Puppy Promise

Tiny Treasures
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Or the time Haneul wanted a twin sister for her birthday


Naeun watched her daughter who was laying on her back on the carpeted floor and walking her feet up the wall as she sang to herself. She had to hold back laughter at the random lyrics Haneul was stringing together as a way to entertain herself while she waited for her eomma to finish preparing the snacks they were gonna bring for their picnic.

"Aegi, your birthday's coming up. Have you thought of what you want to get?" she asked as she moved around the counter to get a better look at the little girl.

Haneul tipped her head back against the floor and looked at her eomma with wide eyes, a smile spreading across her face as she nodded.

"What? A new game? Book? Doll?" she listed her guesses as she moved to grab the loaves of bread from the top shelf.

"Nope!" Haneul exclaimed, rolling over to stumble around so she could get up on her knees and then her feet so she could skip towards her eomma. "A twin sister!"

Naeun snapped her attention to her, forgetting about the plastic she was opening as she looked at her excited daughter. Quickly trying to decide how to let her down gently, she chewed on her bottom lip and shook her head. “Is there anything else you'd like?"

Her daughter wrapped her tiny arms around her eomma's legs and gave her a tight squeeze. "I only want that, Eomma. I wanna be like Seoah and Seoyeon at school!”

Abandoning the sandwiches she was gonna make, Naeun grabbed her daughter's hand and knelt down so they were face to face. “Aegi, Seoah and Seoyeon were born at the same time. They were both in their eomma’s tummy together. That's how twins are,” she explained gently. “Haneul was in eomma's tummy alone. So I'm sorry, aegi but you can't have a twin sister,” she said, running her fingers through the little girl's hair in an effort to comfort her.

Haneul looked down and Naeun sighed. “But, aegi, you don’t know maybe someday you’ll have a little sister, but I don’t think it will be on your birthday. I’m sorry, my love,” she said, softly kissing her cheek before standing up.

Looking up at her eomma, she furrowed her brow and gave her a look of disappointment. “But, Eomma, that’s what Haneul wants!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter