Meeting the Third Idiot

The Mindset of Idiots

In a sullen part of Incheon, one was in an airplane. She was called by another client for a critic convention in France and being the best of her skill worldwide, she had to go.

Her sullen atmosphere of drinking orange juice and reading a brochure was disrupted by a phone call. She mumbled her apology to a fellow passenger next to her and answered. “Hello?”

Is this you, Choi Yena?

“Yeah. Who is this?”

A classmate from five years ago. Meet me at PD48 University; 8:00. I have returned with someone you’re looking for.

Yena knew the voice’s owner that she spat her what loudly, causing a commotion for the other passengers to look at her, even the flight attendant. She was told to turn off her phone but the giant duck asked for one moment.

Alas. The call ended and the plane was on the brink of ascending. That particular call stirred a worry for Yena that she had to get out of the flight.

But how?

“Ma’am! Please sit back down and fasten your seatbelt!”

Yena was frozen as she stood up on the moment the plane’s wheels untouched the runway. She felt dizzy of the gravitational pull, clutching onto her seat while her body was wobbling.

Okay, Yena…now!

Yena collapsed, almost motionless. The crew had to fly back because of her emergency as more flight attendants went to her aid.

Not long after, Yena was set off through a wheelchair, accompanied by a doctor, an airport staff, and another flight attendant. Yena had played along and once the coast was good to go, she opens one eye then jumped off of the wheelchair. She faced the three persons, doing a duck dance.

“See? I’m okay now. Now carry on with your work.” She smiled.

The doctor told her off to stop but the giant duck was stubborn and ran away from them, her feet waddling her to the departure area up towards the main entrance.

She sighed in relief that a particular girl was still there that she pounced and hugged her tight. “Baby~”

“Huh?! What the , Choi Yena?!” She exclaimed and got off of the hug. “What happened?! Why did the plane come back and leave minutes after? Without you?!”

“Choi Yuri-I mean-love…calm down…”

“How the do I calm down?!” Yuri crossed her arms.

“Someone familiar called.” Yena huffed. “She’s been found, love.”

“Oh, …” Yuri mumbled then pulled Yena. “Come on! Back to the car!”

The lovers ran towards Yuri’s Prius, getting in hastily. Yuri stepped up the gas as Yena made a call.

“Where are we off to again!?” Yuri spat as she drove.

Yena cheered and got busy with her phone. Nonetheless, she managed to answer her lover.

“To Yujin and Minju’s.”

+++

A tall girl was snoring to dreamland as another that was a reincarnation of Pepe the Frog was up early to do yoga. A ring cornered their home and Minju exhaled then spoke. “Love! Your phone!”

The taller girl yawned and uncovered herself off of the red blanket. She groaned and scurried her hands towards her phone before answering. “What is it, you duck?”

Yujin, you and Minju get ready. Yuri and I will pick you up in five minutes.

“Yah…I thought you were on your trip to France…” Yujin spoke as she yawned. “…what the hell happened?”

Chaejeong called. Remember her?

“Ugh…you mean Miss 79?”

Yeah…she said Chaeyeon’s coming.

The second name gained Yujin her energy, sitting up directly. “What?”

Yeah. She said to come to PD48 University at 8:00.

Yujin checked the clock and it read 7:57, adding a cuss.

Just shut up and hurry.

Yujin ended the call and looked at Minju. As much as she wanted to stop her yoga, she couldn’t. Minju may be her quiet wife but disturbing her would turn her into a raging frog. In the end, she hastily got ready.

“Love…we found her.”

Minju exhaled and got up. “Why didn’t you say so?!”

“Hehe…because you were meditating-oh, shoes…” Yujin rambled while preparing. “Yena and Yuri are coming in a moment.”

Minju joined her in preparing and ran out of their home after securing it.

“Love, you forgot your pants!”

“Screw the pants, love. My shirt’s long anyways!”

The second couple got out and went inside the Prius, sitting on the backseat with Yujin putting her shoes on.

“Same old, same old, AhnYu.” Yena sighed. “You forgot your pants, you idiot!”

“What?! You said we had to get ready!”

“Enough.” Yuri and Minju spat, silencing their main idiots.

The drive was like a roller coaster ride until they got to the university. Yuri got the car parked and all of them got out. Their weary feet carried them towards the said meeting area and unprepared attires were shrugged off like bad memories on spring break.

The four got to the highest building and stopped to see a woman wearing a very formal attire, almost having a vibe of a CEO. The four were very familiar with her but Yuri and Minju waited on the side. Yujin and Yena were the main ones to deal with her that they got closer, all the while they called for their lost friend.

“Welcome back, idiots. You even brought your girlfriends along.”

“They’re our wives, you head.” Yena spat.

“Yah, Lee Chaejeong! Where’s Chaeyeon?!” Yujin also spat.

Lee Chaejeong smirked, looking at a definition from Wikipedia in her phone before facing the two.

“Want a Black Label? It’s the drink you guzzled years back.” Chaejeong aimed the drink at Yena. “Have some.”

Yena was quick to catch the bottle but Yujin was getting restless. “Where in the bloody hell is Chaeyeon, Chaejeong?!”

“Patience. Look at this first.”

The two drew nearer and looked at a picture Chaejeong had in her phone.

“Heol…you have Chanju and Minji as your wives?” Yena asked.

“Look at the mansion, idiots.” Chaejeong hissed. “It costs three million dollars, has a heated swimming pool and maple wood floorings.”

“And so?” Yujin raised an eyebrow.

“Wait. There’s still my car.” Chaejeong scrolled. “Lamborghini 6496 CC. Very fast.”

“For the love of-why are you showing us that?!” Yena crossed her arms.

“Have you guys forgotten?” Chaejeong asked and showed the calendar. “Remember this date?”

“That’s today’s date.” Yujin answered.

Chaejeong got to Yuri and Minju’s spot and excused them off. She got a towel, scraping the moss off of the old building wall and it showed the same date.

Yujin didn’t know at first, Yena recalled little, but Chaejeong remembered everything.

I challenge you! We’ll meet again after five years! Same day and same place! We’ll see who’s more successful and a better model like our Great Senior! You have the bosom? Come on and bet!

“Remember? I challenged the idiot right here. I kept my promise and now, I’m back!”

Yuri got the drink off of Yena’s hand and threw it towards Chaejeong, sending the latter cowering and ducking as the contents spilled and the shards scattered around.

“Jackass!” She spat and the rest joined. “My wife aborted her flight, Yujin forgot her pants, I wasted my gas, and Minju was disrupted with her morning meditation, all to meet Chaeyeon!”

“Yeah! We searched for her for two years and we don’t know if she’s alive or if she followed our Great Senior!” Yena joined her wife and spat.

“Now I know she won’t show up.” Chaejeong remained her cocky persona.

Now it was Minju’s turn to get pissed and Yujin stopped her. “Love, I need to break her jaw. Do join me.”

“Hold it!” Yuri and Yena stopped them.

“So why did you call us here?” Yena asked.

“To meet Chaeyeon. Come and see where I rose up and where she rots.”

“So you know where Chaeyeon is?!” Yujin wanted a clarification.

“Yes.” Chaejeong smirked. “She’s in Cheorwon.”

The goose chase was annoying but hearing something about Chaeyeon made the four’s hearts light and happy. Chaejeong rolled her eyes and motioned them to follow.

“Was the van yours?” Yuri asked Chaejeong.

“Yeah.”

“We’re stopping by our house to park the Prius. We’ll use that ing van of yours.” She added before following her wife.

+++

All the conditions were set and now, the four friends were now with Chaejeong, going on a trip to the other side of the country through long roads and sullen views of natures. The wives rested on the back seat while their idiotic husbands were next to them as their minds went to a similar trip down memory lane.

Chaeyeon. Lee Chaeyeon. In school, she had the name Chaeryeong. The friends bore the first name in their hearts for it was her realest, truest, and most unique name, just like her persona was. For Chaejeong, calling her an idiot was enough.

From birth, most people were taught of one thing- Life is a race. Run fast of you’ll be trampled.

It was rhetorical. Even to be born, 300 million cells race and only one of them can get the only egg cell to produce a particular life. It also applies with the lives inside the van.

One of the was Choi Yena, born on September 29, 1999. A few minutes after her birth and after her parents and four-year old brother gathered around her, her mother announced that she was going to be a medical professional. Choi Yena, RMT, she said. With that, her fate was sealed.

Did anyone ask her what she wanted to be? No. But their story with Chaeyeon changed everything.

She knew the story of their lives very well and it was a memory close to her whole being.


Yena carried her two suitcases and a ducky pillow and entered the gates of PD48 University. It was two days before the school year starts and freshmen were required to arrive early. The inside was great, from brick walls to the maple floorings of the hallways. The latter didn’t have time to sightsee as she went to the bulletin board of the dorm assignments, all thanks to a midget who guided her.

She got towards the list of freshmen and saw hers in between two other names.

“Ahn Yujin…Lee Chaeryeong…”

“Room number?” The midget asked again.

“D-26.”

The midget carried her bags and motioned Yena to follow. She managed to spare her introduction and the ducky reacted.

“I’m Yabuki Nako, a Japanese working student taking Engineering. The others call me Kim Nako, sometimes Yabuki Jandi. For getting basic necessities, doing personal chores, finishing journals, and copying assignments, I’m your woman.”

“Uh…you have a fixed rate?” Yena asked.

“Minimum of 100000 Won. No bargaining of anything, no other medium of payment, and the such because I need money for my tuition.” Nako spoke. “Doesn’t pay to be in middle class because PD48 University is expensive.”

Yena saw a sight and Nako stopped. The giant duck got a camera and took pictures of a Mama duck and her precious ducklings.

“The ducks are named Ni, San, Yon, Go, Roku, Nana, Hachi, and Ichi, their mother. Click away because they’ll be turned into pot roast in few years time.”

“Aish, stop with that mood!” Yena spoke and Nako laughed.

The two arrived at the room and were greeted by another student, praying while holding five figures on her table: Vishnu, God, Jesus, Allah, and the Buddha.

“Aigoo…a God-fearing soul…Gods-fearing soul, rather…” Nako spoke and puts Yena’s stuff on her bed, together with her ducky pillow.

“Hey, I’m Choi Yena.”

“Ahn Yujin.” She spoke then prayed again and blew incense towards Yena, earning a cough.

“Don’t worry. A few days here and she’ll lose faith on the five deities altogether. She’ll then be distracted by cute girls and say, ‘Oh Lord, give me one chance with her!’, then get into a relationship with many of them.” Nako added.

“Aish, get out of here.” Yujin spat, pointing at the door.

“50000 Won per bag.” Nako lent her small hand to Yena.

“Here. Two 100 USDs. Get them converted.” Yena handed the bills.

“Thank you, boss. You’re a favorite now. For that, I’ll return a tip.” Nako pointed, going out then facing the duo. “Wear your best undergarments tonight.”

Nako closed the door, leaving Yujin to question her why.

+++

It was one ty night for the freshmen. It was a university tradition that on the first day, freshmen must pay respect to their seniors in their undergarments. Yena and Yujin went with it, doing anything they say like robots while their skins shivered because of the exposure to cold air.

The duo thought it was embarrassing. For a moment, the passing seconds of the night would be more dreadful when a late freshman arrived, wearing her headset and carrying a large backpack.

“Yo, Miho! A late slab of fresh meat has arrived!”

“Bring her closer, Saho.”

Saho pulled the freshman closer and Miho joined her in harassing the younger, plucking her nametag, breaking her headset, and pouring water on her pants, all because she wouldn’t take her clothes off like the others.

“Oi, Lee Chaejeong! Tell this uncultured swine the consequence if she disobeys the seniors.”

The woman in her Union Jack undergarments ran closer after doing a skit of James Bond, whispering. “Yah. You have to pay respect in your undergarments or else they’ll take all your stuff as a compensation…for the whole semester!”

“Heard that, freshy?” Miho spoke. “Now clothes off.”

The freshman was unmoved and mumbled something while patting her chest. Yena and Yujin were intrigued, their hands involuntary to put their shorts back on until Miho faced them, forcing them down again. She looked back again, seeing that the freshman went inside her assigned room.

The other freshmen watched as Miho got crossed and ran towards the door, knocking it several times.

“Oi!” She slammed a fist. “You better get out of there or I’ll beat the out of you and your roommates!”

“…” Yena mumbled to Yujin.

“The rebellious one had to be our roommate. We been knew…” Yujin mumbled back.

Miho counted off as a compensation but even if she already reached ten, the door didn’t open. She reached for the knob, only to scream in pain. The other seniors checked on her and some of the freshmen laughed. The door opened one time and they saw the freshman holding a lit lighter underneath the other doorknob.

“Metal is the most effective conductor there is; General Physics.” A voice spoke, freezing everyone. “You only cram the idea and memorize it but she applied it.”

“It’s Great Senior Lee Kaeun! Abort!” Miho snapped and the seniors left the freshmen alone.

Another woman arrived, her ambiance just like the rebellious freshman. Juniors and sophomores who remained spared their bows and greetings, even one came to hug her. She got to the freshmen and they were quick to redress.

“Who are the roommates of that student?”

Yena and Yujin gulped and raised their hands. “We are, Kaeun-nim.”

Kaeun chuckled and gave a little nod. “You got yourselves a gifted one. Do take care of her.”

They didn’t understand but they could only nod. She told the freshmen to get back to their rooms and they instantly scattered inside like rats.

Yujin and Yena got to theirs, checking the knob. It was still hot but bearable and Yena opened the door, only to be greeted by their sleeping rebellious roommate.

She was Lee Chaeryeong. For Yena and Yujin, meeting their last roommate was going to be a start of their new lives in the university.

+++

“Wake up, you s!!” A midget banged pots and pans, its sound surrounding the freshmen dorm. “The Terrorist has summoned you big babies and will be orienting you all!! She’s on her way with some eggs!!”

Freshmen as they are, they were awakened and they had to obey. They hastily got up from their beds without sparing any time to wash and what not and got down the main lobby in their messy hair, pajamas, and slippers.

“Nako, calm the down with those pots and pans.” A tall woman was out doing her daily morning jog.

“Sorry, Great Senior. I don’t want the freshies to become sacrificial pancakes on the first day for being unpunctual.”

“Nako, you can call me Kaeun.”

“Sure, sure, Kaeun-san.” Nako saluted. “Now go on with your jog.”

Kaeun nodded and sprinted again, getting greetings from all the students who passed by. She greeted them back with great fervor but as she passed by someone who rode a bicycle and had a nest on its back compartment, she stopped and bowed.

“Oh, Lee Kaeun. Greetings to you.”

“Director.” She bowed again.

“Have the freshmen gathered?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

The woman lets the senior carry on with her endeavor. Kaeun looked back and chuckled.

Miss Kim, a woman of an unknown first name but with a great title. She was the Director of PD48 University, the Terrorist as most of the higher students called. She was the most competitive person in the institution, making sure that no one gets ahead of her for it was an unbearable feeling for her part. Her shirts had Velcro and her bows had pins for convenience. She trained to become an ambidextrous writer, took naps every 10:00 AM for 7 minutes and listened to operas as a lullaby.

Honda Hitomi was her valet. She was like Nako, a working sophomore in Engineering. If Nako did errands for the students, Hitomi does such for faculty members, mostly towards the Director. However, her tasks done for the Director were dubbed as unproductive, like plucking her strands of white hair, popping her pimples, clipping her nails, and doing her makeup.

The Director had parked her bike and got the nest with a bird figure on the side. She walked towards the main lobby, getting greetings from all the students, especially towards other freshmen who were rushing before she could get there. Nonetheless, the freshmen lined up as Director Kim got to the front, with Hitomi on her side, tired from carrying a large box.

