Come My Way

Through Her Eyes (2Yeon)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bell ringing, signaled all the workers to continue whatever they were doing. That indication made a switch in their brain to start working and get things done. If they didn't work hard enough, their paycheck would not be handed to them so easily. The pizza company strive to get where they are now and every day meant business to them. That's how Jeongyeon, along with her coworker who became one of her closest friends Chaeyoung, survived on each and every day.

 

Just a couple of minutes ago, Jeongyeon was sitting in the employees' lounge, watching a movie on the flatscreen and waiting for orders from Chaeyoung, who managed the front desk and answered phone calls. Jeongyeon did the driving since she had her license before Chaeyoung did.

 

Her and Jeongyeon were a dynamic duo, No Jam Bros. They decided to call themselves that because they were always seen hanging out and making jokes that were deemed lame by others who didn't understand. The pair had inside jokes with each other that no one else caught up with, receiving comments like "uncool," "confusing," and "lame." Their loud and obnoxious laughter could be heard from the front house by their coworkers. That was part of their work routine.

 

Chaeyoung was wiping down the counter for the fifth time. The red surface was already a glossy scarlet, almost pink, and she could practically see her reflection in it. She didn't have anything else to do than busy herself by counting the straw box or handling the cash register. They've only been there for a few

 

The manager watched their every move like a hawk. As long as she was around then everyone suddenly had a task to do, moving around as if they had ants up their pants.

 

On her third round of wiping down the counter, the phone finally rang. Chaeyoung dropped the cloth and picked up the phone, speaking in a welcoming tone.

 

"Hey there. Welcome to Dominoes Pizza. Where your pizza is always fresh. It's what we do best. How may I help you?"

 

The person on the other line could barely be heard from the booming music in the background. His tone was loose and carefree like he was high. He had to shuffle through piles of clutter to get to a quieter area in the house.

 

"I-I'm sorry, sir. You're a bit off. Could you speak a little louder for me?"

 

Chaeyoung raised her voice a bit, holding the phone to her ear and pressing it to her face. The harder she did so, the louder the music seemed to be getting and the fainter the guy's voice became. She let out the smallest groan she could, hoping even the guy was having trouble hearing her.

 

"I said that I want twenty-five cheese boxes. You alright, dude?"

 

The guy laughed to his joke, convincing himself that it was funny. But he was too up there to make sense of anything.

 

Chaeyoung groaned internally, having to hold it in to not allow the guy to hear her dissatisfaction and rolled her eyes instead. She pulled an uneasy and sarcastic smile to ease herself.

 

"What's your address?"

 

"780 Fordham Avenue."

 

"Alright. Thank you."

 

"Be there or be square, bro." Laughing again at his tasteless comment, the guy hung up before Chaeyoung could react.

 

She saved the reaction for later and whipped out a paper, grabbed the pen that was hanging on her collar and wrote down the order. She turned around, pinned the paper to the board and yelled out the order.

 

Jeongyeon had the easiest job out of the bunch since she was one of the five drivers. She got to lounge around and watch everyone busy their behinds to make a quick buck. Although given such an advantage, she doesn't rub it in their faces and does some small tasks in the back of the house.

 

They already knew the drill. Right after Chaeyoung put down the phone, it started ringing again. She was going to let her other coworker get it since she and Jeongyeon had pizzas to drop off. Her station was quickly taken over by another worker.

 

"Gahh, Sally. It's your turn!"

 

Chaeyoung didn't wait to see if the redhead was listening to her, exiting the counter in a rush. She scanned the room to find her trusty steed and saw Jeongyeon sitting back on the couch, looking too comfortable than she should be.

 

"Yo, Jeongyeon. Get your up."

 

Jeongyeon wasn't planning on taking Chaeyoung seriously until she looked away from the screen to see her serious expression. She immediately got up and rushed out of the room. The keys to the car were always with her at all times. Pizza-delivering was a serious thing. 

 

After they strapped all the pizza boxes in ten columns, every order separated, the two jumped into the car.

 

Jamming the key into the slot, Jeongyeon asked, turning to look to her right.

   "Jeez, Chaeng. What's up with you?"

 

Chaeyoung threw her seat-belt over in a hurried click and then looked back at Jeongyeon. She sighed, finally realizing her own change of tone.

   "I'm planning on buying Mina a gift and I want the manager to see I've been working extra hard lately in hopes of getting some, ya know.." Pinching her fingers together and rubbing them to indicate cash. "Extra dough."

 

"A gift, huh? It's that serious already."

 

"I've been serious with her since the moment I laid eyes on her," the younger girl announced proudly, an impudent smile on her face that released her left cheek dimple and a hand in her chest to increase the level of brash she was on. 

 

With a nod and loud chuckle after hearing Chaeyoung's profession of admiration, Jeongyeon revved out of the garage and on to the road. After the two argued on what artist to listen to for the first thirty minutes on the road, they agreed on listening to some Russ. It was going to be a long and busy evening for the both of them, especially closing in on spring break.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

His lips melted the cold places of her body, watering every inch, until she was overgrown

 

And now there's a part of him 

Still stuck inside of her —

 

his knotted fingers

like roots around her ribs

his daisies dancing down her spine

pushing up between the vertebrae

and a garden of roses

wilting away in her chest 

 

And how he left constellations 

Shining in the freckles of her skin 

She will never know

 

But there she was, up at night

Tracing them anyway,

Homesick for the places

That were never really her own.

 

Those prepossessing stanzas of consolation sent a tremble down Nayeon's spine. It was like a steaming bullet shot downwards until it stopped somewhere in her lower back. The burning feeling, for some peculiar reason, gave her an essential easement. Because of that burning sensation, it gave distraction from the overwhelming droplets of tears that somehow appeared on her face.

 

Without realizing it while she was listening to the audiobook, Nayeon had cried. There wasn't much, only a few drops. She sniffl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter