The Idiots' Adventurous Day

The Mindset of Idiots

Another start came for PD48 University. Now, the new meat from before had become juniors and had kept on fighting within the field filled with homework, quizzes, and even more homework and quizzes. There was even an addition of social pressures from faculty members that had tolled some students to quit their studies before graduating.

That was not the case for Chaeryeong and her circle of friends. She, together with Yujin, Yena, and Chaewon, were still fighting their way in the field of Medicine. Minju was still in Economics as much as Yuri was in Fine Arts. Nako and Hitomi had a little problem with poverty but they still pursue to finish Engineering. For Sakura? After the congratulatory party, she had lost in touch with them, only sparing her last word that she was taking her second course in Medicine back to Japan.

Another class had ended for the freshmen. It was a Friday night and all of them decided to eat at a restaurant, with Yena treating them. Just as they were indulging on their huge shared meal, one within the circle of friends had her phone ringing.

“Yena. You got a call.” Chaeryeong spoke, drinking more soda.

The big ducky excused themselves to answer it. Yena wondered but she exhaled and spoke. “Hello?”

Yena, it’s Sungmin.

“Ah, Oppa~~” Yena was giddy. “What brings you to call me?”

Yena would’ve expected an answer when she heard a slam. She also heard her brother curse beyond his breath. With such sounds, the big ducky grew worried. “Oppa…what’s going on?”

We got a letter from your university. It says that you’ve fallen into bad company. Is that true?

“Eh? I’m not into bad company, Oppa. I’m not doing anything stupis plus I have me good friends.”

Mind me for the slam. That was Eomma. You know how she is.

“Why did you have a letter? Who’s it from?”

Director Kim. It also said that without corrective and urgent steps, your future will be ruined.

Sungmin-ah! Tell Yena to come home tomorrow before lunch. Tell her to bring her roommates, especially Lee Chaeryeong!

Yena gulped of hearing her mother speak like that. Nonetheless, she sighed. “Oppa, tell Eomma I agreed. I’ll talk to you soon.”

Okay. Take care, my dongsaeng.

The call ended and Yena sighed. Yujin also exited and called.

“You got a call from your family too?”

“Huh? How did you know, Yena?”

“I had one finished just now. You should answer it. It could be a concern.”

Yujin didn’t get it at first but she shrugged and answered, just as Yena returned inside. “Yes?”

She heard random noises in the background. Yujin gulped and feared for the worst. “Uhh…Yeunjung-unnie?”

What’s this letter that we got?

“Eh? What letter?”

­We got a letter from your university, Yujin-ah. You’ve been into again?!

“Ah, unnie…I may have been a delinquent in high school but I’m a reformed character now!” Yujin snapped. “I’m studying hard, just as you told me. I don’t get it. Why’s there a letter?”

It’s from your Director.

Yujin felt her soul was being taken away. She gulped and decided to listen to her unnie.

Anyway…I’m calling to inform you that you need to come home. Bring your roommates with you, okay?

“Unnie…will we even fit in the house now?”

Aish, it’s not like they’re going to have a party here. We just need to talk.

“Fine. We’ll go there tomorrow.”

Yeunjung hung up and Yujin returned inside the restaurant with a down face. She and Yena sat next to each other with the same expressions and of the other friends, Chaeryeong was the one to notice. “Did the Grim Reaper take your souls or something? What’s wrong?”

“What were the calls about, guys?” Chaewon asked.

All of them faced the two idiots. Yuri and Minju were concerned, holding their hands. Yena and Yujin were taken aback of the contact yet they had to defend themselves to avoid any worries.

“We’re fine. Just a call from home since they miss us.” Yena spoke first.

“Yep~ just a call of regards from home,” Yujin added and ate another piece of fried chicken.

Yena joined her, eating quickly. Yuri and Minju found them cute and joined. Chaeryeong and Chaewon could only watch and eat fries.

“Were the third wheels now, aren’t we?” Chaewon mumbled.

Chaeryeong chuckled but she only responded with a nod.

+++

All of them went back to university and got to their rooms. Chaeryeong relaxed on her bed as Yujin and Yena were sitting on theirs like they were on a trance. Chaeryeong noticed their silence and decided to clear the air for them. “Guys? Is there something you need to tell me?”

Yujin and Yena spared glances and sighed, defeated. Chaeryeong asked again, getting in between while patting their shoulders.

“I got a call from my brother. I heard that they received a letter from Director Kim herself.” Yena started. “It said that I was falling into bad company and if actions won’t be done, my future will be ruined.”

“Same with my call with Yeunjung-unnie. I even got a scolding.” Yujin joined. “She also said that the three of us should come to my house and talk about it.”

Yena said the same thing. Chaeryeong understood. With her little act of deflating the Director’s bosom with regards to teaching, she was sure that her roommates were involved as a payback. It was like dropping atomic bombing gloomily onto their homes, like of what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Realizing the situation, a dressing down onto the two homes was a good way to clarify everything.

“Okay. Then we’ll go to your homes tomorrow.” Chaeryeong concluded.

“You sure?” Yena and Yujin spoke.

“Come on, guys. It must’ve been done because of what I did. I should be responsible for my friends. Don’t worry.” Chaeryeong assured them.

The two were at ease and thanked Chaeryeong. The three of them concluded the talk and decided to wash up and get themselves ready for bed. As they were finished, they got to their beds, with Yujin texting Chaewon if she got a call from her parents.

“She got nothing. Aish…lucky her.”

“Chaewon could never be targeted by the Director. She’s a ing silent angel for Christ sake.” Yena spoke.

“True. It would be obvious for you two since we’re roommates. The Director’s targeting me and got you involved.” Chaeryeong added. “Anyway…let’s sleep now.”

“Yujin, the switch,” Yena mumbled and tucked inside her blanket.

Yujin got a long stick and turned off the lights from there. She spared her goodnights to her roommates and got one back before they turned in for the night.

+++

As planned, the three idiots visited the two homes. Their first stop was an apartment in Gwangju. Yujin was nervous in meeting Yena’s family and of the usual, Chaeryeong was carefree, all the while she was cautious of courtesy. Sungmin was the one who opened the door and greeted the girls and they greeted back, with Yena hugging her brother. After the hug, Yena introduced Yujin and Chaeryeong to him.

“Nice to meet you both,” he said. “Please come in.”

The girls got inside and were greeted by Yena’s parents. After the exchange of greetings, came the discussion about the letter. Like Sungmin, Yena’s father had the gentle aura and spoke positively. Her mother? She spoke the opposite, almost in a demeaning manner like the descendant of Hitler in a female body, at least that’s what Chaeryeong thought as she greeted her.

“Honey, how about you tour the girls while Sungmin and I prepare the meals?”

Yena’s mother agreed and the girls followed suit. She held onto Chaeryeong the most, almost pulling her hard. They toured around the large apartment until the got to the last spot: Yena’s room.

“Come in.” She spoke, pulling Chaeryeong as the other girls followed like silent rats.

Yena’s mother talked about their struggles, mostly aiming it towards Chaeryeong. From the story of Yena’s battle against cancer, their poverty, affording only one air-conditioner and one scooter, to a deep concern about Yena’s future, her mother batted it all on Chaeryeong. On the other hand, Chaeryeong listened and lowered her head because of the demeanor. She also had uneasy gazes until they stopped by Yena’s desk.

The nagging went on but Chaeryeong was amazed at what she saw. On Yena’s board were pictures of animals, mostly ducks. There were also sample articles which were proofread by her and approved by other reviews.

“Yena-ya, did you take these photos and made these reviews?” Chaeryeong asked.

Yena ducked like an innocent duck and motioned her to stop saying words, even Yujin joined her.

“She had that useless obsession for a long time. She would go around town with her camera and take photos. Those reviews were from uncertified sites and she has that tendency to give critic or proofread, wanting to become a photographer and a critic at the same time.” Her mother began. “Yena-ya. When did you start those hobbies?”

“Before high school, Eomma.” Yena mumbled.

“What score did you get so far for the semesters in PD48 University?”

“I got 90% within the first year and got 87% during the second year.”

“Hear that? From 90%, she got a drop towards 87%!!” Her mother batted towards Chaeryeong again.

Chaeryeong bursts out her laughter. Yena and Yujin were on a panic mode and Yena’s mother was dismayed. Chaeryeong realized her actions and went quiet again.

“Do you find it funny?”

“No, ma’am. I apologize. I’m just amazed at Yena’s potential in photography and critiquing.” Chaeryeong spoke. “Why make her a medical professional when she can excel in two different aspects? Why not make her a photographer and a professional critic-“

“Enough!” Yena’s mother spoke, palms meeting each other like she was begging. “I humbly request you. Please don’t ruin my daughter’s future.”

Sungmin came inside and called the women for the meal. “Food’s on the table now, Eomma, girls.”

“Come on.” Yena motioned Chaeryeong and Yujin to come along with her.

Before they went out, Yena’s mother stopped Chaeryeong. She had her hand on Chaeryeong’s shoulder and faced her.

“If you ever come and visit again, don’t eat with us.”

The children were shocked. Nonetheless, Yena calmed the atmosphere down and she lets everyone eat. Chaeryeong cursed on her head because of her actions and followed anyway.

+++

The meal ended too abruptly. Yena’s father managed to give her a little money in case they want to eat some more and Sungmin spared his apology of his own mother. The three girls understood. Yena bids ado to her family and went on another bus ride to Yujin’s place.

“Chaeryeong-ah, mind Eomma.” Yena spoke. “She’s just protective of me.”

“No biggie. That’s the thing of parents. They always look out for their children.”

“Yujin-ah, are we at your house yet?” Yena asked again.

“Guys. It’s 141 km from here. We’ll arrive later than expected.” Yujin answered. “It’s an estimated two-hour ride.”

The three friends were on a bus. Chaeryeong and Yena sat on one end while Yujin was on the other, facing the two.

“Am I going to face another descendant of Hitler? No offense, Yena.” Chaeryeong spoke in which Yena cackled.

“No. You’re facing more female descendants,” Yujin spoke, freezing Chaeryeong. “You’ll be talking to my sisters, mostly to Yeunjung-unnie and Chaerim-unnie.”

“Are they gentle?”

“In some way…but the both of them are quite the naggers.”

The three of them chuckled and decided to sleep for a bit before arriving at Daejeon.

+++

In spite of having a meal in Yena’s place, it was a meal of denial. In order to fill their bellies with food and possibly more nags and reprimands inside their ears, they finally got to Yujin’s place.

“It’s going to be a bit small and crowded. Mind me for the place, guys.” Yujin spoke.

“It’s no biggie,” said Yena.

“True. We come here to talk.” Chaeryeong added. “It’s not like we’re going to party there.”

Yujin chuckled. “That’s what Yeunjung-unnie would say. Anyways, come.”

The two friends followed Yujin and she was greeted by two men, a nagging teenager, and two women.

“My siblings: Sewoon-oppa, Gwanghyun-oppa, Taeha-unnie, Chaerim-unnie, Yeunjung-unnie, and Gahyeon.”

“You forgot our little Wonyoung…” Gahyeon added. “…but she’s bedridden.”

Yeunjung did the honors and shook the hands of Yena and Chaeryeong. “Pleasure to meet you both. Mind me for my brothers…” They looked at the two bidding farewell and running in a hurry. “…they need to work today.”

“Ugh, can I go now?”

“Okay, Taeha. Don’t return to this house again.” Yeunjung spat.

Yujin scratched her head while Yena and Chaeryeong were shocked. Taeha got her bag and left without another word. Yeunjung sighed and told Chaerim and Gahyeon to go inside and prepare the meals.

“The house won’t be stuffy for tonight so we can talk properly. Come in.”

Yeunjung went ahead and Yujin guided her friends. They arrived at an old building that looked like a rocket ship. Chaeryeong and Yena thought it was a creative house but as they got in, they got Yujin’s point.

It was slightly dreadful. Yujin’s house was straight out of a tragic film. It was a nifty yet shocking home, almost having the ambiance and space of ten janitor closets. It was a small and dingy room with a paralyzed giant baby, a complaining unnie, and two other siblings, with one who stopped going to school. There was also a sofa sprouting springs and a water supply from the roof, in which it ran 24/7.

Yujin’s family were composed of orphans, losing their parents when the eldest sibling was still in college. Yeunjung sold gimbap for a living during the weekdays and was a caretaker at night. Chaerim was a waitress with the same schedule and Gahyeon was the caretaker of Wonyoung, the paralyzed baby. Gahyeon was supposed to be in college with Yujin while Wonyoung was supposed to be a junior high-schooler. Financial problems made Gahyeon stop studying and she started a job in a café as a barista. For Wonyoung, an accident made her paralyzed, shutting her body down and her opportunity to study again. Gwanghyun and Sewoon were the helpless ones for they were always looking for jobs, settling and getting fired within months, with no one wanting to hire them again. For Taeha, she was the black sheep who now left her family for another. The last was Yujin, who was the capable maknae and the salvation of their family.

For now, the friends were facing Yeunjung and Chaerim who were making bibimbap. Gahyeon made runs in serving the food to the three while taking care of Wonyoung.

“You’re almost in the finish line of college, Yujin-ah. Gahyeon wants to study now. The school she wants to attend requires a decent amount for the tuition.” Yeunjung began. “If you don’t study and earn, how will Gahyeon study?”

“Who wants mandu?” Chaerim disrupted.

Yena raised her hand and got another serving. Chaerim decided to talk next. “Even the price of instant mandu has increased. Almost all instant food are increasing in prices. It’s daylight robbery!”

“What will we put in our plates if we get warnings from your school?” Yeunjung reacted.

Yujin reacted back, instantly eating her bibimbap. Yeunjung sighed and asked. “Anyone for some more Spam?”

Chaeryeong raised her hand and got another serving.

“How about you, Yena?” Chaerim pointed.

“No thank you, unnie.” Yena responded and ate.

“Spam should be sold to be jewelers in velvet pouches. We need to make the most out of products from overseas.”

“Unnie!” Yujin spat, silencing Chaerim.

“Okay. We’ll shut up.” Yeunjung surrendered and opened more packs of mandu.

Yujin rolled her eyes and resumed her meal. Chaeryeong and Yena were the awkward friends, joining her in downing their own little meals.

“Earn for the family, slave like a maid, and then take the vow of silence,” Yeunjung added, sharing it to Chaeryeong and Yena. “It’s what I always say to everyone in this household.”

“But it cannot be done forever due to our complaints. We need outlets of it somehow.” Chaerim spoke. “Our oppas aren’t always at home, Taeha just left, Yeunjung and I have work, and Gahyeon runs errands between her work and Wonyoung.”

“If not the capable maknae, then to whom do we share our woes?” Yeunjung asked. “To her friends?”

Chaeryeong and Yena froze during a spoonful. Yujin grew frustrated and went out, with Yena calling her. The two idiots who remained were at stale and saw the nagging household turning into a said and silent one. Chaerim and Gahyeon sighed as Yeunjung was crying.

They were stuck in such a problematic situation. Minds are torn between comforting their friend and comforting the sisters. Minutes after looking at each other like reading minds, they shrugged and continued to eat their bibimbap.

Wonyoung gave a reaction through squeaks and tremors. Yeunjung grabbed the fork used to mix the dry ingredients of the bibimbap and scratched Wonyoung’s head with it, calming her down. Chaeryeong was damned while Yena almost spat her chewed meal.

“Even Wonyoung’s shampoo for her scalp eczema couldn’t be bought anymore. Now, she hasn’t bathed in three days.”

The same fork was used to mix the dry ingredients again. Chaeryeong gulped instantly and Yena was close to puking.

“Do you want another serving?” Yeunjung asked as she wiped her tears.

“We’re full now, unnie. Thank you very much.” Chaeryeong and Yena said.

Chaerim got their empty dishes and washed them. Chaeryeong and Yena couldn’t help but look at each other and give their silent reactions as they hope Yujin will return from her calls of distress soon.

+++

The visits from both families ended and the three idiots walked towards the bus stop on a cold night. Chaeryeong kicked a stone away and started laughing.

“The price of instant mandu has increased. Almost all instant food are increasing in prices.” Chaeryeong mimicked

“It’s daylight robbery!” Yena joined and they laughed.

Yujin could only watch them with a stoic face. Chaeryeong stopped her joke as Yena minimized her laughter.

“At least you guys were offered a meal made out of love, unlike Yena’s sadistic mother…” Yujin mumbled. “Mrs. ‘Hitler’ Choi.”

“And Yeunjung-unnie is Mother Teresa, serving us bibimbap with a dash of Wonyoung’s eczema scalp and dandruff.”

“Yah! Don’t poke fun at my sisters!” Yujin tackled Yena and tried to strangle her.

“Enough, you guys.” Chaeryeong broke them apart. “It’s fine. Food is food and it’s a blessing. Both services were really appreciated.”

“But I’m still famished.” Yujin sighed. “Let’s eat outside.”

“Aish, we only brought money for our fares back at the university.” Yena sighed.

“You were given some cash, idiot! Why don’t you treat us?” Yujin spat.

“That was my budget for this week. It’s the month’s end. Who’ll pay for us? Her Mother Teresa?” Yena spoke, cackling.

Yujin was close to breaking a duck’s beak when Chaeryeong stopped them. “To eat outside, you don’t need money. You just need a uniform.”

Yena and Yujin were confused when Chaeryeong pointed at a wedding reception.

“Come on. Let’s have a buffet.” Chaeryeong pulled them with her.

“Yah, Lee Chaeryeong! We’re uninvited and we’re not dressed properly!” Yujin spat.

“And don’t even have gifts for the newlyweds,” Yena added.

Chaeryeong shrugged their worries and formulated their disguises. It was lucky that it was a semi-formal reception that their collared shirts, pants, and shoes were fine. Chaeryeong noticed the pins of the guests and made some just like it out of old paper and flowers. Slowly, they got inside without catching anyone’s attention, bowing at the ushers while holding white envelopes.

They managed to find a table and Chaeryeong called one service crew and ordered like she was in a restaurant. Yena joined her antic while Yujin was starting to worry.

“Two sojus, please.” Chaeryeong grinned.

“I’ll have half-soda and half-water.” Yena grinned too.

“Yah…we’re gonna be dead if we get caught.” She mumbled.

“Water for the tall prince. We’ll have the starters.” Yena said and grabbed the appetizers. “And can you change the music to a poppy one?”

“Sakura-chan, what the hell is this?!”

The three idiots froze of that name, especially Chaeryeong. They went quiet and looked at the scene where the voice was from.

“Isn’t that Matsui Jurina?!” Yena whispered.

Yujin nodded but Chaeryeong froze again. it’s not because of Jurina but because of the woman she was talking to.

In another side of the story, Jurina was clutching on a wrist that had an old wristband wrapped around it.

“Why are you wearing that ancient piece of junk?!” Jurina spat. “What will people say knowing that my fiancée- a Nursing and Medicine graduate; a doctor in the making- is wearing a cheap, 200 Won wristband? Please take it off. Thank you.”

“Wow. What an .” Yena mumbled.

“Tell me about it,” Chaeryeong mumbled, eyes still glued onto the scene. “The wristband is even worth more than 20000 Won. .”

Yena and Yujin smirked while eating the appetizers. Chaeryeong watched Jurina talk with other girls and made her move. She grabbed some flowers from a vase and got to the person Jurina talked to. She gulped and poked her shoulder. “Excuse me?”

The latter turned around and both felt like their worlds have stopped. Chaeryeong gulped. The nursing student she fell in love, at first sight, was more beautiful than ever.

“Chaeryeong-chan?!” The girl gasped.

“Uhh…h-hey, Sakura-chan.” Chaeryeong waved.

The two exchanged greetings and hugs as it was almost two years that they didn’t see each other. They broke from the hug and checked on each other.

“What are you doing here? Did Minju invite you?”

Chaeryeong knew this was an event she wasn’t invited in. But cheeky as she was, she made a story up. “No. The Imo from the ushers invited me, even Yujin and Yena.”

Sakura looked and she spared greetings to the two. Yena and Yujin waved back and resumed eating.

“It’s been a while, Chaeryeong-chan. Still in Medicine?”

“Yeah. Most of us juniors in our circle of friends have stuck to our courses.” Chaeryeong spoke. “How was Japan?”

“It was fine. I graduated early. Now I’m doing my further studies back here.” Sakura answered.

“You’re not single now, huh?”

“Yeah. Jurina and I went back to the betrothal. Chaewon shared it to you, right?”

Ouch, Chaeryeong thought. Even Kaeun would say it with her.

“Yeah. Hope you’re treated right.” Chaeryeong grinned.

No, Chaeryeong. She’s not treated right.

“Flowers.” Chaeryeong handed it to Sakura in which it was accepted. “And can I have your glass?”

Sakura wondered but gave it anyway. “Why do you need the glass?”

“So you don’t break it in my head.”

“Why would I do that, Chaeryeong-chan?” Sakura chuckled.

“Because of the free advice that I’ll impart on you.”

Sakura asked what and Chaeryeong pointed at Jurina talking to other guests. “Don’t marry that .”

“Excuse me?!” Sakura was triggered. “How dare you say that, Chaeryeong?!”

Chaeryeong gulped of the loss of the casual call. Nonetheless, she answered. “She’s not a human. She’s a price tag.”

“Listen-“

“She’ll turn your life into a nightmare of useless stuff and price tags that are pasted onto brands.”

“Chaeryeong-“

“She’ll ruin your life. Your future will be finished.” Chaeryeong concluded.

Sakura was taken aback. This was not the Chaeryeong she knew.

“Want a demonstration?” Chaeryeong asked her. “Shall I find out the price of her shoes? I won’t ask, Sakura-chan. She’ll announce it herself.”

Chaeryeong got to the scene as Sakura watched. Chaeryeong grabbed a cup of gochujang from the crew’s platter of appetizers and stealthily got to the scene, pouring the hot sauce on Jurina’s shoes, causing the Japanese to react.

“What the ing hell?! Gochujang on my 300000 Won shoes!!” Jurina yelped as she wiped her shoes.

Sakura was shocked that Chaeryeong’s words were proved true. The cheeky bear got back and said, “Run for your life. It’s free advice. Take it or leave it.”

Chaeryeong left Sakura and went back to eating with Yena and Yujin. Sakura was flustered as she wondered about the threes’ presence on an exclusive event. With that, she went to a close friend and asked. “Minju, did you invite any of your batchmates?”

“Only Yuri and Chaewon but both are busy,” Minju spoke. “Yuri’s attending a singing recital whereas Chaewon’s at her hometown.”

“Then why are Yena, Yujin, and Chaeryeong doing in here?”

Minju gasped. Sakura pointed them out. The frog was silent for a while that Sakura eased her. “Nevermind. I’ll ask Imonie.”

Minju nodded and went. Sakura got to an old woman talking to the other guests and called. “Imonie?”

“Yes, Sakura?”

“Can ushers invite guests?”

“Of course not, Sakura. Why?”

“Who invited them?” Sakura pointed.

Her aunt was shocked to see Chaeryeong, Yena, and Yujin. They were now getting their plates loaded of food.

“What are those three idiots doing here?!” Her aunt exploded.

She would’ve marched when Sakura stopped her. “I’ll take care of it, Imonie.”

The cherry blossom smirked and went to the three. She observed them getting a lot of food and piling them up. She waltzed surely and greeted the three. “Hi, guys. Long time no see.”

“Sakura-san!” Yena and Yujin greeted while Chaeryeong only waved.

“Chaeryeong-chan, your advice was an eye-opener. Thanks a lot.” Sakura spoke, causing Yena and Yujin to coo.

“No sweat. It was a moral responsibility.” Chaeryeong answered, with Yena and Yujin giving approval.

“Can I ask for more help, Chaeryeong-chan?”

“Sure. What do you need?” Chaeryeong asked as Yena served her more chicken.

“Imonie won’t let me break off my betrothal with Jurina.”

“Eh?! You and Jurina-san are a thing?!” Yena reacted, getting a nudge from Chaeryeong and Yujin.

“We are, Yena-chan.” Sakura spoke then faced Chaeryeong. “You explain very well, Chaeryeong-chan. Can you give her a demo too?”

“Certainly, Sakura-chan. Yujin-ah, the gochujang please.” Chaeryeong spoke and Yujin handed her a cup of the sauce.

“You’re really sweet.”

Chaeryeong could lock her jaw for she was smiling due to the compliments she was getting from Sakura. Yena and Yujin even joined her through coos and smirks.

“Anyway, where’s your Imonie?”

Sakura pointed behind her. The three idiots looked and the gaze froze them and almost sent them to Hell.

The said Imonie was none other than Director Kim herself. She looked at the three with a dismayed face. The presence of Minju from a distance behind Director Kim doubled Yujin’s worries.

“All is well, all is well…” The three mumbled in a mantra.

“Run for your life. It’s free advice. Take it or leave it.” Sakura said to Chaeryeong.

“What are you three doing here?” Director Kim asked.

“Ma’am, we’ll hand these gifts to the couple.” Chaeryeong acted, waving the white envelopes around.

Sakura sighed and got the envelope. “I’ll do it. It’s my Hyewon-unnie’s wedding anyway.”

“Unnie?!”

The three looked at the woman Sakura pointed at the distance and they gasped of seeing a beautiful woman laughing with another, who appears to be her wife.

Kang Hyewon was actually Sakura’s stepsister. But with circumstances of the same beautiful mother and their closeness, they considered each other as true sisters. Hyewon was an alumnus in Medicine in PD48 University who graduated when Kaeun was still a freshman. Now, she was married to Han Chowon, also an alumnus in the same university who was an Engineering graduate.

“Director, what’s the sum total of your nieces?”

Yena and Yujin could punch Chaeryeong’s face for delivering the question, just as much as Director Kim would. Sakura checked the envelopes and they were emptier than butterflies inside an old wallet. “Empty. No gift cheques?”

“We forgot to put them there.” Chaeryeong spat. “Yena-ya, Yujin-ah. The cheques?”

“Let’s conclude that we didn’t invite you…or maybe you’re from Chowon-unnie’s side.” Sakura added.

“No. Actually, ma’am…we’re here as missionaries for Science.” Chaeryeong spat.

“How? Can you explain?” Director Kim spat.

“Imonie, Chaeryeong’s been at the top of her class. She explains superbly. I’m sure she’ll give us a demo.” Sakura spoke.

Chaeryeong’s conscience sighed of Sakura and her touches of sarcasm. Who knew that two years changed her? Who knew two years without Kaeun changed her?

Screw it, she thought. She had to save their asses.

“Well, wedding planning today can sometimes become a hassle. Physical planning can be helpful but when a large load of plans varying from the dresses to the reception comes, it can sometimes lead to no conceptualized planning. To solve that problem, I planned to make a wedding planner app that allows no-hassle wedding planning that couples can decide themselves.”

“I see…” Director Kim reacted.

“Wow~ so where’s the app? Is it mobile?” Sakura asked.

Sakura-chan, what the actual ?

­­“Ma’am…the interface is ready.” Chaeryeong spoke confidently.

Director Kim asked for a mobile phone. Chaeryeong made an excuse that it was installed in her mobile phone that was left to Yena. Yena made another excuse and passed it Yujin. The tall prince was in a dilemma as she only let out a loud burp. Director Kim was taken aback, her temper rising to the extremes. Sakura coughed and looked away.

“Never mind the interface, ma’am. I’ll get the app ready and show it to you personally.” Chaeryeong assured her.

“You’re a student of Medicine, Lee Chaeryeong, not a student of IT. You cannot create an application. You can only create stories!” Director Kim spat.

“I assure you, ma’am. I can make the application. I promise.” Chaeryeong spoke again. “I’ll even name it after you and your eldest niece. After all, it was invented at her wedding so it will be an honor.”

“Enough of this nonsense.” Director Kim paid no heed as she was already at her limit. “Choi Yena and Ahn Yujin, I’ll see the both of you at my office tomorrow, 7 AM. Be late and I’ll rusticate you from the university.”

Director Kim left with Sakura, leaving the three idiots to gasp. Yujin felt anger rise in her head and worry since Minju witnessed everything. She even left the reception with a disappointed look.

“Hold the ing plate.” Yujin spat, shoving her plate to Yena.

Yena did, the food almost messing her shirt. Yujin went off to find Minju as the two sighed and went back to their table.

“What the was that, Chaeryeong-ah?!” Yena spat. “How could Sakura-san do that?!”

“I don’t know either.” Chaeryeong sighed and rubbed her temples. “It’s really weird. She’s not like that.”

“She changed a lot. She’s just like her aunt.” Yena reacted. “. I didn’t know she was Director Kim’s niece!”

“None of us did…but now we do.” Chaeryeong patted Yena’s back. “Come on. Let’s empty our plates and go back to the university.”

Yena felt dejected but she and Chaeryeong resumed eating anyway.

+++

Yujin got out of the reception and managed to catch up to Minju, grabbing her hand. “Minju-ya-“

Minju froze then faced Yujin. “What was that about?”

“It’s not what you think. It was Chaeryeong’s idea.” Yujin defended.

“Well, it’s disrespectful and unlikely.” Minju reasoned out her disappointment. “I’m saying it because I expected something from you. I expected you to be decent, Yujin-ah.”

Yujin was shocked. Minju used that chance to let herself go and leave. Yujin grew angrier as she facepalmed herself. She decided to return and look for Chaeryeong and Yena and found them resting with the bellies filled.

“Sit properly, guys. Sheesh…” Yujin spoke and got to her seat, eating her meal.

Chaeryeong and Yena knew their friend was in a bad mood. They understood the anger and embarrassment Yujin felt, especially when Minju witnessed it from afar. Chaeryeong had it the most. She was humiliated by Sakura and got her friends involved again.

She wanted to talk about it now but maybe in another time.

Yujin choked on her food and Chaeryeong was quick to give her water. “Here.”

Yujin ignored and drank. She finished her meal properly and wiped with a napkin. “Come on. Let’s go back to the university now.”

Chaeryeong agreed and the three of them went, spent from such a day.