“You.” She called a student, specifically Lee Chaejeong.  “Tell me. What am I holding?”

“A nest, ma’am.”

“What kind of nest?”

“A koel bird’s nest, ma’am.”

“Wrong.” Director Kim pointed. “Koel birds don’t have nests for they don’t make one. They only lay on other bird’s nest. Now…” She got an egg. “What happens if the fowl sees other eggs other than its own?”

The little product of an avian being was dropped onto the concrete, its whites and yolk mixing like stained paint.

“The competition’s over. Their lives revolve around a nature that begins with murder.” Director Kim gave the nest to Hitomi. “In other words, compete…or die.”

In Chaeryeong’s perspective, it was ultimately against her will. Because for her, life shouldn’t work like a machine because that’s not living. That’s surviving. And such terms are different…very, very different…

It was unnatural. People are very different and make their own paths in life. But at the end of the day, humans are humans. Life shouldn’t be a race. No one should get trampled down just because they don’t come first. Everyone has their own time and people should be on their own time zones as long as they don’t quit.

Chaeryeong believed that plus an unforgettable event played a factor for that.

Back to the real situation, Nako’s imitation of the Director while ironing a lot of clothes was a humorous and hidden skit for Chaeryeong but her eyes then averted towards the thrown application forms from that large box Hitomi carried.

They were the application forms of the rejected ones. Director Kim mentioned that those who stepped foot in PD48 University were the koel birds and the rejected ones were the eggs they’ve smashed to get into the institution.

“Let me tell you another story.” Director Kim got a pin. “This is the Diamond Pin. It bears the symbol of our institution but it’s no ordinary pin.”

The pin had a button, turning it into a Swiss Army knife, a fidget spinner, even into a pocket WiFi. It wowed the students. For Chaeryeong, it was nifty in a sense.

“Three special necessities are merged into one with this invention. Getting the three individually is a hassle plus it isn’t legalized in school premises. Excelling students who made it through this institution came up with the idea and sponsors spent millions in building such an invention for our school. It helps the student to be nifty, composed, and resourceful.” Director Kim continued with her story. “When I was a graduating student, the Director during my time called me and showed me this pin. She said that it was a symbol of excellence…so she gave it to me for being dubbed as one, just like her.”

“Daebak…” Yena mumbled. “I want that pin.”

“Me too.” Yujin added.

“There were three pins made in the beginning. Directors kept them and gave one to an excelling and extraordinary student once they finish. The Director of my time said that when I encounter one, give her the pin.” Director Kim added. “So far, being the Director for the past twenty years, only Miss Lee Kaeun was worthy of this pin.”

“Director, you and Great Senior have the pin?” Chaejeong asked.

“Correct. If Miss Lee becomes the next Director, she can pass it down to a future excelling student, otherwise, she keeps it as her own.” Director Kim spoke. “For now, I only have the power to do that. Now…who wants to strive hard for this pin?”

Most of them raised their hands. Director Kim nodded and told them to put their hands, just in time for Chaeryeong to raise hers. Director Kim saw her and had a look.

“Do I need to post it on the bulletin board? I said put your hands down.”

“Ma’am, I have a question.” Chaeryeong spoke. “Why choose a little pin that does only three things a reward for an excelling student when you can give something more significant, like free insurance or basic necessities?”

The rest laughed. Director Kim was taken aback, even Chaejeong, Yena, and Yujin. For Chaeryeong, it was a really serious question for her. “Rewards mentioned recently have greater value than a pin.”

Chaeryeong maintained her curiosity. Director Kim was silent, facing Hitomi. Hitomi looked at Chaeryeong, shushing her, as the rest of the students waited for the Director to answer.

“I’ll get back to you on this.”

It stirred the superiority complex inside the Director as she instructs the freshmen to go back to their dorm rooms and left, leaving Hitomi on her place to clean the mess up. It shocked the students that the Director had cut her tongue, much more of a fellow student that had silenced her.

