Fluttering Feelings

Through Her Eyes (2Yeon)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just as Mina had dreamed about, Nayeon's lips felt exactly like they would be; soft bubblegum clouds, as if they were made from the heavens. Even though it was one simply kiss, no movement, only two lips pressing against each other so lightly, Mina's stomach was churning animatedly. When her feet finally reached the ground and her head was clear, Mina opened her eyes and pulled back, feeling embarrassed. Her cheeks burned a bright red, shaking her head to look anywhere but Nayeon's directions. She could feel her stare, heavily.

 

Nayeon fell a few inches back, her head facing away from Mina's way. As much as the kiss was originally supposed to throw her off, it didn't dawn on her how  unaffected Nayeon was. Mina, on the other hand, was petrified by her actions, her mind racing at what Nayeon would say or do. She hoped it wasn't as bad as she thought, recalling that Nayeon didn't shove her off. If only she could look into her eyes and know then what she was feeling.

 

"N-Nayeon, I'm so sorry."

 

Mina's words, however, weren't partially true. In fact, she was smitten over the kiss. Knowing what it was like to have your first love's lips on yours. Mina got to experience that for the first time. 

 

After how many long hellish minutes, thinking Nayeon wasn't going to budge, she cracked a soft smile. Pointing her gaze to the direction of Mina's voice.

 

"It was nice."

 

Although using such a redundant word with little importance because of its vagueness, to Mina, it was like her breath was blown away. That wasn't the reaction that she envisaged; there was more disgust and scorn written all over Nayeon's face from how she imagined. Nevertheless, Mina was prepared for the worst.

 

"Did you feel anything?"

 

Mina knew she had told to lie. But the reason for it was ambiguous; was it to convince Nayeon or herself?

 

"Well..No."

 

Turning her head away, shamefully. The heat in her cheeks continued to burn brightly. She squeezed her eyes shut, in discomfort, tugging on the bottom of her sweater as she whined silently to herself.

 

Nayeon could only smile at how easily her tone changed.

 

    "I may be blind, Mina.." Pausing, Nayeon tried to come up with more, but nothing was coming through.

    "Well, that's it. I am blind so please be honest with me."

 

   "I'm not ly-"

Mina huffed our, scrunching her eyebrows together as the lock on her jaw tightened. 

 

"I can hear the shakiness in your voice."

 

As much as Mina would want to deny her inevitable crush on Nayeon, she really couldn't. For the sole purpose of letting go, Mina had to accept that she liked Nayeon, but that they couldn't be anything more than that.

 

While trying to air out a response, Mina precisely handpicked every word she was about to say. Her confession to Nayeon, more like a proclamation of closure.

 

"I've really liked you for some time, Nayeon. Since freshmen year, to be specific. I took Tzuyu to the nurse's office because she got into another fight and we passed by the practice room and you were there singing something. I couldn't stay long because I had to take Tzuyu first but I came back after she went back to class. And ever since, I've done whatever to take small glances of you but never had the courage to talk to you until a few weeks ago before the auditions. I'm really glad that we got to be closer, Nayeon. You make me feel warm and so comfortable."

 

Mina was a rambling mess at that point. Immediately, her hands flew to her face, covering it as she squealed. She felt sheepish after saying it, not wanting to move from where she sat.

 

Hardly any seconds had passed and Nayeon was quick to absorb Mina's words, despite the bit of mumbling and whispers in between. She completely understood it all, acknowledging how Mina felt was like a stepping stone to understanding her own feelings. Lifting her head up, Nayeon gave Mina an assuring smile.

 

"Thank you for telling me this, Mina. I'm sorry that I can't return your feelings since I'm very unsure of my own. I'm just a mess right now and I do appreciate you being there for me. You need to find someone who not only has the same feelings as you do, but reciprocates that tenfold."

 

Her words even surprised Nayeon herself. It was like she had became a wise and powerful expert at love overnight. She stood up from the seesaw, approaching Mina on the other side. Opening her arms, Nayeon kneeled to give Mina a hug. Leaning into her embrace, Mina sighed heavily into Nayeon's shoulder. This is what it felt like to have no grey areas; everything was out in the open. Nayeon had yet to find her own answers. They released each other and Mina shyly looked away. Nayeon sat down on the soft, freshly trimmed grass.

 

"You don't hate me?"

 

Knowing the possibility that Nayeon would never speak to Mina after today, ate away at her. She didn't want that to happen.

 

Nayeon, slightly confused at such a question, leaned back with a discontented look. Seeing the change in expression so quickly on Nayeon's face made Mina's heart race, expecting the worse of responses.

 

"Why would I hate you for liking someone? A perfectly normal thing that humans do. That would be so unfair to you."

 

Once again, Mina became lost for words. Initially, that wasn't what she thought Nayeon would say. She's been anticipating every move she made; wanting to know her initial thoughts. A glum smile etched on her face as she stared at the dull ground.

 

"Actually, because I kissed you."

 

    "Ah.."

Bringing her knees up to her chest, Nayeon nodded.  

    "I'm glad you didn't give your first kiss to some douchebag, yes?"

 

"I..right."

Mina would never paint Nayeon in that type light, shaking her head as she looked down at the other girl's lively and warm face. She took a few seconds to adore that wonderful face.

 

    "Let's go." Standing up and holding out a hand for Nayeon to take.

    "Take my hand, Nayeon."

 

Tilting her head up, Nayeon stretched her hand out in the open, hoping Mina would grab her at the very second. The other girl wrapped their hands together and hoisted Nayeon up from the grass.

 

"It's late. We should head back," Nayeon urged.

 

Mina couldn't agree more as she smiled to herself. The tempid rays of the sun  stopped touching Nayeon's pale skin, giving her the idea that the sun had already set. Chilling winds started to settle around the two. Clearing the back of her pants of any remaining debris from the ground, Nayeon faced straight ahead, hand linked with Mina.

 

They walked out of the park, embracing each other and relishing in their company. Chatting about the most silliest things as if the heart-to-heart didn't just happen a couple of minutes ago. Their arms were locked safely, Mina securing Nayeon by her side like she was shielding her from the world in front of her. If anything, the girls were entirely mature to acknowledge that one felt strongly about the other but they did not share that same feeling. Mina would need to move past this somehow, although she was severely wounded by the rejection, she should've known this from the start. At least, she got those chamber of secrets out and became less heavy on her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jeongyeon sat at the back of the room, on top of the marble counter; one leg was hoisted up while the other lazily hung swayed back and forth like a loose rope. She scanned over the words she had written out of anger for the tenth time today. They didn't do much when it came to that literature class so everyone was free to do whatever they pleased.

 

It gave Jeongyeon time to think and space to breathe. She carried a small notebook in case she needed to vent. But ever since she met Nayeon, she's only used it for her mediocre poetry and shopping lists. In the past three weeks, Jeongyeon had written at least seven poems; five short ones and two long ones. Some of their themes ranged between anger, confusion, longing, isolation, and redemption.

 

"I will never be 

 

The first

 

Of so many things

 

For you. I came too late,

 

After love and life 

 

Were woven into the

 

Tapestry.

 

Of your existence. I care not

 

About lost firsts,

 

But I will fight, knuckles 

 

Bloody and teeth sharpened,

 

For your lasts.

 

Take the old firsts

 

And put them to rest,

 

Silent below the dirt

 

And ash of all the new ones

 

We will burn through.

 

Take them, but

 

Give me the

 

Lasts." 

 

With a heavy sigh, Jeongyeon collapsed into the wall. Staring up at the ceiling, she noticed the small cracks in the ceiling. Those patterns reminded her of the doodles she made on Nayeon's nightstand when they were younger. Glancing ahead to check the time on the large digital clock above the whiteboard, Jeongyeon saw that they had a few more minutes left until the class was over. Her head fell back, shutting her eyes as she tried to catch a small nap for the remaining of the period. She figured no on would dare to bother her at the back of the class.

 

A knock came on the door. The teacher stopped what he was doing, peering over to make sure he heard the knock and it wasn't someone playing a trick. Getting up from his seat, he went over to open the door. Some teens in the class paused their conversations to see who walked in. A hurricane of loud whispers, people trying to whisper over the other other, encircled the whole room. Jeongyeon only dozed off for ten minutes when she was alerted by the buzz. She opened her eyes to hear the teacher speaking to the person. Her back was facing Jeongyeon and somewhat blurry from her sleepy eyes. 

 

"Sure thing, Ms. Chou. Just don't disturb the rest of the class."

 

"Thanks, sir."

 

When the drowsiness

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter