Transformation Leading to Idiocy

The Mindset of Idiots

It was another day at PD48 University but this one’s very dreadful. At least…that was the case for the two idiots.

The day was very cold and they were walking very early in the morning towards the Director’s office. They didn’t wear jackets due to the pressure of coming early and sat on the waiting area, shivering their asses out.

“Lucky Chaeryeong. She’s still in dreamland.” Yena spoke first.

“And then there’s us. Getting called by the Director to come this early isn’t lucky.” Yujin spat, teeth gritting from anger and the cold. “I can’t believe we got into Chaeryeong’s antics and she doesn’t get blamed.”

“Yujin-ah…”

“I thought she changed. Now, she’s getting more troublesome. Such a disappointment, really…”

“Don’t say that. Chaeryeong meant well. She wanted us to have a full stomach before coming back here without spending money.” Yena reasoned. “Come on. We got a large meal for free.”

Their talk was disrupted when Director Kim came. They spared their greetings towards her as they watch her check the time.

“Good job. You came earlier. Come inside.”

Yena and Yujin followed her like trained animals and sat at the couch Director Kim pointed. The duck and dog sat quietly as they were told by Director Kim to wait. They nodded and watched the Director move like a sloth and do her usual routine. After almost an hour, Director Kim faced them while eating her dessert. Yena and Yujin were stuck in a lot of tension before that and now, it doubled.

“Ma’am…we apologize for the mishap at the wedding. What’s the cost per plate? We’ll reimburse you…through installments.” Yujin began.

“Who pays for food using installments?” Yena sighed.

Director Kim paid no heed and continued to deliver a spoonful of dessert in .

“Anyway…we’re sorry again, Director. We won’t crash at a wedding again.” Yena ducked.

“Not even mine,” Yujin added. “In fact, I won’t marry and neither will Yena here. Yes! No marriage.”

Yena was damned as she was close to kicking Yujin’s for her words. Director Kim finished and threw the plastic cup in a bin next to her chair. She got her hanky and wiped .

“Your parents shouldn’t have married either. That way, the world won’t waste feeding two idiots.”

Director Kim stood and the idiots followed. She spat the two to sit down again. Yena almost stumbled while Yujin behaved like a trained dog in control of a belt. They watched Director Kim scoot a whiteboard closer and they exchanged looks, wondering of the treatment they’ll be getting.

“Pay attention.” Director Kim spat and wrote an amount on the board. “Miss Ahn, please read the amount written on the board.

“250 million Won, Director.”

“Correct. 250 million Won. Do you know what this amount stands for?” She asked and the two shook their heads. “This is the monthly income of each of Lee Chaeryeong’s parents.”

They gulped. Who knew Chaeryeong was a woman of riches beneath a body of rags?

“Couple of zeroes less and it’s still a considerable income.” Director Kim continued, erasing two zeroes. “But erase another zero…and I would worry a little.”

A total of three zeroes were lost and the sign read 250,000 Won. “Isn’t this the income each of your parents make, Miss Choi Yena?”

“Yes, Director…”

Director Kim erased another zero and pointed her pen at Yujin this time. “That’s the income each of your working siblings make, Miss Ahn Yujin. A big reason to worry.”

Director Kim erased the whole amount and sat back down. “Your loved ones are sacrificing their incomes for your education. If you’re here to screw your studies up, then you’re not worthy to study at all. Your involvement with Lee Chaeryeong plays a large factor in your studies, making you two fail. To avoid that dilemma, I’ll give a piece of advice.”

Yena didn’t understand. Surely, it wasn’t Chaeryeong’s fault. Medicine wasn’t meant for them. They can only pass, not learn. On the other hand, Yujin agreed to it. With Chaeryeong involving them into mishaps, it tolled them with their performances in school, especially on that letter that made her sisters nag even more.

“I suggest you two move to Lee Chaejeong’s room. She studies well and she can help you with studying by molding yourselves to do so.” Director Kim began. “The exams are coming. For two years, you have failed exams because of Chaeryeong. Stay with her for more years and you’ll fail completely and be forced to shift.”

The clock rang and it was ten in the morning. Yena and Yujin were shocked. The talk only lasted for mere minutes but they never knew time flew so fast. Hitomi arrived carrying a case of manicuring materials and spared a greeting to the Director and the two idiots. Director Kim got to her recliner and rested. Hitomi played an opera song in the gramophone and started her duty by painting Director Kim’s nails.

Yena and Yujin couldn’t believe it. They were taken aback, even Yena was close to laughing her off.

Director Kim halts Hitomi and faced the two. “Do you want a manicure?”

“No, ma’am.” The two spoke.

“Then, get the out.”

The dog and duck sped away from the office. Hitomi didn’t do much but continue her filial duties.

+++

“What did the Terrorist talk about?” Chaeryeong asked, taking a while reading a book on Philosophy.

Yena and Yujin were also in the same predicament. The bathhouse was almost barren, with them using the bathroom while some other students came to shower, wash their faces, and brush their teeth.

“Don’t tell her, Yena,” Yujin mumbled.

Alas. The duck was an innocent idiot and told Chaeryeong. “She threatened to make us move to Miss 79’s room.”

Yujin’s scream ran across the four corners of the bathhouse, shocking some of the students. “Aish! What the , Yena?! Ah…I’m screwed!”

“Don’t worry, Yujin-ah. She’s not taking it seriously.” Chaeryeong began. “It’s a threat to split us. The concept of British policy: divide and conquer.”

“You don’t get it. I have to worry.” Yujin spat again. “We’re graded. She holds our grades and I need good grades to get a good job!”

“Yujin-ah, stop that,” said Yena.

“What?! We’re not like her. We’re not like you, Chaeryeong.” Yujin cuts the casual talk. “Unlike you, I don’t have rich parents that I can live off.”

Yena spat at her to shut up, just in time for her to finish. Chaeryeong and Yujin were also done and they got to the sinks to do their skincare routines. Chaeryeong didn’t take the insults too personally, Yena had enough of the nagging, and Yujin continued her nags.

“Come on, Yena. Must we follow her hogwash? Must we always say that ‘All is well.’ bull?” Yujin persuaded her while putting eye cream. “I won’t. I won’t be her flunky like you.”

“Yah! That’s not nice of you!” Yena bickered. “You’re crossing the line, Yujin-ah.”

“I’m not. I’m drawing the line. I’m the only salvation for my family. I have to support them.” Yujin sighed. “My education and Wonyoung’s medicine swallows up most of my working siblings’ earnings, Gahyeon can’t go to school because of it, and Yeunjung-unnie hasn’t bought a cool shirt in five years.”

“And a disappointment from Minju added, huh?” Yena asked.

Yujin got frustrated with that, with her story, and with the stinging face foam that got into her eyes. She washed her face and Yena rolled her eyes while putting face wash.

“Now don’t get your sister’s wardrobe into the debate,” Yena mumbled then washed.

“Agreed. What’s the connection?” Chaeryeong spoke after brushing her teeth. “How many shirts per annum is reasonable?”

Yena joined her in chuckling. Yujin was unconvinced even more, almost throwing her face towel at Chaeryeong. “Hey. No wisecracks about my unnie.”

“Yujin-ah…” Chaeryeong finished washing her face and got to the other side of the sinks where the other two are. “…I get the situation you’re in. But also remember that we must study by heart, not just for our grades. As quoted by the One: Study for accomplishment, not for affluence. Follow excellence and success will chase you. Lower clothes down.”

“Where did you get that quote? To whom do refer of the One? Her Eminence Lee Chaeryeong?” Yujin asked.

Chaeryeong nodded, grinning like the Sun lost its job. Yena chuckled of such words and Yujin was already at her breaking point, muttering. “Go rot in the bogs.”

Yujin went off. Chaeryeong could only sigh as Yena went to catch up to her, stopping her with a pull of an arm. “Yah, Ahn Yujin.”

“What?”

“Don’t stress about it. Nothing is impossible. We’ll top the class like Chaeryeong.” Yena assured.

“Nothing is impossible? You think?” Yujin grabbed Yena’s toothpaste and squeezed all of it on the top of her palm. “If that’s the case, shove the toothpaste back in the tube.”

Yujin left the bathhouse and Yena sighed looking at her palm filled with toothpaste.

+++

After the week, the train of immigration came. Yena didn’t take its ticket as Yujin took both tickets, moving towards the territory of Miss 79. She willingly got on the train and started her travails with Chaejeong.

Yes. Not travels. Travails; work of painful nature exerted too much both physically and mentally-a tape used to paste torment, the bond for one to suffer. S-U-F-F-E-R.

And that was one thing Yujin wasn’t aware of, that she got out of a delusional hell to get into the real one.

“Your turf is there.”

Yujin almost dropped her things as she heard the instruction after hearing a series of bookish words. She sighed and got to her spot, smaller than the one she had on the other room, to think that they’re only two.

“Hey, Miss 79-“

“Shut it. I have a name, idiot.” Chaejeong spat as Yujin hissed for being hit by an empty bottle. “You’re distracting me.”

“No need to be testy…” Yujin mumbled.

Chaejeong stopped studying and faced the taller. “Look, I only consider this because of Director Kim. If you want to remain here and work hard for the exams, then don’t get in my way…got it?”

Yujin nodded once and fixed her stuff as Chaejeong continued to study.

+++

With the change of tracks Yujin took, the circle of friends was almost dismantled. Yujin wasn’t hanging out with Chaeryeong and Yena and studied by herself as Chaejeong did. On the other hand, Chaeryeong and Yena’s bond grew closer and they mostly got the other friends together and they’d have dinner together.

“Weird. Yujin and Minju aren’t with us anymore.” Nako spoke.

“Well, they’re checking each other out more often,” Chaewon spoke and all of them almost spit their meal. “Ever since Yujin made her travail with Chaejeong, Minju thought she’s in good hands and made herself decent with the new environment.”

“Ouch for us.” Chaeryeong spoke as Yena nodded. “We’re not bad influencers towards Yujin. Chaejeong is.”

“I agree. Miss 79 has the attitude. She almost hit me with her books, to think I’m older.” Nako shared.

“She also threatened me to ask what catches Director Kim’s attention like hello? I just work for her! Personal s aren’t a major issue.” Hitomi joined.

Chaeryeong and Yena shook their heads in dismay. Yuri and Chaewon joined while drinking.

“Did you try to convince Minju?” Yena asked, mostly towards Yuri.

“We did, Yena-ya. But I don’t think she’s unconvinced after what you did at Hyewon-unnie’s wedding.”

“But we only had a meal. We didn’t ruin rites.” Yena spoke.

“Exactly.” Chaewon pointed her spoon towards the duck. “But alas. She wouldn’t listen.”

“She got the influence from Sakura-neesan.” Yuri sighed. “She changed and Minju’s following. It’s understandable in a way but when it hurts people, it’s a different story.”

“For instance, Sakura-neesan married an that’s not the same as Great Senior and MInju looks at first impressions and exteriors rather than long-lasting virtues and interiors,” Chaewon spoke.

“Good analogy.” Chaeryeong complimented.

They chuckled and clunk their glasses before drinking. Chaeryeong finished hers first, slamming the glass. “We’re not going to let s consume them. We should do something!”

“What can we even do?” Yena asked.

Chaeryeong grinned, causing the others to coo. Yena was the lost one as she asked again.

“It seems Her Eminence has something in mind.” Nako chuckled.

Yena got the idea, cheering like the cute duck she was. Chaeryeong sighed and talked bits of it, causing the others to cheer.

+++

On another side, Yujin and Minju were having a walk around campus. As Chaewon mentioned, they got their relationship back. After going into another path that impressed the beautiful frog, the dog had met with her constantly. It was really wonderful…

…but sometimes, there’s was always a voice that said something was still missing.

Yujin lets Minju sit down on a bench first and she followed. The two maintained a distance and a set of smiles until Minju spoke of something.

“Don’t you hang out with Chaeryeong and Yena anymore?”

“I don’t. We’re not roommates anymore.” Yujin began. “Chaeryeong’s mostly the troublemaker whereas Yena’s just been dragged by her antics. I always get into trouble when I’m around with them.”

“Hmm…Yuri and Chaewon seemed pretty distant towards me too.” Minju sighed. “I became quieter and I was almost like Sakura-neesan.”

“Can I be honest?” Yujin asked and Minju nodded. “She changed a lot.”

“It’s understandable. She lost love because of losing Great Senior and got involved with Jurina-san.” Minju sighed again. “I can’t believe she went for an like her.”

“Yeah. And who would’ve thought she was the Director’s niece?”

“You could relate to her and Hyewon-unnie, actually…for they’re orphans too.” Minju shared, shocking Yujin. “Their mother and Director Kim are sisters. Sakura-neesan and Hyewon-unnie have different fathers but the three died in an accident, leaving Director Kim to take care of them both. Sakura-neesan would’ve been better off with Great Senior but with her death, she had to settle onto another decent person like Jurina-san.”

“Hmm…no wonder Great Senior’s approved for Sakura-san before,” Yujin mumbled. “She had to settle in love without breaking the sense of physical decency, then?”

“True.” Minju nodded then looked at the taller. “What do you think of it, Yujin-ah?”

“What do I think of it?” Yujin asked back, getting a nod. “I don’t think it’s nice. Decency should be by heart and not by materialistic mindset. Great Senior was an exception for she’s good inside and out.”

It hit the two. Minju with her mindset towards Yujin and her friends and Yujin’s towards Chaeryeong.

“Minju-ya…I think we should go back to our rooms now. It’s getting late.” Yujin spoke. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

A peck on the cheek concluded the day. Yujin was frozen watching Minju go. Her heart pounded as a stale expression got to her face. She was in the boundary of happy and sad: Happy for the moments she had with Minju and sad for replacing those moments of her friends.

The taller walked back to her new room, slowly opening and closing the door for her to get inside without disturbing Chaejeong. She got to her desk and decided to study herself, all while reminding herself of her obnoxious roommate.

Lee Chaejeong was her name. She was called Miss 79 because of her underwear during the orientation with the seniors. She was not smart like Chaeryeong, only hardworking in the worst ways. She’s more on theory than application and to sharpen her memory, she popped pills from a local quack.

But the worst trait she had? It was that she lets out silent but lethal farts.

“AH! DUDE, WHAT THE ?!” Yujin spat, going to her drawer to spray Glade.

“I didn’t do it…Yujin-ah~?” Chaejeong raised her eyebrows before resuming her study session.

Yujin couldn’t take it and decided to study outside, grabbing her books as she got out. She went to the balcony and sat, reading the book as she admired the Moon. While reading, she saw Chaeryeong and Yena having fun by their room. The sight made Yujin sigh.

She missed hanging out with them.

Yujin shook her head and decided to study somewhere else.

+++

At a distance, Yena saw Yujin go somewhere else. Chaeryeong witnessed it and she could only scratch her head.

“I missed that tall crackhead,” Yena mumbled. “I don’t blame anyone, really. I blame circumstance, though.”

“It’s fine, Yena-ya. Remember the idea that I had?” Chaeryeong spoke, getting a nod. “We’ll try that to bring Yujin back. Don’t worry.”

Yena nodded and excused herself to bed. Chaeryeong lets her sleep ahead as she was still finishing the book she read. And with the light from Yujin’s new room, it seems Chaejeong won’t be sleeping soon.

It’s different. Chaeryeong read for memory cognition and for a sole goal to learn. Chaejeong doesn’t as she only knows how to cram. For Chaeryeong, it was strategic but unhealthy and unworthy as a practice in order to ace exams.

As the night passed, Chaeryeong finished reading her book. Just as she was about to go back inside her room, she saw someone inserting Men’s Health magazines in each door, just where the Medicine juniors slept. With the gestures and the familiar garter that was seen beneath a pair of pants, she knew who it was.

Chaejeong devised the same plan for years every two weeks before the exams. She believed that external factors play a vital role in making mistakes. She also believed that there are only two ways of acing in school- elevate your own grades and shrink your opponent’s grades.

“That’s what 18 hours a day of cramming does to you, Chaejeong-ah. Sad…” Chaeryeong mumbled her comments.

A little grin plastered onto her features. She decided to save Yujin by subduing Chaejeong with the master plan she had thought about.

+++

At the end of the week was Teacher’s Day. All students would attend to commemorate their professors through various mediums to show appreciation. For a special part of the program, Chaejeong was one of the speakers, the last one at that. In order to impress Director Kim and the Minister of Education, she got her speech written by the librarian in highbrow Korean.

“Our Director has unceasingly led the compositions of our institution towards transformation…” Librarian Lee spoke. “Do you know what ‘transformation’ means?”

“Don’t mind the vocabulary, Miss Lee. I’ll memorize it.” Chaejeong spoke and typed.

Their time went on. From a distance next to a large shelf of tactics books, Chaeryeong popped out and looked at the two. She motioned something from another person at another part of the library and the latter made the call.

Chaeryeong grinned at Yena. She explained the proper parts of the plan to her and the big ducky was eager to join her, just to give an enlightenment for Yujin in order for her to return to them. In Yena’s case, she looked at the information area as the person-in-charge received her call.

Hello?

“A call for Miss Lee Chaejeong.” Yena spoke, changing her voice.

Chaejeong was called with that call and went to receive it, sparing instruction to Librarian Lee to receive the printout. The nagging librarian obeyed and got the paper, just in time for Chaeryeong to start the next phase of the plan.

“Good day, Miss Lee.” Chaeryeong bowed.

“Good day, Chaeryeong-ah.”

“Miss Lee, Director Kim remembered you just now,” Chaeryeong spoke.

“She did?”

Chaeryeong grinned in her head as she nodded. Her plan was working as expected as she was given the printout. “I’ll see her right away. Please give this to Chaejeong.”

Chaeryeong was obliged to do the task, watching Miss Lee run like an ostrich. Once the coast was clear, she tore the paper and started editing the speech. Yena got to her spot as soon as Chaejeong received the call.

Yes?

“Miss, Lee. This is a call from Seoul Police Station. You were a citizen in Japan for 5 years, am I correct?”

Yes, ma’am. Why are you calling me?

“Because your life is in danger.”

Chaejeong reacted like a screaming pig. Chaeryeong heard her and chuckled silently. Yena joined her for a while and returned to the call. “Listen to the instruction that I’ll relay to you. Otherwise, you’ll get killed the moment you step out of the college gate.”

Chaejeong was caught up in the call with Yena. With the time, Chaeryeong gave more changes to the speech (e.g: 변신, the term for ‘transformation’, was changed to병신, the term used to calls someone an idiot or the term for idiocy itself.)

“Hold on for a moment. The chief wants to talk to you.”

Chaeryeong finished the changes in time and she printed it. Yena got the phone towards her and Chaeryeong took over the call, changing her tone.

“Hello? Where was it again?”

You said I might die when I go outside the gate, ma’am.

“Okay. Listen to me.” Chaeryeong began. “As you go outside the gate, you’ll see a traffic signal.”

Yena peeked at Chaejeong who took note, making her laugh. She thought Chaeryeong’s plan was really brilliant.

“When the light’s red, all the cars will halt.”

Okay. Then?

“Then, cross the road with great calculation because, my dear, if the rush hour comes and a car hits you, you’ll be dead.”

Yena was close to losing a lung from the laughter, even Chaeryeong joined her.

What nonsense is that? I already know that.

“Oh, you already know?” Chaeryeong batted. “Then very good, dear. Excellent. You’re safe.”

Chaeryeong hung up the call, grabbing the printout as she and Yena ran then sat by the stairs. Chaejeong passed by and Chaeryeong called her while handing out the paper. “Hey, Miss 79. Miss Lee tasked me to give this to you-“

“Don’t call me that, idiot!” Chaejeong snapped, pulling the paper as she went.

Chaeryeong and Yena went out of the library and met Miss Lee. She looked like a dumb animal as she motioned Chaeryeong to come closer.

“Chaeryeong-ah, the Director didn’t call for me.”

“Miss Lee, when did I say ‘called’? I only said that she ‘remembered’ you.” Chaeryeong defended as she and Yena went off.

Miss Lee was taken aback with the fact as she yelled at them that they were rascals.

+++

Teacher’s Day came and it was Chaejeong’s time to deliver the speech. Applause rang across the stadium as Chaejeong got to the stage.

“To our distinguished Director Kim, to our alumnus Miss Miyawaki…to our chief guest the Honorable Minister of Education, and to the respected teachers and students, good day.” Chaejeong began as she bowed. “PD48 University has soared beyond the stratosphere. The credit of it solely goes to our beloved head of this institution, Director Kim.”

Applause rang around again, even Miss Lee made a comment that Chaejeong was the voice and it was SHE who made the speech. All students witnessed it and joined the applause, even Chaeryeong, and Yena.

“I never thought Sakura-neechan’s here.” Chaewon, who sat next to Yena, pointed at the girl next to the Director.

Yena nudged Chaeryeong but the latter shrugged. She told Chaewon and Yena that they should sit behind Yujin, who was with Yuri and Minju. They all agreed and moved. They greeted the three, with Chaeryeong sparing pats on Yujin’s back to which the tall dog shrugged off.

“For almost more than two decades, our Director has unceasingly led the compositions of our institution towards idiocy.”

Most of the people were laughing, leaving Director Kim to be flustered, even Sakura. For the circle of friends, Nako and Hitomi managed to sit with them as they all laughed because of the words. For the first time in a while, Yujin managed to laugh with them.

“She means ‘transformation’,” Chaeryeong added to her.

“I’m sure her endeavors will continue,” Chaejeong spoke, earning more laughter.

Minju reacted with a gasp and Yuri nudged her to laugh. Chaeryeong looked at her friends and thought it was just a tip of the iceberg, that there was still more to come.

“We are astounded of how one witch in one lifetime can serve so many towards idiocy so well. With her rigorous training, she’s built up her stamina to do her task for the idiotic society.”

The laughter went again and Chaeryeong shared. “She means beautiful girl and transformative society.” (미녀 is a Korean term for ‘beautiful lady’ whereas 마녀 is a Korean term for ‘witch’)

The Minister of Education busted a lung as she clutched her hand onto Director Kim’s own, stopping her from raging at Chaejeong, and Miss Lee was freaking out because of the speech.

“She spent every minute of her life just serving her institution towards its proper idiocy. Let’s replicate such a character, everyone.”

The laughter was almost four times as much. Director Kim was already at her limit but with the Minister of Education’s clutch, she couldn’t let go of that rage. She glared at Miss Lee and the librarian defended.

“Next week, PD48 University will go across their levels of skill through the final exams as much as our next graduates will go across to globe to carry the university’s name. Wherever we go, we promise to deliver ourselves with the proper idiocy that we received through the university’s teachings.” Chaejeong raised a fist. “The students of PD48 University will hoist the idiocy flag all over the world!!”

The students cheered and chanted their university name. For the circle of friends, they were onto the trance of endless laughter and claps.

“We’ll show that our capacity for idiocy cannot be matched by a student anywhere on this planet!!”

The applause was louder. Miss Lee was in a panic because of Director Kim’s rage that she got to the side of the stage. The circle of friends’ reaction was so intense that Nako rolled on the floor.

“I’m going to burst a lung, hahahahaha~~” Yuri spat.

“Wooh~!!! Go, Miss 79!!” Chaewon joined in her antics as she cheered.

The noises ceased again as Chaejeong greeted the Minister of Education again, continuing her speech. “To the Minister of Education, good day again. You have given this institution what it sorely needs.”

“Tube funds.” Chaeryeong clarified.

“Crap funds,” Chaejeong spoke on her speech. ( for ‘tube’ and for ‘crap’)

The laughter returned. Miss Lee was scolding Chaejeong for her words. The Minister who laughed moments ago became silent with Director Kim. “What nonsense is that, Director Kim?! That was insulting!”

“Everyone has that crap funds but it remains pocketed…” Chaejeong motioned and Miss Lee was in the brink of fainting. “…that no one offers it so readily.”

Chaejeong’s snide expressions added to the Minister’s anger as she spits it at Director Kim again. “What a vulgar woman!”

“You’ve offered your crap of funds this relentless witch to help her in the idiocy,” Chaejeong spoke. “Now see how she’ll make witches grow to become servers towards success!”

“What the-HAHAHAHAHA~~” Hitomi reacted.

“OMG-triple combo~~!!!” Yena reacted and laughed with Yuri and Chaewon.

Yujin was also laughing, even the silent Minju cracked up. Chaeryeong teared up with her plan and from all the laughter, easing Nako and Hitomi for they’ve rolled on the floor for so long due to all the laughing. The Minister of Education was crossed that she walked away with Director Kim. Miss Lee finally fainted and Sakura was damned of what’s happening, with her mind thinking that this was plotted by someone very familiar.

“To finally conclude this speech, I’ll deliver a saying.”

“Listen to this, Yujin-ah.” Chaeryeong patted her shoulder. “You’re going to love her fart in this one.”

The wind of change comes in good breezes to whose values are honorable

“Wind of change-HAHAHAHA~~ GO GO GO, MISS 79!!” Nako spat through the laughs and cheers.

The dust in the wind comes in large lumps to whose bad behaviors are tolerable

“Yah! You’re right! I’m liking it-HAHAHAHA~~” Yujin reacted to Chaeryeong.

Yujin excused herself and sat in between the roommates that she missed so much, sharing laughter.

Careless whispers come in raging yells to whose voices are terrible

The laughter grew louder than an atomic bomb.

And the sound of silence comes in a tacky move to whose stealthy actions are unbearable

A standing ovation followed, even hankies were tossed like confetti. Chaejeong would’ve done her fine bow when Director Kim came back. She slammed Chaejeong’s head on the mic and almost choked the out of her, adding a kick on her as she yelled at her to get lost. After the speech, everyone thought it was the best one ever heard as they relief from their laughter and went out of the stadium once the program ended.

Chaeryeong and Yena were the last to relieve themselves with a stale Yujin between them. Yena patted Yujin’s back and pointed at Chaejeong. “I can tell you’re cramming like Chaejeong but look at her! That’s what mindless cramming does to you!”

“Cramming may send you through years in college but it’ll transform you into a certified idiot for the next years of the reality!” Chaeryeong added.

Yujin was reminded of their antics that she went off and Minju went with her. The other friends got closer to them, applauding for Chaeryeong’s plan.

“That was a good show, Your Eminence.” Nako clapped.

“As expected from the One.” Yena patted Chaeryeong’s back.

“Thanks.” Chaeryeong grinned. “But Yujin still doesn’t get it.”

+++

In the evening, Chaeryeong, Yena, and Chaewon, gathered around to drink at the highest building in the university, with the flicking fluorescent as their only source of light. They were chugging at a wide variety of drinks as they laughed of remembering Chaejeong’s speech.

“The dust in the wind comes in large lumps to whose bad behaviors are tolerable.” Yena imitated and they laughed.

“Unbelievable-hahaha~~” Chaewon commented, almost choking onto her Coke. “You’re a phenomenon, Chaeryeong-ah. How did you even plan this?”

“That was fun,” Yena added. “She didn’t know what hit her!”

A large break of glass happened close and the friends backed away, carrying their drinks. Chaeryeong was even worried as the glass almost hits Chaewon’s arm. After checking on her, they were shocked to see a drunken Chaejeong.

“What in the world, Chaejeong?! You almost hit someone!” Yena spat.

“You swine!! What have I ever done to you?!” Chaejeong spat and she was teary.

Chaeryeong and Yena defended Chaewon and they faced her, almost laughing.

“Hey, I’m really sorry about that, Chaejeong. I hope you don’t take it personally.” Chaeryeong spoke.

“I will!” Chaejeong spat and they went silent. “Lee Chaejeong will never forget that insult. I’ll remember it every day and in every second of my life!”

“I apologize for such action, really…” Chaeryeong drank as she drew nearer. “That was a demo for Yujin for her not to cram blindly because she’s been doing that ever since she moved onto your room.” She pats Chaejeong’s shoulder. “It’s also a lesson for you not to cram blindly for it’ll affect your health entirely. You can become a good student while enjoying and understanding the wonders of Medicine without doing it-“

“I’m not here to enjoy Medicine!” Chaejeong shoved her arm off.

“What, then? Become an idiot out of it?” Yena cackled with Chaewon that Chaeryeong chuckled along then shushing them.

“Fine. Laugh at my methods…but in time, these methods will bring me to success!!” Chaejeong snapped. “The day will come that I’ll laugh and you es will cry!”

Chaeryeong became serious that Yena and Chaewon were silent. She faced Chaejeong, scratching her own head. “What you said was offensive and unrhetorical, putting you onto the wrong track once again. You don’t chase success, Chaejeong. Become a good student by heart, mind, and soul and success will chase you.”

“Those ideals don’t work in the real world, Lee Chaeryeong!!” Chaejeong spat, unwilling to understand. “You take your train and I’ll take mine. We’ll meet at the same station in the next five years and we’ll see who’s successful…you or me.”

“That’s childish, Chaejeong. I won’t do it.” Chaeryeong spat, causing Yena and Chaewon to react on the back.

“I challenge you! We’ll meet again after five years! Same day and same place! We’ll see who’s more successful and a better model like our Great Senior! Do you have the bosom? Come on and bet!”

A mention about Kaeun triggered Chaeryeong even more, leaving her unconvinced of Chaejeong’s proposition. Chaejeong charged at them like an uncontrolled mass of destruction, leaving Chaeryeong to protect her friends. They watch Chaejeong grab a large shard and waddle her drunk body towards the pillar, scraping the albeit wet cement.

“Watch yourself, Chaejeong.” Chaewon spat.

“Yah, Miss 79. What the are you doing?” Yena also spat. “You’re going to hurt yourself.”

“She’s writing something…but I can’t see it because of the flickering light.” Chaeryeong mumbled.

Chaejeong scraped a date on the cement and threw the shard away. “Don’t you ing forget this date.”

She stormed off. Chaewon and Yena were flustered as they decide to call it a night. Chaeryeong got closer and saw the date.

She may have taken the date in mind but as heart stands, she wasn’t going to waste herself on a petty proposition.