The Idiot's Loss

The Mindset of Idiots

“What is biochemistry?”

It was a question asked then written in a blackboard. A classroom full of medical freshmen were in their third class, books held like they were jewels. The question was asked again and a few of the students raised their hands to be given a chance to answer. The professor was eyeing the class and her gaze stopped at a smiling student.

It was Chaeryeong, having a grin while fidgeting in between Yujin and Yena.

“You.” The teacher pointed at her. “Why are you smiling?”

Chaeryeong chuckled a bit before answering. “Actually, ma’am…being able to study Medicine has been my childhood dream. I’m happy to be given such an opportunity, finally…”

The rest of them chuckled but the professor stopped the moment. “No need to smile and be too happy. Define biochemistry.”

“Biochemistry is a relationship between chemicals and living organisms, ma’am.”

“Will you please elaborate?”

Chaeryeong nodded, standing up. “The chemical reactions that occur in any living form is biochemistry.”

Chaejeong was also her classmate, a competitive and manipulative bird in the nest. She didn’t get the answer yet most of the students did through their own understanding, even Yena, who was a er for the course. Yujin? She had a little idea but is still lost.

“When we intake something, our bodies convert it into energy-that’s biochemistry. Our bodies fight the diseases when we take drugs or medicine-also biochemistry. We inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide, vice-versa for plants…respiration-still biochemistry.” Chaeryeong elaborated. “Biochemistry is applied in everyday life, from taking blood tests to eating an expired pie which leads you to excrete.”

She added a sound effect for pooping and everyone cracked up, even a silent Chaewon. The professor felt ridiculed and threw a piece of chalk on her face. Chaeryeong was silenced while she rubbed her cheek.

“I asked for the definition!”

“Ma’am. I already gave it to you.” Chaeryeong answered, getting some laughs, especially from Chaejeong.

“And you’ll write this in your exam? ‘This is biochemistry: eating an expired pie leading to excretion.’” The professor said, adding a sound effect for pooping, and causing everyone to laugh again. “Idiocy! Anyone else?”

Chaejeong raised her hand and was given the chance to answer. She started off with the simple ‘Biochemistry is the study of the chemical substances and vital processes occurring in living organisms.’ and the rest became a very bookish definition. It made the slow ones scratch their heads and the others eyeing the exact definition in their books. Yujin joined the slow ones, Yena was in the boundary, and Chaeryeong listened and understood, all the while she mocked Chaejeong by imitating her, making Yena laugh silently.

“Wonderful.” The professor said once Chaejeong finished. “Perfect! Please sit down.”

Chaejeong grinned and acknowledged herself. Chaeryeong was lucky enough to understand but realizing the faces of her classmates, she spoke again. “But ma’am. I said the same thing in simple language.”

“If you prefer simple language, they why did you study for this course? You should’ve just included yourself in the Arts and Commerce Department.”

“But ma'am, even if the courses require such terms to be explained in a proper way, not all can comprehend the same way.” Chaeryeong reasoned again. “What’s the use of cramming with a bookish definition if it cannot be understood by everyone?”

“You think you’re smarter than the book?!” The professor spat and the class became tense. “If you want to pass, then you better write the proper textbook definition.”

“But not all books have the same-“

“Get out!”

Yena and Yujin lowered their heads and cussed, Chaejeong smirked, and the rest of the class were like Chaewon. Silent.

“Huh? Why, ma’am?” Chaeryeong asked, flustered.

“In simple language- out!”

Chaeryeong was taken aback but at the back of her mind, arguments aren’t necessary anymore so she had to obey. She excused herself and walked out slowly.

“Idiot.”

She froze of that word. Even if she was instructed to leave and that the lesson resumed, she returned.

“Eh?! Why are you still here?” The professor asked.

“I forgot something, ma’am.” Chaeryeong answered.

“What?”

Chaeryeong inhaled deeply then spoke. “A tool taking a form of a non-rigid container, no more than the lengths of animal skin, cotton, or woven fibers, folded up at the edges and secured in that shape with strings of the same material, ranging from backpacks, purses, satchels, and totes that have been fundamental for the development of the human civilization, as they allow people to easily collect loose materials such as berries or food grains, and to transport more items than could readily be carried in the hands.”

It silenced everyone and left them to think, even the professor was confused. “Ehh?!! What do you mean?”

“Bag, ma’am.” Chaeryeong answered and everyone cracked up. “I forgot my bag, ma’am. May I get it?”

“Couldn’t you ask simply?”

“I tried, ma’am…but it simply didn’t work.”

Yena laughed the loudest, almost falling off of her seat. The laughs increased, with Chaejeong and the professor gasping of Chaeryeong’s comprehension. Chaeryeong got her stuff and decided to leave the class early.

+++

Like the previous days and most of her days in the university, Chaeryeong was mostly sent by her professors out, seldom in. With that, Chaeryeong would slip in various classes, from Nako and Hitomi’s engineering classes to Yuri’s art classes. For her, whether you’re a senior or a freshman, we all have something to learn. Knowledge is in a boundary between a freebie and a luxury so whenever there’s a chance, it must be grabbed.

Knowledge was an understatement that described Chaeryeong. She was uniquely different and was a figure of frugality, improvisation, and resourcefulness. Most students would fight for the shower every morning but Chaeryeong bathed where there was water, even if she was seen by her classmates and professors in her undergarments. She was a passionate learner but most of it clung to Medicine. She would make concoctions as alternate remedies for diseases. Most of them worked like the tonic she gave to Minju for her anemia, while some failed like her tablet for Yena’s headache that resulted her to take a .

In another phase, Kaeun was like her but she was mostly inclined to apply her knowledge through technology. She was making a hat with neurotransmitters to detect the disconnection of axons when a knock disrupted her. Kaeun opened the door and she bowed instantly. “Director Kim.”

“Miss Lee. A word.”

Kaeun nodded and they walked. Director Kim spoke first. “Is your project ready?”

“You mean the NeuroHat, Director?” Kaeun asked, getting a nod. “That was just a dummy project, Director. I have already finished the requirements on time for graduation. That was only for past time.”

“No. Finish the project.” Director Kim demanded. “I need you to submit it for the Science Fair.”

“Director, the Science Fair is in three days. I won’t be able to finish it.” Kaeun clarified. “I had my times to participate, Director. Chances should be given to others. Sakura-chan will represent with her mobile application for HIV, right?”

“Miss Lee.” Director Kim faced her, stopping the latter. “I know my niece can handle it but I’m not sure that she’ll win…but your project can.”

“But Director-“

“You two will participate. I know you can finish it. I know your capability, Miss Lee. The pin proves it.” Director Kim spoke. “You’ll be graduating soon. The other students will have your chances but this will be your last.”

“I’m sorry, Director…but I can’t do it.” Kaeun spoke.

“Should I depose you from graduating this year, then?”

Kaeun was shocked. “D-Director-“

“Miss Lee. Saturday afternoon, I have finished my requirements for graduation. Sunday morning, I was called by my Director to pass a project for an international convention and in the afternoon, I had to finish it despite my fever. Few years ago, my eldest niece whom I treat as my own daughter died and I had to attend a conference the next day so don’t give me excuses.” Director Kim spoke, silencing Kaeun. “I’ll give you three days to finish it and you’ll pass it. I’ll even give you an extra award for it during the ceremony.”

Kaeun sighed and had to agree. Director Kim regained her grin and patted her back. “That’s my future niece-in-law.”

Director Kim left and Kaeun sighed, scratching her head of frustration. She couldn’t believe that she was manipulated through her abuse of power just to gain self-credibility. On the other hand, she could actually do it with no hesitation.

Why would she decline? A tight hold on her chest and her stumbling steps back to her room was the answer.

Chaeryeong saw her and heard bits of the information that she had the feeling that Kaeun was facing something aside from studies. She had an idea on her head and smiled, going back to her dorm room.

+++

It was nighttime and Chaeryeong carried books of Cardiology and Mechanical Engineering from the library. She passed by Kaeun and Sakura, sitting on the balcony. Chaeryeong found them sweet and she would’ve given them their time when Sakura called her. Chaeryeong was frozen yet Kaeun called her this time.

“What’s with the books, Chaeryeong-chan?” Sakura asked.

“I wanted to read these.”

“Even at the time of a final exam?” Sakura was shocked.

“Let her be, Saku-chan.” Kaeun said, patting her head. “I’m sure Chaeryeong has studied for the exam. Studying other stuff is important too.”

“You’re right as always, Kaeun-nim.” Chaeryeong scratched her head.

Sakura pouted and wrapped her arms around their necks. Chaeryeong got her head scuffled whereas Kaeun got a kiss on her cheek. “Why are my two Lees sharing the same interest?”

Chaeryeong chuckled, all the while her heart had been beating frantically. How could she not figure out that they have been friends for the whole school year?

“Kaeun-nim, Sakura-san, congratulations in winning the Science Fair.”

The couple said their thanks and Chaeryeong smiled. “You’re graduating next week, Kaeun-nim. What would you want as a gift?”

“Just your presence.” Kaeun smiled. “I also love the others to come too.”

“We’ll settle that, Kaeun-chan.” Sakura added.

Chaeryeong had to excuse herself to study, bidding her goodnight to the couple. She made slow steps, hearing cries from Sakura and a groan from Kaeun. Clutching her books, she quickly got to the room, seeing Yena and Yujin study for the exam.

“Where have you been?” Yujin asked.

“And damn, those are a lot of books.” Yena spoke.

Chaeryeong got to her desk filled with clutters of metal and papers and spoke once she got a particular book. “Getting resources from the library for a project I’m building.”

“What is that?” Yena asked, stopping towards the latter.

“My own design of a pacemaker.” Chaeryeong shared. “It will be in a medium of a wristband, keeping the pulse steady, hence, keeping the heartbeat steady. It’ll be useful for people who have heart problems while they busy with their works plus having an interest in acessories.”

“Is that even possible?” Yujin asked this time. “How can a pulse and a heartbeat be relatable? And can you even make that in the amidst of our exams?”

“I’ll finish it and it’ll work.” Chaeryeong assured her. “We’ll make it work.”

“Why are you making that, Chaeryeong?”

“A gift for our Great Senior. She’s going to graduate next week.” She added. “Kaeun-nim loves technology. Don’t tell her about this because it’ll be a surprise. We’ll give it at the congratulatory party and we’ll record her reaction.”

“Yah.” Yujin called, getting the other two’s attention. “I hate to break it to you but if you’re working on an unrelated project, who’s going to do our required projects? Don’t forget that there’re also plates, moving exams, and case studies- 40 per semester.”

“You scare easily, Yujin-ah.” Chaeryeong went closer to Yujin, placing her hand on her chest. “Take your hand, put it over your heart, and say ‘All is Well.’”

“All is well?” Yujin raised an eyebrow. “You kidding me?”

“Words of wisdom from her Eminence, Lee Chaeryeong.” Yena added. “Where did you even get that phrase?”

“We had a watchman in our place. He always yelled the phrase every 11 PM and we sleep peacefully because of it. A theft happened on one particular night and we realized that he was blind. He said those three words at the time of jeopardy yet we felt secure.” Chaeryeong added. “With that, I realize that the heart is vulnerable to emotional elements. I understood that the heart scares easily. In order to cease the fear, you must trick it. Whatever the problem, don’t let your heart be consumed by fear. Give it a soft pat and say, ‘All is well, all is well.’”

“And will that resolve the problem?” Yujin asked, still unconvinced.

“No…but it gives you courage to face it.” Chaeryeong advised, earning a wow and a chuckle from Yena. “I suggest you learn it because trust me…we’re going to need it for the next three years in this place and in the future years once we get out of here.”

Yujin rolled her eyes and resumed studying. Yena gave the last of her chuckles and resumed her studying too. Chaeryeong yawned and worked with her contraption, resuming the graveyard shift within three students inside their room inside the university.

+++

“Wow, wow, wow…” Chaewon reacted as soon as Chaeryeong was seen with Yujin and Yena. “Someone finally attends the class properly.”

“I try, Chaewon-ah.” Chaeryeong grinned.

“Sit beside us, Chaeryeong-ah.” Yena pulled her and made her sit next to Chaewon.

Yujin could only sigh and sit on Yena’s right. Their other classmates arrived and Chaejeong was shocked that the seats in front were already occupied. Seeing Chaeryeong sit on her spot shocked her that she spat. “Hey, idiot! That’s my seat!”

“Buzz off, Miss 79. We got here first.” Yena stuck a tongue.

“What the -how did you-“

“Your Union Jack underwear had the number 79 in it.” Yujin said, making the rest of their classmates laugh.

“Yah!!” She yelled, silencing everyone. “Stop that! Get the out of this row!”

“Chaejeong, stop that.” Chaeryeong sighed. “There’s a vacant seat by my back.”

Chaejeong still protested but most of the classmates told her to sit down on the said vacant seat. Chaeryeong and the rest got there first anyway. It seemed fair.

Chaejeong cursed and sat on the third row instead. Chaeryeong sighed in relief, earning little claps from Yena and Chaewon.

“You showed her, future Great Senior.” Chaewon grinned.

“Did Nako-san teach you that, now?” Chaeryeong asked.

The topic had to cease there as their professor arrived. They sat properly, books on their tables and hands supporting their chins. The lesson of Trigonometry started and the four friends, together with the rest of the class, prepped themselves for another day of learning.

+++

The three roommates were at the canteen to eat. Yena was the last to order her meal, a large sandwich and a large soda. She got to their table when a large painting suddenly blocked her well, causing her to spill the soda on her shirt. “Hey! Watch where you’re-“

She saw the owner of such precious hands that held the painting and her anger faded. The owner gasped, seeing a large stain on Yena’s shirt. “Yena-ya, I’m so sorry!”

“Y-Yuri…”

Yuri placed her painting by her feet and reached for her hanky. She got closer to Yena to wipe her chest when the big ducky backed away. “How about you join us for lunch?”

“Us?” Yuri wondered.

Yena pointed at the table where Chaeryeong and Yujin were at. Yuri saw the two girls wave at them, with Yujin laughing at Yena’s mess.

“Okay. But we should clean you up first.”

“It’s fine, Yuri. Let’s go?”

Yuri agreed and followed the large ducky to the table. Yuri greeted Chaeryeong and Yujin and placed her painting by her side.

“What happened to your shirt?” Yujin cackled. “Did you spit the contents because you saw Yuri?”

Yena pinched her ear, sparing her apologies to a blushing Yuri. Chaeryeong chuckled and got an article of clothing on her bag, tossing it to Yena, to which the big ducky was quick to catch.

“That’s a spare shirt. You need to change or else the ants will fly towards you.” Chaeryeong said.

“Ants don’t fly.” Yujin said.

“Female ants do.” Yuri spoke.

Yena had the time to react and Chaeryeong nodded. Yujin admitted her defeat and spat. “Go and change, Yena.”

“I’ll buy you another soda.” Yuri added and went back in line.

Yena would’ve protested but Yuri insisted again, making her obey. She spared her thanks to Chaeryeong for the extra shirt and went to the comfort room to change.

“Chaeryeong-ah, they look good together, right?” Yujin asked.

“Yes. Same with you and Minju.”

Yujin spits her juice and coughed. Chaeryeong was quick to wipe the table with the napkins, being careful not to mess their things, especially Yuri’s painting. Yujin whined and Chaeryeong gave a peace sign. But then, they stopped as they saw Sakura and Kaeun on their table, laughing and sharing hugs. Chaeryeong stared for a long time, especially towards Sakura.

“Same with you and Sakura-san, then?”

“No.” Chaeryeong looked away and played with her Rubix Cube.

Yujin nudged her and chuckled before going back in line to order another bottle of juice.

+++

The three idiotic roommates were done with another class and stopped to see Chaewon playing table tennis with other freshmen and winning in every game. Yujin was bored but seeing a familiar woman cheering in the crowd, she gulped while listening to Chaewon asking to who’ll compete with her.

“Me!” She raised.

“Eh? You don’t even play table tennis, Yujin.” Yena chuckled.

“She’s eager to learn because of someone.” Chaeryeong mumbled, pointing at the said girl.

She saw them and called them, adding waves. They waved back, especially Yujin.

“Yujin-ah!”

“H-Hey, Minju-ah.” She grinned and waved.

“Someone’s whipped.” Yena mumbled, causing Yujin to pinch her arm.

Chaewon continued to ask and Yujin got to her and got her racket. “I’ll play.”

Chaewon nodded and got another racket. She went to the other side of the table. Yujin saw Minju cheer and she smiled and got ready. Chaewon served first and Yujin was lucky to hit back for a couple of rounds. But Chaewon didn’t ‘play around’ and did a hit that broke the table. Yujin was shocked of it that she jumped out like a frog, causing the others to laugh.

Yujin saw Minju join them with a giggle and she blushed. With her shame rooted in her conscience, she ended up grabbing the leg of the table and fixed it out of impulse.

“Whoops.” Chaewon reacted. “You okay, bud?”

“Y-Yeah…” Yujin spoke. “Guess you won.”

“That’s was one of the best games I had.” Chaewon added, shaking her hand. “Good job fixing the table, though.”

Chaeryeong and Yena watched, a mix of laughs and seriousness surrounding them. They knew Yujin felt ashamed because Minju witnessed her that they had to save her flustered .

“Come on, Yujin. Let’s go back and study.” Yena spoke.

Chaeryeong added a pat on her back and they had to bid Chaewon farewell. As they walked, Minju saw them and called. “Yujin-ah.”

Chaeryeong and Yena grinned and ran off, leaving their fellow idiot. Yujin gulped and stopped to face Minju.

She couldn’t believe it. Minju was talking to her.

“H-Hey…” Yujin waved again.

“You played well, Yujin-ah.” Minju commented. “No one has lasted that long playing table tennis with Chaewon before.”

“Really?” Yujin was shocked then chuckled. “I never thought I did that.”

Minju smiled and Yujin’s heartstrings played on its own, creating a wonderful tone.

“Hey, want to hang out soon?” Yujin asked.

Minju was shocked but she ended up smiling and handed her phone to her. “Okay. Your number.”

Yujin nodded and typed. She did the same thing and got Minju’s number.

“I’ll see you then, Yujin-ah. Great job in fixing the table too.”

Yujin was frozen of hearing that as she watched Minju go with Chaewon and Yuri. She grinned and turned around to jump back since Yena had been behind her.

“What the are you doing there?!”

“I saw Yuri, you idiot.” Yena mumbled then smirked. “And I had to witness an achievement from the Great AnhYu.”

“Idiot.” Yujin hissed, nudging her lightly.

“Eh? Where’s Chaeryeong?”

Yena pointed and saw Chaeryeong with Sakura. The cherry blossom was in between her girlfriend and her secret admirer, her two favorite Lees.

“Well, I’ll be…” Yujin chuckled. “…she gets recognized by Great Senior and her crush.”

Yena gasped and got a nod from Yujin. They were really happy for Chaeryeong in terms of friendship and recognition but they also worried for the latter’s feelings towards the cherry blossom.

Chaeryeong mat be a great guru but they were aware of her gazes when she saw Sakura, especially when she was with Kaeun. Her admiration was obvious to them but they were sure she would never admit.

“How about you get Yuri’s number this time?” Yujin nudged.

“Soon, maybe…” Yena grinned back.

Not long after, Chaeryeong got to them. Yena and Yujin chuckled and went to hug the latter and mess with her hair.

“Okay, what’s the occasion?” Chaeryeong asked them. “You guys seem giddy.”

“Who wouldn’t be?” Yujin wrapped her arm around Chaeryeong’s shoulder.  “Come on. Let’s have something to eat."

Yena joined them and the three idiots went on, seizing another day.

+++

A lot had happened within the next days. The finals were already finished and most of students did their own leisure to pass the time, from going back home to their families to staying in the university for advanced studying. For the circle of friends, especially with the three idiotic roommates, they remained in the university, bonds growing stronger within each other.

Yena was still the hyper duck, taking pictures here and there and had the nit to make constructive criticisms. She was a bundle of joy, especially when she started hanging out with Yuri and getting her number. Then again, she also had frustrations, releasing them by drinking three bottles of soju every night and puking the next morning.

Yujin was still the hyper scaredy-cat, shrugging off the life-enlightening advices the third idiot gave, praying to the gods, and building her friendship with Minju and Yena, even with the third idiot. There was never a day when she would fog up their room with incense and she would narrate her sad situation within her family. Nonetheless, she was happy with friends, especially with Minju. She even had the heart to open up and developed most of her friendship with her roommates.

Third idiot Chaeryeong was still the typical Chaeryeong, topping on her batch in Medicine, frustrating second-placer Chaejeong and getting comments from most of the students that she was like Kaeun’s successor. She still had the passion for learning, all the while she continued making her contraption.

For the contraption, Chaeryeong was still working on it and her friends were intrigued and became a part of its development because one, it was a surprise for Kaeun and two, she committed to make it. She had her first try on a hyperventilating Minju, resulting in proper detection of her pulse yet failing in calming the latter down. She would chuckle as Yujin would chase her because it didn’t work. Her second try added a progress of being able to manage the pace of the user’s pulse. Yuri was eager to try it but she got a little shock, numbing the nerves of her left hand for three minutes and getting a slap from Yena because of the side effect. The third try was a day before the graduation and Chaeryeong rejoiced as it finally worked. Yena and Yujin were really impressed and they had a chance to try and it worked.

“This is perfect!” Yena cheered.

“This will be a gift representing the freshmen in our department.” Chaeryeong said. “We would give it during the ceremony but maybe we should give it to her now.”

“Good idea.” Yujin gave a thumbs-up. “Let’s go to Kaeun-nim’s room and give it to her.”

The three roommates agreed like siblings and they went out of the vacant classroom. They even met Minju and Yuri along the way and they joined the three. They passed by a working Hitomi and Nako, even tripping Chaejeong along the way for insulting a classmate.

The walk would’ve been peaceful when they saw Chaewon. Yuri and Minju were quick to draw closer, worrying for Chaewon since she was panicking.

“Chaewon-ah, what’s wrong?” Yuri asked.

“We need to help. Something happened.” Chaewon mumbled, almost crying. “It’s Great Senior.”

With that, all of them followed Chaewon, running like wildebeests freed from dry grassland. Feet were in the brink of loosening themselves from running, arms were hit from the shoving and impacts, and hearts and minds were mixed up in the pit of worry. The freshmen got to the dorms, seeing paramedics gather around Kaeun’s room. Students who were inside their own rooms witnessed the scene, almost crowding it. Chaeryeong and the others shoved themselves to see the commotion better and they saw Sakura crying over Kaeun, whose body was laying lifelessly on the floor and a member of the paramedics was doing CPR.

“She’s gone…”

Those words became heavy for everyone as Sakura hugged Kaeun and wept. Chaewon teared up, Yujin and Yena were hugged by Yuri and Minju as they joined the tears brigade, and Chaeryeong lowered her head, keeping the contraption in her pocket.

She didn’t shed tears but her heart did. She couldn’t believe that she was too late.

+++

For the first time in PD48 University, a graduation ceremony was sullen. Everyone would be happy for their different senses of achievement but with a special student taken away before she could celebrate her own achievement, it wasn’t a right for them to rejoice with cheers and smiles. Instead, they were still while looking at her coffin surrounded with lilies, her graduation picture on top. The rain joined their sorrow yet all of them were unmoved, togas and casual clothes soaked in Heaven’s tears.

After the ceremony, a procession happened towards the cemetery. Most of the people sheltered themselves in umbrellas this time but not Chaeryeong, letting herself be soaked from beginning to end. Not long after, they arrived at the spot. Last commemorations and prayers were done as the coffin was closed. The witnesses were teary. Sakura had the most pain as she lets herself be drenched and hugged the coffin tight, her sobs surrounding the cemetery as she called Kaeun’s name.

Chaewon, Minju, and Yuri were behind her. Chaewon sheltered themselves with a large umbrella as Minju and Yuri comforted the cherry blossom. Yujin and Yena were on the other side and Chaeryeong was still drenched. Looking at a sorrowful Sakura, Chaeryeong teared up too. She looked around to see Director Kim, clutching onto a Rosary as she had a distressed look. Chaeryeong sighed and got closer to her.

“Good news, Director.” Chaeryeong began, getting her attention. “The police and all the loved ones that had been close to Kaeun-nim have no idea. They all think it’s was a sudden attack.”

Director Kim maintained the stoic look but Chaeryeong wasn’t stopping. “The post mortem report showed that the cause of death was cardiac arrest. All think that it was an incommunicable disease passed through genetics that killed the Great Senior. But with a spirited bird such as herself, what about the mental pressure and the stress she had for the past four years? Why wasn’t it included in the report, ma’am? In the cause of her condition, at least?”

Yena wondered of Chaeryeong’s discussion with the Director but it was stopped as Yuri and Minju kept on pulling Sakura away for Kaeun was to be buried at this very moment. Chaeryeong and Director Kim were aware but the soon-to-be sophomore was still talking.

“People are intelligent, only having different manifestations for their minds. We are a clever bunch but we don’t jump onto boundaries for others, like how society doesn’t consider mental illnesses, even pressures.  If we had known it before, that we’d have the initiative, and we’d have a solution against this, we would know that this isn’t a natural death, not even suicide…” Chaeryeong spoke, making Director Kim look at her. “…it’s murder.”

Director Kim had the idea on her head as Kaeun was finally buried.

+++

“So much for the contraption you made, Chaeryeong-ah.” Chaewon sighed. “What are you going to do with it now?”

The seven freshmen and two sophomores were in the main lobby, looking at the gloomy sky. Chaeryeong was drying herself up as she held the wristband. “Well…maybe I’ll turn this into a thesis when we reach the senior year.”

“Aigoo…lucky you. You got yourself a key to graduating now.” Yena spoke. “No wonder you’re first for this year in Medicine.”

“Stop that, Yena-ya. Not on this day,” said Yuri. “We need to respect Great Senior’s death by not talking such things.”

“It’s strange.” Minju spoke. “Great Senior didn’t look sickly. How could she have a heart ailment?”

“Diseases like that come unexpectedly these days.” Yujin added. “They’re silent killers.”

“True. I even believe that her ailment was triggered because of stress.”

Everyone was silent with Chaeryeong’s words. They could only watch the latter putting the wristband back in her pocket.

“What do you mean, your Eminence?” Nako asked.

“That’s impossible, right?” Yujin asked too. “Cardiac arrest doesn’t trigger with the brain.”

“But it triggers through the damages of the cardiac muscles. They break because of palpitations. Palpitations can occur because of factors such as stress.” Chaeryeong spoke.

“Aigoo…” Yena reacted, patting the taller girl’s back. “…the Eminence is right.”

“Things will be different now.” Hitomi added. “Great Senior was a big inspiration to most of us, especially to me and Nako-chan. It’ll be different living a new life without her around. Sakura-san would have it worse.”

“Speaking of Sakura-san…how it she?” Chaeryeong asked.

“She’s asleep on her room now,” said Minju. “Let’s pray that’s she’ll get through this.”

“All is well, all is well.” Chaeryeong concluded, patting her chest.

The others didn’t understand but Yena was the first to imitate. The others followed, with Yujin being last.

Even if they met death, they hope that all is well in the days to come.