For Yujin and Yena being her roommates, that moment was another shocking phase of their lives in university.

+++

It was a new start. Classes came and went and friendships built for the students. For Yena and Yujin, they stuck around since they were in the same course and the same class. And being roommates, the strength of the bond added.

“Hey, Chaeryeong also took medicine, right?” Yena asked. “Why isn’t she in class with us?”

“Yena, she had been the talk lately.” Yujin started. “She’s the said student professors sent out in every class. Remember the last time when we memorized the skeletal system?”

“Oh, yeah…” Yena nodded. “…she managed to recite all 206 bones and ended with the phrase, ‘What’s the use of this? They’re bones all the same.’ But come to think of it…” She stopped the taller. “…she has a point.”

“Ugh…don’t get delusional, Yena.” Yujin added. “Remember that she pointed her finger at the Director at day and burned a senior’s hand at night. Even if she’s our roommate, it’s best to avoid her.”

On cue, Chaeryeong was on their view, playing with a Rubix Cube. Yena always spared a wave and Chaeryeong saw them, always waving back.

“Where have you been all day, Chaeryeong-ah?” Yena asked her.

“I went with Kaeun-nim and learned Hematology. I inserted myself inside the class she was in.” Chaeryeong answered. “She also invited us to have dinner.”

“Woah! We’re invited by the Great Senior herself?!” Yena felt excited, getting a nod from Chaeryeong and nudging Yujin. “Come on, roommate. Let’s go with Chaeryeong.”

“I’ll pass. I need to memorize the muscular system tonight.” Yujin spoke.

“Killjoy.” Yena stuck a tongue and got to Chaeryeong’s side. “I’m coming with her tonight. Go and cram on the book and help me memorize tomorrow.”

“Eh?! You’re leaving me?!”

“Just catch up of you want to. I’m one call away, friend.”

Chaeryeong and Yena went ahead. Yujin cursed and decided to go with them. As they walked, they met up two working students.

“Nako and Hitomi are invited too.” Chaeryeong added, sparing greetings to them.

“Hey, future Great Senior!” Nako gave her a high-five. “I still cannot recover on the day you deflated the Director’s bosom.”

“Nako-chan~” Hitomi scolded her. “It’s rude but you had a point.”

“Thou art great, Your Eminence.” Nako groveled, facing back and exposing her underwear. “Accept this humble offering.”

Hitomi, Yena, and Yujin reacted. Chaeryeong could only chuckle and poke Nako’s before she fixed herself and they walked again.

“Has Kaeun-san waited for too long?” Chaeryeong asked Hitomi as they all walked.

Hitomi nodded and they stopped by the main lobby. Kaeun was with other women, all in different courses and levels. Two of them were noticed by Yena and Yujin and they were at a standstill. Nako and Hitomi wondered and stopped as Chaeryeong chuckled.

“Some people are in love at first sight.” She mumbled.

“Watch it.” Yena heard her and pouted.

Hitomi and Nako got the idea and joined Chaeryeong with the teasing. Yena was blushing like hell while Yujin hissed and mostly threatened Nako since she the most.

“Buzz off, guys. Shouldn’t you sophomores encourage us?” She added a fist.

“And who’re you to say that to us? Call your dad to tell us that then we’ll obey.” Nako cackled.

Yujin was triggered and carried Nako using her shirt. The rest of them stopped Yujin, even Kaeun and her friends.

“Relax, bud,” said Chaeryeong.

“Calm down, guys.”

“Great Senior!” The rest bowed and Chaeryeong only waved.

“Chaeryeong, I’m glad you got Yena and Yujin to join us. Don’t be nervous.” Kaeun spoke and had her hands on the shoulders of three girls. “Yuri, Minju, and Chaewon are your fellow freshies.”

“Kaeun-chan, we should go now.” A cherry blossom spoke. “We’ll spare the details when we get to the restaurant.”

Kaeun agreed as she and the cherry blossom went ahead. Chaeryeong went with Chaewon, Nako and Hitomi while Yujin and Yena were in a faze as Yuri and Minju were with them.

