Time In (Part 1)

Through Her Eyes (2Yeon)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nothing says peaceful relaxation and releasing toxins from your body like an evening jog to the park. Kookeu clandestinely appeared to agree with the activity. Nayeon needed to think of something to do since her classes finished earlier than expected due to the professor's stomach flu that apparently need "immediate attention." She didn't want to be cramped up in the dorm. Even Suzy was out with her own friends.

Immediately, Kookeu sprung up from the couch when Nayeon thought out loud about jogging to the park for some fresh air. The dog wanted to get up and go so he pushed the notion by barking loudly and running to fetch his leash. Head held up high and nose sticking up in the air, Kookeu presented the leash to Nayeon.

On a stool that was stuck to the ground sat Nayeon who was lost in thought. She had her hand on top of her chin, another leg rested on the second stool in front of her. Glancing down at a white figure, she was amused to see Kookeu with the leash in his mouth, wagging his tail, pumped up to go out to the park.

"Kookeu, you're a genius, boy." Nayeon leaned down to take the leash from him, smiling delightedly.

One of Nayeon's favorite things to do before ending the day was to take a jog in the local park during her high school years. What's funny was that she couldn't figure out where she was even going since she was blind. She chuckled at the memory.

Damn, I was really a blind girl just walking through.

Bringing back that specific memory also triggered something else from her past. She instantly frowned, feeling a knot form in her stomach. She couldn't think of such a thing right now and she shouldn't.

She needed her mind to be clear, and to be able able to face whatever may happen the day after It made her appreciate the simple things in life a lot more. Jogging in the park during early hours opens up opportunities to see different scenes and portraits and open up Nayeon's mind to a new perspective.

It wasn't that she took seeing for granted. Even when she couldn't see, when she stopped sulking and feeling sorry for herself, she learned how precious life could be.

Entering the park, a slight breeze rustled the leaves making them fall to the solid ground one by one. The sun began to set, putting most of the tired sleepers down. Flowers were vast, and they concealed the freshly cut green grass. There are sun-colored daisies, vivid purple lilies, carrot tinted hydrangeas, and cotton candy pink hyacinths.

The pathway was nothing more than dirt littered with random rocks. The ground, moist from the night before, causes my footing to slip, keeping Nayeon on her toes.

There was a white picket fence that runs along the trail, reminding her of the one running along Marilla and Matthew's property in the movie, Anne of Green Gables. The park was barren except for an elderly couple feeding the ducks and a couple of fellow joggers breathing in the fresh morning air.

Nayeon watched them for a few minutes before continuing on her way with Kookeu. He slowed down when she slowed down, and he sped up when Nayeon started to move faster, loosely pulling the leash along.

Walking by the minute green and brown tinted pond, the milky white, soft feathered ducks could be heard a block away as they quacked and battled for the food being thrown for them. The elderly couple, dressed in their black silk slacks and crème colored matching sweaters, watched in amusement as they were the ones causing all the excitement.

Behind the oddly shaped rocks and algae in the pond, orange, red, and yellow fish dart back and forth. They only come out of hiding when minuscule hints of bread began to fall. Nayeon caught a glimpse of something hiding. If she looked closely enough, she could see a turtle, colored forest green, blending in with the algae.

Beyond the pond lied the lonely playground. The brick red jungle gym sat there in its solitude, longing for some eager company. In between parts of the jungle gym was the bridge to partake in children's fantasies from battling trolls, or patrolling the fort.

An ugly putrid brown covered it, and it was obvious that the screws were becoming unhinged, and it was only so long before it came crashing down. The swings rocked gently, and the sound of the metal rubbing together could be heard. Orange and bright in color, the swirl shaped slide echoed the bellied laughs and shrilly screams of children who had dared to go down the slide.

The merry-go-round, an orange red color with splashes of blue across the edges, was still like a parked car. No one was there to move it or spin it; There were no bursts of laughter or tears for when someone fell off and scraped their knee.

The park did offer a variety of scenery for Nayeon to see, which made the jog more worthwhile. She had to search up directions to the nearest park before memorizing the whole route before coming here. Everywhere in the park, there were noisy that belonged to animals or objects that floated in the wind or rolled on the ground. She could hear them with every step she took.

Still, there's nothing really important about this day. Jeongyeon went back to texting her regularly with the same tone and inducement since the first day. Already used to her typically aberrant behavior, Nayeon didn't dwell on this when things went back to normal. Instead, she pretended like nothing was bothering her and they carried on with usual conversations. Nayeon went along with her walk down the ashen walkway. Kookeu just bobbed up and down, his nose nipping from the chilly air.

From the corner of her eye, she noticed a girl with platinum blonde haired girl walking her dog. Her coat dropped all the way down to her feet, almost hiding it and made it look like she was floating. Right away, Nayeon recognized who she was. She was a girl who sat two rows behind her in Trigonometry. Until now, Nayeon was still observant as ever.

Nayeon saw her every weekday sitting on the same bench in that little park, reading a book while her albino beagle yapped with the other dogs. Or occasionally, she would be writing something on a little college-ruled notebook that changed color every day she held it.

Somedays her hair was up in one of those top-buns out of her way; others, she had it down over her shoulders, but it still did not look like she put too much effort into it. There were a few other regulars there in the park that Nayeon would easily recognized—some sweet older couples out for the air, parents making sure that their kids were spending some time away from the iPad every day—but none of them were intriguing to Nayeon and they didn't caught her like as much as she did, and so she paid them little mind. Since they also shared a common interest—walking their dog—Nayeon always took note of the girl.

On this day, her hair was down and her book was out. Nayeon couldn't make out the title, but the cover was a deep blue with some pointed white and orange blob in the middle. She didn't read much, so Nayeon never put too much thought into what the girl had in her hands beyond its utility. Yet this one intrigued Nayeon.

Each lap around she discreetly tried to look more closely at its title while still maintaining an innocent air of disinterest. Not that it mattered: in a year and a half months living in this city, jogging around this park, and glancing at her enjoying her various literary activities, she and Nayeon had yet to make eye contact with each other, let alone say hello.

On her second-to-last lap, when Nayeon was rounding for the last leg of it around 80 meters from her, the girl stood up to leave. Nayeon thought this was strange, since she was always there when she left.

She grabbed her dog's leash and called out "Silvia!"

Instantly Nayeon heard the jingling of a collar and the tapping of nails on concrete behind her. She peered back at the little beagle behind her, and she felt a little pit in her stomach that both excited and terrified her.

Nayeon had always admired her from off to the side, from this little concrete path. She wanted to be her friend or that's what she thought she wanted. Suddenly, though, she had the opportunity to say something, to strike up a conversation. Who knows where this could go?

50 meters now. Nayeon slowed a little, in part because s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter