An Idiotic Reunion

The Mindset of Idiots

It was a trip in the middle of nowhere, nothing but nature within its view. The van that was once spotless had dust on its exterior, due to the journeys it had gone that almost trekked the whole country. Inside was quiet, with the exception of a tied Chaejeong finally sitting upright. The rest were busy with their own thoughts and of their future reactions if they were to see Chaeyeon again.

Sakura was stuck in prayer, all for Chaeyeon’s well-being and all for a moment wherein the latter is still single. Yujin was looking at the barren view with a sleeping Minju beside her. Yuri was also watching the view whereas Yena was glued to the road.

“Love, do you think Chaeyeon would be glad to see us?” Yuri asked as she opened the window.

“Of course, she will,” Yena answered. “Even if she left us without a proper goodbye, I can tell that she misses us and she’s dying to meet us.”

“I agree.” Yujin jumped in. “Maybe Chaeyeon had a lot in her head that she didn’t have the courage to say it at that time. But maybe, when we see her, we can finally listen to her again.”

Yena stopped and saw the sign. “Love, isn’t that the school?”

Yuri grabbed the brochure and read. “WM Elementary School. Yes, that’s the one.”

Yena was relived and drove to the right. She had gazes between the road and a struggling Chaejeong. “Yujin-ah. You can untie Miss 79 now.”

Yujin obeyed, gently moving Minju’s head away as she got the handkerchiefs off of Chaejeong’s mouth and wrists.

“You bastards!” She yelled, causing Minju to wake up. “I’ll sue you all in American court!”

They didn’t give a damn as they finally arrived at the main entrance of WM Elementary School. They parked the van close to the gate and hastily got out, splitting up to look for Chaeyeon. They went to every corner they could pass and called her name many times, up until they met up in a square filled with children.

“Yena-chan…” Sakura pulled the ducky and pointed.

It was a convention of learning. On one end, three kids were turning grain into flour with the power of a revving car’s engine. On Yujin and Minju’s side, there were three more kids. One was pedaling a bike and the two held a wooly sheep, shaving it through that method of power. Yuri even marveled on another section where more kids were showing their paintings.

All of them gathered in one point as Minju started to share. “This is a utopia of education!”

“Agreed. This is beautiful.” Yuri joined her.

“I can feel it. Only Chaeyeon could build a school like this.” Yena said.

“The question is…” Sakura sighed. “…where is she?”

+++

Chaejeong didn’t meet up with the others. She didn’t care of meeting Chaeyeon out of peace but only concerned herself. She was far from the square, looking for a comfort room. She managed to find one outside a classroom but the sign says that it’s out of order. Chaejeong was hard-headed and decided to pee there anyway.

“Hey! You can’t pee there!” A little girl stopped her.

“Go away, you creature!” Chaejeong spat.

The little one called her older sister. She was more demeaning and spat. “Hey! Don’t pee there! Are you blind not to see that it’s out of order?”

“Go away or I’ll smack you!” Chaejeong raised her hand and the kids scrammed.

The kids may have run off but they smirked at each other. Chaejeong got to the door as the older sister got a remote and pressed a button. Just as Chaejeong touched the handle, she froze then yelled in pain. The remote the kids had was a control to a security system built for doors. If one dared to trespass a building and forced the door open by grabbing the knob, the knob will heat up. It was the price Chaejeong paid for her disobedience as she continued to scream while holding her hand, showing a burn reaching its third degree.

The rest of the friends arrived because of her screams. They saw the kids laughing at Chaejeong before leaving. Yena and Yujin saw the heating doorknob as they were reminded of the very first impression Chaeyeon showed to them.

“Bingo! She can’t be far now!” Yena cheered. “Let’s go!”

All of them followed Yena, leaving Chaejeong onto her misery. They arrived at an office, seeing a grown woman walking by. With that, Minju stopped her and asked. “Excuse me?”

“Yes?” The woman looked up with a smile.

“Have you seen a woman by the name of Lee Chaeyeon?”

“Where’s Chaeryeong?” Yujin bombarded with less finesse.

“Her name’s not Chaeryeong.” Sakura batted, almost smacking Yujin’s head. “So much for being her friend.”

“Idiot.” Yena decided to do the smacking for Sakura. “It’s Chaeyeon.”

“Guys~” Yuri complained about their argument. “Damnit, why did she have two names?!”

“Ladies, please calm down.” The woman stopped their argument. “Why don’t you come with me?”

They agreed and were on the woman’s tail. They got inside an office, with the friends calling Chaeyeon. Yena, Yujin, and Sakura continued to call while Minju and Yuri wowed of the many books, models, and various PCs on the tables. Yuri was even impressed with the maple floorings and the marble table good for fourteen.

“Dahee, we have guests!!” The woman yelled and got books. “Yena-chan, she’s read all your books.”

Yena went to the table and saw her books about the animals in many biomes. It was all about her photographs and the learnings she had in New York with Ji Yeo.

The woman got to a PC and displayed a webpage. “Yujin-chan, she reads your blogs ranging from engineering archives, medicinal practices, and religious topics. It became one of her subjects proposed here in WM Elementary School. She never misses a day to proudly share it with the children.”

“Who are the guests, Bokhee?” The other woman came out and gasped of the said guests.

“It’s them, Dahee. They’ve returned for Chaeyeon. I even shared to them some stuff.”

Dahee was giddy, leaving the rest confused. She went to grab a painting and a thesis manuscript.

“Yuri-chan, this was a painting you gave to her. She analyzed the technique and theme and applied the learning to the art subjects here.” Dahee shared, making Yuri wow. “And Minju, your manuscript in economical technique within the market became her guide in making this school possible.”

“And remember the wristband, Sakura-chan?” Bokhee approached her, holding the contraption. “You took it off during surgery and lost it. But then she found it and kept it ever since, hoping that one day, you’ll wear it again.”

Sakura was the last to be impressed. Everything the two shared was just as right as what they feel about themselves, especially with their memories with Chaeyeon.

“Who are you two?” Sakura asked. “How do you know us?”

“Don’t you guys recognize us?” Bokhee and Dahee asked.

“No,” Sakura answered while the rest shook their heads.

“That’s right. How would you?” Bokhee spoke first. “How would you know when the midget has grown?”

“And how would you know when the cheeks aren’t that puffy anymore?” Dahee added.

It was enough for them to realize that Bokhee and Dahee were their cute engineering friends.

“Nako-chan?! Hitomi-chan?!”

“You got it. Now give us a hug!” Nako cheered and spreads her arms.

All of them tackled the two with large hugs and were laughing, just like what they used to do when they were in college.

“My Lord…you two have grown! You two are just as tall as me now!” Yena spoke.

“The pituitary glands have functioned even at your ages!” Yujin added.

“Yah! How did you two get in here?!” Yuri asked, still shocked.

“Nako here got a message from Chaeyeon. After she received it, she asked me to come with her so I agreed.” Hitomi shared.

“If you wondered how I got her message, I got a train ticket inside my satchel, a bag that I carried last graduation day.” Nako began, getting the message from her pocket. It said – “I’m sorry if I had to go without saying proper reasons. If you’re going to have a rough start in life and have lost faith, come and catch this train.”- and I did after I had a rough start after graduation.”

“I had a rough start after graduation too but Nako said that she received two tickets in that message so she pitched me in. We got ourselves here in WM Elementary School and became her underlings.” Hitomi finished.

They were emotional. Yena and Yujin couldn’t help pat their heads and say. “Chaeyeon’s still that caring rascal.”

Nako and Hitomi nodded. Sakura was the last to stop crying, feeling happy that even if the years went by, Chaeyeon’s wonderful personality remained in her through her acts.

“Where’s that idiot?” Sakura asked.

“She’s as the White Dunes with her class,” Nako said.

Sakura went, shocking the rest. She got back to the car that powered the flour-making, with the kids obliged to let her borrow the vehicle. Sakura asked them where the White Dunes was and they gave her a map. She was thankful to the kids and drove ahead, eager to meet the love of her second life again.

Chaeyeon-ah…I’m coming for you…

+++

The White Dunes was a special place. It was a mass of sand where you could cross and feel that you’re at the center of the sea, like how Moses divided it to give his fellow Israelites their path to freedom. In the largest mass of sand stood a blonde woman, hair tied into a bun and wearing clothes that made her look like Steve Jobs. Not only that, she wore glasses to complete her makeover and she was flying a drone, with the children flocking to her like she was their mother.

It was a very jolly Lee Chaeyeon.

But alas. Her jolliness faded when she saw a car heading towards her. But it wasn’t the vehicle that made her freeze but the driver herself.

“Seunghyeon, Youngin, you guys fly it,” Chaeyeon spoke and handed the remote.

The kids went to another part and their fellow classmates followed them. Chaeyeon froze as the car drew closer, stopping at a meter away from her. She finally got a good look at Sakura…and Chaeyeon recalled her dream again.

Every night, you ride in my dreams in your car, dressed as a bride.

Judging from the hues, Sakura wore a nice pink dress. It would exceed Chaeyeon’s expectations because Sakura was more beautiful in this reality.

Instead of a veil, you let your retractable roof lift before you hop out.

The car had a retractable roof. Chaeyeon watched it retract and she saw a better view of Sakura’s aesthetics, making her heart flutter again. As predicted, Sakura did wear a pink dress.

Then, you come closer and kiss me…

Chaeyeon was frozen and her cheeky smile came back as Sakura drew closer.

…but the kiss didn’t happen.

Oh, to hell it didn’t.

Why?

Because Sakura only got closer to slap Chaeyeon’s cheek. Chaeyeon gasped, feeling her head being swept on one side as if she was bumped into a metal plank. Chaeyeon’s gaze returned to Sakura as she rubbed her cheek. “Ow…”

“Couldn’t you at least tell me before leaving?” Sakura spat.

“I couldn’t…” Chaeyeon lowered her head. “Sorry…”

“Did you marry?” Sakura asked, inching closer.

“What? No.” Chaeyeon chuckled. “You?”

“Almost!” Sakura spat. “Idiot…”

Chaeyeon chuckled and Sakura couldn’t hold herself as she chuckled back. It became awkward, with Chaeyeon looking away and her body fidgeting like an excited child. She returned to look at Sakura and she was glued to her field of vision. Her heart had to join the party because it was beating frantically.

“So?” Sakura voiced out.

“So what?”

“Do you love someone?”

Sakura was eager to get an answer. Chaeyeon lost the courage to say it directly. But knowing that this was fate, Chaeyeon had to talk. “Yes.”

Sakura had little hopes. With the years of not seeing her, there was a larger possibility that she was in love with someone else. She might have moved on from Eunbi or from her. Such an idea pained her to the bone.

But she couldn’t back out now. It took her five years to get her together and to see Chaeyeon again. She refused to let her efforts be wasted, let alone waste Kaeun’s last wish.

“Who?” Sakura asked and looked away.

“I found it in Eunbi. But knowing that she died, she would’ve wanted me to be happy and be at peace. To do that is to love someone like her.” Chaeyeon spoke. “I had my thoughts intact on another since then…and that another is you, Kkura-chan.”

Sakura looked back and saw Chaeyeon’s genuine smile. She couldn’t help but be very happy, pulling Chaeyeon close to her and giving her a kiss. Chaeyeon was dazed, almost showing her ‘poobrain’ face within the kiss. All the feelings Chaeyeon kept have gone free and she kissed Sakura back.

But of course, they needed oxygen so they had to break for air. Chaeyeon felt like her mind rebooted and she reacted. Sakura joined her in reacting and they looked like teenagers squealing of doing their first kiss.

“See?” Sakura pulled Chaeyeon close and pinched her cheeks. “The noses don’t collide, stupid.”

“You’re right, Kkura-chan.” Chaeyeon laughed and rubbed her nose against hers. “They really don’t.”

Sakura smirked and cupped Chaeyeon’s face. “Shall we do it again?”

Chaeyeon would’ve loved to. She ended up holding Sakura and they inched their faces closer…

…until a shoe hits Chaeyeon’s head.

“Yah, Lee Chaeyeon!!!”

Chaeyeon and Sakura broke. Chaeyeon noticed Sakura laugh looking by her back. Chaeyeon faced back and saw a big ducky.

“Yena-ya!! Hey, buddy!!” Chaeyeon waved.

“Aish, don’t ‘Hey’ me! Screw you and your greeting.” Yena huffed and picked up her left shoe.

“Hey, calm down. Listen to me.” Chaeyeon drew closer.

“No. YOU listen to me.” Yena spat and ran towards her, swinging her shoe.

Yena swung her shoe at Chaeyeon but the third idiot was quick to run away while she pleaded to explain herself. Eventually, Chaeyeon was stopped when she bumped into a body.

“Oh, my Lord! Yujin-ah!!” Chaeyeon gasped, seeing the taller.

“.” Yujin spat and slapped Chaeyeon.

Chaeyeon was taken aback. During the slap, she faced Yena. She got another slap from Yena and faced Yujin again. At that moment, Yena and Yujin messed with Chaeyeon after not seeing her for so long. They ranted a lot of s from how they hunted Chaeyeon for the past five years to how in the world would Chaeyeon wouldn’t have one coin for just one phone call.

It didn’t end with the running. Yena and Yujin got her as their bodies tumbled on the sand. Yena and Yujin were quick to get up and cornered Chaeyeon from there thanks to their kicks and rants.

“Add a couple more from our circle of friends and from me,” Sakura added as she got closer.

“Rascal!” Yena huffed.

“Scoundrel!!” Yujin added.

“Okay, okay!!” Chaeyeon ducked. “Can you let me go now?”

“Come on, you two. Let her go.” Sakura added.

“Okay, okay…enough.” Yena huffed and lent a hand. “Get up on your feet. Come on.”

Chaeyeon accepted her hand and she was pulled up. The three idiots panted from all the running but it was replaced with laughter. Yena became a little teary and pulled Chaeyeon for a hug, formally starting their proper greetings. Yujin got her turn to hug Chaeyeon then the three did a group hug. They were smiling but their tears flowed because they’ve missed each other for so long but were now together again.

“Let me get in there.” Sakura pouted.

They broke and Chaeyeon went to hug her, with Yena and Yujin cooing. The van caught up and various people came out of it once it stopped.

“Chaeyeon-ah!!” Yuri ran and tackled her.

Chaeyeon hugged her back. They got up and Minju got her turn to hug Chaeyeon. Nako and Hitomi became playful that they let themselves be carried by her.

“Chaewon’s on the line.” Yuri inched her phone close to Chaeyeon.

YOU IDIOT! WHERE DID THE LORD PUT YOU?

“Here with you guys,” Chaeyeon answered.

You better explain to us when we meet again or I’ll kick your .

“Yes,” said Chaeyeon.

Chaewon had to hang up for duty and the circle of friends did a group hug. But all of that had to break when they heard a familiar voice.

“Having fun, imbeciles?” Chaejeong got out of her van.

“Woah!” Chaeyeon reacted. “Hi, Chaejeong-ah.”

“Lee Chaeyeon. How do you do, Miss Teacher?” Chaejeong started her phony arrogance. “I wow for this moment. You’re a primary teacher- A for Apple, B for Ball.”

Chaeyeon was unmoved while the rest ganged up for her, crossing their arms and showing their angry looks. Chaejeong continued to laugh but her burnt hand stopped her.

“Didn’t I tell you before that one day, our trains will travel?” Chaejeong began. “Just as I predicted. Mine traveled straight while yours traveled in reverse. From a medical professional, you fell to become a primary teacher!”

Minju and Yuri wanted to kick her but Chaeyeon didn’t let them. “Anything else, Chaejeong?”

“What’s your salary? 50000 Won? For me, that’s like 5000 dollars.” Chaejeong continued. “It’s even lower than the salary of my company’s janitress!”

“Cut the crap, you dip.” Yujin spat.

“You’re just as crappy for defending a person who gave nothing but crap.” Chaejeong spat back. “She studied using a different name, creating treachery in PD48 University. She made a petty dream to change the system, let alone change the world. Now, look where it got her!” She pointed at Chaeyeon again. “Do you know what she changed?! She changed kids’ diapers!!”

“Chaeyeon-ah, aren’t you going to break her jaw?”

“No, Yena-ya. I won’t do that.”

“Well, I’ll break it for you.” Yena rampaged but Chaeyeon calms her down.

“Calm down, Yena-ya. It’s not worth it.” Chaeyeon added and her friends agreed.

Chaejeong continued her backlash. The friends didn’t like it but knowing Chaeyeon, she was never the woman to fire back onto someone. Just as she said before, it isn’t worth it.

“Do you also remember the time I told you that one day, you’ll cry and I laugh? It has happened, Chaeyeon.” Chaejeong snickered as she handed some papers. “Sign this. Accept that you lost and I won.”

Chaeyeon read the contents and bursts out of laughter. “A declaration of defeat? You’re unbelievable, Chaejeong-ah.”

“You’re a crazy woman and you’ll always be one.” Nako chuckled too.

“You’re not going to sign that, Chaeyeon-ah.” Minju spoke.

“Nah. I’ll sign. If I don’t, it’ll only cause distress to all of us. As you said, it’s not worth it.” Chaeyeon said and got her pen.

Chaeyeon read every word and signed. Chaejeong was nosy, checking if Chaeyeon did her part but suddenly, her eyes glued onto a pin on Chaeyeon’s chest, just where her heart is.

“Yah. Isn’t that the Diamond Pin? Did you pinch it from Director Kim?”

“No. It was given to me.” Chaeyeon said while signing. “But do you have to dwell onto it too? Just forget it.”

“Liar. It wouldn’t be given to you.” Chaejeong spat and tore it away from its place. “Because this…if for winners…not losers.”

Sakura became worried this time. The friends were fidgety, wanting to gang up to Chaejeong and kick her for insulting Chaeyeon. But Chaeyeon’s vibe gave them the sign to chill as if saying that Chaeyeon herself will handle the situation.

Of course, her friends and future lover trusted her.

“Listen, Chaeyeon…” Chaejeong wrapped an arm around her shoulder and they walked forward. “If your school needs help, call either Minji or Chanju for a donation.”

Chaeyeon received a business card and stopped following Chaejeong from there. She could only chuckle at Chaejeong as she sings her victory song. She returned to her friends, laughing. “Oh, my…Miss 79 hasn’t changed at all.”

“You’re right, Chaeyeon-ah. She isn’t worth it.” Minju added. “It’s best to ignore her.”

“Agreed. She’s the crappy one.” Yujin commented.

“The good thing is that we found Chaeyeon and we are reunited. Also, her name isn’t Chaeryeong anymore.” Sakura began. “Because imagine after marriage, she’d be Miyawaki Chaeryeong.”

Sakura reacted, making everyone laugh. Chaeyeon couldn’t help her smiles. “I agree. Miyawaki Chaeyeon would be nice…but I think Lee Kkura would sound better.”

Everyone cooed, even the married couples adored them. Chaeyeon playfully made a heart sign to Sakura and the cherry blossom reacted, giving more reaction from the others.

“Alright. Let’s make this clear.” Yuri stopped and asked. “Your name’s Chaeyeon now, right?”

“Yes, Yuri-ya. It’s my real name since birth and I let people call me that in personal environments. I also happen to have another name but I’m only called of that during work.”

“And what name is that?” Minju asked.

“Cherry Lee.”

“Cherry?!” Everyone reacted, even Nako and Hitomi. “Cherry Lee?!”

“You’d be Cherry Miyawaki...” Sakura commented in a daze.

“Y-You’re a scientist?!” Minju got her turn to ask.

“You’re the said first Korean female in the century that has 2000 patents?!!” Yuri said like she was rapping.

“Change of plans. I’ll be the one to change my name after marriage.” Sakura batted in again.

“You mean you’re Chaejeong’s Cherry Lee?” Yujin asked.

“Are you the one the world wants?!” Yena asked while chuckling.

“Yah, Chaeyeon-ah, you’re already a school head and now a scientist?” Nako was just as shocked.

“Is this what you meant in our lessons as underlings? Why didn’t you inform us?” Hitomi jumped in.

“All yes, guys,” Chaeyeon said. “For you, Nako and Hitomi, I didn’t inform you because it was supposed to be a surprise when you finished your lessons under me.”

“Surprise?” Everyone wondered.

“It’s a bridge that we’ll cross when we get there,” Chaeyeon said and they didn’t think too much about it.

“So, Chaeyeon-ah, are you a scientist or a teacher?” Hitomi asked for assurance.

“I’m a scientist AND a teacher. My workplace revolves onto being a scientist but most of my dedication will always be in WM Elementary School to teach the children.” Chaeyeon answered.

“So you’re THE Cherry Lee?!” Yena asked one more time.

“Yes. I’m THE Cherry Lee.”

With their situation, all of them realized the bits and pieces and laughed at their hardest. Now, they understand Chaeyeon’s timings within the situation. Finally, they were getting the luxury of degrading a particular someone down to her phony arrogance.

“Hey, Miss 79!!” Yujin called.

“Yah, Lee Chaejeong!! Come back here!” Yena added her yells.

Chaejeong ignored and even made a gesture. “Take that, you imbeciles!!”

Everyone continued to laugh while calling Chaejeong. Chaeyeon smirked and decided to start her wily demonstration.

“Hold on. I’ll stop her.” Chaeyeon spoke and got her phone. “Grab your popcorn and prepare for a spectacle.”

The friends nodded. Yujin and Yena pat her while Sakura hugged her from the back.

+++

Chaejeong walked carrying her ton of pride. She was victorious. Finally, she proved Chaeyeon wrong. A call from a very special person had to add. She was nervous but she answered her call.

Greetings, Miss Lee Chaejeong.

“Miss Cherry! I can’t believe it’s you!” Chaejeong grinned from ear to ear. “What made you call, ma’am?”

I apologize, Miss Chaejeong, for I regret to inform you that I can’t sign the deal with your company.

“What, ma’am?” Chaejeong panicked. “Why, ma’am?”

How am I supposed to sign? You took my pen.

Laughter was heard. A contagious laugh dominated it all, leaving Chaejeong confused like a deer caught in the headlights. “What pen, ma’am? I didn’t get you…”

I apologize again. My mouth slipped the wrong word. It’s actually “pin”.

“I’m sorry, Miss Cherry…but I still don’t get it. “

L.C.Y.

Chaejeong gasped as the Diamond Pin on her chest changed into a pen.

­­D.P.

Chaejeong was shocked as the pen changed back into the Diamond Pin.

Do you get it now, Chaejeong-ah? It’s the object that you took from me. The Diamond Pin.

“Diamond…Pin…” Chaejeong was still on the call as she faced back, seeing something that could change her life forever. “M-Miss Ch-Cherry?”

”Yes, Chaejeong-ah?” Chaeyeon waved as her friends stuck their tongues at Miss 79. “A for Apple, B for Ball, P for Phony.”

Chaejeong checked the declaration and she almost fell to her knees. The last part went like this.

Lee Chaeryeong   Ms. Cherry Lee

Chaejeong was damned. She looked to see Chaeyeon crossing her arms as the rest were laughing at her.

“I for Idiocy,” Yena added.

“And T for Transformation.” Yujin finished.

Chaeyeon watched as Chaejeong was lost with that one demonstration. It was about time that Miss 79 learned her lesson and degraded her own pride. It was also time for payback after everything she did to her friends and to herself. It was about time that the lost sheep shall be guided by the shepherd.

“Y-You got m-me, Chaeyeon- I mean, Miss Cherry! That was a good one that it totally floored me!” Chaejeong spoke, her feisty nature gone in a second.

“Did it?” Chaeyeon asked, raising an eyebrow. “If so, what do you hope for?”

“I-I just hope that our p-personal problem won’t affect this deal,” Chaejeong spoke, almost begging.

“Yah, Lee Chaejeong!” Yena and Yujin drew forward and imitated her gesture. “Take that, you imbecile.”

“Come on, Chaeyeon-ah. I was just joking.” Chaejeong became weak and immature, whining like a kid who lost in a fight. “Deep down, I always know you’d do great things.”

They reacted, even Chaeyeon laughed and pointed out. “Ohohoho~ that’s sudden…but you fibbing, Chaejeong-ah~”

“No, no!! Really, I swear to that!” Chaejeong added. “I’m telling you. Chaeyeon – 100, Chaejeong – 0. You win and I lose.”

“Mhmmm…” Chaeyeon nodded but she was enjoying herself.

“You don’t believe me?” Chaejeong asked.

“Why should I?” Chaeyeon playfully asked, making the friends laugh harder.

Chaejeong turned around and took her pants off, showing the Union Jack underwear that bears her nickname. The sight made most of them look away, with Minju urging to puke.

“What the , Miss 79?!” Nako covered her eyes.

“Beware of farts!” Yena added.

“Thou art great, Your Eminence!!” Chaejeong squatted while doing a peace sign. “Please accept this humble offering!!”

“Free advice, Miss Cherry Lee,” Sakura whispered in her ear. “Run.”

Chaejeong turned around, just in time for Chaeyeon to yell. “Run for your lives!!”

They scattered away. Some tripped but they got to their feet and ran again. Wives got tired but their husbands carried them on their backs. For Chaeyeon, she and Sakura held hands and ran together.

“Chaeyeon-ah~~” Chaejeong was ed up as she puts her pants again and chased them. “Come on, man. I’ll lose my job if the deal won’t be signed and Minji and Chanju will ditch me!”

It was settled. The one who ditched the Eminence’s belief was down in the pit of shame. For Her Eminence and the One, her words were stated correctly in their reality.

Study for accomplishment, not for affluence. Follow excellence and success will chase you. Lower clothes down.

+++

All of them back at Chaeyeon’s office, settling their matters. As much as all of them wanted to stay, they had to go back to their own lives. They were gathered around the table to talk about things.

“Where’s Chaejeong?” Yujin looked around.

“She’s in the van, maybe thinking deeply on how she acted,” Minju answered. “What’s your disposition on the deal, Chaeyeon-ah?”

“I’ll sign the deal since I need her company’s investment. But I might talk to the CEO to depose Chaejeong off of her position.” Chaeyeon sighed.

“You’re always very considering, Chaeyeon-ah,” said Yena.

“When we’ll we meet next?” Yuri asked. “This time, Hyewon-unnie, Chaewon, and Wonyoung should come.”

“Agreed,” Nako added. “It’s also been a while since we did stuff, like visit Minami and the graves of Kaeun-san and Eunbi-san.”

Chaeyeon had the thought. It’s been a while since she saw her friends. Sometimes, she wondered if she’ll ever get her chance to repay all the memories she lost.

“Chaeyeon-ah, let me ask you something,” Yujin spoke. “Why did you leave without saying goodbye?”

It hit Chaeyeon. Her eyes gazed at all the members and stopped at Sakura. Sakura reached to hold her hand tight and Chaeyeon began to talk.

“I had a lot in my head. With the return of my memories, I didn’t know how to face tomorrow that I had to leave. During my phases, I had a lot of questions.” Chaeyeon began. “Why did the accident happen to me? Why did my parents keep it from me until their deathbeds? Why couldn’t I remember anything after that? Why did I have to hide? Did I deserve to have another chance to live? Did I deserve my friends? If I stayed, would the same bad things that had happened return and harm them?”

Sakura understood. Nako and Hitomi did too for Chaeyeon had shared to them. Chaeyeon knew most of her friends didn’t understand so she told her story. But before she did, Yena raised.

“Chaeyeon-ah, we met with Chaeryeong. She told us most of it but we were curious about your accident.”

“What happened, buddy?” Yujin added.

“I was like a super genius. I gained fame but higher-ups saw it as an opportunity and a threat. If I wasn’t aware, I would’ve been a lab rat but they came in the apartment and shot me in the head.”

“So you lost your memories on that part of the past?” Yujin asked.

“Yes. I started over and what not…and got to PD48 University and met you guys.”

“Yah…” Yuri mumbled, getting teary. “We meant what we said…that we accepted you. We always had because you’ve done a lot for us…but why did you go?”

“To replenish myself until I had the chance to meet you again.” Chaeyeon reasoned.  “I’m sorry if I didn’t inform you. I’m also sorry for not calling you. I want you all to know that there’s never a day I won’t put you in my mind and heart because you’re all very important to me.”

It became quiet but the sniffles became evident to most of them, especially to Yena and Yujin.

“Yah…you’re a chopper of onions.” Yena huffed, making most of them chuckle. “We get it. But please…do not keep yourself away from us.”

“Yeah. We’re friends, Chaeyeon-ah.” Yujin added. “We’d never forgive ourselves if anything happened to you, let alone not seeing you again.”

Chaeyeon joined them in tears, saying. “I’m sorry again. But I promise to be in touch with you all...always.”

“You better swear that, Chaeyeon-ah.” Minju added. “We have recorded your voice as proof.”

Chaeyeon nodded and got up to hug them. All of her friends couldn’t help but cry and hug her back. Her last stop was to hug Sakura and the cherry blossom tightened it, sending coos around the place.

“You better invite us to your wedding in the future,” Yena spoke.

“Of course. I’ll have two best men for it.” Chaeyeon said, causing her and Yujin to cheer.

A sound from the clock disrupted them. Nako went to check the time and gasped. “It’s almost three in the afternoon.”

“But we don’t want to go yet.” Yujin huffed.

“It’s fine, guys. I’ll be having a meeting in Seoul this Friday, a said meeting with Miss 79.” Chaeyeon shared. “We’ll settle time for a hangout. I’ll let Yena and Yujin take charge of it.”

All of them cheered and went to do a group hug. Most of them broke but not Yena and Yujin. The rest were teary again. Chaeyeon couldn’t help her own as she hugged her best friends tighter.

“Hey…we’ll see each other again. We’ll always be in touch, okay?” Chaeyeon said to them. “Buddies…please don’t cry…”

“All is well?” Yena and Yujin asked while patting their chests.

“All is well,” Chaeyeon answered and did the same gesture.

Yuri and Minju went to hug her again and the lovebirds had to say goodbye to her Eminence and her underlings. Chaeyeon, Hitomi, and Nako decided to them all to the van when Sakura stopped Chaeyeon. Hitomi and Nako decided to do the escorting to give the couple their time.

“Come on, Kkura-chan,” Chaeyeon spoke. “The earlier you can go home, the better.”

“Can’t I stay here with you?” Sakura asked.

“I have to work here. You also have to work at the hospital.” Chaeyeon said, reaching to kiss Sakura’s hand. “Don’t worry. I’ll come back for you.”

“You better.” Sakura spat, letting Chaeyeon’s hand hold her cheek.

Chaeyeon wanted to stay this way. She could curse towards their work fields to why did they have to keep themselves apart. Nonetheless, Chaeyeon decided to conclude this meeting by kissing Sakura’s forehead. “After our reunion, we’ll go on our date.”

“You better swear on that.” Sakura pouted.

“Of course.”

A kiss on the lips was the farewell Chaeyeon got. She watched Sakura hop on the van and her friends waving goodbye to her. Hitomi and Nako did the same as they got back to Chaeyeon’s side and watched the van go.

“Ah…this has been a wonderful reunion for us, Chaeyeon-ah.” Hitomi said.

“Because of that, there’ll be changes of plans,” Chaeyeon said and got inside.

Nako and Hitomi wondered but they could only follow Chaeyeon. At the back of their minds, it was the most wonderful day they had. For Chaeyeon, it was a catalyst to her new life.

All was well for them, finally…