“H-Hi…Choi Yena.” She lent a hand, her gaze focusing on Yuri.

“Jo Yuri. Nice to meet you.” Yuri shook back.

Yena managed to shake hands with Minju, same with Yujin with Yuri.

“Nice to meet you.” Minju lent a hand to Yujin. “Kim Minju.”

“Ahn Yujin.” She introduced and shook her hand.

The two pairs were in their own dazes but seeing the group far enough, they followed.

“Isn’t that Lee Chaeryeong who silenced the Director?” Yuri asked, pointing at the cheeky girl laughing with the two sophomores and freshman. “That’s really unbelievable of her to do that.”

“I agree.” Yujin said. “Crazy, right?”

“It’s not, at least that’s what Great Senior says.” Minju shared. “Chaewon shared it to her and she said that it isn’t that bad. She’s just curious and witty.”

The four had their talks from there, from a story of Kaeun and Chaeryeong’s similarities to another story of Chaeryeong and Kaeun giving money to Nako and Hitomi while telling them that they can actually go and learn to schools without tuition money by just wearing the designated school’s uniform, adding that no one will notice drops like them in the sea of students and that if they’re caught, a new uniform and a new school will always add up and will be equal to another gateway for learning.

“That’s crazy.” Yujin sighed, shaking her head.

Between the roommates, Yujin was oblivious while Yena understood the ways and was in awe. Chaeryeong was uniquely gifted and different, challenging conventions in every stage. Like Kaeun, she was a free-willed bird landing in Director Kim’s nest.

In a typical institution for learning, students were cornered in their classrooms and were turned into robots, programmed to follow the commands of professors, almost in a blinding way. For Chaeryeong, one is born human so one must stay human. Humans have emotions and wisdom. Machines don’t.

Chaeryeong was her humane self, eager to grasp every opportunity she gets to learn.

+++

The friends clunked their drinks and spared their thanks to Kaeun for the meals. For Chaeryeong, she drank her soda right away. Her eyes were focused on the students before her, all the while she remembered their introductions.

Jo Yuri was a freshman in Fine Arts while Kim Minju was a freshman in Economics. They both studied in the same elementary school until university, with the differences of courses and class schedules. They were also roommates with Kim Chaewon, her fellow classmate in Medicine, the one she would describe as quiet.

She already knew Yabuki Nako and Honda Hitomi; sophomores in Engineering facing poverty yet having strong hearts for learning and finishing their studies.

And she wouldn’t forget her roommates Choi Yena and Ahn Yujin, fellow roommates and fellow freshmen in Medicine. Yena was forced to study for her family while Yujin studied because she wanted a better future for herself and for her family. She would’ve excelled but fear was getting the best of her.

Lee Kaeun was a senior version of herself. She was just like her during her years, sometimes threatened to be expelled. But being in a powerful family and a very excelling student without much of bad records, the university couldn’t just get rid of her. For Kaeun, she couldn’t let go of her studies, her dreams, and her inspiration.

The said inspiration was hugging her tight and was the most beautiful woman Chaeryeong had ever seen.

She was Miyawaki Sakura, a junior in Nursing. She was average in her studies but was really hardworking. If Yena and Yujin had the experience of love at first sight, Chaeryeong had that with Sakura. The difference? They have chances but she won’t because the said crush has a really decent girlfriend. Chaeryeong will never mind because one, it’s just a crush phase. Two, she’s in the hands of the most decent woman she had ever known and three, there was still her first love.

Her first love enrolled in PD48 University and studied Medicine but she didn’t last because of death. The cause was unknown but Chaeryeong was eager to study there and get answers for her.

“You okay, Chaeryeong-chan?” Sakura asked, holding her arm.

“Hm?” The latter’s eyes went wide. “Oh. I’m okay.”

“Have some more soda, Chaeryeong.” Kaeun added, pouring her another glass.

Chaeryeong nodded and had another drink while engaging on more talks with friends. At the back of her mind, her college life was going to be more fun with such people added in her life.