The Idiots' New Chapter

The Mindset of Idiots

Days came and went and like any existing thing, there’s beginning and end. For the case of a circle of friends, another year began and will end soon. Then again, a new one will begin as much as new lives will.

For this day, it was the job fair for PD48 University. Fifty companies will visit as much as ninety students will get their opportunity to get a job. And for a ducky in her wheelchair, she finally had little ability to get onto her own two feet again, hence to why she was eager to go.

“Did someone call a taxi?” A nurse asked the friends.

“I did.” Yena raised her hand as Chaeryeong and Sakura helped her out.

“It’s waiting.”

Yujin said thanks instead as Yena looked around. “Did any of you bring my bag? I have my resume there.”

“You won’t need a resume, Yena-ya.” Chaewon said while prepping her business coat.

“I used it,” Yujin announced, waving the paper around.

“EH?! What about me?!” Yena yelped. “How am I supposed to do the job interview?”

“You won’t be coming, Yena-ya.” Yuri added.

“How come?! I have to!”

“Yena-ya.” Yujin called again as she gets her rings off. “Most of us will go to the job interview but you're going home.”

“Excluding me, though.” Chaeryeong raised.

“You’re going with them,” said Sakura.

“Fine…I’m going.” Chaeryeong shrugged.

“Why would I go home?” Yena asked.

“Have you forgotten?” Yujin asked, finally clutching onto the removed rings. “When we were drunk, we made our promises to Chaeryeong. I won’t bring my rings during the interview while you go and tell your parents to leave Medicine and marry Photography.”

“But-“

“No buts. Give me your coat.” Yujin spat.

“Ah…seriously…” Yena huffed. “Why would I even do that?”

“Because we all doubt that you’re going to the job interview once you read this,” Sakura said, facing Yena as she showed a piece of paper.

“What’s that?”

“A letter.”

“It’s for you from New York.” Chaeryeong also faced the giant ducky.

“It’s from a photographer…” Sakura added. “Someone by the name of Ji Yeo, perhaps?”

Yena wondered when all of her friends faced her, with Chaewon waving her bag up. All of them chuckled while Yena still had the shocked reaction. “You posted my letter?!”

“It was Chaeryeong’s idea while I settled the delivery.” Minju added. “We did it during Christmas.”

“Yuri gathered your work and Nako and Hitomi did the compilation for your portfolio, in addition to the delivery,” Chaewon spoke.

“She loved your pictures, Yena-ya. She loved them so much that she wants you to assist her.” Chaeryeong also added.

“Really?”

“You’ll be doing photoshoots in New York for a year. She’ll handle the funds and will also pay you.” Sakura joined in.

Yena got the letter from Sakura’s hand and read every word. With the words from her friends and the words from the letter, she was really happy. But as she placed the letter on her lap, she felt a tang of distress in her heart, just like the one she had when she was in the brink of suicide. The friends were aware, even Yujin batted. “Yena-ya…you okay, buddy?”

“Eomma…” Yena went teary that Yujin and Yuri were quick to ease her by holding her hands. “…she-she’ll never agree…”

Chaeryeong became a last resort as she went near her, crouching to meet her level and rubbing her knees. “Buddy, look at me…look at me…”

Yena gulped and she did, facing Chaeryeong’s serious orbs of brown. “Chaeryeong-ah…”

“Go speak to your mother. Speak the words in your heart.”

Yena was really scared. Chaeryeong forced her to look again. “Can I request you to dump your pressure for this day?”

Yena gulped and tried to look at Chaeryeong properly. Naturally, if one was scared, one is forced to dump such fears. Never in her life did Chaeryeong change her personality of comforting someone.

“I’m requesting because I don’t want my best friend to be pressured. At the same time, I don’t want my best friend to regret into her deathbed if she never got her chance to do it.” Chaeryeong began. “All of us don’t just want you to remember the letter you got or the taxi at the gate that’s going to take us to opportunities that we all grab individually. We want you to remember the day you change your life for the better when you face the norms and follow what your heart is telling you.”

Yena gulped and had the thought again. “What if…”

“Then we’re here,” Chaeryeong spoke. “No matter what verdict you receive, we’ll always be by your side.”

“At least you give your all to face it,” said Yujin.

Yena was teary. She exhaled as the words hit her. With that, she finally gave her verdict.

+++

The circle of friends hopped out of a vehicle and prepping themselves up.

“Thanks for the ride, Neechan.” Minju spoke.

“No problem. And Chaeryeong-chan?” Sakura spat. “Call me when you guys are done.”

“Uhh…okay.”

“I’ll send Hitomi-chan to her work. Godspeed.” Sakura mumbled as she drove home with a waving Hitomi.

The friends waved back as Yuri went ahead for their interviews. Chaewon grabbed Chaeryeong and Yujin but the taller didn’t come with them. For Chaeryeong, she chuckled. “Finally awakening towards your passion, huh?”

“I tried, I guess…” Yujin mumbled then sighed. “You got me, Chaeryeong-ah.”

“What are you talking about?” Minju asked.

“I won’t just interview for the Medicine department,” Yujin spoke. “I also want to work as an engineer-“

“Really?” Chaeryeong became cheeky while raising her eyebrows.

“I want to be an engineer, not a medical professional.” Yujin corrected herself.

Minju gasped, even Nako and Chaewon. Chaeryeong went closer and gave a hug to her best friend. “I want you to know that you’re doing well in trying this. Whatever happens, I support you.”

The rest had little understanding. How in the world could a graduating student in Medicine work in a job for Engineering? Would it be a gamble to follow the heart?

“Go.” Chaeryeong handed another resume. “Go and try the interviews. Follow what your heart wants, Yujin-ah.”

Yujin looked at the resumes she now had; one for Medicine and another for Engineering. She couldn’t help her tears. With such a phenomenon, the friends realized that Chaeryeong did such action for a friend who wanted to end her family’s poverty while trying to follow her dream. With that, they also gathered around Yujin to hug her.

“Come on.” Nako held her hand. “Let’s go for the interview.”

Minju got closer to Yujin and pecked her cheek. “Godspeed.”

Yujin blushed lightly but the cooing Nako had to pull her. Minju went as Chaeryeong and Chaewon waved to their friends and went on their own paths.

“Will it be okay, Chaeryeong-ah?” Chaewon asked. “About Yujin and Yena, I mean…”

“Hmm…I have no concrete answer for that, Chaewon-ah.” Chaeryeong said. “I care less about the verdicts as long as they have done what their hearts want. It makes them happy…” She smiled. “…and seeing them happy makes me happy.”

“I can’t argue with that, then.” Chaewon chuckled. “Come on. Let’s go…for the interviews.”

Chaeryeong nodded as she followed the silent angel, all the while praying towards another angel that her friends will be guided, especially Yujin and Yena.

She hoped that all is well for today.

+++

“Sungmin-ah, you got the box?”

“Yes, Eomma.” The man placed it on Yena’s desk, getting the content out.

“Do you think she’ll like it?” She asked with her arms crossed.

“She’s going to love this. Don’t worry, Eomma.”

“Honey, this is quite an expensive gift.” Yena’s father spoke.

The laptop was closed by the mother, showing the yellow bow on top. She sighed as she looked at the boys, saying. “We should not be stingy of this proud day. Our Yena has recovered and will get her first job today. She deserves the gift.”

The men were silenced, remembering the times Yena was in jeopardy and that she, who’s almost a despicable mother, did not visit her own child because of excuses. It was hypocritical to give a gift to Yena after the treatment she gave to her. An idea was enough for Sungmin to blow a fuse.

It didn’t happen. A slow movement of a woman through her wheelchair became a disruption.

“Yena-ya?” The father saw her.

Sungmin sighed and ran to hug his sister. Their father became a worried man and also got the chance to greet and hug his daughter.

“Yena-ya…” The mother was shocked. “…what are you doing here? Don’t you have the job interview today?”

Yena gulped of being in the situation. She also realized that this was one opportunity she could never run away now. With a clutch onto the wheelchair and ragged breaths, she gained her composure and spoke.

“I didn’t go…” Yena looked at her family, especially towards her mother. “I don’t want to be a medical professional, Eomma.”

Even if she was faced with two men and a woman of her blood, it was an ironic sight. The men were calm as Sungmin eased his sister through pats and their father had a look, saying that it was okay. But the mother? She had a distressed look and erupted instead.

“What nonsense are you talking about?!” She spat. “That scoundrel Chaeryeong has messed up your mind by saying such words!”

“Eomma, I don’t enjoy Medicine. I at it!” Yena said as she stood still from her ground. “And Chaeryeong’s not a scoundrel. She made me live and was there with Appa, Sungmin-oppa, and my friends, all to stay with me, wherein you cannot even step a foot on the hospital just to see me.”

“Yena-“

“She also made me realize the beauty of my passion and gave me a saying- Make your passion your profession and work will become play.”

“Do you even understand the standard of your passion?!” Her mother spat again. “What will you even earn in another country?”

“I’ll be in a foreign land and I’ll even earn less but I’ll learn a lot.”

“Five years from now, when you see your friends buy their own cars and houses, you’ll curse at yourself!”

“Life as a medical professional will only bring me frustrations. A set of broken bones and a broken heart made me realize that, Eomma.” Yena spat, her weak eyes turning strong. “And with you being ignorant of my mental pain, you not visiting me, and you being ignorant about the effect of my recovery by giving me something, then I’ll curse you.”

The family was taken aback. Never in their lives would they witness their baby say such things. For her mother, never in her life would she soften her hard will for raising her only daughter.

“And if pride won’t settle this matter, then I’ll curse myself again, Eomma.”

“The world will laugh and label you as a loser for quitting this year!” Her mother maintained her pride and spat again. “Our relatives even think you’re fortunate to study in a prestigious university and with a prestigious course. What will they think when they found out that you quit?!”

“My relatives didn’t provide me with an air-conditioner. They didn’t sleep uncomfortably when I slept in comfort. They didn’t carry a small me around their shoulders when I went to the zoo…and they didn’t stay at my side when I had cancer and when I recovered from taking my own life.” Yena spoke, tears running down her face. “You did those things, Oppa…Appa…Eomma. All of your efforts matter to me that our relatives won’t make a difference.”

“What are you saying?! You think you’re some hero of a melodrama?!”

“Stop it! Whatever you say that can hurt Yena, stop it!” Yena’s father batted after breaking a fuse. “Enough of this! You’re only making her upset!”

“Appa…” Yena was crying as Sungmin tried to calm her down.

“God forbid if she does another jump because of what you’ve done!!“

The children gulped of seeing their parents arguing. Yena even had a thought that maybe what she’s trying to do was a huge mistake.

“Then the discussion’s over.” The mother spoke coldly and walked away. “I won’t say another word or her Lordship will do another jump.”

The mother sat on her chair, anger still seeping into her veins. The father instructed Sungmin to let Yena rest but the daughter shook her head. She boosted herself up, skidding the wheels towards her mother until they face each other. It was another gamble of emotions for Yena but she was willing to try again.

“No, Eomma. I won’t do another suicide attempt. I promise.” Yena grabbed her wallet and showed her pictures. “I never put any pictures in my wallet but the Chaeryeong you detested put them up for me.”

Her mother saw pictures of her family and friends. Her picture with her husband and two children was the biggest one inside. “She told me that if any suicidal thought crossed my mind, I must look at the this and imagine what would happen to your smiles if you saw my lifeless body.”

The mother who had a hard language of love for her children had gone soft with just a picture. If Yena made a difference with that approach, how much more of the men who were crying, especially the father?

Yena thought this was a nice start. She puts her wallet down and held her mother’s hands. “I thought that I could convince anyone with suicide but I realize that I wanted to convince you in another way. No more attempts.”

She was nervous again. It took her seconds to continue but she did it anyway. “Eomma? What would happen if I became a photographer-a critic, even? I’ll earn less, I’ll get a smaller car, and I’ll get a smaller house. I understand that it’s a little poor and a little sad but it won’t matter to me because I’m happy.”

Such pain and such struggle to say such words, Yena thought. It was almost wasteful and a pain in the but she had to end it in a proper note.

“I will be really happy, Eomma. Whatever I do will be out of genuine love.” Yena said again. “I’ve always listened to what your heart wants but I hope you give me a chance to listen to my own. Please, Eomma?”

The once hard heart became soft. However, the vibrant language of love became silent and barren, as if there was nothing left to feel. It was what Yena feared as her mother got up and went towards her room. Yena became worried and called her while she skidded herself forward. The father went to comfort his wife as Sungmin helped his sister by pushing the wheelchair for her.

“Return this.” The mother spoke. “Yena-ya, what’s the cost of a professional camera? Can the laptop be exchanged for it?”

The rest of the members were shocked yet the men were happy for it. For Yena, she couldn’t believe what she heard.

“Go and trade it. And if you want more money, ask me and your Appa.”

Yena ed her injury as she got up and back-hugged her mother, tears staining her mother’s shoulder. Her mother was awakened that she hugged Yena back and mumbled her apologies. The men adored the sight that they also hugged Yena.

“Go and live your life again, my daughter.” She added a kiss on Yena’s forehead.

Yena felt the happiness return to her system. As Chaeryeong said, she’ll remember this day.

All is well for Choi Yena.

+++

“I’m hired!!” Nako cheered. “It’s your turn now, Yujin-ah.”

“I’m a bit nervous…” Yujin said, wiping her sweaty palms. “…what if-“

“Don’t be scared. You can do it.”

“Next applicant!!”

Yujin took breaths and went inside, facing a line of five panelists. She gave her resume with shaky hands and sat down on the chair. She eyes the panelists looking at her resume and froze when one of them spoke.

“You applying for a job in Engineering when you’re a Medicine student?”

“Yes, sir,” said Yujin.

“What happened? Is this a mishap? Are there no slots for jobs in Medicine?” The second panelist asked.

“I am a student, either way, ma’am. I came here because of a passion that I want to pursue despite taking the wrong path, not because of a mishap nor a full slot.”

“Odd.” The first panelist commented with a look of disapproval. “Okay. Then why did you take Medicine in the first place?”

“I took the course for my paralyzed sister. Her name’s Wonyoung.”

The panelists had suspicious eyes and had another look at her resume, reading the idea Yujin said earlier. They also look at her objective and subjective comments then stopped to look at her grades.

“Let me get this straight, Miss Ahn.” The third spoke. “You’re applying for an engineering job without any transcript for the said course. Even if you took a medical course, we would’ve considered your application here but your grades are consistently poor.”

“Why is this?” The second panelist asked.

“Fear,” Yujin spoke. “To be honest, I was a good student since childhood. Being part of a poor orphaned family, my siblings hoped that I’d end our poverty and give them a good future. The thought of such scared me.”

She spoke through her heart, just as Chaeryeong advised Yena. It was almost ridiculous to do such but seeing the panelists having eager eyes, she tried to speak like it again.

“Here I saw the mad race. You don’t count if you’re not first nor if you’re not a master. With that, my fear grew. Fear is not good for grades nor for life.” Yujin added. “I slipped rings and begged the Almighty for favors, hoping to gain something. A downside of my paralyzed sister and of my best friend’s courageous act to save her in my behalf gave me the time to think and reflect. With the sense of epiphany, I thanked for the opportunity rather than beg for it. I’ll have no regrets whether you accept me or not and spend worthwhile for my life.”

