You and Me in the sunlight

Through Her Eyes (2Yeon)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The chilly air welcomed the pair of giggling girls as they went on their way down the sidewalk. By this hour, traffics seemed to be slowing down. The amount of passing cars became lesser with each step they took. Mina had her arms hooked with Nayeon's, acting as her main support system while Nayeon navigated her way, nonetheless, with her walking stick in the other hand. It gave her a pleasant feeling, to share her warmth instead of the lingering coldness in the air that wrapped around her body. 

 

Their original plan was to head to the park and venture around, for Nayeon to get some fresh air and clear her head. She would prefer it than driving. Mina insisted that they go together and she would be a substitute for her walking cane but ended up pretentiously becoming her guide. Both girls didn't mind either option. Mina was telling Nayeon about the time Jihyo poured green peas in Tzuyu's bed.

 

"You've got to be kidding me."

 

Nayeon snorted loudly, shifting her head to Mina every few seconds and then straight ahead at the sidewalk.

 

Mina giggled softly, her cheeks spreading wider into a warm gummy smile. She tried to ease her laughter so she could finish with her anecdote.

 

"I really wish I was. But she actually did put peas in her bed. They were dried though. We were having a sleepover and Tzuyu suddenly screamed. I was still brushing my teeth at that time and rushed to see what happened. We ALL laughed. And spent an hour laughing while Tzuyu chased Jihyo with a butcher knife."

 

Feeling her losing breath as she exhaled a boastful howl, Mina clung on to Nayeon's arm. She nearly stumbled with her stepping, making Nayeon the one to push her back up while the two shared more squeals of fun. It was within the back of Nayeon's head that she tried not to appear to wince at the thought of Tzuyu holding a deadly weapon and charging at someone as bubbly and precious as Jihyo.

 

Shaking her head to get the horrendous idea out, Nayeon threw her head back to cast another bellowing laugh. Her spontaneous attitude was contagious, causing Mina to laugh along with her in a glorious cacophony. Their noisy ruckus was reeling in some stares. A man passing by, with his car window down, saw the girls laughing like they were insane and gave them a weird look before turning back to the road. The pair of girls were calming down from yodeling when Mina spotted a woman in a teal tracksuit speed walking with her dog. Something switched on in Mina to give her the mission of petting the dog. She dragged Nayeon down as she stepped in front of the woman, stopping them on the sidewalk.

 

"Hi, miss. Is it alright if we could pet your dog? He's just so cute!"

 

The woman saw no harm in this and briskly nodded her head, her earphones moving along casually. Mina clapped for joy and kneeled down with Nayeon to give the little puppy a good ear scratch. The other girl understood why they had paused and grew eager to pet the dog.

 

   "Hey, boy."

Mina made sure to check beforehand, going behind the little dog's ears to scratch. He barked happily, waving his head around to rotate the areas for Mina to get.

    "Look. I'm gonna make it simple for you."

She noticed the little dog's technique and smiled brightly from ear to ear, wallowing in how adorable he was. Reaching up with her other hand, she used it to grab Nayeon's hand and place it on the puppy's back.

 

   "He's so soft."

Nayeon beamed excitedly, rubbing the dog's back with her hand like a brush. Mina saw the look of joy on her face. She couldn't help but smile admiringly at that.

 

Looking down and watching the two together, the woman gave the two a sweet smile. She glanced at her watch and had to cut the girl's petting session a bit short.

 

Mina showed the puppy a pouty face. She lightly kissed him on the nose.

   "See you later, boy ."

 

Taking Nayeon's arm away and standing up, Mina waved a hand at the dog. He gave an upset whine, the wagging of his tail slowing down a bit.

 

Directing her attention away from her whining puppy, the woman looked at Mina who smiled at once again, thanking her for giving them the time of day.

    "You and your girlfriend should get a dog together if you haven't already."

 

At the mention of that, Mina's smiled fragilely dropped, her face muscles twitching from the sudden release. She knew extremely well that Nayeon heard that. Mina tensed up, the grip on Nayeon's arm loosened. With a nervous chuckle, Mina gave the woman an apprehensive look.

 

"Oh. Sh-she's not..umm.."

 

Mina's cheeks filled up with a rosy color, her smile unwavering. She tried to find the words to end her claim but all she could do was stand there while a complete stranger stared at her weirdly. That was a good enough answer for the woman before smiling again and proceeding to move with her dog. That gave Mina the motive to get going to the park, where Nayeon usually goes. She tugged Nayeon's arm, who followed giddily, feeling rejuvenated after petting the puppy. Her weak knees slightly gave in, stumbling into Mina's arms.

 

   "Be careful!"

Mina called out in concern, scrambling to hold Nayeon upright like she was a wobbling drunk. Nayeon felt awful, bowing her head as she apologized. She didn't wanna be anymore of an inconvenience to Mina, but the other girl didn't see a problem with wanting to keep her company.

 

"Sorry, Minari. I'm such a ditz."

   Shaking her head and turning down Nayeon's apology, Mina gave her a cheerful grin before looking ahead of them.

 

"You just got up way to quick. It's my fault for pulling you up so fast."

 

They two girls were only able to take a couple of steps when a white van came around the corner. Mina instantly perked up, shaking Nayeon furiously with their arms still interlocked. This could be the perfect cover up to take the other girl's mind off from whatever she heard back there from the woman.

 

"Nayeon! There's an ice cream truck! Do you want some?"

Mina turned her head, bouncing up and down like a child on a sugar high. She secretly wanted Nayeon to say yes. Out of habit, Mina squeezed Nayeon's arm, somehow affecting her decision. 

 

Ice cream? In this weather? I guess I could for it some since Mina seems to really want to.

 

Nayeon lifted her shoulders up to give one slow and nonchalant shrug. She would rather have Mina make all the decisions than for Nayeon to tell her what to do. It made her feel less of a pain and more like a follower. Mina's soft smile was soon replaced by a puzzled stare as she saw the ice cream truck pass the entrance of the park. She needed to think fast. Inch by inch, the white dessert vehicle was leering farther away from the pair. 

 

"Nabongs! Meet me at the gate. I'm gonna go catch that van."

 

Mina's eyes lit up with determination, assertive to be successful on the tiny quest she created. Nayeon was unsure whether to cancel on getting ice cream. Before she could protest, Mina had already released their arms and was running down the sidewalk.

 

"Wha-Mina?!"

 

She could still hear Nayeon's voice calling out to her but it only fueled her. Although Mina's never had a thirst for adventure, chasing after an ice cream truck was out of reach from her comfort zone. Picking up the pace, as much as her penguin legs could carry, Mina flapped one arm in the air. Luckily, the driver wasn't distracted and easily saw her flailing around. He peacefully parked on the side and opened the truck's window.

 

"Ahh, hello there. Sorry to have chased you all the way since the park."

 

Mina could barely say a word without needing to strongly inhale several times. Her steps decreasing as she looked up at the friendly man smiling down at her. Putting a heavy arm on the counter, Mina hoisted her body up to get a better look.

 

"In that case, I'll have one..."

 

 

 

 

"Nayeon! I got it!"

 

Her excited squeal made Nayeon break away from her unsettling thoughts, stopping herself from drawing random things on the ground with her foot. Mina saw the other standing by the gates, waving her walking stick from side to side. She brightened when she was reminded of her tiny motive to get the ice cream. Nayeon held her hand out, awaiting the cold treat to fill her palms. Mina handed it to her with a bright smile, getting right to the dripping sides of her cone before it melted any further.

 

"What did you get me?"

 

Grasping the spoon in her hand, surprised that Mina gave her one. She poked into the desert, scooping up a giant spoonful. Her whole body froze over, the shape of her eyes stretching with pure shock.

 

   "Mocha pan fried ice cream."

By the time Mina finished her sentence, she was already half way finished with her own.

   "To be extra. I asked for toppings. Oreo bit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter