An Idiotic Conclusion

The Mindset of Idiots

Another day begins in PD48 University as all is well with most of the students, especially with the circle of friends. The remaining friends were expected to graduate this year and the final exams were their tickets to walking on the aisle with togas worn over their bodies.

“Ah…I’m getting nervous…” Nako spoke, her little figure pacing back and forth. “…we had to deal this after the delivery and Wonyoung’s recovery.”

“Will we be able to ace this without studying anything?” Minju wondered.

“Don’t worry, Minju-ya.” Yujin gave her back a pat. “We’ll be fine. All is well.”

All of them knew Yujin was right. Minju seemed to agree, feeling proud that Yujin wasn’t the coward anymore. The help she got in saving Wonyoung became her beacon of change.

“Yena-ya, you’re nervous too?” Yuri asked.

“I’m overwhelmed.” Yena spoke.

“Why?” Chaewon asked.

Yena spared a wink to Yuri and the latter got her point. She felt proud that she tackled Yena for a hug. The witnesses cooed.

“You’ll know soon.” Yena cackled.

“Speaking of which, where did our Chaeryeong go?” Nako stopped pacing and sat with them.

“She says she had to do something.” Yujin answered. “Whatever it is, she can handle it.”

“True. There’s never a thing our Chaeryeong can’t handle.” Yena added and everyone agreed.

+++

There was never a thing Chaeryeong can’t handle. At least, that’s what her friends say.

Despite the events that had happened, she and her friends didn’t have excuses for themselves. Right after Wonyoung started to recover, they immediately went back to take their exams. It was like going to war defenselessly. The cold air conditioner and the pressure of taking it for five long hours without breaks tolled their system. It was a second time for Chaeryeong to feel a little pressure, all because of an exam.

The same pressure returned. After the exam, she had to excuse herself from her friends. She told them she had something to do but in reality, she had to meet Director Kim. Chaeryeong had to lie. If they’ve known about the secret meeting, they’ll all blow a fuse. After everything Director Kim did, there was no way they’d let Chaeryeong talk to her again.

But with truth comes freedom. Chaeryeong had to say a part of it while she expected Director Kim to say most of it.

“Ma’am?” Chaeryeong spoke while she knocked.

Come in.

Chaeryeong got inside with a shocked look. It was a first for her to hear Director Kim call her with a gentle demeanor.

“Please sit down.” Director Kim pointed at a chair in front of her.

Chaeryeong closed the door and greeted Director Kim. She greeted back and watched Chaeryeong sit down. The shock returned when Director Kim offered a sandwich. Chaeryeong had to accept out of respect.

“Shall we begin?”

Chaeryeong gulped her recent bite. She placed the sandwich on the table and nodded, starting off. “How did you know me, Director?”

“That stature, the round face, and the personality. It’s what Eunbi would describe about you.”

A mention of Eunbi’s name stirred Chaeryeong’s heartstrings. It made her miss the girl so much.

“She also knows that you’re very excellent in your studies. Graduating two courses at an early age wasn’t a joke.”

Chaeryeong gulped of all that had happened. Even if there was a trigger leading her to forget most of it, she could never forget some parts of it.

After her usual life with parents and younger sisters, she remembered herself in an apartment of four. She was the last person to apply for a vacant room, meeting three women close to her age but far from school years.

Chaeryeong spoke about it and Director Kim listened while scooting a picture of a familiar building. “Is this what you mean?”

Chaeryeong saw the same apartment in her head and nodded.

“This was an apartment where my nieces stayed.” Director Kim began. “They were studying far from home. They would’ve had the house to themselves but instead, they wanted to rent an apartment so I let them live independently, hence to why they lived there.”

Chaeryeong looked at the picture again and another thought came. She was reminded of the same apartment where she took a drunk Sakura inside. She also recalled everything she had witnessed and shared it to Director Kim.

“I saw a familiar picture of four women in the apartment. Sakura-chan and Kaeun-nim were one of the two…”

Chaeryeong felt a little headache. Director Kim checked if she was alright but the student refused to end everything here. She needed answers. This was her chance to settle everything.

