphone up against the taller's mouth. He barely hang out with the three of them like this in the past but this is the most happy face he has seen on the taller since he knew him. He hopes the things he is about to tell him will do the same.

"Dang it, Luhan! Get off me already!" Yifan tries to free his legs for the millionth times before the small arms finally let him go and he quickly moves to the side, legs almost tripping each other but glads that he manage to land on the sofa instead of the floor. He shakes his head at the sight of the married couple that has started singing some love song song and turns to the table to look for something to drink, before realizing he is sitting just inches away from the unexpected guest.

"Congratulation on your wedding."

The loud music barely lets him hear anything else but the distance between him and the other male allows every words to enter his ears easily. He nods as a reply, hand grabbing the nearest empty glass and tall bottle and pours himself some of the alcoholic drinks.

"It is just like that night."

The statement makes him whip his head to the side, gulping hard the liquid in his mouth as he stares straight at this loose-mouth next to him. What the heck is he trying to do? Why is he suddenly mentioning 'that' night? He grits his teeth, eyes never left the calm face. "What do you want? If you..."

Joonmyeon shakes his head, stopping the Chinese male from finishing his sentence as he looks at the taller gently. It's not his attention to hide this fact from him. It is just they weren't even that close in the first place and he has stopped seeing the male after 'that' night with him moving out from the dorm and all. Adding with what had befallen him afterwards, he just doesn't care about it anymore.

"What are you..."

He moves closer, leaving almost no gap between their bodies and whispers against the older's ear. Maybe it is better if the Chinese male still clueless about it but somehow he feels that it is partially his fault that Bella doesn't get the love she deserved from the male. He hopes with this revelation, the two would have a beautiful life together without the male constantly hating on him.

Yifan stops breathing altogether, as the younger moving away from him before their gazes collide and the words that just entered his senses slowly sink in. His eyes sees the Korean male standing up and leave, the singing stops for a moment before his ears catch the faint sound of the door being shut closed. He blinks, processing those soft spoken words again and breathes out. Nothing happened that night. Nothing.

 

+++++