An Idiot's Care

The Mindset of Idiots

In a boutique store, Sakura’s already big doe-like eyes would bulge out of her sockets as she looked at the cherry blossom-themed wristband that wrapped around her fine and porcelain wrist. Her fiancée recently purchased it for her. Sakura would’ve loved it but…

”Thank you so much, Jurina-san…but…” Sakura spoke. “…I’m not used to expensive gifts.”

“Don’t worry, Sakura-chan. You’ll get used to it.” Jurina pats her shoulder. “You’re going to be the wife of THE Matsui Jurina.”

Jurina asked for the bill. Sakura took some time to admire the piece of the accessory when she saw familiar people outside that made her instincts trigger.

“Jurina-san, I’ll be right back,” Sakura said, eyes still intact onto her target.

Jurina could only nod and Sakura went outside. With the familiar person, she was eager to find out if she wasn’t just seeing things. She almost lost the person in the sea of other people but pushes and a tight clutch on the target, she finally got the person.

+++

It was a weekend. Chaeryeong was with Nako and Hitomi buying materials for an Engineering project. Nako thought she and Hitomi needed help. With Chaeryeong’s advice in mind, they decided to ask her. And luckily for Chaeryeong, she was a helpful smartass like Kaeun so her effort compensated with the two.

“This project of an inverter’s very impressive, Nako-chan, Hitomi-chan,” Chaeryeong commented, checking the device.

“It was Great Senior’s idea. She gave the idea to us and helped us with the first phase.” Nako shared.

“But now she passed on, we continued it ourselves. But sometimes, some ideas were hard to conceptualize in the project because of various conflicts. We would ask for help when we need to.” Hitomi added. “We’re so grateful and glad that you can help us, Chaeryeong-chan.”

“No sweat, Hitomi-chan. You did the efforts. I can only help with bits of it.” Chaeryeong shared.

They chuckled and walked back to the university but a yelp from Hitomi and a clutching feeling from Chaeryeong stopped them. Chaeryeong wondered but with Nako and Hitomi pointing behind, she turned around and had a shocking reaction like them.

It was Sakura.

“Oh! Hey, Sakura-“

“You changed the speech, right?!” Sakura batted before any of the three could greet.

“What?” Chaeryeong didn’t get it.

“Don’t lie to me, Chaeryeong.”

Chaeryeong couldn’t, especially not in front of Sakura’s beautiful face. “Uhhh…yeah.”

“What’s your problem with my Imonie?!” Sakura batted.

“I don’t have one, Sakura-chan. Look...” Chaeryeong showed her phone and the inverter Nako and Hitomi made. “…as promised, I made the wedding app after her, even Nako-chan and Hitomi-chan made an inverter named after her.

Chaeryeong’s app was named the ‘KNGT3RST Wedding App’ while the inverter was named the ‘NakoTomi Terrorist Inverter’. Chaeryeong realized that it was a mistake to show the names as Sakura got the devices and threw them off, eliciting screams from the Engineering seniors and for Chaeryeong to react and catch the things.

“ing …” Nako cursed and hugged the inverter. “…we thought our project would be wasted…”

Hitomi would’ve been mad but she averted her anger and helped Chaeryeong up.

“Is it broken?” Chaeryeong asked them.

“Still in good condition, Chaeryeong-chan. Thank goodness…oh-your phone…” Hitomi spoke and handed the device.

“Yah!” Sakura reacted and the three paid attention. “Why are you harassing my Imonie?!”

“Because she’s running a factory, not a university!” Chaeryeong snapped, shocking the three. “She’s in that cornered institution churning our asses until we’re bummed out!!” She pointed at someone. “She churned Great Senior’s and produced one like her!”

Chaeryeong stormed away with Nako and Hitomi following her. Sakura was shocked of Chaeryeong’s tone and looked at where she pointed, seeing Jurina searching for her. Sakura huffed and wasn’t going to let Chaeryeong get away with it that she followed her again.

For the three friends, two seniors never thought their Eminence could blow a fuse.

“She didn’t break it, right?” Chaeryeong asked them.

“No, Chaeryeong-chan. You saved it.” Nako assured her.

“Thou art great, Your Eminence!” Hitomi bowed and offered a high-five. “Please accept this offering.”

Chaeryeong’s anger was gone as she high-fived back before they walked again. While doing so, she checked her phone for damages when another clutch was felt again.

Not again…

Nako and Hitomi pointed behind her and Chaeryeong rolled her eyes while greeting Sakura again.

”How dare you call Jurina-san an ?!”

“You came here for that?! Well, let me answer your question…” Chaeryeong breathed. “She is one.”

Sakura clutched onto Chaeryeong’s collar harder, making Nako and Hitomi try to calm their asses down. Chaeryeong silences them and answered again.

“Haven’t your research on your fiancée? She was a graduate in Engineering and became one but that’s not only it. She became an MBA then became a banker in the US!” Chaeryeong chuckled. “She’s just doing those s because it raked more money!”

Sakura would’ve batted but Chaeryeong was quick to answer again. “Because to her, life is just a competition for good imaging and profit-loss statement. She sees a good image and profit on you, hence she’s with you. Because why wouldn’t she prey on you?” Chaeryeong pointed again. “You’re a Nursing and Medicine graduate, a doctor in the making, and the niece of PD48 Univesity’s Director. Good for her image, right?”

“Chaeryeong-“

“Face the facts, Sakura-chan. It’s not you Jurina cares for.” Chaeryeong finished.

Sakura’s anger fumed like Mount Fuji as she choked Chaeryeong, to which the latter stuck a tongue out looking like a cute and idiotic bear with ‘poobrain’. Nako and Hitomi backed away as Sakura spat. “Yah!! Who do you think you are?!! What do you mean Jurina-san doesn’t care for me?!!”

Chaeryeong still did her ‘poobrain’ expression until she saw a new wristband on Sakura’s wrist.

“Oh, you got a new wristband? One moment…” Chaeryeong got herself out of Sakura’s clutches and grabbed the wristband. “You’re going to need a demo for this one.”

Chaeryeong kept the wristband in her pocket, just in time for Jurina to be seen. Chaeryeong called the latter and Jurina was quick to draw closer seeing her and Sakura.

“Where have you been, Sakura-chan? I’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

“She’s looking for her wristband,” Chaeryeong answered.

“What?!” Jurina snapped and clutched Sakura’s wrist. “You lost the wristband?!”

“Never mind the wristband, Jurina-san. Just buy her another.” Chaeryeong spoke.

“Are you kidding me?! It cost 400,000 million Won!” Jurina snapped at her.

The price could make Nako and Hitomi faint. For a rich behind a rag like Chaeryeong, the price was really shocking. “Wow…400,000 million Won…” She showed her old wristband. “Yah. Mine’s just 25000 Won but it’s trending in fashion sites.”

Jurina shuts Chaeryeong up and the bear gave her ‘poobrain’ expression before joining Nako and Hitomi in silence. For Jurina, she was fumed as she released her anger on Sakura.

“How could you be so careless, Sakura-chan? This callous attitude of yours is disgusting and disrespectful!” She clutched onto her wrist like it was a tight cuff, shocking the cherry blossom. “That was a limited editioned wristband that you just lost! Now you can wear that piece of junk during our dates, then!!”

Sakura’s shocked expression lasted as she was close to tearing up. But then, it changed as she glared at Jurina. The said just batted. “What are you staring at?!”

Sakura has triggered her self again as her eyes watered.

“Here come the tears. Real mature, Sakura-chan.” Jurina snickered then got mad. “I can’t handle this! Stop crying and look for it!!”

Jurina went off to look for it. Sakura was still at stale absorbing everything that had happened and of the fact that Chaeryeong had proven herself right once again. She looked back at the three witnesses. Nako and Hitomi looked away as Chaeryeong shrugged at her while showing the wristband. Sakura grabbed the accessory, got to Jurina’s attention, and shoved it on Jurina’s palm.

“Go and find another wrist for this band, you !!”

Sakura stormed off, leaving a shocked Jurina. The three witnesses were shocked in a good way and they followed her, with Chaeryeong leading them. She got to Sakura’s side and applauded. “That was awesome, Sakura-chan. Finally, you called her an .”

“Get lost!” Sakura snapped, stopping to where her car was parked.

“Nako-chan, Hitomi-chan, isn’t it too noisy?” Chaeryeong asked and got nods from the two. “She’s saying her thanks yet all I can hear is for me to get lost.”

“Yah! I said get lost!” Sakura threatened to throw her keys at Chaeryeong.

“Aigoo…don't be so uptight because, to be honest, you never really loved her.” Chaeryeong batted again.

“What do you mean?”

“When you see her, do the winds whisper a melody?” Chaeryeong asked with gestures. “Does your hair fly in slow motion? Does the Moon look bigger than usual?”

“That only happens in movies, not in real life.” Sakura batted.

“No. It can happen in life as long as you love someone.” Chaeryeong spoke. “And I’m sure that happened when you were with Great Senior.”

That stopped Sakura. Nako and Hitomi thought Chaeryeong triggered her again but Sakura stopped to look at Chaeryeong.

“It happens when you love someone and when someone loves you decently. It happens when you love someone who’s not an .” Chaeryeong added.

Sakura smiled but threatened Chaeryeong with the keys again. Chaeryeong was in defense mode when her phone rang. Sakura got herself ready to drive, Nako and Hitomi followed Chaeryeong, and the latter herself answered despite of the unknown number.

“Hello?”

Chaeryeong-ah, it’s Yeunjung-unnie. I got your number from Yena two days ago. Something happened.

“What is it?”

Wonyoung’s tremors. She wouldn’t stop shaking and she giving in!!

“What?!!” Chaeryeong snapped, getting the three’s attention.

Yena and Yujin aren’t answering me! Please help us!!

“Oh shucks…” Chaeryeong reacted. “Don’t worry, unnie. I’m on my way!”

Chaeryeong wondered on what she would do. She could thank the stars that she and Sakura met today that she stopped her from revving up her vehicle.

“You’re a doctor in the making, right? I need your help! It’s an emergency, please!” Chaeryeong pleaded, sticking her palms together.

“What are you-“ Sakura gasped as Chaeryeong held her hand.

“Come on, Sakura-chan. Remember the Hippocratic Oath?” Chaeryeong spat, adding a grovel. “It says that a physician never denies a patient’s help! I may be a graduate in the making within the said course but this needs professional help so please, for the love of the Almighty, help me!!”

Sakura would’ve refused but Chaeryeong had a point. Also, with Chaeryeong’s gesture, how could she say no?

“Fine.” Sakura sighed. “Get in.”

Chaeryeong was relieved. She excused Nako and Hitomi to head home and the two obeyed and bid ado. Sakura called her to hop in again yet Chaeryeong decided to drive the car for them. Sakura protested but Chaeryeong forced herself to drive the car as it sped off like lightning.

During the ride, Sakura nagged. “First you gatecrash my sister’s wedding, you break off my engagement with Jurina, you make Imonie pop her BP pills because of your actions, and then you make me help you!” She continued. “Unbelievable! This Hippocratic Oath has done us in!”

Chaeryeong thought Sakura was cute with all the nagging but there was an emergency at hand. The drive would take an hour and more but Chaeryeong was eager to speed the vehicle up while being careful not to get ticketed for over-speeding. The time was reduced to 25 minutes when they arrived at Daejeon.

The car couldn’t get through the narrow road that they ran on foot towards the rocket-shaped home. Chaeryeong greeted Yeunjung and Gahyeon, with the younger fanning a shaking giant baby as Sakura rushed to help.

“Unnie, where’s Yujin?” Chaeryeong asked.

“She’s still on the way while calling for a cab. She also called for the ambulance.” Yeunjung spoke. “Here, pizza comes in less than thirty minutes but an ambulance-“

“The home remedies won’t do.” Sakura interrupts them. “She needs hospitalization. Urgently.”

The sisters were at loss for words. Chaeryeong was still thinking of another way. Time cannot be wasted and Wonyoung’s life was on the line.

“We’ll use the car,” Chaeryeong suggested.

“But she won’t fit lying down. She’s too tall.” Sakura batted.

“Then retract the roof of your car. It’s not raining.” Chaeryeong added. “We’ll fasten her in a seatbelt while she’s tilted up. Her head won’t get hit because of the retracted roof.”

Sakura thought it was a good idea enough. Chaeryeong and Sakura helped in carrying Wonyoung and it looked like they were carrying a long plank of wood. The sisters were worried but Chaeryeong assured them that they’ll get help for Wonyoung, also adding to tell Yujin to reroute herself back to Seoul.

The two got out with Wonyoung in hand and followed the plan. Wonyoung was at the back seat, seatbelt fastened and her stature slanting. Chaeryeong and Sakura got inside the car again and Chaeryeong drove quicker than usual without getting caught for over-speeding. In twenty minutes, they arrived at the hospital. Sakura would’ve told Chaeryeong to proceed to the emergency area but Chaeryeong thought it was another waste of time. Instead, they stormed in the main entrance while carrying Wonyoung up. Guards were telling them to stop but Chaeryeong was eager as she forced them to move out of the way. Many spectated such a scene, even nurses followed them. Chaeryeong and Sakura went to various isles until they found a doctor.

“Doctor, emergency!!” Chaeryeong yelped, her arms almost giving in because Wonyoung was quite heavy. “We got the patient right here!!”

Proper procedures were made this time. The nurses who followed got a bed and placed Wonyoung there. The doctor and Sakura resumed the procedures as Chaeryeong slumped by the isle due to tiredness.

“Chaeryeong-chan, you can wait at the lobby.” Sakura patted her shoulder. “The doctor and I will take care of Wonyoung.”

Chaeryeong nodded and got up, stretching her limbs. She got to the lobby where she saw Yena and Yuri. The two got to her, with Yena earning a wince from Chaeryeong because she slapped her back.

“Yah! What happened to Wonyoung?!” Yena spat.

“Major tremor…” Chaeryeong huffed. “…but we got her here now. She’ll be treated in no time.”

“Yujin’s almost here,” Yena added.

“Minju too,” said Yuri, checking her phone. “Chaewon’s having her training here. Knowing that Yujin’s sister here-“

“Yah! What in the world did I just saw?!” Chaewon rushed, wearing her lab coat. “How could you carry a patient like a large plank of wood?!”

“The ambulance was late,” Chaeryeong mumbled.

“Nice job, Your Eminence.” Chaewon patted her back, sparing greetings to the others. “I’ll go and help Sakura-neesan.”

The silent angel went. The three sighed and decided to sit down to wait for Yujin and Minju. Chaeryeong was exhausted as she slumped.

“Excuse me, miss?” The information clerk called got to their attention. “Are you the guardians of Miss Wonyoung?”

Chaeryeong was still exhausted. Yena sighed and decided to settle it.

+++

After a few minutes, Yujin finally arrived. She shoved money towards the driver and ran inside, almost bumping someone along the way.

“Minju-ya!”

“I came here after Yena called!” Minju huffed. “I was worried about you and your sister!”

Yujin calmed Minju and the two got inside the hospital. Minju pointed, seeing Yena, Yujin, and Chaeryeong.

“What took you guys so long?!” Yuri snapped at them. “Did you guys go on a date?”

“I was in my class.” Minju defended.

“I was studying for the exam tomorrow.” Yujin reasoned then looked around. “Where’s Wonyoung?”

“She’s safe. Chaeryeong and Sakura-neesan got her here through a car.” Yuri answered.

Yujin stormed towards Yena and Chaeryeong. Chaeryeong was giving Yena the hospital bill as Yujin snapped, facing Chaeryeong.

“Yujin-ah-“

“What the hell?! How could you take my sister in a car?!”

Chaeryeong sighed. “The pizza delivery came faster than the ambulance. Should’ve I send her through delivery?”

“No wisecracks about my sister.” Yujin pointed, almost close to punching Chaeryeong’s face. “Where’s Wonyoung?”

“Ask the doctor yourself.” Chaeryeong snapped.

Yujin would’ve done that when they saw the doctor talking to Chaewon and Sakura.

“It was a close call. A delay of more than four hours and we would’ve lost her.” Yujin heard the doctor say. “It was better that you got her inside a car rather than wait for the ambulance.”

Yujin couldn’t believe it. Minju was shocked while Yena and Yuri wowed of Chaeryeong’s actions.

“Just so you know, Yujin-ah…Chaeryeong-chan did all those things to save your sister.” Yuri said. “She made sure to get Wonyoung here as quick as possible because she knows how much you care for her.”

Yena wowed of Yuri’s words and nodded lightly. Chaeryeong was still quiet, head lowered as she decided to go, fearing that she had made Yujin mad again.

“Chaeryeong-ah.” Yujin called, stopping the latter. “Thank you…”

Yuri and Minju smiled, almost crying. Yena applauded and Chaeryeong nodded, giving a little smile.

“Finally. You’re thanking your buddy. Has Miss 79 taught you manners now?” Yena spoke.

All of them shared chuckles, even Chaeryeong.

“Didn’t she teach you? A friend is man’s greatest tube fund?” Chaeryeong added as everyone laughed this time.

Yujin smiled with her eyes watery. Chaewon and Sakura came back and gathered with time. As the eldest, Sakura spoke. “All of you should go home now. You have exams tomorrow.”

The juniors were damned of the reminder. Chaeryeong nodded and spoke. “Yuri, Minju, and Chaewon can go. You too, Yena.”

“Eh? I’m not going.” Yena crossed her arms. “Our friend’s sister is here. Yujin won’t leave her and we won’t leave Yujin too.”

“I’ll stay with you, then,” Chaeryeong added. “We can take many sets of exams but we can only take one set of a family.”

They were in awe of Chaeryeong’s words, even Yujin was close to crying.

“Those who want to go can go. Yena and I will stay with you, Yujin-ah.” Chaeryeong added. “We won’t budge from here without the Giant Baby. Don’t worry.”

Yujin’s smile grew wider and her tears finally dropped. The next thing made the witnesses shocked towards happiness.

Yujin finally broke and she had tackled Chaeryeong for a hug.

“I’m so sorry for everything, Chaeryeong-ah…I was just so scared…” Yujin spoke through her sobs.

“It’s okay, buddy. Calm down now…shh…” Chaeryeong comforted as she was also teary.

“Please forgive me, buddy…” Yujin sobbed harder, almost crushing Chaeryeong in the hug.

The witnesses had their various reactions. Yuri and Yena shared their hugs. Minju and Chaewon were teary. For Sakura, she adored the friendship as her anger towards Chaeryeong was replaced with something else. Chaeryeong was still comforting a sobbing Yujin.

“Buddy-buddy…it’s okay now,” Chaeryeong spoke and broke from the hug, facing Yujin. “Now go and see your sister.” She wiped Yujin’s tears away. “Plaster a big smile for her and not that weepy face.”

“Okay…” Yujin nodded. “Thanks, buddy…”

Yujin went and Minju made the notion to follow her. Chaeryeong watched the couple go as she wiped her little tears away.

The juniors were in awe of Chaeryeong. Sakura felt the same but there was an addition.

It was the first phase of falling in love.

+++

Minju has hesitations to follow Yujin, alternating to stops and walks. But with more courage, Minju got to the room. She saw Yujin clutching onto Wonyoung’s hand and she was crying. The sight triggered her to get inside and be by her side, comforting her.

“Is she who you’re always telling in your stories, Yujin-ah?”

Yujin looked up. Seeing Minju made her wipe her tears away and nod. “Yeah. She’s the sole reason why I took Medicine.”

Minju sat next to her, looking at the giant baby sleeping peacefully.

“To be honest, I wanted to be an engineer,” Yujin spoke. “It’s why I can fix the ping-pong table before. But I also wanted to try this course. I wanted to finish it for Wonyoung. Not only I could end my family’s poverty but I can also cure her.”

“Why didn’t you, Yujin-ah?” Minju spoke. “Why didn’t you follow your heart?”

“I put concern for my family before myself for they make me happy,” Yujin answered. “No matter how poor we are and no matter what the desires we had, the family will always come first.”

“Hey…I’m sorry.”

Yujin wondered. “Why would you be sorry?”

“I only envisioned you at first impression and I didn’t realize the purest motive you had.”

“Nah. It felt like nothing. Don’t worry, Minju-ya…” Yujin assured her.

“Yujin-ah…I hate to go and study for the exams but…” Minju spoke. “…I really need to.”

“I understand. You can make it up by going on a date with me this weekend.” Yujin spoke.

Minju ended up chuckling. “Okay.”

Yujin would’ve thought that Minju would go now. Instead, the beautiful frog stopped to peck Wonyoung’s forehead and to peck Yujin on the cheek. Minju sent her regards one last time and left the room. Yujin was at stale and looked at her sister.

“Sorry that you had to be a third-wheel, Wonyoung-ah.” was all she could say.

+++

Yena was sitting in the lobby, looking at the hospital bill. Yuri was next to her as she gave an idea.

“We’ll do a donation activity through our photo exhibit. We’ll settle this as the objective.” Yuri suggested.

“You can do that?” Yena asked.

“Of course, I can. I’m the program President of my department.” Yuri shared. “I hope you can give photos. Each will cost an amount.”

“Okay!” Yena cheered. “I’ll send my copies after the exam.”

Yena stopped to look at the clock and sighed, just in time for Chaewon to finish her duty. Minju also got out of the room and they gathered towards Yuri and Yena.

“Come on, Yuri. We need to go.” Chaewon spoke then asked Yena. “Will you guys be alright?”

Yena gave a thumbs-up. Yuri tells Minju and Chaewon to go ahead as she will catch up. Yuri remained by Yena’s side and asked the same question.

“I’ll be fine, Yuri-ya. You should go now.” Yena assured her again.

Yuri pouted but then she pecked Yena’s cheek. The big ducky suddenly blushed.

“Call me when you get back.” Yuri smiled and went.

Yena only waved and got coos from Chaewon and Minju. As the three left, Yena kept the hospital bill and cheered.

“What are you doing, you big ducky?”

“Oh, nothing.” Yena smiled and patted a seat next to her. “Is Wonyoung sleeping peacefully?”

Yujin nodded and sat. She checked on Yena and she was a blushing duck. “Got a score from Yuri, didn’t you?”

“Same with you.” Yena grinned, noticing Yujin’s blush.

The two idiots chuckled as Yujin looked around. “Where’s Chaeryeong?”

Yena smirked and pointed at another exit. “Outside with Sakura-san.”

Yujin joined her in cooing, hoping that Chaeryeong could get a score from Sakura.

+++

Chaeryeong and Sakura were talking outside, topics ranging from the lashing anger the cherry blossom spat on the idiotic bear to the giant baby’s condition. Sakura was sincere with her apologies, especially when she wasn’t close to the circle of friends anymore. Chaeryeong considered and was always forgiving as she was happy that Sakura was finally in the right senses and desire to be closer to them again.

“You can join us in the next hangout,” Chaeryeong said. “You’re always welcome, Sakura-chan.”

“Thanks, Chaeryeong-chan.”

“You’re welcome. I missed that call.” Chaeryeong commented, making Sakura giggle.

Sakura checked the time and sighed. “I need to go home now, Chaeryeong-chan.”

“Have a safe drive. Hope that your baby protects you.” Chaeryeong patted her car. “It’s a nifty model. It saved a giant baby’s life. How much is this?”

Sakura chuckled of Chaeryeong’s words again. “Try to pour gochujang on it and I’ll tell you.”

Chaeryeong remarked Sakura for using her own joke. She tossed her keys to Sakura and the cheery blossom managed to catch them.

“Happy Independence Day, Sakura-san.”

“But it’s not Independence Day,” Sakura spoke.

“For you it is…because you’re free to wear the remembrance from Great Senior.” Chaeryeong pointed. “No can finally say that it’s an ancient piece of junk.”

Sakura was flattered with such words. Chaeryeong would’ve bid farewell when the cherry blossom told her to wait. Chaeryeong turned around, almost giving the ‘poobrain’ face. Sakura thought it was cute and funny.

“How do you know it’s from Kaeun-chan?” Sakura asked.

“I made it for you two, remember?” Chaeryeong spoke. “Second is that you wore extravagantly on that wedding at your sister’s wedding…but only the wristband’s old. Why is that? What could that mean?” She added a smile. “You may have settled for an at first but deep down in your heart, your heart will always settle towards Kaeun-nim. You even miss her so much.”

“Yeah…” Sakura became honest, almost teary. “I miss her. I’ll always miss her.”

“You should. Kaeun-nim’s one of the greatest people I’ve ever met as she’s is the greatest girlfriend you’ll ever have.”

“That’s a fact,” Sakura commented. “You’re not smart. You’re very wise. How in the world can you understand, Chaeryeong-chan?”

“Have you seen Jurina-san?” Chaeryeong spoke then imitated her. “What will people say knowing that my fiancée- a Nursing graduate and a doctor in the making- is wearing a cheap, 200 Won wristband? Please take it off. Thank you.”

Sakura could slap Chaeryeong’s face but her imitation was funny.

“What the ing hell?! Gochujang on my 300000 Won shoes!!” Chaeryeong continued and Sakura cracked up. “Are you kidding me?! It cost 400,000 million Won!”

“Okay, okay…” Sakura chuckled. “That’s enough, Chaeryeong-chan.”

“One last person.” Chaeryeong spoke then imitated another person while doing her ‘poobrain’ expression. “Life is a race. If you don’t run fast, you’ll be a broken egg.”

“Yah!!” Sakura exclaimed. “How could you do that?! That’s my Imonie!!”

Chaeryeong laughed. “You even admit that it’s her.”

Sakura threatened Chaeryeong with a slap but the cheeky bear dodged, finally bidding farewell as she went inside the hospital. Sakura couldn’t help but chuckle as she felt an old feeling return.

The wind blew a melody close to her ear as her hair moved smoothly with it. She looked up and the Moon was bigger. She looked back at Chaeryeong’s walking figure and alas, her heart was beating quickly.

­It can’t be… She thought. But why am I seeing Kaeun-chan in her?

Sakura couldn’t have time to contemplate as she got inside her car and drove home.

+++

A door opened slowly as lights were on one by one. Sakura huffed and arrived at an apartment. It was supposed to be a little loud but with her alone, it had gone quiet.

Her apartment was a memory left by her parents and she used to have roommates, all female, two older and one younger. She shared memories with the other three when they were children up to when the two older reached high school. An accident happened to the younger that they lost contact with her ever since. The first of the older girls died before Sakura became a junior and the last one died before she graduated.

After doing the usual night routines, Sakura got to her bed and looked at a particular album. It was the last of the routines before she’d go to sleep. For her, looking at pictures that bear her memories made her feel relief. From a picture of her legal family, a picture of her mom with Hyewon and another sibling, a picture of Hyewon and Chowon at their wedding, and to a picture with her three friends, Sakura looked at them all over again.

She caressed the top right side first, remembering the people in it. “Eunbi-unnie…” She caressed the top left side. “Kaeun-chan…” Her last was at the bottom right. “…Chaeyeon-chan…”

A sudden thought came in mind and it shocked the cherry blossom, her hands dropping the album. She was shocked. Why did she visualize Chaeryeong? Scratch it, she thought. She decided to check another album. An album made especially for her memories with Kaeun.

With every flip of the pages, she sheds a tear. Just as she mentioned to Chaeryeong, she will always miss her. Kaeun dying due to a heart condition triggered Sakura. Losing her felt she was lost with her. She also had thoughts of falling in love again but she couldn’t because one, she could never replace Kaeun in her heart and two, there wasn’t anyone as decent as her. However, at this point in time, there were changes.

Jurina was the first candidate but she was an . Her second candidate was Chaeryeong but she wasn’t fit enough to replace Kaeun.

“What am I…” Sakura cursed. “…I can’t…” She teared up again. “…no one can replace you, Kaeun-chan…”

Sakura broke again and made the notion to put the album back when something dropped in it. She picked it up, seeing her name written in it. She opened the piece of paper and she cried.

Love…

If you’re reading this, it means that I’ve passed on. Death is always inevitable. For one moment, I thought you would never get this because I’m still alive and kicking. But with my condition comes my thought of preparedness. I wrote this letter to you just in case, for I can never leave anything in the living scathed, especially of your love for me.

I’m so sorry to have this ailment, Saku-chan. I couldn’t tell you much of it, fearing that I’ll give you a lot of worries. As my love for you, I never want you to worry. Time may never be on our side but I want you to know that you’ve been the joy of my life. I was very blessed to be your other half, that we had our wonderful times together.

I’m sorry if I have to leave if I have to leave you behind and the memories that we had. But I hope you won’t close your heart because I opened mind to death. If you find things that make you happy, go for them, Saku-chan. If you find friends, be with them, call them even. And most important…

…if you find someone who loves you and whom you love dearly as much as we had, don’t close your heart and love that person. I won’t restrict you, Saku-chan. As long as you’re treated fine by the person and that the person makes you happy.

I love you, Saku-chan. Live on with life and be happy for me. Remember that I’ll always watch over you.

With love, Kaeun-chan <3

Sakura’s tears went on but unlike the other days of remorse, she was now relieved. As for her deep love towards Kaeun, she decided to slowly live up towards her wishes.

Her start? Maybe towards Chaeryeong...

+++

It was the middle of the night. Chaeryeong was up as Yujin and Yena were asleep on their seats. She was awakened because of a sudden memory. She picked up her wallet from her pocket and looked at the pictures from family and a special group of friends.

Chaeryeong had a look at the second picture, only familiar with the person on the top right side. But with her time at PD48 University, she was getting familiarity with the remaining two.

“Chaeryeong-ah?”

Chaeryeong was lost onto her recent thought as she placed her wallet back on her pocket. She sighed of the call and patted her head. “It’s still late, Yujin-ah. You need to sleep.”

“But Wonyoung…”

“She’s okay. We’ll get a call from the nurses.” Chaeryeong assured her. “Back to sleep.”

Yujin nodded and leaned her head on Chaeryeong’s left shoulder. Yena went fidgety and leaned her own on Chaeryeong’s right. Chaeryeong smiled at her peaceful friends before turning in herself.