Three women caught her eye in the picture of the apartment.

“On the left is Hyewon, on the right is Sakura, and in the middle is Eunbi.”

“Director…when did your nieces move to that apartment?” Chaeryeong decided to ask.

“Just when Hyewon started college. Eunbi was in middle school while Sakura was in elementary school. A year after, Hyewon moved out and another duo filled in. One was Kaeun…and the other was you, Chaeyeon.”

Chaeryeong had another memory again.

She was ten. She rested for one year after finishing her primary and secondary education. She asked her parents if she can study in Seoul and they agreed. She got her opportunity, needing a place to stay and managing to find an apartment. The same apartment in the picture.

“That’s true…” Chaeryeong rubbed her temples.

Director Kim scooted two identical pictures, showing the same picture she saw at the apartment. She grabbed her wallet and lets out a picture that was identical. She was shocked.

“I found it in Eunbi’s belongings. And when we had a cleanup on Kaeun’s dormitory room, she also had the picture.”

Eunbi’s belongings, Kaeun’s room, and of her own wallet. Those had the same pictures. If Chaeryeong made a conclusion, she had an attachment to the three.

“Let me fill it in for you.” Director Kim told her. “You stayed with Eunbi, Kaeun, and Sakura for four years. You shared a bond not only as roommates but as friends…even in love, I presume.”

It was all sudden for Chaeryeong to fill in. But all the information she gathered created a link to her sole reason of studying in PD48 University.

“Are you alright?”

“Y-Yes, ma’am…” Chaeryeong nodded.

“Will it be okay if I tell you something?”

“Definitely.”

Director Kim scooted a newspaper towards Chaeryeong. The headline showed of a little girl involved in as assassination within the same apartment. She read the news and the thoughts hit her again, leading to tears.

She was by the door, with Eunbi, Kaeun, and Sakura behind her. Knocks were loud as people on the other side were calling her name angrily.

She watched her friends still frozen. She became angry and pushed them off to leave when the people forced their way in. The three went to escape with two subordinates on their tail but the leader stopped them.

She froze as a painful impact hit her on the head. She fell on the ground and the said people made their escape, leaving her to bathe onto her own blood.

Chaeryeong never thought she’d have that memory again. Director Kim couldn’t even believe to hear another part of a story she knew.

“You saved them, especially my nieces.” Director Kim began, eyes teary. “The investigation went on smoothly since many people were involved, especially your parents.”

“What happened after the incident, Director?” Chaeryeong asked.

“The culprits were caught, you were said to have survived and your parents, Kaeun’s mother, and I, made an agreement.” Director Kim spoke. “Since your parents held greater authority because you became a victim, she made Kaeun’s mother and I swear to forget everything. I also rooted it to my nieces as much as Kaeun’s mom did to her own daughter.”

“My parents also did it to me when I survived…” Chaeryeong realized. “…even to my sisters…”

“It was the only way to protect you. I had to do the same for my nieces…”

Chaeryeong wiped her tears away. Director Kim comforts her. “We still have tomorrow.”

“It’s okay, Director Kim. I have to know now.” Chaeryeong pleaded. “I still have friends to talk to. They have to know too.”

Director Kim nodded and scooted a diary. Chaeryeong received it and gulped. “Th-This is Eunbi’s…”

“It’s her diary. Let me tell you that even if she had to forget that incident, she could never. She could never forget because of you.”

Chaeryeong gulped and read the contents. The entries were from a span of years she was with her, Kaeun, and Sakura to further ones. It had the happiest moments within the first four years and had the miserable ones after that. It shared her pressures in life and the pain she had of losing her true love. It also had notes in making the Diamond Pin perfect and the suicide note was in the last page, finally concluding Chaeryeong’s purpose within her life in PD48 University.

Chaeryeong’s tears dropped harder as her memories were returning, especially her memories with Eunbi.

“I want to apologize to you.” Director Kim spoke as she was teary. “Call me a beast who rampaged onto many lives. I mocked my own sister who had been the true mother of my nieces. I let my nieces carry the weights of my own selfishness. And I increased the weight of their friends’ burdens, almost taking their lives right on the spot.”

“You ARE, Director Kim.” Chaeryeong faced her. “We may not be of the same blood but for my friends’ sake, especially Eunbi’s sake, I curse you. But…”

“But?”

“But keeping onto a grudge isn’t part of my life. And I’m sure my loved ones wouldn’t want it either.” Chaeryeong added. “In behalf of them, you’re forgiven. But I hope it gave you light to change for the better. Don’t give the future students the same treatment.”

Director Kim can never assure the finish line towards a better persona but she will try to. “I’ll do what I can…”

“Thank you, Director.”

“Thank you too.” Director Kim said. “I have another question.”

“What is it?”

“Why use a different name?”

“For safety purposes…plus I did it for my family, especially for my younger sister.”

Chaeryeong shared her story to Director Kim, consuming another hour. Director Kim was unmoved but her heart was touched. As Eunbi, Kaeun, and everyone else that had better lives because of Chaeryeong would say, she was gifted. Very gifted.

“Director Kim, can I ask my favors for this talk?”

“Yes, you may.”

“Let my friends graduate despite their marks. My friends need to because I believe it could help better their lives.” Chaeryeong insisted. “And please don’t change my name for the degree. I truly need it to stay that way.”

“Granted.” Director Kim said. “Can I also request some things?”

“What is it, Director?”

“When you get out of this institution, please use your real name in the future. And may you be with Sakura.” Director Kim added. “She had been longing sadly but you give her hope. I cannot let Sakura follow Eunbi and Kaeun. Not again.”

“I’ll try, Director.”

“You’re very gifted. I hope you’ll always remember that.” Director Kim couldn’t help her tears. “Thank you for this chance to talk to you and to finally see you again…Chaeyeon-ah.”

“I’ll always remember you calling my name, Director Kim. Thank you for letting me regain my memory.”

Chaeryeong and Director Kim got up when Director Kim pulled Chaeryeong for a friendly hug. Chaeryeong hugged back and one they broke, Director Kim fixed her pin.

“Eunbi and Kaeun would be so happy.” Director Kim said. “See you on stage, Chaeyeon-ah.”

Chaeryeong gave her last bow and left the office. The first step outside was too relieving that she hid on a post and cried her heart out. Some explanations were yet to discover but she was happy to get the main ones, that her purpose of life was reassuring her past, was gaining her unexpected happiness in the present, and was perceiving a brighter future.

All was well for her.

“Chaeryeong-ah!!”

Chaeryeong looked and saw her friends. Judging from their worried looks and seeking gestures, they must’ve looked for her. Nako had the keenest sense and found her.

“Chaeryeong-ah!” Yena ran to her first, seeing her cry. “What’s wrong?!”

“Buddy, what happened?” Yujin joined them. “Were you at the Director’s office?”

“Did she do something to you this time?!” Nako snapped and wanted to rage onto the Director but Chaewon and Yuri were stopping her.

Chaeryeong wiped her tears away and got up. Their friends were still worried that they still checked on her.

“I’m okay. These are tears of joy.” Chaeryeong snorted. “I’m just happy that we’ll all get out of this hell, finally.”

“Aish! You made us worry back there.” Yena hugged her again.

“Let me get in there.” Yujin squeezed herself in. “You look broken down. Do that when we’re around because we’ll always be here for you.”

“Ah, you’re making me cry again.” Chaeryeong mumbled as she hugged her friends back.

Chaeryeong also lets go to hug the rest. After the hugs came smiles on their faces as if nothing wrong was going to affect them. And that was proven true.

“What took you so long?” Yuri asked. “What did you and Director Kim do?”

“We talked. Nothing happened bad. I promise.” Chaeryeong assured them.

“You were gone for almost the whole afternoon. Glad that ’s over.” Chaewon added.

“Anyway, we shall go at the hospital. Wonyoung’s dying to see us all.” Yujin added.

“Okay. Then let’s go!” Chaeryeong added and ran.

The rest spared laughter and caught up to Chaeryeong.

+++

The friends hitched two taxis and arrived at the hospital. The medical seniors got into their duty while the rest went to the information area to check if they can visit Wonyoung.

“No need to ask, guys. Just state your names and you’ll be in.”

“Sakura-neesan.” Nako greeted. “Is Wonyoung awake?”

“Yes. Her family visited a while ago but for now, Hitomi and Hyewon-unnie are watching her.”

“Eh? But if your unnie’s here, who’s watching Minami?” Yuri wondered.

“Her husband, Chowon-unnie, had been reassigned here in Korea. It’s her day-off so she’s at home watching over Minami.” Sakura added then looked around.

“Unnie, you’re looking for Chaeryeong, aren’t you?” Minju asked.

All of them cooed, leaving Sakura to blush lightly. “Aigoo…just go and visit Wonyoung.”

They were obliged to go. Sakura went to the intern’s office and saw Chaeryeong and the others. All of them spared to greet their unnie and Sakura greeted back.

“Duty calls,” Sakura spoke.

“About time. Let’s go.” Yujin spoke while hastily wearing her lab coat.

Chaewon and Yena were right by her tail. Sakura was relieved as she got inside the office. She was happy that she and Chaeryeong have some time together.

“Kkura-chan.” Chaeryeong called, getting her attention. “You seemed dazed. Is everything okay?”

“Everything’s fine,” Sakura spoke and leaned by the door. “I got a text from Imonie. She said that you came to see her. Is that true?”

“Yes. We had a talk.” Chaeryeong added, finally putting her lab coat on. “Don’t fret. Nothing happened bad.”

Chaeryeong would’ve gone for her duty when Sakura stopped her. She felt Sakura’s firm hold turn into a tender one. Chaeryeong looked at Sakura and felt a pound in her chest. Such was the case for Sakura towards Chaeryeong.

“What’s the face?” Chaeryeong asked.

Sakura couldn’t contain her emotions and hugged Chaeryeong. “I was worried. I was worried that Imonie would do something ty this time.”

“She didn’t. I promise.” Chaeryeong hugged back and comforted her.

During the contact, both felt familiar with each other, like it was like Déjà vu. Sakura broke suddenly and Chaeryeong sighed while patting her head.

“You don’t need to worry. It’s okay.” Chaeryeong added. “Come on. Let’s go and see Wonyoung.”

Sakura agreed. She held her hand and they went like couples holding hands. They got to Wonyoung’s room and it was like a party.

“Unnie~” Wonyoung cheered while spreading her arms.

Chaeryeong chuckled and went to hug her. She broke to check on Wonyoung and she couldn’t help a smile seeing Wonyoung’s own.

Wonyoung’s paralysis triggered her whole system like time froze on her, hence to why she maintained a youthful look and personality. Chaeryeong adored her. She had proportions of a lady but she was still the baby inside.

“Hitomi-chan. Unnie.” Chaeryeong greeted Hitomi and Hyewon.

Hitomi always spared to hug Chaeryeong but Hyewon had a look.

“Chaeryeong-ah, can we talk outside?” Hyewon asked.

“Sure, unnie.” Chaeryeong agreed.

They excused themselves when Sakura stopped Chaeryeong again.

“Kkura, it’s alright.” Chaeryeong lets herself go and followed Hyewon.

The door closed in front of Sakura and the rest of the witnesses wondered.

“I have a feeling, unnies…” Wonyoung spoke.

“What is it, Wonyoung-ah?”

“Yujin-unnie, Chaeryeong-unnie’s carrying a heavy weight on her shoulders. I can sense it.”

“Now that Wonyoung mentioned it, Chaeryeong’s been serious and down lately.” Chaewon said.

“Don’t meddle onto it negatively.” Yujin spoke. “Chaeryeong may not tell it now but in time, she will. She trusted us when we had loads so we must trust her too.”

“True. She’ll tell us soon. And it’s up to us to be there for her, to listen wholeheartedly, and to accept.” Yena added.

All of them agreed but Sakura still had her hunch and worry. She couldn’t help but wait by the door.

+++

Hyewon and Chaeryeong have settled themselves at the canteen, feeding onto a small cake.

“Unnie, do we have something to talk about?” Chaeryeong asked.

Hyewon shoves the piece on , gulping it down like drinking water straight from a trench. She had the usual look but Chaeryeong felt a little scared.

“Chaeyeon?” Hyewon spoke. “Is that really you?”

She couldn’t keep it any longer and sighed.  “I assume that your aunt has told you.”

“Be honest with me.” Hyewon demanded.

Chaeryeong nodded. “Yes. It’s been a while, unnie.”

Hyewon’s aura went scarier, making Chaeryeong look away. Hyewon would’ve forced the truth out but she thought Chaeryeong shouldn’t be pressured after everything she did for her, especially to Minami.

“Yes. Imonie actually told me that she’ll see you before she went to work.”

“She didn’t tell Kkura?” Chaeryeong asked back.

“She only texted her. She still doesn’t know. Imonie told me not to tell Sakura because she wants you to tell her.” Hyewon spoke then sighed. “It’s just too shocking for me to accept. You were reported dead.”

“But I’m a shadow in the real world now, unnie. I am my younger sister’s shadow.”

“Why?” Hyewon spat.

“The price of being too gifted comes with an absolute consequence.”

“But it’s an absolute consequence that you need to resolve. You know that.” Hyewon spoke again. “Why didn’t you return right away? Why didn’t you say anything of who you really are to your friends? To Sakura?”

Chaeryeong took some time to meditate before she spoke her heart out. She didn’t want to because with that comes the price she didn’t want to accept. But what choice did she have?

“I was afraid that those same bastards will hunt me again. They might hurt the ones I love. I didn’t want that to happen again.” Chaeryeong teared up within her strong persona.

Hyewon rubbed her temples. Chaeryeong sighed again, getting another piece and stressed-ate.

“I was thankful with my own life that you protected my sisters from them. Like Imonie, I accepted to forget. Sakura and Kaeun did but Eunbi…she could never.”

“I blame myself. She had been like that because of me.” Chaeryeong felt bad again. “I felt being a fault for deleting bits of it from my memory. But, Unnie…” She looked at Hyewon. “…who would’ve thought she led me to this life?”

“What do you mean?”

“Believe me or not, she lingered in my head. It was my sole reason why I studied in PD48 University.” Chaeryeong added. “But I never thought she was already gone.”

“I’m sorry for that.” Hyewon wiped her tears away. “You really loved each other, then?”

“I still have to regain memories bit by bit but I feel that we do.” Chaeryeong added again. “Now I want to ask you something, Unnie.”

“What is it?”

“You and Kkura said once that Minami responded to me and Kaeun-nim…but Kaeun-nim was long dead before Minami was even developing. What was that about?”

Hyewon felt this was a win-win situation. She gets information from Chaeryeong and she will share her own to Chaeryeong.

“Chowon and I had an accident a year after we started college. I got pregnant before…”

Chaeryeong was shocked but she thought about the possibilities and understood. “Is it why you left the apartment?”

“Yes. I had to move in Chowon’s apartment because of the baby. I didn’t inform Imonie, fearing that she won’t support my sisters and I due to my negligence. Only my sisters and Kaeun know.”

“Is it why you said the baby responded to Kaeun-nim?”

“Yes. That slipped off of my mouth. I never expected Sakura to join the charade.” Hyewon sighed. “What I meant of that was of my very first baby. My sisters and Kaeun would say words to the baby but she mostly responded to Kaeun. It was sad…she would’ve been named ‘Minami’ first.”

“What happened, unnie?”

“Miscarriage.”

“I’m so sorry for your loss, unnie.”

Hyewon continued to tear up but she continued to talk. “It was painful for me and Chowon. With that, we decided to be serious with our responsibilities. We graduated and got married at the proper time. Another chance to have a baby girl was a blessing from Heaven. When I was going through labor pains in Imonie’s car, I grew worried.”

“Unnie…”

“I didn’t want to face another miscarriage. I wanted her to be healthy.” Hyewon held Chaeryeong’s hand. “That’s why I’m eternally grateful to you for saving her.”

Chaeryeong nodded. The tense atmosphere was starting to cease. Secrets kept hidden in the pits of their souls have broken free, giving peace.

“Chaeyeon-ah, please tell them, especially Sakura.”

“I will, unnie. I’ll make sure they know before graduation.” Chaeryeong sighed. “I owe them an explanation for giving me new light to my life.”

“That’s good to hear, Chaeyeon-ah.” Hyewon said. “You don’t mind me calling you that, right?”

“Only when it’s the two of us, unnie. I can’t expose myself until graduation.”

“Okay. I won’t question your timings.” Hyewon said before eating again.

Chaeryeong was relieved and resumed to eat her slice.

+++

It was two days before graduation and the day of Wonyoung’s release from the hospital. It was a celebration for them that they decided to eat at a restaurant, courtesy of Hyewon and Sakura’s reservations.

“A toast for a new wonderful life.” Yena raised her glass of juice. “All is well~”

“All is well~~” Everyone joined in and they clunked their glasses together.

“Congratulations to our Student of the Year~” Yujin nudged Chaeryeong and all of them cheered.

“Nah. I bet on Miss 79 to get that award.” Chaeryeong said.

“Psh. That doesn’t deserve it.” Yuri added. “Tell you what. If you get the award, you have to accept our deal.”

“Okay. What’s the deal?” Chaeryeong asked.

“You’ll know on Graduation Day.” Yena added and everyone agreed.

“Open Forum~ Open Forum~” Chaewon chanted. “Since we’re forming this bond as friends, why don’t we share to each other of our lives?”

Nice idea, Chaewon. Chaeryeong thought.

Everyone agreed and formed a circle. They talked a lot, mostly sharing their downfalls.

Wonyoung shared of her paralysis. Sakura shared of losing her sister, her lover, and her best friend. Yuri shared of her pressures studying a course to which her family degraded. Yena shared her attempted suicide. Yujin shared her family’s poverty and the fears she manifested. Nako also shared poverty and her almost losing hope of finishing her studies. Hyewon shared of her negligence and of the loss of her baby before Minami. Hitomi shared the pressure of poverty, studying at an early age without any assurance, and graduating ahead from her deserving friend. Chaewon shared of her life raised by an abused mom and an abusive dad. And Minju shared her times that she was degraded by her loved ones due to incompetence.

Chaeryeong listened to them all and she was happy that even if her friends faced various pressures, they managed to see the positive side of it.

“Buddy? It’s your turn.” Yena spoke.

All of them were eager to listen. She got up to face her friends and exhaled. “My downfall was wearing a mask that isn’t truly mine. Wearing it made me carry a large weight on my shoulders.”

“That’s very deep, Chaeryeong-ah. What do you mean?” Yujin commented.

“Unnie, mind sharing?” Wonyoung asked. “As your friends, we want to lessen that weight.”

All of them nodded. Chaeryeong realized that it was time.

“I had a wonderful life with my loved until I lost my memory because of an accident.” Chaeryeong began, shocking most of them. “People in high authority came to the doorstep and did something to me, at least that’s what my father told me when I woke up.”

They were all silent but Sakura was starting to show reactions.

“What happened after that?” Yena asked.

“I started anew away from the life I used to live. I even had to do the weirdest errand by changing my identity.”

“Yah, Lee Chaeryeong!” Yujin snapped. “What do you mean changing an identity?”

“I’m not who you think I am.” Chaeryeong said, tearing up. “My name isn’t Lee Chaeryeong.”

“What…” Sakura mumbled as she was losing herself. “…what is your name then?”

All of them had worried faces but it wasn’t stopping the latter to tell them the truth.

“Chaeyeon. My real name is Lee Chaeyeon.”

The glass Sakura held broke and she ran outside. Everyone was shocked but Yena and Yujin were still. For the latter’s sight, everyone was crying.

“And so what if your name’s Chaeyeon…or Chaeryeong…or even Optimus Prime?” Yena started, silencing everyone. “A name won’t dictate who you are.”

“You’ll always be the nicest person we’ve ever met, no matter what name you have.” Yujin broke down. “You’ll always be our best friend.”

Chaeryeong lowered her head. She covered her face and sobbed. The downfall she shared had a positive view through her friends.

Yena and Yujin were the first to hug her. The rest gathered around her and became a crying fleet. Hyewon spared a hug and a kiss on Chaeryeong’s head before going outside to catch up to Sakura.

+++

Sakura sobbed completely. The ambiance of celebration turned towards confessions. She shared of losing her sister, her lover, and her best friend. But she never thought of finally seeing one of them after so long.

The closeness during their first meeting, the time at the cemetery, the moments at school, the joyride, the connection when they held hands and looked at each for so long, the confession she got from her, the drunken night, and the act of saving her niece, were all significant for one reason.

It was her set of signs from her best friend.

Her Chaeyeon.

“Sakura…” Hyewon went to comfort her. “Sakura, please…you need to listen to her.”

“You know and you didn’t tell me?!” Sakura snapped.

“I don’t have the right to tell you. Only Chaeyeon does.” Hyewon held her arms tight. “I know it’s too sudden to register this in your head but you need to listen to her.”

Sakura looked behind Hyewon and saw her at a distance. Hyewon lets go and went back so that the two could talk and so she could calm the rest down.

“Kkura…” Chaeryeong sniffled and walked closer.

Sakura didn’t face her and continued to cry. Chaeryeong made the move and went to back-hug her. The contact made them gain more memories as the puzzle pieces began to form.

They were of the same age but had different school years. Sakura was in elementary while Chaeyeon was in college. Sakura progressed in high school while Chaeyeon progressed in another course. Despite the differences, their friendship clicked. They would play together, study together, and were on each others’ backs when their girlfriends were busy.

Sakura was the last witness of seeing Chaeyeon being shot by unknown people. It triggered too much trauma on her that when her aunt told her and her sisters to forget everything, she was the first to submit. But when Eunbi didn’t want to, she was also the first to join her unnie down memory lane. With that, the picture she had with her closest friends was kept until then.

Sakura dubbed Chaeyeon as dead but she never thought of seeing her again. She thought that her friends close to heart left her.

Eunbi left her. Kaeun did too. But Chaeyeon remained to be with her.

“You can call me again, Kkura…”

Sakura’s tears dropped harder as she clutched onto her arms tighter. “Ch-Chaeyeon…”

“Please look at me…”

Sakura hesitated before she faced the latter. She observed her look. With just the similarities of such features, the truth reveals herself, making her cry again.

“Kkura-“

“How did I not know?!” Sakura fumed, hitting the latter’s chest many times.

“Kkura, it’s not your fault. Circumstances happened.”

“And you! Why didn’t you say anything?!”

Chaeryeong lets Sakura hit her many times before saying. “I couldn’t. I hardly remember my past life at first. I’m sorry if I was incompetent to remember. But now I remember you and Kaeun-unnie-”

A slap greeted Chaeryeong’s cheek. She didn’t budge. Even it she wasn’t at fault based on the reality, she still believed she was.

“You now remember us but not Eunbi-unnie?!”

“I don’t need to remember her. She had been inside my mind and heart this whole time.”

Sakura still couldn’t accept because she felt betrayed. For Chaeryeong, she didn’t care and told Sakura.

“I didn’t remember at first because I recently gained my memories. You have to believe me.” Chaeryeong began. “I blame the circumstances for our separation. But now that I regained them, I’m here to settle everything. Please, Kkura…” She sniffled. “…please listen to me.”

Sakura faced Chaeryeong. She decided to ask. “I saw you die before my eyes. How did you survive?”

“You were forced to forget. It bought my parents time to bring me back home to heal. We wiped our names away in Seoul and I returned to Cheorwon to start over. The incident cost me an injury and my memories. I stayed with my family since then.”

“How could you?” Sakura spat, crying. “Eunbi-unnie was so lost without you. Didn’t it occur to you to return? Why didn’t you come back?”

“It did. It’s why I studied here. Despite my parents not wanting me to return, something in me wanted to. Eunbi was always in mind and heart that I wanted to return…but I was too late…”

“To hell you were.” Sakura sniffled and wiped her tears away. “But how could you forget me and Kaeun-chan?”

“Circumstance weren’t on our side at that time. I didn’t mean to forget. But I want you to know that all those things I wanted to do for you and Kaeun-unnie were signs of my return.”

“For a moment…I thought my closest friends have gone. But circumstances of letting you return to me too late.”

“I agree. Kkura, I’m sorry…” Chaeryeong said. “It’s okay if you won’t forgive me or it’ll take you time to accept.”

Sakura was ignorant but slowly, she was giving Chaeryeong another chance. “I’m still sour to why you didn’t come to me in the beginning. But can I call you by your real name again?”

“You may.”

Sakura sniffled and hugged Chaeryeong tight. Chaeryeong hugged back and the rest got out to witness.

“Yah, Lee Chaeyeon!!”

“Guys…” She looked at her friends. “…a favor?”

“Favor, my . Hyewon-unnie spared the details.” Yujin huffed. “We meant the things we said, Chaeyeon-ah.”

“You do US a favor, Chaeyeon-ah, and let us call you by your real name.” Chaewon added.

“Also, be open to us. We don’t care if you talk now or if you talk until we’re old. As long as you’ll tell us, then we’ll be okay with it.” Yena finished.

“Okay…” She sniffled. “…now can I ask my favor?”

“What?” All of them asked.

“Please call me by my real name when it’s just us. You can call me publicly after graduation.”

“Granted.” All of them agreed again.

“Yah. I could cry again. I don’t deserve you guys-“

“Hush.” Yena drew closer with the others following.

All of them gathered to hug Chaeryeong. Chaeryeong sobbed again, feeling blessed to be accepted by them for who she truly was.

It was one shocking night for all of them but all was well.

+++

Student of the Year: Lee Chaeryeong.

All graduates, excluding a sulking Miss 79, did a standing ovation as Chaeryeong walked on the aisle, toga worn in all of its glory. Her fellow graduates within the circle of friends became emotional and were proud for their best friend while the alumni and giant baby cheered. She was the last to get her degree but her rite was the most memorable one. She finally got to the stage as Director Kim gave her the transcript of her hardwork. Yena and Yuri raced in front to take their pictures and Director was willing to have some with Chaeryeong.

As the ceremony ended, it was a mix of emotions for the graduates, especially for the circle of friends.

Yujin was ecstatic as her family came to congratulate her. Chaewon and her mother shared hugs and tears. Minju got apologies from her family and made amends. Yuri and Yena were with their families and took pictures when they met in the middle, cameras on hold.

“Let’s go take pictures.” Yuri insisted.

“Sure. I’ll also look for Chaeyeon.” Yena added.

They separated and did their tasks. Yena took pictures while scoping to look for Chaeryeong until she saw her outside the venue, putting her stuff on a hitched taxi. She gulped as Chaeryeong didn’t have her toga on and she was crying while holding the degree.

Yena froze as her camera lens made gaze with Chaeryeong’s own. Chaeryeong mouthed a word and got inside the taxi. Then, the vehicle left.

Yena would’ve captured a moment with her friends. They would’ve shared emotions and vowed to meet annually.

But who knew that it was the last time they’ll ever sense of Lee Chaeyeon?