The Betrayer

There She Was
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona asked Yunho and Shige to try find what happened to the all the maids and butlers. They both ran in opposite directions into the forest, hoping to find some clues to the mass disappearance. Sakura was in a deadly state, not letting anyone come near me in fear for that person may be the mole. Sunmi and Hyewon were told to stay outside and keep watch with Mina and Sana watching over them.

Meanwhile, Yoona led the rest of us inside, Sakura keeping a tight hold on my hand. I didn’t complain, I felt as though I really needed her intimacy to stay grounded in a dangerous situation like this. It was as Mina said. Everything was as I remembered it to be. Nothing out of the ordinary, in fact, it looked even cleaner since the last time I was here. An alien abduction? That wouldn’t be very surprising considering I found out there were more than just humans out there.

Still, I found it very strange how there was no hints to where the maids and butlers could’ve gone. They were all vampires, they had the ability to fight back and they were all loyal to this mansion. So that begs the question, did they betray the household? Or were they kidnapped against their will?

‘’Mother, this home isn’t safe for Chaeyeon. This isn’t safe for us either.’’

‘’Don’t you think I know that?’’ Yoona snapped at her daughter but instantly softened and ran her hands through her luscious hair. ‘’I’m sorry. I know it isn’t but no where is safe anymore. The best option is for Chaeyeon to stay near all of us. At least we can offer some protection. Hitomi, Nako, will you please make sure the mansion is completely empty? Search everywhere again.’’

The two of them bowed and excused themselves, one going upstairs and the other going down respectively. Yoona picked an old picture frame on top of the fireplace, she looked at it lovingly and put it down again. It was a family picture. Yoona and Sakura were sat on the beautiful velvet chairs while Chanyeol, Sunmi and a blurred-out figure (who I assume is Sakura’s father) was standing behind them, hands clasped in front, proper and elegant. Sakura did mention that their father died 50 years ago to werewolves and that Yoona didn’t keep any legible photos of him for personal reasons. A likely possibility that seeing his face was too painful to bear. I couldn’t blame her, I could understand why she didn’t want to see his face anymore. It was the easiest way to move on with life.

I quietly looked at Sakura, who was busy watching her mother’s every move. The way her eyes were so focused made her even more attractive. Her jaw, I could see the muscles clenching underneath the skin every second or so. She was tense. Her red lips were thin, like they were holding back a million words.

Those were just small things, but it made me fall for her more. How attentive she was. Shes by no means perfect. Shes temperamental and she can be a real pain in the to deal with sometimes, but it made her who she is. And who she is, is what I love.

If she died… I don’t know what I would do.

We spent a bit more time standing in silence. Yoona in her own little world, probably questioning what was happening right underneath her nose. Sakura and I kept a few strides away from her, just watching her move about in the living room, inspecting every little detail until Nako and Hitomi came back with news.

‘’Nothing is out of place. No one is hiding anywhere, its just our scent that covers this whole building.’’ We all flinched when Yoona let out a low growl and crushed the antique glass she was holding. Now I knew where Sakura’s temper came from.

Before the vampire queen could get any angrier, Yunho and Shige came running in at unbelievable speeds and kneeled before her. Their hair was messy from sprinting in the wind outside and their outfits were covered in twigs that were caught.

‘’My queen, I have devastating news.’’ Yunho was out of breath, something I thought I would never see. His eyes were dotting around the room in furious speeds, unable to make eye contact with the mighty woman before him.

‘’Out with it.’’

Shige was the one to finish their report, Yunho was too tired and maybe even too shook with what they came bearing. ‘’I’m afraid that all the maids and butlers were found dead in a pit 40 miles away from here. They all had one wolf bite to the neck, no further struggle was detected in their clothing or body. They must’ve been ambushed and drugged.’’

‘Vampires can get drugged?’ I thought to myself.

‘’Vampires can get drugged if the chemicals are strong enough.’’ Sakura answered as if she read my thoughts clearly. ‘’No survivors?’’

Yunho looked down as his eyes threatened to drop tears. ‘’No, princess. None.’’ His answer was sort and quick. Like ripping a band-aid. He was in a lot of pain. Those maids and butlers were raised by his own care, they were like his children. And to come home to find them all slaughtered. This was devastating.

Shige herself was looking depressed, there must’ve been friends she was close with in that group. Or maybe she felt guilty that she only got away because Sakura had conveniently demanded for her to be by our sides in Seoul while all of this happened.

My own hands were shaking at that news. This was terrifying and it made Yoona livid. My head turned up to see Yoona sweeping her long hands across a shelf of expensive silverware, they all went crashing down onto the ground and broken pieces scattered all over the floor. We were all to scared or emotional to react properly. Hitomi and Nako kept quiet in the corner, hugging each other for comfort. Yunho didn’t even move a single inch even when pieces of glass scrapped by his face and hands. His face was stained with tears, he silently heaved in agony on the spot. The sight made us all break down. The stoic head butler and his walls crashing down with a simple whimper coming out of his mouth.

This was a nightmare.

Yoona’s chest emitted a loud and frightening sound, one that even Sakura flinched to. ‘’I’LL KILL THEM. I WON’T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS.’’ Her face was dark, and her eyes were full of fury. I instinctively went behind Sakura and clenched at the back of her coat for some sort of protection.

Sakura knew I couldn’t take being around her mother anymore and swept me up in her arms and blurred us upstairs into her room. Even upstairs, we could hear her perfectly clear as she declared how she would kill all the wolves for doing what they did and not sparing any one of them.

My heart trembled for Eunbi’s safety and hope that she would be exempt from this.

I never imagined the werewolves being this cold-hearted, but it proved that they were willing to do anything to gain the upper hand for victory.

‘’You should try get some sleep. You haven’t slept for very long.’’ Sakura said softly as she closed the blinds and a small dim light beside her bed.

‘’I’m too afraid.’’ I whispered. I sat on the bed regardless and hid my face in my hands as I tried to keep myself from breaking down. A lot of people were slaughtered because of me. They all died because the wolves wanted my blood. This was all my fault.

Sakura came around and I felt her kneel, untying my shoes and taking them off for me. She pried my hands off by the wrists and looked straight into my swollen eyes. ‘’This isn’t your fault. You’re a victim of this. They won’t hate you because of this.’’

‘’B-but I-‘’

‘’They know better than that.’’ She guided m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter