Salvation for the Second Idiot

The Mindset of Idiots

The next day came and Chaeryeong was the first to wake up out of the three. She wiped her drool and was frozen for they were inside the classroom and a class was going. To be exact, their class was going on. Chaeryeong slowly peeked to see Professor Bae and her classmates. Yujin joined in and she was as shocked as her. They exhaled and slowly blended in with their own class.

Alas. Director Kim came and disrupted their class. Her eyes were fiery as they focused on Chaeryeong and Yujin. She eyed a vacant seat and asked. “Where’s Choi Yena?”

“Present, ma’am.”

Everyone’s eyes were on the back as a big wobbly ducky rose out of nowhere. The students laughed because she acted like a dork but Chaewon gasped for her, even for Chaeryeong and Yujin. The big ducky huffed a lot and even slapped herself out of the alcohol’s effect.

“Oh, everyone’s here!” Yena cheered then bowed. “Good morning, Director.”

“Where were you last night?!” Director Kim batted.

“She was studying all night, Director.” Chaeryeong defended.

“Studying?” Yena wondered.

“Really?!” The director batted again.

“She did it for two days, Director. She didn’t get any sleep, that’s why she looks scruffy.” Yujin added.

“What did you study?!”

“Uh…she studied about ducks, ma’am. She read Chapter 3 of the Cornell Lab Book of Ornithology.” Chaeryeong said. “She read the whole chapter, ma’am.”

“In that case, Miss Choi-“

“Yes, ma’am!” Yena spoke.

“How does the American coot move about in the water?”

Yena made duck noises while mimicking a dive. Chaeryeong was impressed that she somehow got the idea right but with the class going on and with Director Kim facing her, Chaeryeong had to stop her. Yujin didn’t want her friend to be screwed up so she stopped her too.

“Stop it!” Director Kim yelled and Yena was halted with her charade.

The laughs from the students also fainted as a falling bottle was heard. It landed next to Chaejeong’s feet and she picked it up, showing it to the Director. “Ma’am…soju.”

“Miss Choi Yena!” Director Kim spat before she could leave. “Let’s have a cup of tea in my office!!”

+++

Yena went alone towards the Director’s office, changed in decent clothing and already sober. Her cheeky and cheerful self was diminished the moment she got to the door. She opened it slowly and showed herself to a busy Director Kim. “Ma’am?”

“Get inside and close the door!” Director Kim spat and Yena obeyed instantly. “Can you type?”

“Y-Yes, ma’am. I can.” Yena spoke.

“Will you type a letter for me?”

“Definitely, ma’am.”

Director Kim motions her to sit in front of her and Yena obeyed while saying her apologies from the class mishap. Director Kim gives Yena her laptop and dictated. Yena listened as she typed.

“Dear Sir, it is my painful duty to inform you…that your daughter is rusticated…” Director Kim spoke until epiphany came. “Go back. Delete. Stop from the word ‘daughter’.”

Yena obeyed and deleted the words then waited for Director Kim’s instruction. She was shocked when Director Kim glared and spoke. “…that your daughter, Miss Choi Yena, is rusticated from PD48 University.”

Yena felt her world fall and her hands stop typing. Despite Director Kim’s nags to continue typing, Yena disobeyed and ended up crying. For the first time in her whole life, Yena finally broke out of her shell of happiness and showed her core of fear and social pressure.

“Ma’am…” She stuttered and her tears dropped. “…it’ll be the death of me from my family…”

“Please type!”

“Please, ma’am-“

“My decision is final and irrevocable!” Director Kim spat again, making Yena’s heart break even more.

“My Appa only lives to see me become a successful medical professional…also my mother-all of my family wants me to become one. I can’t be rusticated, ma’am, please-“

“You should’ve thought about it before pouring soju on my mailbox.”

“Ma’am, please give me one more chance…” Yena was crying like crazy as she kneeled. “Please, Director…”

Their talk was disrupted when Nako came inside carrying a kit. She saw Yena crying and was worried but with Director Kim, she couldn’t interfere.

“Okay. Remove your name from the letter…” Director Kim spoke as she got up. “…and replace it with Chaeryeong’s.”

Nako was damned as she prepared the nail polishes. Yena was even more damned, heart already weak despite her body getting up from kneeling.

“I know you were with her last night. Be a witness to me and I’ll spare you.”  Director Kim concluded as she rested on her loveseat, starting her nap. “You have ten minutes to think and make a decision.”

Nako played Beethoven’s Symphony No.5 in the gramophone as she did the Director’s nails while she slept. She had an inner rage. For Yena, she had inner rage, inner fear, and inner worry.

As the music played, she pictured out her disappointed father and brother. She also pictured her angry mother pressuring her and giving her a glare that would make her disown her own daughter. Yuri also came in rejecting her because she was rusticated. But the greatest picture she visualized was Chaeryeong and all the good things she had done for her friends and for herself. It made her sob quietly. She could never betray her best friend after everything they shared together.

The minutes went by and so did her tears. Seeing that it was almost time, she made her decision by going towards the open window and climbing by the edge.

With Nako’s last of painting the Director’s nails, she felt that the lamp was pulled and its glass broke. She looked to see that the Director was awakened, that Yena wasn’t around, and that the lamp’s base dangled on the window’s edge.

No…

For the first time in being the Director’s valet, Nako ed up her work and left the Director frozen. She ran out with tears on her face and got down the ground, seeing students crowding. She stopped to see Chaeryeong with Yujin, Yuri, and Minju.

“Nako-chan, what’s wrong?” Chaeryeong got closer and comforted the midget.

Nako sobbed hard and pulled her. “It’s Yena!”

With the crowd, no words were exchanged as they moved towards it, feeling their hearts heavy of seeing a lifeless duck, head bleeding blood.

The Director was the hunter that shot her from the sky and now, the wild duck was left to plummet and perish to death. But for her fellow animals, they won’t let her go. Ever.

+++

The sudden action made the circle of friends act quickly and work together as they send their lifeless friend to the hospital.

Chaeryeong became the beacon for the ambulance and honked the horn of the car while driving. Nako was at her right motioning cars out. Yujin and Minju were at the back doing the same thing. Inside the ambulance, Sakura and Chaewon were checking Yena’s vital signs as Yuri held her hand as she cried. Even when they got to the hospital, they never left the ducky’s side as she was scooted towards the operating room. The Medicine seniors got on duty. Yujin and Chaeryeong went inside with Sakura as Chaewon remained to calm the remaining three down, especially Yuri.

“We won’t let go of Yena. We’ll bring her back. I promise.” Chaewon assured her.

Nako and Minju comforted Yuri as Chaewon went with the others to the room. She caught up to the sight of Sakura doing surgery with Yena’s fractured leg and Chaeryeong with her fractured arm. Chaewon helped Yujin stabilize Yena’s breathing patterns and even helped her whisper to Yena’s conscience.

“Don’t give up, buddy. We’re right here.” Yujin spoke as she teared up. “We won’t let go.”

“Yeah. We promise you that.” Chaewon joined, tearing up.

Chaeryeong and Sakura heard them and finished the procedures quickly and surely. They rested by the side, all bloody and looking at the paralyzed body. Sakura called nurses to send Yena to a proper room as they were still tired from the work.

“Yah! How could it happen?! Why Yena?!” Yujin was the most worried and wept in Chaeryeong’s embrace.

“I’ll go and tell the others,” Chaewon spoke as she got out.

Sakura nodded and watched the two idiots huddled. Chaeryeong’s tears dropped silently as she hugged a sobbing Yujin. She got in between the two and comforted them, mostly Chaeryeong.

All of them stayed in the hospital that night, hoping…praying…that somehow Yena will be okay.

+++

The morning came and the circle of friends gathered around Yena. They were distressed of seeing casts on her left arm and left leg, a cervical collar attached, a bandage around her head, and a big bruise on her left cheek.

Nako shared of what happened and was regretful of not doing anything to stop Yena. All of them understood, with Sakura showing disappointment towards her aunt as Yujin was close to rage. They stopped from there as Sakura pointed at the monitor. “Look at it.”

It showed her pulse and number of heartbeats and they were lower than average. Yuri got closer, holding Yena’s hand and calling her name.

“Her body’s paralyzed in shock but her mind’s alert,” Sakura explained then whispered to Yuri. “Yuri-ya, Yena can see and hear you. Please don’t cry in front of her.”

Yuri nodded and stayed strong for Yena. Sakura also gave the same warning to the others. “Yena can sense her surroundings even if she can’t cope up as we do. No showing of juju vibes. Speak to her normally, motivate her, joke around if you have to.”

Chaeryeong nodded and got closer to Yena. “Yena-ya, I have good news for you. Your mother has turned into a new leaf. She’s not Hitler anymore.”

They were all shocked but Sakura noticed a slightly good change in Yena’s monitor. “Is this your family tradition? When the mother duck changes into a new leaf, the baby duck turns into a wilted one?”

The medical members chuckled as Nako, Minju, and Yuri were teary. Chaeryeong didn’t stop her and continued. “Come on. Wake up, buddy. I can ask Kkura-chan so you can have her car. You love driving a car, right? I hope you won’t dent it.”

They were in the mix of joy and sadness. Chaeryeong had her try yet Yena was still motionless. But inside the big ducky’s mind, she was dreaming of driving Sakura’s car with her best buddies. It was one of the little dreams she wanted.

“We’ll try again later,” Sakura said and everyone agreed.

+++

The hospital got busy with two patients, just as much as three Medicine seniors had gotten busy with internship. It was the latter in the eyes of many but to them, it was a service for the better good, for a sister and a best friend.

Yujin was teary as she pats Wonyoung’s head. The giant baby may have been relieved weeks ago but she still was paralyzed and she still needed medical attention. It was a pain for the bills and medication but Sakura was willing to help her, even the rest of the circle of friends.

“Is Wonyoung alright, Yujin-ah?”

“All good, Chaewon-ah,” Yujin replied to the silent angel. “What about Yena?”

“Still paralyzed. Sakura-san and Chaeryeong are watching over her.” Chaewon sighed. “Seriously, I could kick the Terrorist’s of what she might have said to Yena.”

“It’s also sudden. Yena’s never suicidal…” Yujin commented.

“We may never know,” Chaewon spoke. “Even the brightest people have the greatest tendencies.”

Yujin didn’t give any comments and rested, watching over Wonyoung. Chaewon excused herself and went to the other room, seeing Sakura and Chaeryeong by Yena’s side, trying their ‘words of restoration’ again.

“Sakura-san. Chaeryeong-ah.” Chaewon called.

The two greeted them as Sakura got her laptop that had a camera attached. Chaewon wondered. “What are you doing?”

“Nako’s online from the dorm,” Sakura answered. “She texted me earlier and she said she’ll be online tonight. She has great news for Yena.”

Chaewon gave her thumbs-up as Chaeryeong connected the broadband. The three waited for the video call to load until they saw Nako. It was nice since Yuri and Minju were with her.

“What’s up, midget?” Chaewon spoke, earning laughs from the others.

Very funny, you angel.

“What’s the great news?” Chaeryeong asked.

Nako grinned and showed a piece of paper. The rest wondered as Yuri answered. It’s a suspension order.

The beeps from Yena’s monitor became evident and the three practitioners were triggered. “Yuri!!”

It’s a cancellation of the suspension order. Yuri clarified. I wasn’t finished. Jeez…

Hear that, Yena-ya? The Terrorist has canceled your rustication. Problem solved! Nako cheered. Please wake up, buddy.

“You hear that, buddy?” Chaeryeong spoke. “Everything’s solved now.”

Yeah. Rise and shine, Yena-ya. Yuri added.

Yena was still the dead duck. Chaewon took the laptop and talked with the rest as Chaeryeong and Sakura sighed of another failed attempt.

It was an aborted mission but never an abandoned one. They weren’t giving and will make sure Yena will be healthy again.

+++

It was nighttime. Friends came to visit a friend and a friend’s sister to check their statuses. All of them came to their attention but only a few stayed.

Chaeryeong was of them and had the greatest contribution to that. She went to school and always made her vacancies preoccupied towards Wonyoung and Yena. There was never a second that she’d slack during her duties and there was never a moment she’d leave Yena astray within her healing period. Even if it was in the middle of the night where no doctors were inside the rooms, Chaeryeong had It differently for she never left Yena’s side.

Chaeryeong went down memory lane, remembering most of her times with Yujin and Yena. Between the two, Yena was the most vibrant best friend she had. Yena was always positive with things and was really understanding for she puts her family’s wishes before her own and had been by Chaeryeong’s back when Yujin was against it. Those memories, Naki’s explanation, and the fact Yena attempted suicide made Chaeryeong cry silently as she held Yena’s hand gently. The other was held by a sleeping Yuri.

Chaeryeong huffed and reached to pat Yena’s head, whispering. “Rise and shine, buddy.”

“Yena-ya?” Yuri woke up hearing those words.

Yuri looked to see Yena still motionless and that Chaeryeong still stayed.

“Sorry, Yuri-ya. I had to try my ‘words of restoration’ again.”

“It’s okay,” Yuri spoke. “Chaeryeong-ah, why don’t you rest? I’ll be here to watch Yena.”

“I can’t leave her-“

“You need to rest too,” Yuri said to her. “I will watch over her and report any changes.”

Chaeryeong sighed and nodded. She had one more hold before she released and left the room. Yuri was relieved for she now had the quality time with Yena.

To Yuri, Yena was admirable. It was fate that they met, shared the same interests, and were classmates in some subjects. Yuri was the only one who knew that Yena took extra courses for Fine Arts because she knew of her passion. Sometimes, questions to why she took a different course came and went many times but she never questioned Yena. Because to her, Yena was vibrant and hardworking.

It was a sole reason to why Yuri fell in love with Yena and why she was hurt seeing her hurt.

“How could you do this yourself?” Yuri cried despite Sakura’s warning of not showing any negative vibes. “What happened, Yena-ya? What did that Terrorist do to you?”

Yena didn’t respond. Yuri buried her head as she held Yena’s hand tight. She sniffled her prayers and ‘words of restoration’, wanting Yena to be healthy and be the vibrant duck that she always was.

+++

It was a festive day in the hospital. In a room, two bedridden patients resided and were motionless. It was Wonyoung’s birthday and Yujin planned a surprise with the circle of friends. They also dubbed that it was also Yena’s birthday in order to deliver their ‘words of restoration’ to her.

With Sakura’s permission, the room was decorated nicely with balloons, streamers, and their banners with their names. The circle of friends got inside first and sang the Happy Birthday song. Chaeryeong and Yujin held birthday cakes while Chaewon held Yena’s favorite soju. They approached the two, the circle of friends mostly focusing on Yena by showing her favorite foods, duck-themed balloons, presents, and her favorite soju. They also said their own ‘words of restoration’ and Chaeryeong monitored Yena.

Alas. There was no progress.

“Plan B, everyone.” She said.

Another guest came and Nako welcomed her inside while restricting her tears. “Don’t cry, Hitomi-chan.”

“Hitomi-chan~” They all greeted.

“Yena-ya, Hitomi-chan came.” Yuri spoke.

Chaeryeong cheered as the monitor showed progress again. The others were really happy that Hitomi was drawn nearer to Yena. Hitomi greeted Yena as she showed something. “Yena-ya, you’ll love this game. It’s called ‘Hit the Terrorist’.”

The others laughed as Hitomi got a dart board that had Director Kim’s face. Chaewon grabbed another IV stand and hung the board. Hitomi got darts for each of them and they decide to play together. Yujin did the first aim and it hits the Terrorist’s forehead, causing a great phenomenon of Yena’s cardiac monitor and blood pressure monitor, even the LED of the machine lit up.

Chaeryeong was the happiest. Such signs were a large impact. It had a great possibility that Yena will finally wake up. “It’s working. Keep playing!”

Each of them followed and were having a wonderful time. Yena’s progress continued to improve that her hand showed little movement. Chaeryeong had the last try and it hit the bull’s eye when Sakura came inside.

The circle of friends reacted and ran away, leaving Chaeryeong. Sakura wondered when she looked to see the board. Her doe-like eyes glared at Chaeryeong who kept the bottle of soju hidden. The rest were outside, peeping at the door

“What were you guys doing?” Sakura asked them then faced Chaeryeong. “Did you start this wisecrack again, Chaeryeong-chan?”

“Uhh…hehehehe…sorry.” Chaeryeong became cheeky and did a peace sign.

“And is that soju?!” Sakura saw the bottle. “Yah! Alcohol’s prohibited in here!”

“Calm down, Kkura-chan. It’s not got for Yena to hear us argue.” Chaeryeong said. “It’s no intention against your aunt but it’s our ‘way of restoration’ for Yena. Look.” She pointed at the monitor. “It’s improved.”

Sakura checked and Chaeryeong was right. She even saw Yena’s left hand showing tremors then it relaxed again. She sighed and faced Chaeryeong again. “Okay. Carry on. But no more wisecracks about my aunt.”

Chaeryeong obeyed and got the darts and board off. She also called the others to return and continue the celebration for Wonyoung and Yena, especially for Yena for she had shown great progress.

“Kkura-chan, please join us,” Chaeryeong spoke after throwing the stuff away.

Sakura saw Chaeryeong lend a hand to her as much as the others showing smiles. She smiled and held Chaeryeong’s hand back. “Okay.”

“I got the cakes sliced. Come and join us in eating, you lovebirds.” Yuri cooed.

Chaeryeong and Sakura shared a look and they had little blushes. Yena’s monitor beeped again and all of them reacted.

“Even Yena approves.” Nako chuckled.

“Stop it, guys.” Chaeryeong huffed then went to eat a slice in one bite.

Sakura chuckled for Chaeryeong and she joined with her circle of friends to eat.

+++

Another day of restoration came. This was a very special day for Yena’s father and brother came to visit.

Chaeryeong and Yujin explained everything to them. Yena’s father felt a lot of emotions but Sungmin calmed him down so that they can see Yena. Yujin wondered of her mother and Sungmin explained that with Yena’s brink on rustication and of Chaeryeong, she didn’t want to visit. The two understood and they decide not to tell Yena about it during her recovery, fearing that it will trigger not to wake up.

The four of them got to the room. Yujin got to Yena first and spoke. “Buddy, look who finally came to see you.”

“Yena-ya…” Sungmin got to her side first and for a man, he shed tears.

Their father joined in. With Chaeryeong and Yujin’s briefing, the men in their family shared wonderful stories since Yena had been away from them due to college. It was still unacceptable for them that Yena had done something unexpected but what mattered to them is that their precious baby must be well again.

A family visit was supposed to be a good way for Yena to wake up but the effect was reversed. The monitor beeped quicker and Yena’s signs were depleting. The men were worried. Chaeryeong and Yujin had it big time that they got to her aid.

“Hey! Yena-ya!” Chaeryeong was in a bit of panic while doing procedures.

Yena’s father couldn’t bear it as he went off with Sungmin, with Yujin catching up to them. She spoke to them not to worry as they’ll do everything for Yena to live again and comforting them. The men also had a thought that Yena was triggered because her mother wasn’t with them.

Chaeryeong was still in the room, feeling panic and rage for the first time, doing her procedures while her mind rang that she shouldn’t give up because to her, Yena was too precious to lose her life. She doesn’t want Yena to die in front of her loved ones. She wanted Yena to look at them in the eyes, to not turn her head away, to smile in order to show care and to wake up so that she won’t give torment to her loved ones anymore. Chaeryeong mumbled them in her prayers that a miracle happened.

With all her procedures and persuasion, Chaeryeong held a picture of Sungmin, showing it to the ducky. Her progress went well and it got better and better. Chaeryeong realized and gives what might be her last ‘words of restoration’.

“Yena-ya, did you hear about Sungmin-oppa’s words before?” Chaeryeong spoke. “He finally got a girlfriend.”

On such impeccable timing, Chaewon arrived and would’ve started her duty like the usual when she saw Yena’s good signs getting better. Chaeryeong couldn’t spare a greeting as she continued.

“He got a girlfriend without spending too much. His girlfriend wants nothing at all. She only wants Sungmin-oppa.”

“That’s right, Yena-ya.” Chaewon joined in.

The progress kept going. Like a communication through telepathy, Chaeryeong and Chaewon continued their words, with Chaeryeong waving the picture lightly.

“You know who the girlfriend is?” Chaeryeong asked.

“Take a guess, Yena-ya.” Chaewon joined in again.

“You know her very well,” Chaeryeong spoke and Chaewon reacted again. “She’s a silent angel.”

“Huh?!” Chaewon stopped and wondered at Chaeryeong.

“She’s an intern here in this hospital with me-“

“What the , Chaeryeong? Shut it!” Chaewon threatened with a little choke on Chaeryeong.

“Didn’t you get it? It’s our beloved Chaewon!” Chaeryeong answered as Chaewon persuaded her to stop. “Chaewon’s an angel inside and out. She would never ask for invaluable things. Chaewon’s the girlfriend of your Sungmin-oppa. She did it for free, free, free!!”

The words made Yena’s hand move and her nerves return to normal. Chaeryeong and Chaewon stopped and saw the signs. Yena’s eyes moving to look at them concluded a very successful wake.

“Yena-ya!” Chaeryeong waved a hand in front of Yena and her eyes followed them.

Yena showed her duck-like lips and the two cheered for the recovery of their friend. Chaeryeong went to call the others and Chaewon was at stale as she remembered the words that made the ducky wake up, all the while she looked at Sungmin’s picture.

A good closure with her mother, a good relationship with the rest of the family, or a date with Yuri would’ve woken the ducky up. Why the did you sacrifice me, Chaeryeong-ah?

All of Yena’s loved ones got to the spot and rejoiced to see Yena alive again. Chaeryeong got to Chaewon and gave her a hug. “Well done, buddy.”

“What the ? Why did you say those-“

“Yena-ya, it’s all fixed,” Chaeryeong spoke. “Chaewon will become a girlfriend for your Sungmin-oppa. Okay? Done.”

“Chaeryeong-ah…” Yena mumbled.

Chaewon and Sungmin felt awkward. Yena’s father had a little chuckle as the circle of friends wondered since they couldn’t hear her well. Chaeryeong got closer as her ear was in front of the Yena’s mouth. “What is it, buddy?”

“You idiot. Stop fibbing.” Yena mumbled. “Oppa doesn’t want a girlfriend because I’m her number one girl.”

“That’s right, my dongsaeng.” Sungmin heard her and smiled as he was teary.

They adored the talk. Chaeryeong chuckled and nudged a harrumphing Chaewon. “Lucky escape for you.”

They all laughed. Chaewon would’ve been sour but she laughed with them anyway.

They were very happy. Yena was back to them once again.

+++

The following days became wonderful. With Yena’s recovery came a celebration. Chaeryeong was back for her duty and had dynamite in many boxes, feeding the staff that had helped with Wonyoung and Yena’s care. Chaeryeong’s last stop was feeding Yuri when she saw Yena in a wheelchair, with Chaewon helping her out.

Chaewon went to Chaeryeong and got a piece before moving towards the other room where Wonyoung was. Yena had a gaze at Chaeryeong, remembering all the good things she did, especially the fact that she never gave up in order for herself to live. Yena got teary. She was very lucky to have a friend like Chaeryeong.

Chaeryeong was now in front of her and fed her dynamite (dish mentioned in the previous chapter and not the weapon). As Yena finished eating, she sobbed and hugged Chaeryeong tight, saying her apologies for doing such a thing. Chaeryeong got to her level and hugged back, crying along with her.

“Don’t you ever do that again! You don’t know how worried I was about you!” Chaeryeong spat.

It was first for Yuri and Chaewon to witness Chaeryeong’s protective side. Yena nodded and apologized as she kept hugging Chaeryeong. Chaewon joined them and got to hug Yena. Yujin also saw them and cried as she and Yena shared hugs. Yuri followed after taking a picture of them.

A beep disrupted them. The three Medicine seniors went to Wonyoung’s room for her aid, leaving Yuri with Yena. Yena felt her heart pound as Yuri hugged her while in tears.

“Can we talk?” Yuri asked.

Yena agreed to it and Yuri pushes her wheelchair towards the lobby. Yuri lets Yena face her as they talk.

“I was really worried about you…” Yuri started with tears.

Yena also felt teary as she reached to hug Yuri. Yuri ended up crying harder in Yena’s arms, hearing the reasons for her attempted suicide, her apologies, and her words of forgiveness. In conclusion, the talk was settled, all while their hearts pounded.

“Yuri-ya?”

“What is it?”

“I heard you say that you like me on that night when you stayed by my side,” Yena spoke. “Was it…”

Yuri kissed her cheek, freezing Yena. “I wouldn’t have said it if it wasn’t true.”

Yena plastered a smile. Yuri understood that as a sign that she was also liked by the big ducky. They got to share another hug.

“That’s really sweet.” Chaeryeong and Yujin spoke.

Yuri and Yena broke before Yena scooted herself towards her best friends, feeling thankful that they were on her side for so long.

What a long ride for the three idiots. There were sudden events but all went well in the end.

+++

Yena was by the window, looking at the first snow. She was still in a wheelchair and was still in Chaeryeong and Yujin’s care, even in that wonderful time of the year. Even if she was still down due to broken arm and leg, her injuries were in the brink of recovery. There was no way she’d let it ruin the wonderful day.

“Yena-ya!” Yujin went frantic as she got to her. “We thought you were lost!”

“I just wanted to move by myself and see the snow,” Yena said.

“Come on. Everyone’s waiting.” Yujin got to Yena’s back and pushed the wheelchair for her friend.

The two of them got inside a hospital room where many people were inside. A tree was on the side, lights glistening like stars. Streamers were around as there were people with gifts, featuring a bedridden giant baby.

Yena felt tears in her eyes. Her family, Yujin’s family, and her family of best friends were around to celebrate Christmas…except for one.

“Aish, don’t be a crybaby.” Sungmin got closer to his sister and wiped her tears. “Eomma will come later.”

“It’s Christmas.” Their father spoke. “We should all be happy.”

“Okay! Who wants chicken and bibimbap?” Yeunjung called and everyone raised their hands.

+++

It became a wonderful Christmas inside the hospital room. And as much as they had to stay, visiting hours were still implemented. For now, Wonyoung and Yena were in bed as Chaewon, Yujin, and Sakura stayed to watch them.

“Where’s Chaeryeong-chan?” Sakura asked.

“She’s had to get out for she has a call,” Chaewon said.

Sakura went out, leaving Yujin and Chaewon to coo, even Yena joined them. Sakura went around the hospital until she got to the lobby, seeing Chaeryeong sitting alone. Sakura smiled and went to her while calling. “Chaeryeong-chan~”

For Chaeryeong, she was still talking to someone. Sakura called many times but she wasn’t getting any attention.

“Send my regards to our parents. Also, tell Chaemi I greet her a Merry Christmas.”

Okay, unnie. Merry Christmas.

“Merry Christmas…Chaeryeong-ah.”

Sakura wondered of the name. How could she call herself?

“Kkura-chan.” Chaeryeong called and Sakura deleted the recent speculation in her head. “How long have you been waiting?”

“I came just now,” Sakura said. “I wondered where you are.”

“Is something wrong?” Chaeryeong asked.

“Nothing,” Sakura spoke, lending a hand. “Shall we go back?”

Chaeryeong chuckled and nodded. She held Sakura’s hand and it hit her. Sakura had the same reaction that they ended up still, asking the same question inside their consciences.

­Why is this feeling familiar?

Sakura got back to reality first. “Sorry for spacing out.”

“Me too. Let’s go.” Chaeryeong spoke as they walked side by side.

As they walked, the feeling of curiosity grew. So much for a Christmas…