The panelists had their reactions. Yujin cared less of it was good, if it was bad, or if it was a mix of the two.

“Hmm…I understand the impression you’re trying to say but you’re too frank, Miss Ahn.” The first panelist said again. “Such behavior does not fit our firm. We need people who are diplomatic to handle our clients but you’re part of the straightforward brigade.

”However…” The second one spoke as she scooted Yujin’s application forward. “…you can be considered regardless of your course plus it’ll be very helpful for our firm…if you can control that attitude.”

Yujin could only smile and say. “My best friend who attempted suicide took two casts to get her body and soul together. It took me two choices to muster my courage to stick to my profession and passion. And an eminent sister took two chances to advise me. They taught me love, patience, and pain, hence to why I became the person I am now. To conclude this thought, it was hard to get an attitude, let alone change it.”

Yujin got up and received her own applications. Her tall figure got to the center again as she spoke. “You can keep the opportunity and give it to someone else. I’ll keep my attitude and give it the ones who count most in my life. No offense, sirs and ma’ams.”

Yujin did a bow and made her leave when the fourth panelist told her to wait. She gulped and faced them again.

“Let me share something, Miss Ahn.” The fourth spoke. “I was exactly like you. Never in my 25 years of interviewing have I seen such a worthful candidate in a sea of countless ones.”

“Everyone usually turns into a yes-man for the job but you’re very unique, Miss Ahn.” The third added.

“Luckily, our firm applies for both Engineering and Medicine.” The first one said again. “We didn’t say anything else and considered every interview as a test but you’re a candidate with a heart.”

“Sir-“

“Let’s discuss the salary, shall we?”

The question was enough for the panelists to settle Yujin in the engineering and medical sectors and considered as hired. For Yujin, it was more than enough to plaster a smile and a set of diamond tears onto her face.

Yujin was really thankful that the panelists adored her and thought that their decision was worth it. It was a day she’ll never forget.

All is well for Ahn Yujin.

+++

The rest of the circle of friends were happily celebrating for they were hired in their respective jobs. Sakura and Hitomi caught up after their work and congratulated their friends.

“Where’s Yujin, Yena, and Nako?” Minju asked. “I can’t wait to share the good news.”

“It’s been three hours and no sign of them,” Yuri added.

“Nako texted.” Hitomi shared and most of them looked at her phone. “She went to Director Kim for her errand. Yena and Yujin will be coming soon.”

Sakura looked as Chaeryeong didn’t join them and sat, looking at the distance to wait for her best friends. She chuckled on how the bear fidgeted like a kid that she got closer to ease her. “It’ll be fine.”

“I pray so,” said Chaeryeong.

Chaeryeong got back to being a little agitated when Sakura nudged her and Chaewon yelled of the two idiots’ arrival. All of them looked as Chaeryeong drew forward of seeing Yujin pushing Yena on her wheelchair. The two stopped as Chaeryeong drew forward again, with Yujin helping Yena up. Chaeryeong became worried but froze as Yena and Yujin took off their pants, exposing their underwear.

“Thou art great, Your Eminence!!” The two idiots spoke while crying and doing the gestures. “Please accept our humble offering!!”

The answer was enough for the circle of friends to understand that Yena and Yujin have done their part to change their lives for the better. Being the adviser, Chaeryeong was tolled onto great happiness that she ended up crying. Her tears didn’t stop that she hid by a pole like a hibernating bear, crying her heart out because she was very proud of her best friends. The other friends were worried that they gathered around her while maintaining a distance. Chaeryeong finally calmed and smiled while wiping her tears away.

Yena and Yujin wore their pants again as Yuri and Minju hugged them. The rest of the friends gathered to them while pulling a weary Chaeryeong.

“Come here, Your Eminence.” Yena chuckled as she pulled her for a hug.

Chaeryeong hugged her tighter. Yujin joined them and they gathered in one great triple hug. The rest of the friends adored them and were teary.

“Having fun, guys?”

“Nako-chan!” Chaeryeong waved. “Where did you go?”

“The usual. I finally finished my final task for Director Kim.” Nako smirked as she finished playing Symphony No. 5 on her headphones.

“What would that be?” Sakura wondered.

“Oh my gosh, Nako-chan!” Yuri reacted. “Could it be-“

“YABUKI NAKO!!!”

Everyone in the university was stopped of hearing Director Kim’s loud scream from her office. The three idiots, Yuri, and Nako laughed hard while the rest were confused. Sakura was triggered, thinking it was Chaeryeong’s shenanigan that she pulled the bear’s ear. “Did you do this again?!”

“No!” Chaeryeong hissed. “Your aunt brought it upon herself.”

“How?!”

“When I was doing the pictorials for the Medicine department, your aunt agreed to a bet with Chaeryeong here.” Yuri began. “She said that if either Yena or Yujin get a job-

“I get to graduate with you guys. The admin had settled it and would’ve voided it if neither of the two would get a job…but Yujin did.” Nako grinned cheekily. “Another privilege was the Director’s bet: to have her long hair cut into a boy’s cut.”

The graduating friends had a large laugh and even saw Director Kim throwing Nako’s kit off from the fourth floor. Having a height advantage allowed her to hide on Yujin’s back.

“Free advice, everyone. Let’s go~~” Chaeryeong cackled.

They chuckled and went out of the university to celebrate.

+++

Hyewon was at home calling her wife, Chowon. Chowon would’ve been with her wife on the brink of labor but she had work in China. Hyewon finished the usual calls about her and their future daughter when Sakura arrived. She was tired, hair almost disheveled.

“Stressful work at the hospital?”

“Nah. Traffic. My hair’s like this because of stress.” Sakura commented. “Is Imonie home?”

“Nope. She’ll be here soon, though.”

Sakura nodded and Hyewon wondered as she checked the time. “You’re not usually home this early.”

“I took a day off and spent time with my circle of friends.”

“You mean your friends with Kaeun?” Hyewon asked. “Did Chaeryeong come with you.”

“Yes and yes,” Sakura spoke, sitting down the couch as she became sad.

Hyewon cursed herself for saying the name. “I’m sorry. It’s been almost a year…”

“It’s okay. I’ll always miss Kaeun-chan.” Sakura added.

“But you have Chaeryeong, don’t you?”

“I do…but I’m not ready yet.” Sakura sighed. “And I think Chaeryeong-chan’s not up for it despite confessing to me.”

Another arrival disrupted their talk. It was their aunt and she was wearing a shawl over her head like a Muslim woman wearing a hijab. Being a little cheeky, Sakura greeted her aunt. “Imonie, what’s with the shawl?”

“It’s nothing, Sakura-chan.”

Sakura got the shawl and it showed her Imonie with a boy cut. She gasped and with Hyewon seeing it, she laughed. Director Kim was ashamed that she grabbed her shawl and sulked on the counter, covering her face with the mirror. Sakura checked on it again and their reactions doubled.

“Imonie…what have you done?” Sakura questioned as Hyewon cracked up with her.

“I feel without my long hair. I’ve lost my dignity!” Director Kim spat again as her nieces laughed.

Director Kim looked at her mirror and her eyes raged with revenge. “This is Lee Chaeryeong's plot against me. Her friends are the ones she holds dear. It will be game over for her and for the likes of Choi Yena, Ahn Yujin, and Yabuki Nako. The jobs aren’t theirs until they’ve passed their exams.” She slammed the mirror down, shocking her nieces. “This time, I will set the question papers.”

Sakura was triggered. There was no way she was going to let her friends be in jeopardy, especially Chaeryeong. “Imonie, that’s not fair…”

Director Kim got a bourbon and drank it down as she went around the house like a rampaging activist. “Everything’s fair in love and war!! And this is World War…III!” She made a gesture with her fingers and cackled like a villain. “Those four evangelists will be dead meat to me.”

Hyewon gulped and became silent, hands rubbing her big stomach to ease her baby. Sakura gulped and knew that she had to do something.

+++

Where are you?!

“Huh? You alright, Kkura?” Chaeryeong asked as she made a contraption.

I’m asking where you are.

“I’m at our turf near the main building. I’m with Yena, Yujin, Nako, and Chaewon.” Chaeryeong spoke. “They’re asleep now.”

I’m coming there. Wait for me.

“Okay…” Chaeryeong spoke and hung up.

She resumed working the contraptions, fourteen contraptions, to be exact. With the majority of them almost graduating, she decided to make replicas of pins with almost the same purpose of the Diamond Pin every student in PD48 University fussed about, especially for herself and for her circle of friends.

Each of them had different colors made for each member and were placed in each plastic wrap with each of the names. Her last work was with a purple one, stopping to look at it and unaware that tears dropped once she closed them, memories flooding in her head.

First was a vision of her with a special someone, almost her first love. The girl made something identical to what she made in the present, swearing that she’ll make this possible. The second was a vision of her with the same girl plus two other girls. They were major best friends living in the same apartment and sharing bonds together. They were even a pair of couples. And third was a vision of a gun and the sky getting blurry. She heard her sister’s cries and felt like she was taken away from them for good.

Chaeryeong returned to reality after hearing a slam of a bottle’s base. She kept the contraptions and saw the person that made her insides smile. “Kkura-chan~”

Sakura greeted and held an almost empty bottle of bourbon mixed with rum. Chaeryeong saw her state and she was shocked. She was even worried that she helped Sakura up the window and inside the turf. “Be careful, Kkura.”

Sakura wobbled and Chaeryeong was quick to catch her. Chaeryeong sighed. “You’ve been drinking?”

“Yup. I had to down a couple…” Sakura mumbled while smiling.

“A couple too much, I must say,” Chaeryeong commented.

“Mind me. I had to drink to increase my guts.”

“Your guts? Why do you need to do so?”

“So that I can steal this…” Sakura chuckled and showed Chaeryeong a set of keys.

Even if everyone inside was sleeping, Chaewon managed to wake up. She gasped of seeing Sakura and Chaeryeong talking. She chuckled and faked her sleep to eavesdrop.

“What is that?” Chaeryeong pointed.

“It’s the duplicate key to the Terrorist’s office.” Sakura cackled. “The question papers are inside an envelope with a red seal. Imonie sets it to fail Yena, Yujin, and Nako. Go get it!”

Chaewon was shocked in her bed as much as Chaeryeong was hearing it from Sakura. “Are you crazy? That’s cheating!”

Chaeryeong changed her expression again as she saw Sakura’s look. Her face was red as her doe-like eyes gazed at the bear with sultriness. Chaeryeong gulped and grew stiff, especially when Sakura inched closer to caress her cheek. Chaewon gasped but she laughed of the moment.

“Everything’s fair in love and war,” Sakura spoke, adding a touch by Chaeryeong’s lips then wrapping her arms around the bear’s shoulders. “Tell me. Did you really think…that noses collide in kissing?”

Chaeryeong was stale but her inner conscience was nervous. She watched Sakura inch herself towards her as her lips pouted. Chaewon was also shocked but she sighed when Chaeryeong stopped Sakura by pushing her forehead off. Sakura stumbled but Chaeryeong caught her again.

“Here. Have some dynamite.” Chaeryeong spoke while handing her a plate of it.

Sakura looked at the plate of stuffed and wrapped peppers and chuckled. She stopped stumbling as she sat down on Chaeryeong’s bed. “You Lees are so cute…but why does your food sound so dangerous?”

Chaeryeong had a laugh because of Sakura’s drunk side. Knowing that it was already late, she decided that Sakura should go home. She went to the door and opened it for her to go. “Come on.”

“I don’t want to! I’m not finished discussing with regards to these pieces of dynamite! They sound like weapons of mass destruction.” She sat properly and made a news broadcasting skit. “Today, Bush dropped two Dynamites in Hiroshima. 400 dead, 200 injured, and 100 missing.”

Chaewon rolled to the other side and laughed silently. Chaeryeong sighed and helped her up. “Come on. You’re going home.”

Sakura followed her, only to shut the door. Chaeryeong gasped as Sakura locked it and drew forward. “I can deal names of weird food but never your name.”

“Kkura-“

“Lee Chaeryeong- yuck!” Sakura spat and charged, making Chaeryeong back away.

“Ooookaaaay…” Chaeryeong mumbled.

“You’ll be Miyawaki Chaeryeong soon, okay?” Sakura hiccupped. “You’ll be the one to change your last name when we get married.”

“Kkura-chan…” Chaeryeong turned cold as she spoke. “…we can’t get married.”

Sakura’s will became dim as Chaeryeong sighed and looked away. It didn’t stop the cherry blossom as she hugged Chaeryeong from the back. “Why? Is there someone else?”

“I am conflicted with my first love and my current crush,” Chaeryeong spoke from the heart, shocking Sakura and an eavesdropping Chaewon.

“Are you straight?” Sakura asked, almost making Chaewon wheeze.

“I’m gay. Is there something wrong with that?” Chaeryeong spoke. “I think most of us are gay.”

Chaewon wheezed of that statement and Chaeryeong mistakes it as a snore.

“Then why don’t you propose to me?” Sakura asked, chin resting on Chaeryeong’s shoulder.

Because we’re lost lovers falling for our previous ones…

“Are you impotent?” Sakura asked that Chaeryeong and Chaewon could burst their lungs out.

“No.” Chaeryeong spoke.

“Then prove it!” Sakura lets Chaeryeong face her and clutched her shirt. “Prove it!”

“Sakura-neesan, no-“

Chaeryeong caught Sakura, almost crushing Chaewon’s project. Chaewon was awake as she sighed in relief.

“You’ve heard everything, right?” Chaeryeong asked her.

“Yeah. Sorry to eavesdrop.” Chaewon spoke. “I didn’t want to interfere.”

“It’s fine. How about I send you off to the hospital for your duty?” Chaeryeong added. “I can use Kkura’s car.”

“Can you even use it?”

“I have to. She’s too drunk to drive.”

+++

As expected, Sakura used her car so Chaeryeong managed to drive the vehicle and send Chaewon to the hospital. Chaeryeong motioned that Sakura should rest there when a whine from the cherry blossom was emitted.

“Take me to my apartment…” Sakura mumbled.

“Where is that?” Chaeryeong asked.

Sakura was beside her, pressing a button that showed map coordinates towards a specific place. Chaeryeong reckoned that it was the apartment so she drove her there. Once they arrived, Chaeryeong helped Sakura up inside.

“Password?”

“Kaeun-chan’s death…” Sakura spoke while crying.

Chaeryeong inputted the date and carried Sakura on her back again. She got inside, freezing because she thought that the place was really familiar.

Scratch that. She had to carry Sakura to her bed.

“You’re quite…heavy…” Chaeryeong huffed and carried Sakura properly again.

Sakura continued to whine as Chaeryeong got to the bedroom. She got Sakura laid on the bed and would’ve gotten up when Sakura stopped her. They now faced each other, inches closer towards each other. Chaeryeong felt her heart pound but she couldn’t dwell into it.

Sakura squinted and mumbled. “Chaeyeon?”

A sudden hit greeted Chaeryeong’s head that she didn’t get to say goodbye to Sakura. She got out of the apartment and rested outside, trying to get her thoughts together as memories from before flooded inside.

How could Sakura know that name? Why were Sakura and Kaeun familiar to her? And worse, what happened to her first love?

­Eunbi-ya…

Chaeryeong’s mind rebooted and she was fine again. She got up and decided to hitch a taxi back to the university.